Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB transfer to Canada

• 25-02-2020 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering does anyone know how long it takes aib to process a non SEPA international transfer?. I can't seem to find it anywhere on their website and their FAQ's isn't expanding on the site.

Basically I sent money from my aib account on Saturday around 4pm ET, to a transferwise account and payed the urgent fee, I then noticed that it said that the payment was a non SEPA payment even though Belgium (where I had sent the money) is included in the SEPA countries list.

Could anyone shed some light on this please it would be much appreciated. Just moved here a month ago and haven't been able to get a hold of customer care with work and the time difference between here and home.

Cheers.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26 shadydestroyer

Confused beyond belief.

Did you send the money to a Belgium or Canada account using transferwise with your AIB account?
    Can you not see when you login into transferwise where the process is at?

I use transferwise every month sending money back to my Irish account from the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭HoopsLad1888

Confused beyond belief.

Did you send the money to a Belgium or Canada account using transferwise with your AIB account?
    Can you not see when you login into transferwise where the process is at?

I use transferwise every month sending money back to my Irish account from the States.

Apologies, I was trying to send money from my Irish AIB account to my Canadian CIBC account using transferwise and had to send it to their Belgian account so it could be forwarded on to my Canadian account.

Currently my transferwise says it should receive it by Wednesday but this morning it said Tuesday.

My Aib currently still says pending.

It's the first time I used transferwise I hope I haven't made a balls of it 🙈.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭daheff

So how did you instruct the payment to Belgium? As a sepa credit transfer or a wire?

No money will arrive in Canada until it’s received by the Belgians first.

Probably 2 days after it arrived in Belgium it’ll get to Canada.

daheff wrote: »
    So how did you instruct the payment to Belgium? As a sepa credit transfer or a wire?

No money will arrive in Canada until it’s received by the Belgians first.

Probably 2 days after it arrived in Belgium it’ll get to Canada.

I done it as an international bank transfer, but I thought it would be ok because Belgium is a sepa country.

Transferwise says as soon as it's arrived in their Belgian account it will be released from their Canadian account to mine.

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

If you sent the transfer on Sat it wouldn't have been processed until yesterday, and should arrive in your Transferwise account today. Then you can initiate the second transfer, from your Transferwise account, to your Canadian account (that bit isn't clear from your OP). Did you send the funds in CAD$ by any chance (wondering why it was classed as a non-SPEA by AIB - you should call them to check/confirm the details)

• Advertisement

Spocker wrote: »
    If you sent the transfer on Sat it wouldn't have been processed until yesterday, and should arrive in your Transferwise account today. Then you can initiate the second transfer, from your Transferwise account, to your Canadian account (that bit isn't clear from your OP). Did you send the funds in CAD$ by any chance (wondering why it was classed as a non-SPEA by AIB - you should call them to check/confirm the details)

Apologies I should have made it more clear, I just thought that it would have at least been processed by aib at this stage as I had it marked as urgent and payed the extra for it.

I sent the funds in euro thats why I was wondering about it saying that it was a non SEPA payment.

Apologies I should have made it more clear, I just thought that it would have at least been processed by aib at this stage as I had it marked as urgent and payed the extra for it.

I sent the funds in euro thats why I was wondering about it saying that it was a non SEPA payment.

Has it been processed by AIB yet? Did you get in touch with them?

Spocker wrote: »
    Has it been processed by AIB yet? Did you get in touch with them?

No it still says that it is processing.

I contacted them on the online chat but they couldn't help as there is no access to account details. I tried ringing them but my Canadian number won't ring thru for some reason or another.

EDIT: it's now saying Thursday >:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭daheff

I’d be looking for your payment fee back. And an explanation as to why it’s taking so long to process.

Any chance you put in the wrong value date?

Are you not based in Ireland at the moment? Its possible the transaction has been flagged I guess, you won't know until you actually speak to them

[Edit] Did you send a 'Paylink' or 'Paylink Euro' transfer? They are different things: https://aib.ie/our-products/current-accounts/international-payments

• Advertisement

UPDATE: Hey guys thanks for your help, turns out that they tried to contact me on my Irish number but I obviously had no access to that so they cancelled the payment.

Fair play to them though the lad I spoke to gave me his direct line and said do it again and ring me back and I'll process it straight away. So I done that and the money was in my Canadian account by the end of the day.

Suppose the morel of the story is keep your numbers updated on your online banking.

Cheers again for the help guys.

Advertisement