Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage carried out unauthorised work - what are my rights?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Dav010 wrote: »
    Tradesmen, yes, but unlike a tradesman, garages tend to have ancillary staff, property costs and those diagnostics computers they use are extremely expensive, so they are not obliged, nor should it be presumed, that their time has no value.

It's great that you think a tradesman time has no value
    A lot if people think this unfortunately.

I wonder would you work for nothing for a few hours most evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Or would anyone by happy with their employer trying to cut their wages every day of the week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Marloag2020

Not the topic of the thread at all, I've already stated that I expected to pay for their time spent looking into the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

it is a 2005 Focus with a near expired NCT and a dodgy ECU, a load of NCT work needed, and an unauthorised repair bill......just cut your losses and leave the car there and forget about it. They can keep their unauthorised repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m actually on your side on this, I think all service providers should put a value on their time. My point was that the value placed on a garages time is more tangible because they have a premises and often ancillary staff, but like you, I believe that if you call out a tradesman, there should be a cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,667 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Op explained to garage clearly that he wanted no repairs until he was sure it was worth doing. Garage had a choice 'take away your car' or quote.

They chose to quote. Diagnostic equipment is no longer as expensive as 10+years ago. Diagnostic equipment for a 2005 car is bog standard in most garages nowadays. My mechanic working for himself has such equipment that covers 90% issues with cars

I understand that garages may charge for such diagnostics but this needs to be highlighted to customers if they intend to. But it was not unreasonable to look for a quote for work on a 2005 car that was due an NCT. You do not need the on board computer to check what condition a car is for NCT.

Tyres, brakes, headlights, suspensions, general wear and tear on the car. 10 minutes on a hoist by a decent mechanic will tell you if a car is economical to chance repairing for an NCT.

While 120 may be the charge for a.pick up.on Dublin, I have got a car picked up and dropped 10miles away for 60euro at 7pm in evening, tow truck was on the road at the time.

It immaterial about use of diagnostic equipment or trades people expectations, consumers have a right to request quote and a garage has a right to refuse to work for nothing or not give a quote. But if customer gives instructions the garage should obey them and if it requires to charge for diagnostics it should make that clear.

In general I have seen such charges from main dealers in general they are in the 50-70euro if not getting work done at garage. If you are it is included in the quote

Slava Ukrainii

if you have breakdown cover you could call them and then when the tow truck arrives just tell them to bring it home, or wherever you want, and to log it as a breakdown. I did this before to get an immobilised car moved somwhere and it was no bother, the driver was sound and obliged. Sure they don't give a bollox, they just log it as a breakdown tow and they get paid either way by the insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Ask them what the cost would be for just the diagnostics work done so far. If they've spent significant time, it might not be that much less than the bill for replacing the ECU.

2005 car. My honest advice is to be done with it and forget about it and let the garage scrap it. You could fill out a change of ownership form and get a friend to p.p. sign it for them and send it off. It is done sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

My advice is to contact the manager/boss of the garage & clarify exactly what the €380 is for. Then simply inform them that there seems to have been miscommunication somewhere at their end as regards to the ECU, that you didn't authorise any repairs to be carried out without your specific agreement, & that the secretary has confirmed that this was also her understanding & even has a note on your file confirming that no repair work was to be done. See what they say. Maybe ye could reach some mutual agreement that satisfies you both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Garage was rather foolish to spend time on repairs of a 05 car, with 300km and nct expiry next week. They should have been double and triple checking that you wanted to spend money on a car that is worth very little.
    OP you can listen to what they say tomorrow but if it's more money than you want to spend, tell them thank you very much, what do I owe for diagnosis and I'll arrange to get the car picked up

abandon it to them and let them shoulder the cost of getting rid of it and see how they like them apples.
    you could also kick in all the panels on it so that it will be worthless for re-selling body panels. It is still your car so you are perfectly entilted to do this.
    Two can play this game, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Not a great idea if you might want to use the same garage again. If it's possible it would be better if OP can work out some compromise with the garage.

Advertisement