Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lahv Lahn: we can’t get de virus as we’re an island Editio

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Another 75 minutes of quality public service broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭urgelgru

Joe trying to get him off the line and he's still asking about de fuel allowance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Darcy in full control

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

"I can resonate completely..." Joe not asking the caller to eleaborate on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

And Farcy ****s up the handover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Talk to Bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭cozar

Where are you from originally? Athlone. Not the response he normally gets when he asks that question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

YFlyer wrote: »
    Talk to Bonkers.
    Or you could just listen to bonkers on rte radio one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

the weather has been great, no need for heat during the day.

Everyone has the hand out , the country will be feckin broke

This great recession coming will hopefully cull the chancers.

• Advertisement

Darcy asleep again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

gmisk wrote: »
    Or you could just listen to bonkers on rte radio one

Lol true. Going to head back to Sean Moncrief for light listening.

This pandemic is gonna see some inventions to serve us well in the future. Apart from medical advances, technology to help the old and sick communicate with loved ones will become commonplace. People who are not up to using iPhones etc will benefit from “virtual visitor” robot screens in hospital which can be switched on and off with the help of care assistants etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

YFlyer wrote: »
    Lol true. Going to head back to Sean Moncrief for light listening.
    Movies and booze!
    I am in!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

dvcireland wrote: »
    Darcy in full control

You could say Ray Darcy.... is just soft, a poncy little boy that would wilt in the face of hardship, unlike most of the old folk.

A f*ckwit and a soft boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

This pandemic is gonna see some inventions to serve us well in the future. Apart from medical advances, technology to help the old and sick communicate with loved ones will become commonplace. People who are not up to using iPhones etc will benefit from “virtual visitor” robot screens in hospital which can be switched on and off with the help of care assistants etc.

All a bunch of nonsense I'm afraid.

If this happened 100 years ago we'd be reading about this Wuhan thing that would never reach our shores.

• Advertisement

Man, I don't often agree with observations Ray makes but that certainly seems true about the driving lately.

I saw a young woman come around a roundabout in a supermarket at ridiculous speeds, speeding up the hill, like what the hell are you doing? Take it easy you dumb cow. Where's the logic - we're in a mess so we have to drive badly and potentially kill someone? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭shearforce

Man, I don't often agree with observations Ray makes but that certainly seems true about the driving lately.

I saw a young woman come around a roundabout in a supermarket at ridiculous speeds, speeding up the hill, like what the hell are you doing? Take it easy you dumb cow. Where's the logic - we're in a mess so we have to drive badly and potentially kill someone? :confused:

it's all about getting to the next red light as quick as possible so they can look at their phone for a minute before almost missing the green light and only 2 cars end up getting through, with the 3 behind them blasting through the red to make up for lost time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Now hang on. This has got nothing to do with respect for our elders - my Mum passed away last year at 92, so I know all about respect. This disgraceful show by Joe is outrageous. Spare your upset and indignation for him.

By the way, I’m 66

If you're 66, then you're light years away from 95 Robert. As am I, being a tad behind you. Most of that age who clearly contemplate death lay out clear preferences for what they wish to transpire.

I am heartened by your views.

My condolences on your mother. I lost my Granny at 102.

The second paragraph was not aimed at you but rather a composite post to encapsulate a lot of the snide crap that was being written.

I didn't realise that Mods could hand out an infraction over breach of the peace. It's a new one on me and I'm on Boards since 2005.
    Nevertheless, I'll be discussing this infraction quite seriously with Boards and with 2 outside agencies.

shearforce wrote: »
    it's all about getting to the next red light as quick as possible so they can look at their phone for a minute before almost missing the green light and only 2 cars end up getting through, with the 3 behind them blasting through the red to make up for lost time.

Or a lot of the time it's to join the end of a traffic jam that speeding isn't even going to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

It's better than usual.

Butthers, could I run this one past you.

The Dufficer was thanking the ‘team’ a day or two ago and McAnally was mentioned in the thanks.

I understood he was on a Christy Hennessy tour right now which would likely have been cancelled.

Would he have rambled back to RTE to work or have I got it all wrong.

Can these guys just do what ever they please do you think.

Just thought maybe you might know.........O wise one.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Butthers, could I run this one past you.

The Dufficer was thanking the ‘team’ a day or two ago and McAnally was mentioned in the thanks.

I understood he was on a Christy Hennessy tour right now which would likely have been cancelled.

Would he have rambled back to RTE to work or have I got it all wrong.

Can these guys just do what ever they please do you think.

Just thought maybe you might know.........O wise one.:D

He seems to go a 3-6month leave every year for the last 3-5 years (I can't recall how long exactly this "show" of his is running for) on his vanity solo project nixer. Doesn't seem in any way to affect his position in RTE clearly as the job seems to be open for him to come and go as he pleases, he's probably getting full pension contriutions in the time he's off too I suspect.

He's unikley to be the only one of course, just the one we know about. It's leave for personal reasons but essentially treated as holidays. I doubt any of us could take time off annually frm our jobs like this and have the luxury of our job being there for us when we got back.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Ian is probably emailing the hospital now to reserve a bed for himself to take a nap if he gets tired during the birth.

Unless there's a 65inch widescreen TV and a fridge for his cans in the room he won't be going in there.

He seems to go a 3-6month leave every year for the last 3-5 years (I can't recall how long exactly this "show" of his is running for) on his vanity solo project nixer. Doesn't seem in any way to affect his position in RTE clearly as the job seems to be open for him to come and go as he pleases, he's probably getting full pension contriutions in the time he's off too I suspect.

He's unikley to be the only one of course, just the one we know about. It's leave for personal reasons but essentially treated as holidays. I doubt any of us could take time off annually frm our jobs like this and have the luxury of our job being there for us when we got back.

Much appreciated Butthers, thank you for that input.

Have to wonder though as to what exactly is the set up out there.

For me anyway it seems very loose and as you suggest, most of us couldn’t swan off on a ‘project’ for a substantial time and if it falls asunder, just rock back to the mother ship and carry on as normal.

Hmmmmm......very strange.... very strange.

Thanks Butthers.

Shorter Working-Year Scheme:

https://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/hse/2009/18.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Heard it mentioned in passing during the week either on LL or Tuberidy that retired staff wander in and meet up for a natter and a chatter in their former 'workplace'

Would it be bad minded of me to wonder if they avail of the chape grub in the canteen when they meet up for the gossipfest.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Heard it mentioned in passing during the week either on LL or Tuberidy that retired staff wander in and meet up for a natter and a chatter in their former 'workplace'

Would it be bad minded of me to wonder if they avail of the chape grub in the canteen when they meet up for the gossipfest.

Same as retired public servants to using de chaos food in de canteens around town. :) it’s one of de perks so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Unfortunately, I tuned out (literally) while the poor oul' expectant dads were on whingin about, I mean highlighting the cru-well and unusual punishm... eh precautions being applied at Mullingar baby hospital. Talk about effin entitled. And to then pat themselves on the back for demanding the attention of the highest in the land. Highest in the land, is my way of describing our public representatives and frontliners (and indeed all those invisible people) who are working their arses off to save as many lives as possible. And what thanks do they get : this tripe (not my post, before the wags get in).

I referred earlier, in another thread, to my visit to Tesco today. Everyone being nice and polite in this time of stress, then one narky bitch has to have a go at the easy target, the girl trying to manage the checkout queues (on her own). Still, its worth remembering that MOST people are decent skins. that's how the bad eggs are so noticeable.

Unfortunately, I tuned out (literally) while the poor oul' expectant dads were on whingin about, I mean highlighting the cru-well and unusual punishm... eh precautions being applied at Mullingar baby hospital. Talk about effin entitled. And to then pat themselves on the back for demanding the attention of the highest in the land. Highest in the land, is my way of describing our public representatives and frontliners (and indeed all those invisible people) who are working their arses off to save as many lives as possible. And what thanks do they get : this tripe (not my post, before the wags get in).

I referred earlier, in another thread, to my visit to Tesco today. Everyone being nice and polite in this time of stress, then one narky bitch has to have a go at the easy target, the girl trying to manage the checkout queues (on her own). Still, its worth remembering that MOST people are decent skins. that's how the bad eggs are so noticeable.

I had tons of experience of these types when working in the libraries. One particular b1nt was infamous, and she revelled in it. One time she said “If you don’t let my (10 year old) daughter straight away into the staff toilet she will piddle on the floor right now, and turned to her “you do it right now love”. Another day she said to her daughter “don’t you let me hear you calling the library lady a cow even though she is one, it’s not polite”. And famously she declared, whilst holding up a queue of people, “you should be trained to deal with the likes of me and sure I can bet you there’s at least one of me who comes to every library. The daughter is now fairly well known in the arts area. When I see her being written about and hear her bring interviewed at RTE I always think of her troll of a mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Two week 'lockdown' from tonight.
    Lahvlahn gonna go nuts next week, especially if Joe hosts it from Duffy Towers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

zell12 wrote: »

I was wondering how this will effect liveline and RTE shows.
    A crew couldn't go to Clontarf surly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭cozar

Is Lahv Lahn an essential service?

Text Y for yes and N for yes.

Well you can be damn sure Mr. Duffy will feel that he is essential to the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I wouldn't like to be the guard questioning Joe as to whether he's an essential service.

Larry Gogan could return from the afterlife and spin a few disks to fill de void of broadcasting at RTÉ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

he could do the 60 sec quiz with a few dead celebs while he's at it

fryup wrote: »
    he could do the 60 sec quiz with a few dead celebs while he's at it

Wat was your favourite death in 2-19 so to speak?
    Wat is de bestest disease? Leukemia or cancer?
    To de nearest 10,000 how many peeple in Ireland will die from CV19?
    Wat is your favourite graveyard? And WHOY?
    Wat is de best size coffin for Childers? 3ft? 4ft? Or 18inches?
    Wat is de best colour coffin? Black or black?
    How much should you tip a pall bearer so to speak?
    What is Massey’s phone number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Mena Mitty wrote: »

As a generator tech in a previous life I used to enjoy being called up to the local TV studios. The setup was lush - cheap canteen grub, endless teas and coffees while on the job, come and go as I pleased. Only thing missing was the pay - I wasn't on anywhere near the same rates as their own techs.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

joe was reviewed in irish times cannot link it

lol on this "were you wheeling a mummified child's corpse in a wheelchair"

surreal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Essential workers will be required to show identification and outline a brief work description when stopped at roadsides by gardaí during the current lockdown period.
    What will Joe say when stopped?

• Advertisement

Wash yer hands ?

“Don’t yous know who I am so to speak?”

OR

“Don’t you be givin’ me any of yer auld guff. How dare you ask me for ID. I have de same education as Michael O’Leary”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Who does youse think yizer stoppin.

I'm one of the Ballyfermot four.!!

joe was reviewed in irish times cannot link it

lol on this "were you wheeling a mummified child's corpse in a wheelchair"

surreal..

So to speak....

Liveline’s Joe Duffy has been urging his audience to wash their hands, using practically any opportunity to drive the message home.
    Liveline’s Joe Duffy has been urging his audience to wash their hands, using practically any opportunity to drive the message home.
    Having presided over many fractious on-air arguments in his time, Joe Duffy is well used to asking people to keep their language clean. In the light of the pandemic, however, Duffy’s focus has changed when it comes to bodily hygiene. For the past week, the host of Liveline (RTÉ Radio 1, weekdays) has been urging his audience to wash their hands, using practically any opportunity – breaking for ads, switching between conversation, pausing for breath – to drive the message home.

It’s a typically public-spirited act by Duffy, though his advice is in danger of getting lost as he collides it with his show’s text number, to spectacular agglutinative effect. “Fiveonedoublefiveonewashyourhands,” he repeats with rapid-fire regularity, as though voicing the infomercial freephone number. Still, Duffy’s metronomic plea for cleanliness is welcome, particularly as he hears of less altruistic souls who have dirtied their bibs.

On Tuesday, Duffy talks to Sophie, who shares an upsetting tale on how social distancing can become less benign. A single mother, Sophie had to bring her two-year-old with her on a shopping trip. But as she queued for sanitiser at the supermarket entrance, a man in front her shouted at her to move back from him. Sophie concedes she was possibly a bit close, but even after she stepped away, the man “very aggressively” harangued her for taking her child out. She was, she says, “embarrassed and humiliated”.

Sophie still sounds shaken that a minor breach of etiquette should trigger such a threatening behaviour. “Things are going to break down quickly if that keeps happening,” she says. Duffy does his best to reassure her, though he doesn’t sound entirely convinced himself. “We’re not all going to turn into rats,” he says. “Hopefully.”

Duffy’s confidence isn’t bolstered by his next caller, Danielle, who recounts a similar encounter when out walking with her son. She was strolling in a nearby forest, holding her asthmatic 10-year-old’s hand, when another woman started barking insults from afar. Danielle elides the exact language used – “the germ-ridden little you-know-what shouldn’t be outside the door” – but it’s still shocking. Some people clearly need to wash out their mouths as well as their hands.

By now, even Duffy seems disconcerted, judging by his heavy-handed attempt at humour as he tries to put Danielle’s innocent walk in context. “You weren’t pushing a hospital trolley with a mummified child strapped to drips,” he says, before somewhat superfluously adding, “it’s an awful image”.

The host’s perturbed reaction is understandable, not least because his callers may be canaries in the coronavirus coalmine. Certainly, their experiences underline the need for civility and tolerance. “People need to remember that we’re all in this together,” says Danielle, “or else this is going to break down completely.”

But amidst the anxiety and uncertainty, some sections of society remain depressingly consistent. Throughout the week, Duffy hears from callers who have been refused moratoriums on bank repayments, despite the announcement of such measures. It’s a familiar refrain of institutional inflexibility and indifference in the face of personal difficulty, which naturally prompts anger. The reaction of one man, Hugh, is typical. “Banks are still looking for their pound of flesh,” he says, furious that this attitude prevails “after we bailed them out.”

That some of the highlighted cases are subsequently resolved is small consolation, seeing as action is only taken after grievances have been aired on national radio. Duffy, for his part, has the fatalistic air of a battered class warrior, as he plays down the prospect of widespread debt forgiveness. “Capitalism doesn’t work like that,” he says dolefully. We’re all in this together, indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

hc3a4nde1.jpg?w=665&h=665

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

It’s a typically public-spirited act by Duffy,
    Duffy, for his part, has the fatalistic air of a battered class warrior,

Who is this man? I'd like to hear a programme presented by such a paragon of virtue. It would be wonderful.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Red Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

baby cretin hop is going well
    her favourite ditty so to speak is tanks to Joe

we are all going to turn into rats
    we are all going to turn into rats
    were all gonna turn
    all gonna turn
    were all gonna turn into ratz..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

People like that need a good kicking and then some more!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement