Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lived in the UK for 3 jobs

• 25-02-2020 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭

At least three different pensions, although I remember one company I worked at for 5 years changed pension provider almost yearly.

What's the best way forward here? Contact my old employers to find out the plans that i was with? Try and get them all consolidated into one? Any point?

I'm 31, just moved to Dublin but spent all my working life in the UK. Will I be entitled to anything from the British when I retire?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭daheff

First point of call would be to make contact with pension providers to make sure they have your contact details. Keep it up to date with them

After that the next pension fund you set up, ask the adviser for your options. Have a think about them before you act.

Might also be an idea to try the UK Gov pension tracing service...

You'll need employer or provider details but if you're not receiving the (obligatory) annual summaries you may not know the providers:
    https://www.gov.uk/find-pension-contact-details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

The_Fitz wrote: »
    At least three different pensions, although I remember one company I worked at for 5 years changed pension provider almost yearly.

What's the best way forward here? Contact my old employers to find out the plans that i was with? Try and get them all consolidated into one? Any point?

I'm 31, just moved to Dublin but spent all my working life in the UK. Will I be entitled to anything from the British when I retire?

If you do your uk tax return online you might be able to check your state pension entitlement online. Failing that you can write, takes an age to hear back though.

I think you can use the pensions tracing service if you have the company name?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You should have got a "leaving options" letter when you moved jobs x3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

If any of them were in the Civil Service theur penions are administered by MyCSP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The_Fitz wrote: »
    Will I be entitled to anything from the British when I retire?

In 35 years time... nobody can tell you the answer that one. The UK and Ireland both operate 'pay as you' state pension funding and it is unsustainable - that is not an opinion, it's a fact, there simply will not be enough paying in to keep it a float.

It will have to be reformed in some way or other and the longer that takes the more likely it will hit you.... If I were 30 I'd be maxing out whatever second level pension you have access to .

Advertisement