Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Music tracks that sound like other Music tracks

• 25-02-2020 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Been on a bigtime digging buzz of this sort of stuff lately. Great Tracks that sound very very similar to other great tracks from different artists. "Eighties" by Killing Joke and "Come as you are" by Nirvana

+

Then you have the definite guitar riff rip of Nirvana's 'Very Ape' for start and continuation of The Prodigy's 'Voodoo People'

+

Anybody got any of theirs

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Can't post videos but George Michael's A Different Corner and U2's Mothers of the Disappeared sound very similar in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Good wan, another two here with U2

+

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Alphabet Song sounds suspiciously similar to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

There's a song out at the moment that sounds like Blue by Eiffel 65 and it's driving me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

There's the famous case of George Harrison's My Sweet Lord being very similar to He's So Fine by the Chiffons. George was sued for copyright infringement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Alphabet Song sounds suspiciously similar to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

AND BAA BAA BLACK SHEEP OMG!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Friday Night August 14th by Funkadelic and Foxy Lady by Jimi Hendrix.

+

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Miose

Omackeral wrote: »
    AND BAA BAA BLACK SHEEP OMG!!!!!!!

Guess I’m just somebody that you used to know....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Lot's of Nirvana above, were they doing the robbing or being robbed?

• Advertisement

Bit of column A, Bit of column B. Everybody be robbing off everybody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

True. Probably no such thing as an "original" song these days. As Twenty One Pilots say in Stressed Out;

I wish I found some better sounds no one's ever heard
    I wish I had a better voice that sang some better words
    I wish I found some chords in an order that is new
    I wish I didn't have to rhyme every time I sang

Which is probably copying someone else somewhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

moonage wrote: »
    There's the famous case of George Harrison's My Sweet Lord being very similar to He's So Fine by the Chiffons. George was sued for copyright infringement.

Good call. Don't look back in anger oasis/ Imagine and jealous guy by Lennon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

buried wrote: »
    Been on a bigtime digging buzz of this sort of stuff lately. Great Tracks that sound very very similar to other great tracks from different artists. "Eighties" by Killing Joke and "Come as you are" by Nirvana

Anybody got any of theirs

The Damned did it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 quazzy1

Then you have the definite guitar riff rip of Nirvana's 'Very Ape' for start and continuation of The Prodigy's 'Voodoo People'

The Prodigy directly sampled 'Very Ape' in 'Voodoo People', so it literally is the same guitar riff... it's just been edited. Nirvana are credited on the album for this. There's a good few other tunes sampled on there too!

This video is worth checking out if you want to see how The Prodigy (ie. Liam Howlett) went about making the tune:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

quazzy1 wrote: »
    This video is worth checking out if you want to see how The Prodigy (ie. Liam Howlett) went about making the tune:

thats kinda reproducing the effects with modern technology, I'd love to see it done with samplers and equipment of the time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

there was a tune recently enough that had a bit, that sounded like a bit out of 'We're Alive' by Paul van Dyk...

it's here from about 1:36 in the song, linked
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I64KxnINy8#t=96

can't remember what the song was, but i'm sure someone will point it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

For those of a certain age.
    David Bowies 'The Jean Genie' and The Sweets 'Blockbuster'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Bit of column A, Bit of column B. Everybody be robbing off everybody

Not so much people robbing from Nirvana and those accused would really be taking from the original people Nirvana took the song from.

I remember the first time I heard Nevermind. Found it utterly boring and effectively just 3 songs reworked that they had ripped off from other people. Popular but not innovative and far too much retrospective importance added to them due Cobain's death.

Lazy journalism rewrites music history all the time. Punk is made out to have changed everything when it didn't sell very well and Prog Rock vastly more popular at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Not so much people robbing from Nirvana and those accused would really be taking from the original people Nirvana took the song from.

I remember the first time I heard Nevermind. Found it utterly boring and effectively just 3 songs reworked that they had ripped off from other people. Popular but not innovative and far too much retrospective importance added to them due Cobain's death.

Lazy journalism rewrites music history all the time. Punk is made out to have changed everything when it didn't sell very well and Prog Rock vastly more popular at the time.

You are very very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 quazzy1

thats kinda reproducing the effects with modern technology, I'd love to see it done with samplers and equipment of the time...

Yeah, it would've been more complicated to do back in the early 90s as well. It really makes you appreciate the work he puts into the tunes though!

You are very very wrong.

About what? The importance of punk or the complete lack of innovation by Nirvana?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    About what? The importance of punk or the complete lack of innovation by Nirvana?

Well, both to be honest.

Nevermind is a huge record. Easily one of the best released in the last 50 years of recorded music. It's iconic.

In Utero is arguably the better work but Nevermind was a cultural zeitgeist of the 90s and a damn good sounding one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Queen's and Bowie's Under Pressure is a total rip off of Vanilla Ice's Ice Ice Baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

I was listening to a track by Heldens and he literally exactly sampled one of Kerri Chandler's records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭gabria

Hello I love you (the Doors) v All day and all of the night (the Kinks)
    Lets spend the night together (the Stones) v David Watts (the Jam)
    Hey Jude outro (the Beatles) v One day like this outro (Elbow)

Well, both to be honest.

Nevermind is a huge record. Easily one of the best released in the last 50 years of recorded music. It's iconic.

In Utero is arguably the better work but Nevermind was a cultural zeitgeist of the 90s and a damn good sounding one too.

Saying Nevermind was hugely successful doesn't say anything about whether it was innovative or not. Reality is it was nothing new unlike other celebrated albums. I don't like Hotel Calafornia but I still understand the importance and innovation involved. Very repetitive album.

Punk really was nowhere near as important as claimed. It was really two different movements with UK punk and US punk really not being the same thing. It was quite short lived and the biggest change it made was really people saw the importance of being able to play your instruments. Heavey Metal has had a longer and bigger impact. I like punk but if you actually were around you would know it was not the way it is described now. You would see bands were not that influenced by punk directly and primarily took from the same sources not punk itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Here's another one:
    American Girl by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    vs
    Last Night by The Strokes

Cannot access YouTube from work - sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

X

Doesn't bother me too much, still one of my favourite Oasis tunes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Lots of older songs getting mentioned so here's a more recent one

Taylor Swift - Calm down & MIA - Paper Planes

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

There is a site called who sampled who. Full of them.

It's whosampled.com

I made a few mixes named for the site where I play the original soul/funk/jazz/reggae/whatever song followed by a track that heavily samples it:

https://www.mixcloud.com/iamstop/passion-of-the-crates-who-sampled-vol-1-16th-sept-2018/

https://www.mixcloud.com/iamstop/passion-of-the-crates-who-sampled-vol-2-11112018/

https://www.mixcloud.com/iamstop/passion-of-the-crates-who-sampled-vol-3-19022019/

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Daniel O’Donnell - Make me a channel of your peace

And

Cannibal Corpse - Meat hook sodomy

Uncanny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's this classic.

https://edition.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/23/uk.silence/
    British composer Mike Batt found himself the subject of a plagiarism action for including the song, "A One Minute Silence," on an album for his classical rock band The Planets.

He was accused of copying it from a work by the late American composer John Cage, whose 1952 composition "4'33"" was totally silent.

On Monday, Batt settled the matter out of court by paying an undisclosed six-figure sum to the John Cage Trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

The beginning of Rear View Mirror by Pearl Jam is identical to the beginning of Liberty Bell by Autamata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Lady Antebellum "Need you now" (2009) vs. Alan Parsons "Eye in the Sky" (1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Stevie Nicks - Edge of 17 (1982) (sampled in Destiny's Child - Bootylicious)

Survivor -Eye of the Tiger (1982)

Alan Parsons - I wouldn't want to be like you (1977) (24 to 50 seconds)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

The style Council's Long Hot Summer '(C) 1983 Polydor Ltd. (UK)'
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CAzwewVjZ0

is Thriller
    (Written by Rod TempertonProduced by Quincy Jones for Quincy Jones Productions
    From the album Thriller, released November 30, 1982 Released as a single January 23, 1984)

speeded up. Or vice versa!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Mmm Bop by Hanson (1997) v Unpretty by TLC (1999) TLC effort is a complete copy, especially the verses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Listen to the Star Wars main title intro and the Kings Row main title. Not exactly a rip off but clearly heavily influenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Pearl Jam's "I am Mine", sounds exactly like Dennis Leary's spoof "Traditional Irish Folk Song", and Leary did his first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Wishing by A Flock of Seagulls is ripped off by Bruce Springsteen on We take care of our own

• Advertisement
Advertisement