Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus - Cheltenham

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

BumperD wrote: »
    I guess it could go ahead behind closed doors but that’s about it

That would be the common sense approach. The pubs would do a roaring trade and it would be a lot better than the 'silence of the lambs' in 2001 (foot and mouth caused the abandonment of Cheltenham and Istabraq strolling home because there were sheep kept in the middle of Cheltenham racecourse)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Unlikely to go ahead. Leading bookmaker is asking traders to take work desktops (not just laptops) home in case they need to shut office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Just had a pretty decent bet on it not to go ahead. Sad but what can we do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

dan786 wrote: »
    Unlikely to go ahead. Leading bookmaker is asking traders to take work desktops (not just laptops) home in case they need to shut office.

Which one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Given that not a single race meeting in the UK has been cancelled, I would say the chances of it going ahead are actually pretty good.

They would only abandon the entire festival if it was deemed to be a serious risk to public health. Besides, cancelling a sporting event of this magnitude would open up a Pandora's box of nearly every sporting event in Britain having to be cancelled : how could it be "unsafe" to attend Cheltenham and yet safe to be in a 50,000 seater stadium watching a Premiership match? Hence I think they would be very reluctant to go down this route

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

5 million people use the tube in London on a daily basis. When’s that getting cancelled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Its going to be a no win scenario as we will all have to go around with masks and gloves and maybe that wont be enough.

The Mig wrote: »
    5 million people use the tube in London on a daily basis. When’s that getting cancelled?

It's like saying the St.Patrick's Day parade will have to be cancelled. If that was the case, then the next step would be to seal off O'Connell Street and Grafton Street for the next few months as it would be too "unsafe" to be on them.

I'm not sure people are even thinking things through here. Cancelling major sporting events and festivals etc is only likely to greatly increase people's anxiety and unease, rather than do anything to reassure them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Cheltenham venue is much much bigger than Wembley stadium and there was 80k there today. There will be about 60k per day at Cheltenham. Each day will see mostly the same people rather than 300k unique people, which is how it's being made out to seem in the media.

The carabao cup final today at Wembley was never in doubt. There has not been anything serious yet from any relevant authority to suggest this won't go ahead.

... If you were to make a case for backing for the festival to go ahead.

• Advertisement

Wait for the figures to rise and they might not have much choice on this matter.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Wait for the figures to rise and they might not have much choice on this matter.

Any tips?

Try to be safe as we dont know about the person next to you or yourself as what or who or where they were recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Strazdas wrote: »

I'm not sure people are even thinking things through here. Cancelling major sporting events and festivals etc is only likely to greatly increase people's anxiety and unease, rather than do anything to reassure them.

A fairly ironic comment there. You seem to be suggesting that the reason for them not cancelling is because they don't want to increase unease. I'd say the safety of the public comes before whether it will cause unease amongst people.

I can imagine the conversation at COBRA...

"I know this has the potential to spread the virus massively, but on the other hand if we do cancel, some people might become anxious or uneasy. Maybe we should just let it go ahead. Can't have people getting concerned."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Any tips?

Wasn’t even that funny the first time Moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

dan786 wrote: »

My own company has done that. Just a precaution. They probably do the same when bad weather is expected. Sure whether a bookie is in his office or at home will have no bearing on an event going ahead.

• Advertisement

Earendil wrote: »
    Wasn’t even that funny the first time Moron.

Both those posters are banned from posting on the main corona virus thread. They are simply on the wind up and managed to do some here. We can't report them because this forum has no mods. I was just hoping someone could read between the lines.

If you think I have lame sense of humour please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shanboghted

If we can get through this week with just a few cases popping up here and there in the UK and Ireland we will be fine! If there's a mass breakout we're in trouble. The week is vital!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

There’s 6 of us heading across and we’ve friends coming down from Bradford and Worcester nothing alarming going on at the moment according to them. Locally there’s no mention of anything happening just yet where they are so fingers crossed.

A fairly ironic comment there. You seem to be suggesting that the reason for them not cancelling is because they don't want to increase unease. I'd say the safety of the public comes before whether it will cause unease amongst people.

I can imagine the conversation at COBRA...

"I know this has the potential to spread the virus massively, but on the other hand if we do cancel, some people might become anxious or uneasy. Maybe we should just let it go ahead. Can't have people getting concerned."

The only grounds on which the decision would be made would health ones made by medical professionals and experts.

I'm talking though about the armchair pundits (with zero medical knowledge) demanding mass closures.....these are the very people who would be freaked out even further by such mass closures.

Motivator wrote: »
    There’s 6 of us heading across and we’ve friends coming down from Bradford and Worcester nothing alarming going on at the moment according to them. Locally there’s no mention of anything happening just yet where they are so fingers crossed.

I think the only way Cheltenham would be cancelled would be in the context of a much worsening situation and closure of schools and colleges and public transport etc. It definitely wouldn't be cancelled if it was on this week or come anywhere even close to being cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I think the only way Cheltenham would be cancelled would be in the context of a much worsening situation and closure of schools and colleges and public transport etc. It definitely wouldn't be cancelled if it was on this week or come anywhere even close to being cancelled.

No not at all, in their areas it’s not even a topic of discussion. Life is going on as normal and like many are saying it’s if things take a drastic turn for the worse in the next few days that things will change but as of now it’s full steam ahead. The only talk of the Festival not going seems to be coming from this side of the sea.

Motivator wrote: »
    No not at all, in their areas it’s not even a topic of discussion. Life is going on as normal and like many are saying it’s if things take a drastic turn for the worse in the next few days that things will change but as of now it’s full steam ahead. The only talk of the Festival not going seems to be coming from this side of the sea.

Yes, the UK and Ireland are officially in 'containment' phase only.

What the French and Swiss are doing is more drastic but people are nearly forgetting they have a large open border with northern Italy, where all the cases are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

Yes, the UK and Ireland are officially in 'containment' phase only.

What the French and Swiss are doing is more drastic but people are nearly forgetting they have a large open border with northern Italy, where all the cases are.

We should all Hoover up the evens about tiger roll then if easyland etc won't be allowed travel :)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I will probably miss most of it if it goes ahead.
    This morning I learned I will have an operation at 07:00 on 11th March.

Best of luck.

Your a bit long in the tooth to be getting gelded mind ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Earendil wrote: »
    Best of luck.
    Your a bit long in the tooth to be getting gelded mind ya.
    I think a few of the posters here think it is the best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Good luck lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

All the best with that, hope you make a good recovery.

Out of interest, what size tits are you going for?

Looks better this morning. It had got as far as 2.4 against last night.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/horse-racing/market/1.169321914

Good luck with the operation Tetrach I hope it works out for you.

I think a few of the posters here think it is the best option.

I selected 'Euthanize' on the poll options :pac: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭famagusta

There is still nobody talking about premier league games etc being cancelled!! Should we be worrying so much?

Best of luck Tetrarch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Looks better this morning. It had got as far as 2.4 against last night.

Good luck with the operation Tetrach I hope it works out for you.

I think France carrying on with racing behind closed doors is a reason for optimism.

Anyone know of any reason why organisers would not take a closed doors option?

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    I think France carrying on with racing behind closed doors is a reason for optimism.

Anyone know of any reason why organisers would not take a closed doors option?
    €€€€€€€€€€£££££££££££$$$$$$$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

France cancelling small events yet had PSG playing at weekend with 40000 in attendance.
    Listening to morning Ireland the vibes coming from the UK is that cheltenham will not be affected, and that postponement of large events is not on the table at this COBRA meeting this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

tucker1971 wrote: »
    France cancelling small events yet had PSG playing at weekend with 40000 in attendance.
    Listening to morning Ireland the vibes coming from the UK is that cheltenham will not be affected, and that postponement of large events is not on the table at this COBRA meeting this morning.

France have only cancelled 'indoor' events, this fact seems to have been completely ignored for some reason, Switzerland the same.

Against has been drifting all morning.

I am beginning to get excited now.

I was talking to a mate who lives over there last night on the phone. I asked him about the virus and what was the panic like, he said as long as they weren't talking about Brexit anymore he didn't care. He goes Friday every year and has heard nothing to the contrary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Pogue eile wrote: »
    France have only cancelled 'indoor' events, this fact seems to have been completely ignored for some reason, Switzerland the same.

Football matches were cancelled in Switzerland this weekend but ice hockey matches took place behind closed doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

kksaints wrote: »
    Football matches were cancelled in Switzerland this weekend but ice hockey matches took place behind closed doors.

Sorry I was referring to the 5,000 and 1,000 thresholds that were annoucned in France and Switzerland respectively, these were exclusively in relation to indoor events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Pogue eile wrote: »

“Outdoor” racing will not have any spectators in France Today

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/coronavirus-positive-revealed-in-gloucestershire/425481

Business as usual according to Boris. Just wash your hands

Business as usual according to Boris. Just wash your hands

image.jpg

I've always had a soft spot for him myself, I wouldn't trust him though.

Against out to 9/4. On available at 2/5.

We love you Boris, we do
    We love you Boris, we do
    We love you Boris, we do
    OH BORIS WE LOVE YOU

I would wait until Friday ,just for developments in the situation before I'd get over-excited. I do think the France situation makes the meeting more likely to be on than off,right now. I doubt if Cheltenham will be cancelled if we get to Friday,with no big change in circumstances..

But ,Fcuk me ,Boris could come out with an opposing message later in the week and still have folks fawning over him.

He is a stage act.

The selfish part of me is willing Cheltenham on. The Conscientious part of me feels a little guilty about that!.

I guess a lot of us here are feeling that internal dilemma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    I guess a lot of us here are feeling that internal dilemma.

Nope.

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »
    Nope.

I did say it was a guess.

As much as I love racing , it is not the be all and end all for me.

Why would we feel guilty about wanting an event on that we all love? 90+ pages on the Cheltenham thread and its only a week away. Zero internal dilemma!

Why would we feel guilty about wanting an event on that we all love? 90+ pages on the Cheltenham thread and its only a week away. Zero internal dilemma!

Okay.

No dilemma here, in fact I am more happy that the haters are not going to win this one more than anything else. I hope they are fuming.

Looking forward to the outrage from the haters next week more than ever. Bring it on bitches.

Don't feel one bit guilty!
    Hope it goes ahead and the professionally offended are raging

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement