Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm damage - public loss assessor

• 24-02-2020 11:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

I went to my insurance broker today to begin the process of claiming for storm damage to my property.

He wrote down a phone number and told me they deal with these type of claims.

I rang the number. It was a public loss assessor. The guy at my insurance broker desk never said anything about a public assesor. I assumed it was just the broker/insurance company claim line.

I didn't agree to use the assesor, I said I would get back to them.

1. I thought it was a bit cheeky of my broker, maybe not?

2. I can easily get my quotes and send them in to my broker, that stuff doesn't bother me at all. Any advantage to using the assesor? I only see the negative - I have to pay them 10%.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Would you not contact your insurer regarding the claim, rather than the broker? I always go through the insurer directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Public Loss Assessors have their uses in a complicated property claim. I'm a claims handler and I would use one for a big loss. While I know my policy wordings and entitlements. I know little about construction and possible long term effects of water/fire damage etc.

Your broker should have clearly identified that he was referring you to a PLA and that there would be a charge to you. The broker should also notify your insurer for you, co-ordinate paperwork and loss adjuster inspection

Advertisement