Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Havent used clipex yet but a friend does a good bit of it and swears by it.Not much dearer he reckons but then he wouldn't be the cheapest at any time.Different sheep wire used for it.Only issue is meeting a stone and bending one I presume.

Just finishing putting up my first clipex fence here. Early days, but think it's a superb product compared to the timber stakes. If you hit a stone while driving them, just lift it out and move a inch or two. Same as a stake. Or if you've gone too far and cannt pull it out, just put your whole weight against it, to bend it slightly. They are fair strong though. Once you use with a good HT wire, think they'll be a life time job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Would there be any chance of the stakes moving in the ground if anything scratches against it? Smaller spike in ground to take pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Would there be any chance of the stakes moving in the ground if anything scratches against it? Smaller spike in ground to take pressure

If your asking do the clipex posts move, no they dont. you drive them down deeper then a timber post, so they feel more stable then a regular stake. Cannt see the sheep being able to budge them. Tbh, they feel rock solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭drive it

Anyone use then in boggy ground ?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Hi did you get sorted?. Dad used to work with a fella during the recession doing a bit of fencing. Hes in Prosperous. I can get you the number?. Pm me if you want it
    ....Thanks.... No did not get sorted.... I might take a bus man's holiday at his place if the virus ever disappears and help him do some fencing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Capra

Tornado mostly but thats what the crowd I mainly deal with have.
    Once its HT it should do the job although some wire is "softer "than others.Nothing bad just it seems easier to tie off.Off the top of my head not sure which brands.
    Have 60m of sheepwire and barbed to do tomorrow.
    Usual panic job so panic price gonna have to be paid !!!

Never used those stakes but cant be any worse than others.No stakes seem to last any more.See Balcas ones here at home rotted away in 6/7 years.Put up octo ones last year and they were dripping preservative.Rotten job as gloves etc destroyed in an hour.

See people saying that agriknives stakes are dark the whole way through but is that of any use?Once the stake is sealed moisture shouldnt get into it to rot it I assume.ESB poles are not cresoted to the centre and they seem to last a long time

Havent used clipex yet but a friend does a good bit of it and swears by it.Not much dearer he reckons but then he wouldn't be the cheapest at any time.Different sheep wire used for it.Only issue is meeting a stone and bending one I presume.

Agriknives might or might not have a good post but the guy is a liar which would put me off straight away. He spends all his time slating off everyone elses products. He tells people that pdm posts will last 8 years maximum which is total bollocks.

And then he tells people there is a 40 year guarantee but the lads on the stand at the ploughing from the treatment plant told me explicitly that there is no guarantee with them. He doesn't offer any proof or terms and conditions of the guarantee as far as I know either so I'd love to know how he enforces it. They are very expensive too. There are other good suppliers doing creosote timber without having to deal with a total ****ehawk. I rang him up for prices and he was telling me outright lies about the people I deal with for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Capra wrote: »
    Agriknives might or might not have a good post but the guy is a liar which would put me off straight away. He spends all his time slating off everyone elses products. He tells people that pdm posts will last 8 years maximum which is total bollocks.

And then he tells people there is a 40 year guarantee but the lads on the stand at the ploughing from the treatment plant told me explicitly that there is no guarantee with them. He doesn't offer any proof or terms and conditions of the guarantee as far as I know either so I'd love to know how he enforces it. They are very expensive too. There are other good suppliers doing creosote timber without having to deal with a total ****ehawk. I rang him up for prices and he was telling me outright lies about the people I deal with for years.

The first hundred I got seem to be good, the second hundred were very white he said they'd get dark. they didn't, they're the ones that are cracking up and down from the staples. He claims now that farmers are broke and not buying stakes but it's because they've copped on to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Capra wrote: »

Never met the lad, no connection with him personally nor commercially, but these are what he sells.
    Clearly mentions 40 years.

JjFpqVY.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Never met the lad, no connection with him personally nor commercially, but these are what he sells.

JjFpqVY.jpg

is he the guy based in the midlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Capra

Nekarsulm wrote: »

JjFpqVY.jpg

An expected service life of 40 years is not the same as a guarantee. A guarantee means they will be replaced if they fail. Sure tanalised posts have an "expected service life" of 20 years according to the nsai certification but they last 10 years at a push.

He's basically selling the same product as everyone else who imports creosoted timber but he buys them from England where they are less competitive. There are dozens of places selling the exact same product for less money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement