Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Issues when not using credit

Options
  • 25-02-2020 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

The brother is on Eir and this is the 4th time in he has had issues making calls

He is using it once a month (hardly ever uses the phone), so seems to be the bare minimum to be not cut off, or so we thought

Is there a better network than you can have credit on it and not use it or top for ages without issues?

Like if he has to call house or me or something once a month fair enough

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Three SIMs don't require top up to stay active. Costs 35c per minute or else send a text to get a call back if the recipient has unlimited calls.

Vodafone SIMs need 5 euro top up every 6 months.

Eir are the least favoured for infrequent use, it was 150 days and now they quote 90 days after which they restrict outgoing calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Three SIMs don't require top up to stay active. Costs 35c per minute or else send a text to get a call back if the recipient has unlimited calls.

Vodafone SIMs need 5 euro top up every 6 months.

Eir are the least favoured for infrequent use, it was 150 days and now they quote 90 days after which they restrict outgoing calls.

Looks like he will have to move to three so, thanks for the clear information

Might have to get a new phone as I remember looking at cheap one in argos and doesn't work with three

Think it's you can get them for ten or two euro, be worth it for less hassle and I'm sure he's lost credit in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Might have to get a new phone as I remember looking at cheap one in argos and doesn't work with three

This isn't necessarily true. Argos copy all the UK product details. Three UK don't have 2G masts but Three IRL do after buying O2. However 2G coverage may vary per location.

So the Three SIM should work in any modern 2G phone. Check coverage in the current handset, a new phone might not be needed unless it's locked to Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Ten Pin wrote: »
    This isn't necessarily true. Argos copy all the UK product details. Three UK don't have 2G masts but Three IRL do after buying O2. However 2G coverage may vary per location.

So the Three SIM should work in any modern 2G phone. Check coverage in the current handset, a new phone might not be needed unless it's locked to Eir.

I think it was some cheap Alba one and it said won't work with three

I'll try my sim in his phone as I'm on three and also do what you said to be sure to be sure

Advertisement