Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF dismiss rotating taoiseach idea

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Floppybits

is_that_so wrote: »
    Between the two ( and the Greens ) they could deliver a reasonably decent front bench, with subs. SF fall off a cliff after 3.

I don't think FF would have much more than 3 either. I am trying to think who of their elected TD's would I like to see in office and to tell you the truth I can barely think of any. There are a lot I wouldn't trust to cut my grass never mind run departments with multi million euro budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Floppybits wrote: »
    It's not FF are overflowing with talent either I think FF have the worst of the lot.

If it's the Grand Coalition, will both FF and FG be expected to have two female ministers each? Bit of a poser for Tricky Mickey...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Long_Wave wrote: »
    What I think will happen is that leo will get a beefed up " department of the "Tánaiste" job without a portfolio so he'll basically be a second Taoiseach in all but name. I also think the greens would be absolutely mad to join a FF/FG partnership as they'd be lucky to get 5% of their policies implemented and they'd get distroyed at the next election. https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/fianna-fails-dismissal-of-rotating-taoiseach-plan-arrogant-fine-gael-claims-983576.html

5% of there policies for 7.1% of the vote - what do you think theyll get anywhere ?

If it's the Grand Coalition, will both FF and FG be expected to have two female ministers each? Bit of a poser for Tricky Mickey...

Oh I'm sure one of the FF TD's would gladly change for a sniff of a ministerial pension. Jacqueline Chambers has a nice ring to it. :)

Oh I'm sure one of the FF TD's would gladly change for a sniff of a ministerial pension. Jacqueline Chambers has a nice ring to it. :)

Or he may go with a genuine female Chambers if Lisa can get into the Seanad. An usual move but when you look at what he'd be picking from in the Dail...

• Advertisement

Or he may go with a genuine female Chambers if Lisa can get into the Seanad. An usual move but when you look at what he'd be picking from in the Dail...

I was surprised she lost her seat. I thought she was one of the better performers for FF during that last Dail. It was a pity she couldn't help herself pressing any buttons that were in front of her. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

It's not FF are overflowing with talent either and FG hid the likes of Flanagan, Harris, and Murphy during the election.

The facts are none of the parties in the Dail have the talent with in them and I think FF have the worst of the lot.

Harris and Murphy are just incompetent ,Flanagan is dangerous fool, can't see any coalition partner letting him near a ministry, they'll send him to the EU to wipe up after Hogan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I was surprised she lost her seat. I thought she was one of the better performers for FF during that last Dail. It was a pity she couldn't help herself pressing any buttons that were in front of her. :)

Think it was personal stuff in her constituency

Think it was personal stuff in her constituency

That was part of it, but I reckon 'buttongate' must have had more of an impact than I was anticipating. Surely can't be a coincidence that Chambers and Dooley were the highest-profile FF casualties...

The thought of Dara Calleary as Minister for Finance is scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

The best (and probably only!) way for FF/FG to beat SF now is the time of get up off their ar*es and do something. Something for the public.

Build public housing right now or tackle the insurance beast, or put proper money into childcare. Look at the optics and look at what people are actually concerned about. A lot of people will not change their vote just because FF/FG say, "but... THE RA!" enough.

Like a few have mentioned, it's absolutely dreadful politics to be constantly haranguing SF, and it is in turn making them more mainstream, feasible and acknowledged as a party on the cusp of power.

Not so sure about that. In the case of millennials, especially middle class millennials like the school teachers i know who voted SF, it is almost certainly the case that they are voting for SF because they don't know ENOUGH about them. They are just not clued into their history and their present connections with the Provos and killings.

The sensible FF/FG strategy would be for tax cuts (make people feel better off personally) and ramped up affordable housing schemes, alongside continued public education about SF and who is pulling the strings.

Advertisement