Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using a compass for a beginner

Options
  • 25-02-2020 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

i am a beginner with compass but i bought a silva field compass. Do they get confused indoors, north seems to be in different directions??

When trying to find a direction am i right to turn bezel uintil direction sought is at the direction of travel point and turn till red is in shed and then direction sought is at direction of travel- i did learn some lingo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Anything metal/magnetic will interfere with it.

Try it outside, holding it out in front of you on the flat palm of your hand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Youtube is your friend here, lots of great videos, even from the manufacturer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

If you can get someone to show you for a few minutes.......invaluable.

Thought I knew how to use one until..............I went on a MS1 course (Mountain Skills Course). Ironed out my mistakes fairly rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

i am a beginner with compass but i bought a silva field compass. Do they get confused indoors, north seems to be in different directions??

When trying to find a direction am i right to turn bezel uintil direction sought is at the direction of travel point and turn till red is in shed and then direction sought is at direction of travel- i did learn some lingo.

Hold it in the palm of your hand, with the back of the compass touching the top of your belly.
    It should be far enough away from any belt buckle or under wire not to be affected.

the front should always point away from you, turn yourself, never let the compass be turned by your hand or wrist.

the lingo is correct.

the other way to use a compass is with a map to figure out the direction you want to go.
    line the edge of the compass in the direction you want to go, turn the bezel until the red arrow (on the bezel) points north on the map. ignore the magnetic needle.

Bonus points accounting for magnetic deviation.

Practise makes perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Fair play. The amount of people that can't use a discovery map or compass is unbelievable with the advent of Google Maps etc.

Join an Orienteering club or something similar and use your compass and map collectively.

• Advertisement
Advertisement