Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF dismiss rotating taoiseach idea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

If it happens it will be another do nothing government, FG are against public healthcare,housing an nd any changes to the insurance industry, FF are that mad for power that they'll agree to the status quo just to draw the wages and expenses and rant about being back in government. 5 year s of stagnation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Isn't the petulant demands, Mary Lou's dept? With only 25% of the vote, demanding to be made taoiseach.

And now her rallies look like they're turning out to be flops.

Is Mary Lou in on this FF/FG Axis of me feinery?
    Three posts in on a FF/FG thread :rolleyes:
    blanch152 wrote: »
    And we will see the same 700 people at the next rally.

The FG contingent are becoming more and more Trump like.

Yes, people are afraid that terrorist apologists still under the control of an army council in another country have risen in popularity.

I don't think so. I'd much prefer if FF/FG matured and looked at their own record and what they might do to improve rather than be pathetic brats, but it is entertaining. I'd love a Kenny come back. His stories were the best. More stupid than bitter.

It's a battle of egos. MM wants the title, LV doesn't want to be second fiddle...'stability' though right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Bowie wrote: »
    I don't think so. I'd much prefer if FF/FG matured and looked at their own record and what they might do to improve rather than be pathetic brats, but it is entertaining. I'd love a Kenny come back. His stories were the best. More stupid than bitter.

It's a battle of egos. MM wants the title, LV doesn't want to be second fiddle...'stability' though right? ;)

Does the 9th January 2017 to 11th January 2020 ring a bell?

SF abandoned the people of NI for three years, when it mattered most.

That’s the sort of ‘stability’ that SF can offer.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Does the 9th January 2017 to 11th January 2020 ring a bell?

SF abandoned the people of NI for three years, when it mattered most.

That’s the sort of ‘stability’ that SF can offer.

You keep mentioning this. I suggest you got look at all the retorts for each time you have. I'll not be going in circles with a person who ignorantly uses the photos of dead children to try score points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yurt! wrote: »
    Leo undermining democracy with his petulant demands to wear the Taoiseach cape despite being the leader of the third largest party in Leinster House.
    Always worth noting that when a poster invokes affronts to democracy, they don't care about it at all! What law or part of the constitution is he offending? If a deal is done, Taoiseach Number I resigns and Taoiseach Number II gets the votes that's the new Taoiseach. In 1994 there was even brief talk of Spring doing a deal with Bertie, who'd replaced Reynolds.

If it happens it will be another do nothing government, FG are against public healthcare,housing an nd any changes to the insurance industry, FF are that mad for power that they'll agree to the status quo just to draw the wages and expenses and rant about being back in government. 5 year s of stagnation
    No they are not, all political groups are in favour of Slaintecare and the rest of the post gets steadily worse.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its the stupidest of notions, the 'rotating Taoiseach'

You're either the head of government of a Country, or you're not. It gives a weak signal of accountability and responsibility both to the people and to the wider world.

Martin will be Taoiseach for however long this Dáil lasts.
    See 1992-1997 for precedent!

Long_Wave wrote: »
    What I think will happen is that leo will get a beefed up " department of the "Tánaiste" job without a portfolio so he'll basically be a second Taoiseach in all but name. I also think the greens would be absolutely mad to join a FF/FG partnership as they'd be lucky to get 5% of their policies implemented and they'd get distroyed at the next election. https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/fianna-fails-dismissal-of-rotating-taoiseach-plan-arrogant-fine-gael-claims-983576.html
    They concur with FG & FF on a good bit of it so I don't see how they'd only get 5% done. Oh and you really wouldn't expect FF to give up anything at the start of "exploratory" talks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Runaways wrote: »
    Interesting seeing so many on here across several topics so completely rattled and freaked out by the SF vote.

It’s very telling

Imagine not wanting the economy to go into a worse recession than the 2000s, one that will be a lot harder to return from.

• Advertisement

GS11 wrote: »
    Hasn't she got more votes than either of the other 2.

This take that someone that didn't voted for you is 100% against you is rubbish, media trying to portray it as 75% don't want Mary Lou, that's not the case.

If it was, there's an even higher % that don't want Michael or Leo.

I think you are mixing up UK FPTP voting system, with Ireland PR voting system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

The next five years is most likely going to see a recession. Whoever gets into power will be under serious pressure to deliver change while keeping the economy strong.
    If its FG/FF in power, SF may be able to take advantage by consolidating their status as a single party opposition who could get a majority come next election.

Noonan s retired now, will FG releases the minutes of every meeting he had with Dinny in 2011-12 ?
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Bowie wrote: »
    You keep mentioning this. I suggest you got look at all the retorts for each time you have. I'll not be going in circles with a person who ignorantly uses the photos of dead children to try score points.

Show me where else I mentioned SF abandoning their electorate.

bullpost wrote: »
    The next five years is most likely going to see a recession. Whoever gets into power will be under serious pressure to deliver change while keeping the economy strong.
    If its FG/FF in power, SF may be able to take advantage by consolidating their status as a single party opposition who could get a majority come next election.

And turn the recession into a depression.

That mean they would need to get 60 seats+ at least but then they'll have cleared out all their possible buddies and still not get a majority. It's also nigh on impossible with 60% of FF/FG voters not inclined to vote for them and they don't have a lot of support in the oldest demographic, who vote every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Yurt! wrote: »
    Leo undermining democracy with his petulant demands to wear the Taoiseach cape despite being the leader of the third largest party in Leinster House.

How many seats had SF when in the last Dáil they proposed their Uchtaráin for Taoiseach or indeed leader of the Greens, both also petulant?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ira-has-gone-away-mcdonald-responds-to-garda-commissioner-s-comments-1.4180689?mode=amp

The gardai have evidence of it, so do the PSNI, I see no reason for any of them to insist that a fact that was verifiable in the past would be incorrect now

What has that to do with "FF dismiss rotating taoiseach idea"?

Mortelaro wrote: »
    How many seats had SF when in the last Dáil they proposed their Uchtaráin for Taoiseach or indeed leader of the Greens, both also petulant?

You're in the wrong thread.
    If johnny has six apples and you take away two...SF something something....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

is_that_so wrote: »
    See 1992-1997 for precedent!

That was two different Governments, not leaders within a coalition or other support arrangement playing spin the ****ing bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

That mean they would need to get 60 seats+ at least but then they'll have cleared out all their possible buddies and still not get a majority. It's also nigh on impossible with 60% of FF/FG voters not inclined to vote for them and they don't have a lot of support in the oldest demographic, who vote every time.

Well the shift to SF may have accelerated significantly in another five years and a lot more young voters will be eligible . I dont think they'll have enough to govern alone but may well be able to do it with supports from a stronger Green party etc.

Well the shift to SF may have accelerated significantly in another five years and a lot more young voters will be eligible . I dont think they'll have enough to govern alone but may well be able to do it with supports from a stronger Green party etc.
    It might and it might not but they won't get 60 seats. I don't see a 5 year government anywhere but even a moderately successful 2-3 year one would take the wind out of their sails. Greens are about as high as they can be, still very much an urban party and they'll follow anyone will let them implement their policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It might and it might not but they won't get 60 seats. I don't see a 5 year government anywhere but even a moderately successful 2-3 year one would take the wind out of their sails.

But if there was another election this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I dunno, I kinda think Sinn Féin may have peaked. Aside from anything else, their economic incompatibility with others in the Dáil has been deeply demonstrated of late.

The very best thing they could do for themselves is lead the opposition, because I think in Government their limited talent beyond the 5 or 6 leading TDs would be badly exposed. In fact many of the unknown TDs elected this month have shown already that they are woefully unskilled to be national legislators and public representatives, unless of course they are just bums on seats blindly following instruction.

Why?

It's all about timing, the time something was said, the fallout from that statement ,who gained from what was said,

And turn the recession into a depression.

If there's another recession and FF are in government they will never get double figures again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

This. Pretty much. (Appearing around town source unknown)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I dunno, I kinda think Sinn Féin may have peaked. Aside from anything else, their economic incompatibility with others in the Dáil has been deeply demonstrated of late.

The very best thing they could do for themselves is lead the opposition, because I think in Government their limited talent beyond the 5 or 6 leading TDs would be badly exposed. In fact many of the unknown TDs elected this month have shown already that they are woefully unskilled to be national legislators and public representatives, unless of course they are just bums on seats blindly following instruction.

It's not FF are overflowing with talent either and FG hid the likes of Flanagan, Harris, and Murphy during the election.

The facts are none of the parties in the Dail have the talent with in them and I think FF have the worst of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Rotating taoiseach eh? I like it!

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    It's not FF are overflowing with talent either and FG hid the likes of Flanagan, Harris, and Murphy during the election.

The facts are none of the parties in the Dail have the talent with in them and I think FF have the worst of the lot.
    Between the two ( and the Greens ) they could deliver a reasonably decent front bench, with subs. SF fall off a cliff after 3.

Advertisement