Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing

• 25-02-2020 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi. A friend of mine has bought 10 or 12 acres in the Newbridge area and plans to sheep fence plus a stand off electric wire for horses . Any idea on a metre rate by contractors and a metre rate just for materiel . He will be using hi tensile 2' 8" and a high tensile wire on top plus stand off probably in equine tape .

Could you recommend a contractor in that area .

I have suggested he use PDM posts but open to correction as they are not what they used to be......

There was a guy advertising before the ploughing that he was selling a far superior post but someone on boards disputed that and also named him so they must be fairly sure of their facts....... or else they are not supporters of The Tractor Protest

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

brownswiss wrote: »
    Hi. A friend of mine has bought 10 or 12 acres in the Newbridge area and plans to sheep fence plus a stand off electric wire for horses . Any idea on a metre rate by contractors and a metre rate just for materiel . He will be using hi tensile 2' 8" and a high tensile wire on top plus stand off probably in equine tape .

I have suggested he use PDM posts but open to correction as they are not what they used to be......

There was a guy advertising before the ploughing that he was selling a far superior post but someone on boards disputed that and also named him so they must be fairly sure of their facts....... or else they are not supporters of The Tractor Protest

I'M using those stakes, they're good dense timber with preservative going into the centre, don't know if they'll last as long as he claims though

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭brownswiss

wrangler wrote: »
    I'M using those stakes, they're good dense timber with preservative going into the centre, don't know if they'll last as long as he claims though

I am glad to hear that..... He was very convincing in his sales pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Homer jay

Sorry to hijack the thread but I am looking for recommendations on people’s preferences on hi tensile sheep wire for a sheep fencing grant, have done some with what was supposed to be tinsley but not too happy as the uprights are sliding on the horizontal wires. Thanks in advance, Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 westernmyth

X fence is brilliant rigid uprights in a single wire top to bottom, mc namaras in Cork have it

X fence is brilliant rigid uprights in a single wire top to bottom, mc namaras in Cork have it

Thanks westernmyth, I am in mayo does anyone know of anyone in connacht that does it ? Any idea how much per 100m the xfence is ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Homer jay wrote: »

Thanks westernmyth, I am in mayo does anyone know of anyone in connacht that does it ? Any idea how much per 100m the xfence is ?

Bough 9-80-22 sfence from clipex last week which I think is the same as xfence. 120 ex vat for 100 meter roll. Based in clare but they can arrange delivery at a price.

foxirl wrote: »
    Bough 9-80-22 sfence from clipex last week which I think is the same as xfence. 120 ex vat for 100 meter roll. Based in clare but they can arrange delivery at a price.

Thanks for that foxirl, I have been using 8/80/15 so far, do many use the 22 spacing ?

Thanks for that foxirl, I have been using 8/80/15 so far, do many use the 22 spacing ?

22 spacing is ideal at ditches in that sheep grazing the ditchee don't get their head caught the same as the 15 spacing .
    I don't believe 22 spacing is good enough out in the field, it encourages sheep to graze through it

22 spacing is ideal at ditches in that sheep grazing the ditchee don't get their head caught the same as the 15 spacing .
    I don't believe 22 spacing is good enough out in the field, it encourages sheep to graze through it

Thank you wangler, the most thing I would be worried about is the last wire I put up was supposed to be Tinsley and the uprights are sliding on the horizontal wires if the sheep were putting their heads through the 22 it would be worse. What brand of wire would you recommend yourself ?

Thank you wangler, the most thing I would be worried about is the last wire I put up was supposed to be Tinsley and the uprights are sliding on the horizontal wires if the sheep were putting their heads through the 22 it would be worse. What brand of wire would you recommend yourself ?

mainly tornado but tinsley too, I've never noticed the uprights moving, are you sure it was tinsley, plenty of cowboys out there

• Advertisement

mainly tornado but tinsley too, I've never noticed the uprights moving, are you sure it was tinsley, plenty of cowboys out there

Thought I had good ones doing it .... FRS done it.

They'd have used proper wire

They'd have used proper wire

That's what i thought when I got them to do the fencing.

This is the label on the rolls of sheep wire.

This is how the wire was after it was put up, no cattle or sheep had been in the field after it was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

That looks like the Spanish wire. I don't know the name of it. Use tornado sheep wire here. It's pricey but some stuff to work with.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    That looks like the Spanish wire. I don't know the name of it. Use tornado sheep wire here. It's pricey but some stuff to work with.

The rest of the fencing they using tornado, hopefully there won't be an problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭memorystick

What do lads use to fence gaps and weak stretches of ditches? I assume the ordinary mild steal is ok. Nailing to trees and stakes so it won’t be level. Sound

What do lads use to fence gaps and weak stretches of ditches? I assume the ordinary mild steal is ok. Nailing to trees and stakes so it won’t be level. Sound

Better to use high tensile, there's not much difference in cost, mild steel won't stay firm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Ashill5

How much a metre were they. Thinking of doing a good buy of fencing this year but it will be a while before I'll even get it even priced the way things are going.

• Advertisement

This is the label on the rolls of sheep wire.

It's not Tinsley so, You should complain to FRS, It's a messy job, you'd imagine someone moved all the vertical wires. if youstill have the label you should complain to them too

It's not Tinsley so, You should complain to FRS, It's a messy job, you'd imagine someone moved all the vertical wires. if youstill have the label you should complain to them too

They are saying it's Tinsley as Tinsley was bought out by this other crowd a few years ago and you cannot get wire with the Tinsley name on it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

They are saying it's Tinsley as Tinsley was bought out by this other crowd a few years ago and you cannot get wire with the Tinsley name on it anymore.

Glanbia first result on Google

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Tinsley-%28Rylock%29-Green-High-Tensile-Stockfence-Sheep-Wire/B9003085

On their (FRS) website they have both that and Tornado wire under DIY fencing.

https://frsfencing.ie/diy-stores/

As an aside does anyone think that green sheepwire looks sh**e ?.Always use plain unless farmer supplies the green stuff.Personal preference.

On the bottom of the label it says Betafence, that's the company that bought out Tinsley. That's what he was telling me. What wire would you recommend or use yourself Paddy when fencing ? Did you ever use the creosote stakes from agriknives ?

On the bottom of the label it says Betafence, that's the company that bought out Tinsley. That's what he was telling me. What wire would you recommend or use yourself Paddy when fencing ? Did you ever use the creosote stakes from agriknives ?

Tornado mostly but thats what the crowd I mainly deal with have.
    Once its HT it should do the job although some wire is "softer "than others.Nothing bad just it seems easier to tie off.Off the top of my head not sure which brands.
    Have 60m of sheepwire and barbed to do tomorrow.
    Usual panic job so panic price gonna have to be paid !!!

Never used those stakes but cant be any worse than others.No stakes seem to last any more.See Balcas ones here at home rotted away in 6/7 years.Put up octo ones last year and they were dripping preservative.Rotten job as gloves etc destroyed in an hour.

See people saying that agriknives stakes are dark the whole way through but is that of any use?Once the stake is sealed moisture shouldnt get into it to rot it I assume.ESB poles are not cresoted to the centre and they seem to last a long time

Havent used clipex yet but a friend does a good bit of it and swears by it.Not much dearer he reckons but then he wouldn't be the cheapest at any time.Different sheep wire used for it.Only issue is meeting a stone and bending one I presume.

Wouldn't be too worried re. the brand as most HT wire should be up to spec and to be honest FR would probably use pretty decent stuff.

Think its more that Tinsley is about the only brand name of wire that most people know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭memorystick

Is it hard to handle high tensile when doing gaps and banks of ditches? Not a clear run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Agree with wrangler, very hard to be looking at that for the next number of years. If It was me I'd have stopped them as soon as I saw it

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Agree with wrangler, very hard to be looking at that for the next number of years. If It was me I'd have stopped them as soon as I saw it

Any picture's of the job ?Agree the uprights like that looks poor.Sometimes bars get pulled but would normally tap them back into line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

brownswiss wrote: »

Hi did you get sorted?. Dad used to work with a fella during the recession doing a bit of fencing. Hes in Prosperous. I can get you the number?. Pm me if you want it

Advertisement