Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF dismiss rotating taoiseach idea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Leo undermining democracy with his petulant demands to wear the Taoiseach cape despite being the leader of the third largest party in Leinster House.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Yurt! wrote: »
    Leo undermining democracy with his petulant demands to wear the Taoiseach cape despite being the leader of the third largest party in Leinster House.

Isn't the petulant demands, Mary Lou's dept? With only 25% of the vote, demanding to be made taoiseach.

And now her rallies look like they're turning out to be flops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

FG meltdowns are best meltdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

FG meltdowns are best meltdowns.

The North Korean reference is apt given how SF elect the single choice candidates as their dear leader.

What's Paddy Power giving odds on Mary Lou getting a 34 year term like the last guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its the stupidest of notions, the 'rotating Taoiseach'

You're either the head of government of a Country, or you're not. It gives a weak signal of accountability and responsibility both to the people and to the wider world.

Martin will be Taoiseach for however long this Dáil lasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Isn't the petulant demands, Mary Lou's dept? With only 25% of the vote, demanding to be made taoiseach.

there are plenty of criticisms shinners can level at Leo but "petulant demands" is beyond hypocritical under these circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

there are plenty of criticisms shinners can level at Leo but "petulant demands" is beyond hypocritical under these circumstances.

Nope. Absolutely petulant of SF to demand they get into govt. Nobody has that right unless they get majority of seats or can get other parties to agree to a coalition. SF haven't done either of these things.

Having (or attempting) marches like they are makes me think of how the Nazis behaved back in the 30s....basically did the same & demanded to be in govt.

And we all know how that worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,560 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its the stupidest of notions, the 'rotating Taoiseach'

Martin will be Taoiseach for however long this Dáil lasts.

As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball. But tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Who told you that?

Tune into Newstalk now. Over a thousand in attendance, standing room only?

How do you set the bar for something to be a flop?

"The room at the Rochestown Park Hotel, set out for 500 people, was full with standing room only as hundreds of people from Cork and beyond."

I think we can nip this one in the bud:
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Full-house-for-SFs-post-election-meeting-in-Cork-Mary-Lou-says-I-dont-care-what-Micheal-Martin-thinks-of-Sinn-Fein-c50d8b2d-f2c1-4f51-acd7-3e5215633f3d-ds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

"The room at the Rochestown Park Hotel, set out for 500 people, was full with standing room only as hundreds of people from Cork and beyond."

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Full-house-for-SFs-post-election-meeting-in-Cork-Mary-Lou-says-I-dont-care-what-Micheal-Martin-thinks-of-Sinn-Fein-c50d8b2d-f2c1-4f51-acd7-3e5215633f3d-ds

https://twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/1232031882138849282?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Augme

Never been a big fan of sinn Fein and didn't vote for them last time out but the reaction of fg(Leo) and ff has been an embarrassment. Leo seems to have learnt zero lessons from his disastrous pre election campaign.

The best (and probably only!) way for FF/FG to beat SF now is the time of get up off their ar*es and do something. Something for the public.

Build public housing right now or tackle the insurance beast, or put proper money into childcare. Look at the optics and look at what people are actually concerned about. A lot of people will not change their vote just because FF/FG say, "but... THE RA!" enough.

Like a few have mentioned, it's absolutely dreadful politics to be constantly haranguing SF, and it is in turn making them more mainstream, feasible and acknowledged as a party on the cusp of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

And we will see the same 700 people at the next rally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Interesting seeing so many on here across several topics so completely rattled and freaked out by the SF vote.

It’s very telling

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Runaways wrote: »
    Interesting seeing so many on here across several topics so completely rattled and freaked out by the SF vote.

It’s very telling

Yes, people are afraid that terrorist apologists still under the control of an army council in another country have risen in popularity.

Yes, people are afraid that terrorist apologists still under the control of an army council in another country have risen in popularity.

I’d love to see any evidence of that?

I’m far more concerned about Denis o Brien calling FGs every shot for his own benefit than some imaginary ‘army council’ tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I’m sure they’ll work it out between them and put forward a government that represents the majority of the country.

If it goes to another election so be it. I voted independent last time around, I won’t the next time.

ABSF!

I’d love to see any evidence of that?

I’m far more concerned about Denis o Brien calling FGs every shot for his own benefit than some imaginary ‘army council’ tbh

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ira-has-gone-away-mcdonald-responds-to-garda-commissioner-s-comments-1.4180689?mode=amp

The gardai have evidence of it, so do the PSNI, I see no reason for any of them to insist that a fact that was verifiable in the past would be incorrect now

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ira-has-gone-away-mcdonald-responds-to-garda-commissioner-s-comments-1.4180689?mode=amp

The gardai have evidence of it, so do the PSNI, I see no reason for any of them to insist that a fact that was verifiable in the past would be incorrect now

Convenient at best. I thought the Gardai weren’t allowed to be politicized?
    That’s really telling ff Fg have dragged them into it.

Again though, when will we look at denis o Brien dictating to FG for his own benefit?
    That’s a matter of record. Whereas the other really isn’t.
    If there’s an ira army council why not round em all up and arrest them?

• Advertisement

Again though, when will we look at denis o Brien dictating to FG for his own benefit?

Whataboutery and conspiracy theories about FG are bot a defence for SF’s actions.

Was that english?

Which SF actions? Specifically

Have you heard of siteserve? Not a conspiracy theory you’ll find if you look it up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The best (and probably only!) way for FF/FG to beat SF now is the time of get up off their ar*es and do something. Something for the public.

Build public housing right now or tackle the insurance beast, or put proper money into childcare. Look at the optics and look at what people are actually concerned about. A lot of people will not change their vote just because FF/FG say, "but... THE RA!" enough.

Like a few have mentioned, it's absolutely dreadful politics to be constantly haranguing SF, and it is in turn making them more mainstream, feasible and acknowledged as a party on the cusp of power.

This is the best outcome of the election. The rise of SF will now put huge pressure and focus on FF and FG to address the issues affecting the country such as Health, Housing and Insurance. Failure of the new government in what ever guise it is in to make some in roads into these issues will see them decimated at the next election.

I feel that this is the reason why FG are trying to step away as well, they know there will be huge focus on these issues and they can see what will happen to any party that wont address them. Michael Martin and FF are so focused on being in government that they are not see this. They also do not have the talent in their party to address the issues.

In reality what we do need is an all party consensus on what needs to be done to tackle each of the major issues and then deliver on it. I know there is Slainte care for health but has it even started. This is the problem they talk the talk but they never walk the walk. Now is the time to start walking and delivering or face decimation. People are sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Harris just told it as it is. He was asked a question, he gave a straight answer.

He also said that he would serve the public, no matter who was in government.

Sometimes the truth hurts, but those like you who hint that Harris should have withheld the truth are the most dangerous to our democracy.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Harris just told it as it is. He was asked a question, he gave a straight answer.

He also said that he would serve the public, no matter who was in government.

Sometimes the truth hurts, but those like you who hint that Harris should have withheld the truth are the most dangerous to our democracy.

Those like me?
    Dangerous to democracy?
    I didn’t hint anything...

Wow you’re a special one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

And if there isn't one, why don't SF come out and say it directly, or even say it has nothing to do with it directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Hasn't she got more votes than either of the other 2.

This take that someone that didn't voted for you is 100% against you is rubbish, media trying to portray it as 75% don't want Mary Lou, that's not the case.

If it was, there's an even higher % that don't want Michael or Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

GS11 wrote: »
    Hasn't she got more votes than either of the other 2.

This take that someone that didn't voted for you is 100% against you is rubbish, media trying to portray it as 75% don't want Mary Lou, that's not the case.

If it was, there's an even higher % that don't want Michael or Leo.

But we weren't voting on Leo/Martin/Mary.

We were voting on candidates in our area.

Think you are getting mixed up with USA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Noonan s retired now, will FG releases the minutes of every meeting he had with Dinny in 2011-12 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Varadkar probably knew the rotating taoiseach thing was never going to fly. Part of a well choreographed game of hardball that FF and FG are playing with each other ahead of the inevitable deal.

Advertisement