Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent or sell investment property

Options
  • 25-02-2020 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I have a property that I used to rent out. Was going to sell it last year as so worried re tenants overloading and changes in letting laws. It's been vacant for a year, and I have been using a room in it sporadically for business - maybe 2 hours per week. This doesn't bring in much money, but at least I was there in property to see it was ok. It has no mortgage, but I would not get the money I paid for it, plus the extension and attic conversion. I could do with the money to help send kids to college - next year, and not have to work overtime, but I really dread renting it again. With the rent caps, I would get about 2450 per month. That would be 2k after management fee - I don't want to manage it myself due to time and health issues which means I have to be careful with my energy. After tax, I would come out with 10k - I am on 56k, so higher tax bracket. What would people advise - sell, given all the changes that might come, or rent it out. I was going to give it to my daughter to rent with 2 pals next year, but she is show messy and uncaring re stuff, I think she would just turn it into a complete mess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Sell it and be done. I am selling up family rentals and my own due to the way things have gone. Look at investing in Portugal if you are retiring and you will see if that would work for you. Some tax advantages that can suit some

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

susieball wrote: »
    I have a property that I used to rent out. Was going to sell it last year as so worried re tenants overloading and changes in letting laws. It's been vacant for a year, and I have been using a room in it sporadically for business - maybe 2 hours per week. This doesn't bring in much money, but at least I was there in property to see it was ok. It has no mortgage, but I would not get the money I paid for it, plus the extension and attic conversion. I could do with the money to help send kids to college - next year, and not have to work overtime, but I really dread renting it again. With the rent caps, I would get about 2450 per month. That would be 2k after management fee - I don't want to manage it myself due to time and health issues which means I have to be careful with my energy. After tax, I would come out with 10k - I am on 56k, so higher tax bracket. What would people advise - sell, given all the changes that might come, or rent it out. I was going to give it to my daughter to rent with 2 pals next year, but she is show messy and uncaring re stuff, I think she would just turn it into a complete mess.

What are the potential sales proceeds? You need to view any investment decision in light of your total financial situation - are you maxing out pension contributions etc? Daughter could receive contributions from potential housemates to fund her college upkeep - you could pay for a cleaner to go in regularly if you're concerned about mess. You're also mentioning renting it for 2450 but then giving it to daughter next year - this introduces a complication if tenants refuse to leave a year down the line.

Are other smaller properties nearer the university your daughter will be going to more suitable? You mention you wouldn't get the money you paid for it - you need to talk to an accountant but this would be a capital loss and could be offset against realised gains elsewhere or realised gains on other investments you make in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 susieball

Thanks for replies. The potential proceeds would be 480k gross - no mortgage, no CAT as property would need to get 500k for that. I am mid 50s. I don't maimise contributions to pensions so many household bill with late teens/college going. Should be paying 500 per month - only paying 200 AVC. Employer pays 10% and I pay 4% plus 200 AVC per month. I worked part-time for many years, so pension is poor to date - now working full-time, but chronic health issue, which may mean I might not be able to work to 65. Have 19 years of UK State pension. I own my own home with no mortgage and a holiday home in Clare with no mortgage - the house in Clare was left to me 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Thanks for replies. The potential proceeds would be 480k gross - no mortgage, no CAT as property would need to get 500k for that. I am mid 50s. I don't maimise contributions to pensions so many household bill with late teens/college going. Should be paying 500 per month - only paying 200 AVC. Employer pays 10% and I pay 4% plus 200 AVC per month. I worked part-time for many years, so pension is poor to date - now working full-time, but chronic health issue, which may mean I might not be able to work to 65. Have 19 years of UK State pension. I own my own home with no mortgage and a holiday home in Clare with no mortgage - the house in Clare was left to me 10 years ago.

Factor in CGT if it wasn't your PPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 susieball

HI! Steers, there would be no CGT as 480k is less than the price I paid for it plus the cost I spent on renovations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Cocobeans101

10K (minimum) a year for no effort on your part is not a bad return on investment. Once you retire, you will earn more from your tax free allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Have you considered letting to the council on the long term leasing scheme. The council are your tenants and they assign the tenancy to someone on the housing list. You are only responsible for the roof and four walls of the property.

The council is responsible for everything else. You get (I think) 80% of market rent for no effort on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Steer55 wrote: »
    Factor in CGT if it wasn't your PPR.

No CGT if there is no gain/profit on the sale. Op has confirmed it is being sold at a loss.

Op, you might think €10k is a good profit, it is only if you have good tenants.

Save yourself the stress of renting, sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

2450 Per Month Rent? Wow, the market really has gone absolutely insane

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Have you considered letting to the council on the long term leasing scheme. The council are your tenants and they assign the tenancy to someone on the housing list. You are only responsible for the roof and four walls of the property.

The council is responsible for everything else. You get (I think) 80% of market rent for no effort on your part.

Not a good idea with a property worth nearly half a million quid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Renting would give you a pathetic 2% posttax return on your property, and 1 dodgy tenant could ruin everything for you.

Sell and invest in risk balance mutual funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

gibgodsman wrote: »
    2450 Per Month Rent? Wow, the market really has gone absolutely insane

It's meaningless to take rent out of context then apply a value judgement plucked from the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Selling now at the peak of the market would advisable
    Renting always comes with risks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

10K (minimum) a year for no effort on your part is not a bad return on investment. Once you retire, you will earn more from your tax free allowance.

…. for some reason, I guess you have never been a Landlord ….

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

No effort no stress... what could go wrong.. there is always an innocent lamb on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

ttps://www.corkcity.ie/en/media-library-do-not-use/housing/leasing-information-booklet.pdf

Seems like an option if you are happy to let house for minimumof 10 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sell it, your return is brutal and the risk is high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

This is the best time to sell, it won't get any higher from now on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Sell it, invest the money in something less stressful. You have left it vacant for a year, it's obvious your heart isn't in the renting business any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dontparkhere

I would definitely keep it. Accommodation for your daughter would cost 7/8k in Dublin for college. Someone might be able to clarify but if it is your daughters principle residence she could rent the rooms tax free up to 14k and use it to fund college ect. The other people renting would be licensees so no hassle with Rtb.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭VonBeanie

I would definitely keep it. Accommodation for your daughter would cost 7/8k in Dublin for college. Someone might be able to clarify but if it is your daughters principle residence she could rent the rooms tax free up to 14k and use it to fund college ect. The other people renting would be licensees so no hassle with Rtb.

IMHO its not quite that simple. Providing a house to a child for free (or even below market value) represents a gift, so the impact on the lifetime CAT threshold would need to be considered. Establishing the Second home as the main residence for a child who is possibly returning home at weekends and holidays etc. is also not straightforward and is needed to use the 14k Rent a room scheme.

Contact a tax advisor if you plan something like this to make sure you are not creating bigger problems than you realise.

Advertisement