Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus - Cheltenham

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Lucy8080 wrote: »

As much as I love racing , it is not the be all and end all for me.

Considering a lot of us on the forum probably have the 4 days off, people travelling over for it, etc... I think you may be better off posting elsewhere :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

What race is Boris running in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Considering a lot of us on the forum probably have the 4 days off, people travelling over for it, etc... I think you may be better off posting elsewhere :pac:

I've been taking time off(when available ) for Cheltenham for decades. I love it.

I'm not a regular poster here ,but I am a regular reader,for years. I put up Santini as a fancy for this years Gold cup on last years Gold Cup day thread.

I did not start this thread,I didn't vote in the poll (which showed most folks were worried about the Festival).

I guessed that others might feel the way I do , but did not assert they should.

I'm not the enemy here. Some serious racing fans will also have concerns for family members who might be compromised health wise. I think/hope this thread can accommodate both sides of the arguement.

There is no offence taken on my part ,and I hope I'm not offending anyone here.I understand how much Cheltenham is anticipated ( by me too)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    I've been taking time off(when available ) for Cheltenham for decades. I love it.

I'm not a regular poster here ,but I am a regular reader,for years. I put up Santini as a fancy for this years Gold cup on last years Gold Cup day thread.

I did not start this thread,I didn't vote in the poll (which showed most folks were worried about the Festival).

I guessed that others might feel the way I do , but did not assert they should.

I'm not the enemy here. Some serious racing fans will also have concerns for family members who might be compromised health wise. I think/hope this thread can accommodate both sides of the arguement.

There is no offence taken on my part ,and I hope I'm not offending anyone here.I understand how much Cheltenham is anticipated ( by me too)..

Yawn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Dr. Bre wrote: »

I am thanking Zara Phillips and the Queen herself. I would say they had their few cents in the argument. Boris just did what he was told. Zara was not having her week spoilt. Fair play.

hAs4eFSU.jpg

Is Charles and Camilla's horse in any of the handicaps? What is it called again?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Yawn.

What is the point in that seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

I just listened to his interview. He simply kicked the can down the road a few days.

11/4 against , 1/3 on.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/horse-racing/market/1.169321914

I agree on Boris though, he is a flakey dude.

The next big obstacle is tomorrow's media. The likes of Sky News would be fairly anxious to get a decent frenzy going for the week. That is what they do. If it can get through Tuesday and Wednesday without an escalation in confirmed cases I would say the festival is a certainty.

Earlier they had the Labour Shadow Health secretary being interviewed. He is anxious to insinuate that the NHS is a shambles and are not properly prepared. It is a political issue now.

The match in Anfield goes ahead despite the increase in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

1. We're at the "Containment stage" - Cheltenham goes ahead

2. If we reach the "Delay stage" - Cheltenham is postponed

What is the cut-off point moving from "Containment" to "Delay" ?

moritz1234 wrote: »
    1. We're at the "Containment stage" - Cheltenham goes ahead

2. If we reach the "Delay stage" - Cheltenham is postponed

What is the cut-off point moving from "Containment" to "Delay" ?

It depends if you are a hater or not.

For example if you backed it to be cancelled over the weekend at 6/4 I would like to welcome you to the game, I hope you did your bollocks.

Why don't you arrange a demonstration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭laguacamaya

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Hmmm... The Juvenile Handicap Hurdle I think..He's carrying a hefty weight it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

I think we can be justifiably confident now lads, what ye think
    England Wales Rugby going ahead at weekend!

Touching 3/1 against. If they can get through any media frenzy by this time tomorrow it is on. Overnight diagnoses will be key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I will probably miss most of it if it goes ahead.
    This morning I learned I will have an operation at 07:00 on 11th March.
    Had a bit of a result.
    Today I got a phone call bringing the operation forward to Wednesday 4th March.
    I should be at home recuperating for Cheltenham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Once there is not a similar massive increase in positive tests like they have had in Italy in the past 24 hours (+50%)

STB. wrote: »
    Once there is not a similar massive increase in positive tests like they have had in Italy in the past 24 hours (+50%)

Still doubt it will make a difference. A 50% rise is another 20 people. Not enough to cause any hassle in fairness. It would be the announcement of a few hundred escalating into 1000's by the weekend that might have me worried at this point.

4/1 widely available, why don't you put your money where your mouth is? It nearly went 5's earlier?

If that absolute banana Simon Harris trys to postpone sporting events tomorrow.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

I'd say the Cheltenham is safe. The other spring festivals could be in danger though. This thing will spread but not that much inside the week IMO.

Could take a chunk of the early flat season too. Although that may not be such a bad thing 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Yawn.

Good man Charlie you clown.

• Advertisement

British health secretary said today than cancelling sports gatherings is a worst case scenario and wouldn't be for weeks even if it came to that

WOOHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

5/1 against , the Champagne is in the Fridge.

Haters and doubters should try to get 20% of their cynicism/skepticism ( add as necessary) back at 1/5. That price is rapidly evaporating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

British health secretary said today than cancelling sports gatherings is a worst case scenario and wouldn't be for weeks even if it came to that

WOOHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I’ve gone from boris hater to huge fan . Get my priorities right .. wash yer hands and it’ll be grand .

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Croll

Islander13 wrote: »
    6/4 on a cancellation looks like a NAP bet

:D:D:D

HSE asks musical band to self-isolate after contact with Covid-19 patient
    The precautionary measure arises from a community band session last Saturday over a two-hour period, attended by the patient, who is the first confirmed case in the Republic.

First Ireland case confirmed Saturday 29th February.
    Band practice Saturday 29th February.
    My guess is it takes time to process the coronavirus test, so the test would have been taken earlier.

Not exactly panicking, are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

HSE asks musical band to self-isolate after contact with Covid-19 patient
    The precautionary measure arises from a community band session last Saturday over a two-hour period, attended by the patient, who is the first confirmed case in the Republic.

First Ireland case confirmed Saturday 29th February.
    Band practice Saturday 29th February.
    My guess is it takes time to process the coronavirus test, so the test would have been taken earlier.

Not exactly panicking, are we?

Wasn't this confirmed to be a fake news story?

• Advertisement

Wasn't this confirmed to be a fake news story?
    It is on the RTE website.
    Perhaps RTE will change the story.

"Earlier reports circulating that the letter was a hoax are untrue." - RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

The HSE announced that it was fake and then a while later said it wasn't fake. We are in good hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

celt262 wrote: »
    The HSE announced that it was fake and then a while later said it wasn't fake. We are in good hands.

Once they're kept washed and clean!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

"Earlier reports circulating that the letter was a hoax are untrue." - RTE

Ok. I obviously wasn't up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

celt262 wrote: »

They are so bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

I’ve a bad feeling this isn’t quite done with yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

34 new cases in the UK in past 24hrs. If this keeps escalating then the British Government will move to Stage 2 which includes banning mass gatherings :(

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8074317/Thirty-four-new-coronavirus-cases-recorded-UK-infection-toll-reaches-85.html

Getting squeaky again for sure. 9/4 against. The amount of diagnoses over the next 2 days is key.

I wouldn't advise anyone to be reading the Daily Mail either, even I speak less tripe than they do. I find the Guardian tend to be good for information.

https://www.theguardian.com/international

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

34 new cases in the UK in past 24hrs. If this keeps escalating then the British Government will move to Stage 2 which includes banning mass gatherings :(

Fck mass, what about Cheltenham? :pac:

Would this ever all just fuuuccckkkk ooffffff

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Nearly a 100 cases in UK now. Could be a 1,000 by Friday. Not looking good. They could literally decide on Monday to call the thing off.

As it stands I reckon it will go ahead. They had their Cobra meeting on Monday. It is all a political decision now.

MP's don't go to Westminster on Fridays. They all get out of town tomorrow night. Results released tomorrow is the key, if they are going to call it off I say they would be doing so by Friday... unless things got really nasty over the weekend.

They have the 6 nations this weekend going ahead, there is all their soccer etc. I don't see them calling off Cheltenham mid week, I reckon if they are calling it off it would be last thing Friday evening or last thing Monday evening ( which I don't think they can do, everyone is there then). I think the figure would need to breach the 1,000's before they call it off. Fingers crossed. But another 32 diagnoses is a big nudge in 24 hrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

If they got 30 odd new cases in the UK between now and Monday, adding to the current 80 odd are confirmed as of today, that'll be an approx total of 230. Lets for arguments sake say they get more than the 30 a day between now and Monday, and so we'll round it up at 600, plenty of scope there.

The UK has a population of under 67 million. That is 0.00089 of the population.

As we all the know, the Italians made a balls of containing it this, hence its going mental over there.

If people want to exaggerate this, let them.

Slattsy wrote: »
    If they got 30 odd new cases in the UK between now and Monday, adding to the current 80 odd are confirmed as of today, that'll be an approx total of 230. Lets for arguments sake say they get more than the 30 a day between now and Monday, and so we'll round it up at 600, plenty of scope there.

The UK has a population of under 67 million. That is 0.00089 of the population.

As we all the know, the Italians made a balls of containing it this, hence its going mental over there.

If people want to exaggerate this, let them.

30 new cases a day and it would be off. The percentage of the population doesn’t mean a **** by that logic half a million cases would be less than a percent of the population so flake away. A consistent daily increase in cases will result in bans of mass gatherings to try get the spread under control.

lemush wrote: »
    30 new cases a day and it would be off. The percentage of the population doesn’t mean a **** by that logic half a million cases would be less than a percent of the population so flake away. A consistent daily increase in cases will result in bans of mass gatherings to try get the spread under control.

You cant go by what Italy are doing though, as they made a pigs ear of the whole thing. Hence they are being massively cautious.

France, Germany, Spain all have more cases than the UK. No drama there.

• Advertisement

Possibly true.

But you are forgetting that the virus is all political now. The politicians will act on how they are perceived to be representing their stakeholders. The virus is there, it exists, but the reality is that they are not too concerned by it. They have run the numbers and shrugged their shoulders and made their decisions.

It would take a substantial media frenzy over the weekend I think at this stage. Let's see, but don't make the mistake of thinking that they actually care if it spreads or not. Politicians are sociopaths, they don't care about anything except for themselves. They only care about how they are perceived to be doing their job, that counts for all their horse racing pals as well. They will not want to upset industry over a few people catching pneumonia. It sounds really callous I know, but that is how it will roll out now.

Search England Wales Rugby on twitter or Google
    Search City United
    NOT A WORD about cancellations
    not a peep
    only racing seems concerned

Slattsy wrote: »
    You cant go by what Italy are doing though, as they made a pigs ear of the whole thing. Hence they are being massively cautious.

France, Germany, Spain all have more cases than the UK. No drama there.

But the UK have their own plan drawn up, nothing to do with Italy and one stage of that plan is the delay stage which would result the banning of mass gatherings. Their health chief said this morning that they were on “the cusp” of that stage. He said this before these new cases even came to light.
    So whether we like it or not if that stage is implemented by Tuesday then the show is over.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Possibly true.

But you are forgetting that the virus is all political now. The politicians will act on how they are perceived to be representing their stakeholders. The virus is there, it exists, but the reality is that they are not too concerned by it. They have run the numbers and shrugged their shoulders and made their decisions.

It would take a substantial media frenzy over the weekend I think at this stage. Let's see, but don't make the mistake of thinking that they actually care if it spreads or not. Politicians are sociopaths, they don't care about anything except for themselves. They only care about how they are perceived to be doing their job, that counts for all their horse racing pals as well. They will not want to upset industry over a few people catching pneumonia. It sounds really callous I know, but that is how it will roll out now.

When it come a to health the UK is top of a lot of trees. Boris will not go against the advice of the health chiefs and experts as it would be political suicide so I disagree that this is anyway political. The experts will have the say.

Search England Wales Rugby on twitter or Google
    Search City United
    NOT A WORD about cancellations
    not a peep
    only racing seems concerned

This happens though Rog. Racing is an easy one for politicians to use to give the perception that they are doing something about it. That would be a worry for me. If the virus riddles the UK they can always say that they shut down racing to try to stop its' onset. That would be my worry now.

They won't touch their soccer though, far too popular. Enough haters out there would be happy with the racing called off, which is a worry.

When it come a to health the UK is top of a lot of trees. Boris will not go against the advice of the health chiefs and experts as it would be political suicide so I disagree that this is anyway political. The experts will have the say.

He might, but he had the opportunity to pull the plug 2 days ago, why didn't he?

Hopefully Dominic Cummings is a racing fanatic, he runs that country now anyway.

They won't cancel cheltenham and leave football go ahead Moron, no chance
    Its all or none

They won't cancel cheltenham and leave football go ahead Moron, no chance
    Its all or none

If that is the case they will go close doors no fans.

Madrid are heading for Anfield next week as well?

But the UK have their own plan drawn up, nothing to do with Italy and one stage of that plan is the delay stage which would result the banning of mass gatherings. Their health chief said this morning that they were on “the cusp” of that stage. He said this before these new cases even came to light.
    So whether we like it or not if that stage is implemented by Tuesday then the show is over.

Let's all just hope I'm right for once!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Italy have just shut all schools in the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement