Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 pre pay Mobile SIM in router

• 25-02-2020 9:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

Howdy, just wondering if a 3 prepay Mobile SIM in a 4g router will work ok, or are the mobile Sims locked down?

3 signed my parents up to a cheaper deal about a year ago (hopefully out of contract now), but one windows update clearly exceeded the monthly limit and cost them €80+.

I'm thinking the unlimited data on the Mobile SIM deal will prevent any unexpected bills like this.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Howdy, just wondering if a 3 prepay Mobile SIM in a 4g router will work ok, or are the mobile Sims locked down?

3 signed my parents up to a cheaper deal about a year ago (hopefully out of contract now), but one windows update clearly exceeded the monthly limit and cost them €80+.

I'm thinking the unlimited data on the Mobile SIM deal will prevent any unexpected bills like this.

Any advice appreciated

Yes it will work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Yes it will work

I'd love to be sure of this. I'm on a rolling contract with Three for my broadband. Currently paying €34.56 pm and a drop of €14 would be a big help.

Only problem is......a few years ago a friend finished contract bb with them. He had a router from them rather than a mifi device. Stuck in a PAYG sim and within a week got a message that the PAYG account had been suspended as it was being used in a "non-mobile device".

I'd really love to try it for the saving but even €20 lost in a month is a big enough deal to be a bit wary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭65535

It works fine - €20 a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Cheers guys, I'll give it a go in the next month, I'll feed back whether it's all working or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

65535 wrote: »

What kind of router are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Yes - I gather using an ISP-provided one could be the problem

I have ordered the following
    TP-Link TL-MR6400
    51WT2sqaMfL._SL1000_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

That'll do nicely! :)
    It takes a micro-sim which is the middle sized one in a 3 way card.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    That'll do nicely! :)
    It takes a micro-sim which is the middle sized one in a 3 way card.

The SIM's come as push out now to make it to the size required.
    (A long way from the full sized card !)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

The SIM's come as push out now to make it to the size required.
    (A long way from the full sized card !)

That's exactly what I was talking about ;)

In a 3-way card, you can make it Sim, Micro Sim or Nano Sim.
    For this machine, use the middle size, Micro Sim :)

• Advertisement

Do you use it in a 3 router or in one of your own?

FanadMan wrote: »
    Do you use it in a 3 router or in one of your own?

As far as I know it's a non 3 branded one - it's still in use but I have long term loaned it to a friend of mine - I'll check it out later on - he has it on his window sill and uses it away.

So it is actually a 3 router, B315s-22 is the model, manufacturer is HUAWEI

Cheers guys,
    It arrived today, so hopefully will get it setup next time I'm down home. Need to pickup a Sim card!

So it is actually a 3 router, B315s-22 is the model, manufacturer is HUAWEI

Thanks for that. I have the B525s-23a. Think it's a couple of years old by this stage. Will have to get hold of a PAYG sim soon to test it.

I got it originally on Adverts or Donedeal - had it as a backup to a bad Eircom copper connection.

I got it originally on Adverts or Donedeal - had it as a backup to a bad Eircom copper connection.

I've been on 3 cos there wasn't even bad copper BB available here. Fibre is now available but couldn't justify the price.......hence wanting the payg lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Pop in to a 3 store and get a sim only paug
    You might need to change to 3 apn on the router settings I had to manually put it in.
    I use it for the xbox aswell ping can be high at times
    To get around the double nat/ strict issues I turn on the xbox and see what ipaddress 192.168.1.6 for example I manually change the ports to the number the xbox has being.there is other ways I cant get the static IP address to work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Lu Tze wrote: »

Any advice appreciated

Yes the 3 pay-as-you go €20 sim will work fine.

I have my Huawei B593s-12 hooked up to an external 4G omni and get great speeds upto 53Mbps. I do live near a 3mast and can see it from my house roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rossj

Hi Everyone

Im just about to get either 3 broadband modem deal or Vodafone & wanted to checked in here before I decide... The house where I am renting had vodafone modem wifi broadband before and left their modem behind

3 have said their plug-inmodem is 29.50e a month - 30 day rolling contract (that can be stopped at a months notice if I have my own moden - can this be any modem?? even an old vodafone one??) I reckon the coverage on 3 will be fairly good because I am using PAYG mobile data on my phone & doing a speed test all over the house it seems to be pretty good so I can only imagine the broadband modem wifi will be as good if not better... If i do not have a modem I must enter into a 24month contract with 3.. this is what I took from my research
    As far as 3Three have explained to me this is UNLIMITED

Vodafone meanwhile is limited at 300G a month yet it is 40euro on a minimal years contract.... I struggle to understand how ppl go with Vodafone on this broadband modem deal but there must be a reason
    is 3's really unlimited AND will it be ok if I use a modem that was used for Vodafone within the last 16-22months??

Which should I go with?

Appreciate all advice

• Advertisement

rossj wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Im just about to get either 3 broadband modem deal or Vodafone & wanted to checked in here before I decide... The house where I am renting had vodafone modem wifi broadband before and left their modem behind

3 have said their plug-inmodem is 29.50e a month - 30 day rolling contract (that can be stopped at a months notice if I have my own moden - can this be any modem?? even an old vodafone one??) I reckon the coverage on 3 will be fairly good because I am using PAYG mobile data on my phone & doing a speed test all over the house it seems to be pretty good so I can only imagine the broadband modem wifi will be as good if not better... If i do not have a modem I must enter into a 24month contract with 3.. this is what I took from my research

Vodafone meanwhile is limited at 300G a month yet it is 40euro on a minimal years contract.... I struggle to understand how ppl go with Vodafone on this broadband modem deal but there must be a reason
    is 3's really unlimited AND will it be ok if I use a modem that was used for Vodafone within the last 16-22months??

Which should I go with?

Appreciate all advice

Since lockdown 3 changed their contract bb from 700gb a month to unlimited, same as their payg phone sim. I'm still on rolling contract with them. Whenever I look at my details on their site I constantly have 700 of 700 GB left. And I download a lot! And use iptv through my firestick.

You could try a 3 payg sim in the router you have, but good chance it's locked to Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Hi Everyone

Which should I go with?

Appreciate all advice

I wouldn't bother any plan from 3 other than the 20 euro payg top up...its what you want trust me. Don't bother with them for the router.

What is the huawei model you have? It can be any modem other than network locked ones. I.e. vodafone locked modem won't work with three or eir. If it's Vodafone branded it is most likely locked. People who have better Vodafone coverage or where the Vodafone network is less congested might have luck with them.

If your modem is locked, check €bay, amazon, adverts, etc for a new/used Huawei b593, Huawei B525, Huawei b311, Huawei B315 or Huawei E5186 and pop in three top up sim card and off you go.

Jim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

If it's Vodafone branded it is most likely locked. People who have better Vodafone coverage or where the Vodafone network is less congested might have luck with them.

Vodafone X PAYG SIM is the other option if the router is locked but it might not allow a PAYG SIM to be used...only way to find out is get a VF PAYG SIM and try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

FanadMan wrote: »
    Since lockdown 3 changed their contract bb from 700gb a month to unlimited

The Three website still clearly states that the cap is 750 GB for 4G broadband and 1 TB for 5G broadband and you are charged per MB if you exceed the cap.

JTMan wrote: »
    The Three website still clearly states that the cap is 750 GB for 4G broadband and 1 TB for 5G broadband and you are charged per MB if you exceed the cap.

I always find Three's pages to be a spagetti maze at the best of times.

https://www.three.ie/here-to-help.html
    We’re supporting our customers with access to unlimited broadband and have removed the 750GB data limit from our unlimited plans until December 31st.

Now whether the 750GB is a data limit or FUP is another story. The irony of removing a limit from an unlimited plan :)

Jim

Thanks Jim, Ten Pin & all other posters...

Ive had a look at adverts & done deal and havnt found too many routers/ modems.. Are you all defo sure that any of the used Huawei b593, Huawei B525, Huawei b311, Huawei B315 or Huawei E5186 modems will be compatible with any of the 3 20e PAYG sim or the 30e SIM Only Broadband deal or even the Vodafone X PAYG SIM??

Also after visiting both 3 and vodafone shops today I have noticed the Vodafone X PAYE SIM.. Could this b a valid option because I think I saw this was just a deal for students and besides all that Has anyone actualy tried the Vodafone X PAYE SIM in a vodafone (probably locked) modem,.... I know several people have confirmed it is indeed possible on a 3 20e monthly top up SIM/ modem but I have never heard anythin about a similar action with Vodafone...

Im hopin to make a decision on this by Tomorrow so any definitive advice..still very much appreciated..

Thanks Jim, Ten Pin & all other posters...

Ive had a look at adverts & done deal and havnt found too many routers/ modems.. Are you all defo sure that any of the used Huawei b593, Huawei B525, Huawei b311, Huawei B315 or Huawei E5186 modems will be compatible with any of the 3 20e PAYG sim or the 30e SIM Only Broadband deal or even the Vodafone X PAYG SIM??

Also after visiting both 3 and vodafone shops today I have noticed the Vodafone X PAYE SIM.. Could this b a valid option because I think I saw this was just a deal for students and besides all that Has anyone actualy tried the Vodafone X PAYE SIM in a vodafone (probably locked) modem,.... I know several people have confirmed it is indeed possible on a 3 20e monthly top up SIM/ modem but I have never heard anythin about a similar action with Vodafone...

Im hopin to make a decision on this by Tomorrow so any definitive advice..still very much appreciated..

What you are looking for is a router that is unlocked from any network. That gives you the scope to use a sim from any operator so if you're not happy with Three, you can just switch in a vodafone/eir sim etc. The above routers are sold (or included in plans) by network operators as locked to their networks (generally) and by retailers unlocked. Generally the network locked routers will be branded by them.

Sims from any of the operators will work in a unlocked 4G router. It's just data caps, coverage and service that will be the differentiating factors.

The Three 20 payg is unlimited but this can lead to congestion on busy masts.
    The Vodafone X deal has a 10Mbps speed limit but effectively unlimited usage wise.
    Eir/GoMo have Fair Usage Policies of 120GB generally. (excepting mobile broadband plans)

It's a trial and error process to see what works for you.

https://editorsean.com/articles/pick-right-router-3g4g-broadband/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/2020-4G-Unlocked-Networks-Warranty-B311-221/dp/B0825M91HD/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=huawei+4g+router&qid=1605990917&sr=8-3 is an option but I have no experience with it.

Jim

I can recommend the Huawei B593 u-12 router, having used an unlocked one for this purpose for 3 years with no problems, and in a difficult area (it was a very well spent €90). It gets a good signal in our stone building, up in the gallery bit where it only has the roof to get through (I haven't tried it anywhere else e.g. in a window - I think it had to be as high as possible anyway because of the lie of the land). We're on Three the only provider I've experienced (Vodafone devices go dead when they go through our patch!).

I don't know where you are, but I'm Donegal and got mine from antennaelectronixs.com (the x is deliberate). The above router is currently sold out there if the website's correct, though there's a different router in stock that I'd guess does the same job, as it's the same price. It might be worth a quick phone call anyway even if you don't live in the area, in case there's a way round that (and any advice there will be very sound).

Thanks Again Jim & Fogmatic...

Excellent advice...

Have a good evening & il pop on here again later next week to report back...

• Advertisement

Hi,

I have found a TP Link MR200 AC 750 Modem router and have been affirmed that this will work with a 3 SIM...
    I am purchasing this tommorrow...

will this TP Link modem be high performing??
    My colleauge has just started using his TP Link Archer MR600 AC 1200 Mbps 46 + Cat 6 and claims it is very good but as my prospective TP LINK modem router is of a lower spec, it will hardly work as well?? The only advantage I have over him is that I am on the outskirts of quite a large town whereas he is very much in a rural area beside a lake...

Thanks for the last minute help

Jim

Would TP Link be a good option??

I have heard good reports about TP Link Archer MR600 AC 1200 MBPS 4G + Cat 6 but all I can find to buy at any store is the TP LINK MR 200 AC 750 so I dont know if i should sit tight and wait to find a better model of TP link or huawei or bite the bullet and go and get this one...

also is it possible to put a SIM into a Vodafone broadband modem HG659 & connect to a SIM unlimited internet... I just cant find WHERE a sim would go?

Jim

I have heard good reports about TP Link Archer MR600 AC 1200 MBPS 4G + Cat 6 but all I can find to buy at any store is the TP LINK MR 200 AC 750 so I dont know if i should sit tight and wait to find a better model of TP link or huawei or bite the bullet and go and get this one...

also is it possible to put a SIM into a Vodafone broadband modem HG659 & connect to a SIM unlimited internet... I just cant find WHERE a sim would go?

The HG659 does not have the capability to use a simcard - it's a DSL/fiber router only.
    https://consumer.huawei.com/en/community/details/4G-Dongle-for-Huawei-hg659-Modem/topicId_112203/

Maybe the above mentioned one that's in stock on the website would be suitable? (I don't have enough knowledge to be sure of that). They supply nationwide, apparently (maybe they could get one to you and answer queries over the phone, if you need any help).

https://www.antennaelectronixs.com/ALink_4GLte/p6183315_20848520.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The 600 is compatible with more frequencies and can aggregate signals from more than 1 mast so would be more future proofed than the 200. In practice, the 200 will give up to 150Mbps while the 600 gives up to 300Mbps. In real world terms it's 20Mbps vs 40Mbps depending on time of day.

While closer to town means more mast capacity...it also means more users so congestion might be an issue on a single mast modem (4G) whereas a multi mast modem (4G+) will perform better at peak times.

AFAIK some of those modems have a USB slot for a SIM dongle but the 659 doesn't appear to have that facility.

TP LINK is it then

• Advertisement
Advertisement