Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoronaVirus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

No Disney for us over esster now. But it would have been much worse if I was trapped in the US for over 30 days during a pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Pay no attention to the thick orange racist - he is thick, after all. The actual policy announced by the Dept of Homeland Security is not a ban on flights; it's a ban on entry by non-US persons who have been in a Schengen country in the previous 14 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

AdpRo wrote: »
    Due to fly into Munich and drive to Soll for a week on Saturday, changing my mind hourly about going....it will be Friday night / Saturday morning before we finally decide.

I'm in a similar position.
    Supposed to be flying to Berlin on Friday afternoon but I keep changing my mind by the hour too. Right now it is more the fear of either Germany or Ireland suddenly going into lockdown over the weekend and being stranded there.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Pay no attention to the thick orange racist - he is thick, after all. The actual policy announced by the Dept of Homeland Security is not a ban on flights; it's a ban on entry by non-US persons who have been in a Schengen country in the previous 14 days.

How is that better for those wanting to get to the States in next few weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

tbayers wrote: »

Do you not realise what is happening? Travel is out of the question for the next 6 weeks at least.

tbayers wrote: »
    I didn't say that it was better; just that it was different from what Trump announced.

But, depending on what you think "better" means, it's better because there'll still be flights. Provided someone wanting to enter the US hasn't been in a Schengen country in the past 14 days, they can enter the US on those flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I didn't say that it was better; just that it was different from what Trump announced.

But, depending on what you think "better" means, it's better because there'll still be flights. Provided someone wanting to enter the US hasn't been in a Schengen country in the past 14 days, they can enter the US on those flights.

Airlines will cancel flights. With Europe trying to put through legislation to prevent planes from having to fly to keep slots cant see them continuing with empty (ish) flights. I dunno, tis all a bit mad

They'll cancel many flights, but not all. There are US people in Schengenland right now with return tickets which the airlines must honour, one way or another. These people may be rescheduled, but they won't be stranded. And, even after the ban is announced, there will be US people who want to travel to Schengenland and return, so there will still be some flights running. If nothing else, the US has about 60,000 service personnel and their families and dependents in Schengenland, and they are not affected by the ban and will presumably generate a certain amout of travel back and forth. Plus other US citizens who, despite concerns about coronavirus, still want to travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

I had a holiday booked through expedia.ie to Villamoura in May, I booked it in December and I only realized now that the hotel states that it is non-refundable. I had a look at my Multi trip travel insurance which I purchased last year and the cover is ending on 16th of May but we travel on 14th May, will I be covered if flights to Portugal are cancelled?

I looked at booking another policy with AA insurance but it says regarding the accommodation that:

If you booked your accommodation through your travel provider, you will need to contact them directly to seek a refund.

If you booked your accommodation independently, you must first seek a refund from the accommodation provider. If this is unsuccessful, you may then refer your claim to your travel insurance provider.[/I]

I have sent emails but have had no response, has anyone else had or have a similar issue or can someone shed some light on a situation like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

homer1982 wrote: »
    I had a holiday booked through expedia.ie to Villamoura in May, I booked it in December and I only realized now that the hotel states that it is non-refundable. I had a look at my Multi trip travel insurance which I purchased last year and the cover is ending on 16th of May but we travel on 14th May, will I be covered if flights to Portugal are cancelled?

I looked at booking another policy with AA insurance but it says regarding the accommodation that:

If you booked your accommodation through your travel provider, you will need to contact them directly to seek a refund.

If you booked your accommodation independently, you must first seek a refund from the accommodation provider. If this is unsuccessful, you may then refer your claim to your travel insurance provider.[/I]

I have sent emails but have had no response, has anyone else had or have a similar issue or can someone shed some light on a situation like this?

What is the insurers T's&C's on Pandemics? im meant to be going to New YOrk and my insurance isnt worth a **** now becasue its been declared a Pandemic and thats excluded from teh insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Are we going to end up with hotels full of people waiting out 14 days outside Schengen before flying to the US?

Are we going to end up with hotels full of people waiting out 14 days outside Schengen before flying to the US?

Every cloud has a silver lining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

homer1982 wrote: »

My hotel in Italy was non refundable booked through booking.com but they were able to force a free cancellation when the travel bans came in. So it's a case of wait and see I'd say.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

It's a death sentence not a silver lining.

• Advertisement

It's a death sentence not a silver lining.

Not necessarily. If they’re not I’ll, the hotels will be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ok so the situation is still escalating, US Ban is first.

UK are meeting this morning to consider further measures to lock down.

Spoke with a colleague in Denmark and they are on Lock down, all but essential workers advised to stay home.

Personally I was due to fly out tomorrow on a holiday to Eastern Europe and Turkey which I have cancelled.

Anyone who is considering traveling in the next 4 weeks and is non-essential then I would advise to just cancel Immediately.

We don't know what's going to happen next in terms of Airspace or Airports being locked down.

My reasons for cancelling were that I don't want to arrive in a non-EU(or eu for that matter) country and get my temperature taken by a border guard who decides to ship me off to some remote containment area for 2 weeks where I don't speak the language and could be mixed up with those who actually do have the CV19 Virus, exposing me to the illness, and I am left to try and find a way home possibly by land due to airport closures..

Not necessarily. If they’re not I’ll, the hotels will be happy.

You reeeeealllly need to do some reading about how serious and scary this situation is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Re-up this. Tomorrow is the day. 20 cases now on the island. 6 of them were of that original hotel that was in quarantine. A few people earlier the week said to go for it, still that same feeling?

I have two friends in Tenerife at the moment, both said everything is fine and they have had amazing weather, I would definitely go given the chance !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

solerina wrote:
    I have two friends in Tenerife at the moment, both said everything is fine and they have had amazing weather, I would definitely go given the chance !!

Jesus Christ.

While people like you and your friends maintain your selfish attitude, any good work done by people regarding isolation and distancing is worth nothing.

What will it take for you to act responsibly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Anyone who is considering traveling in the next 4 weeks and is non-essential then I would advise to just cancel Immediately.

We're meant to be travelling to Morocco in 2 weeks. Obviously it's looking like we won't go now. However I don't want to jump the gun and cancel everything until we do our homework to see what the smartest move is from a financial perspective. For example, we might wait and see if the airline and/or hotel cancels first so we can actually get some money back! Our hotel was only fully refundable up to a month ahead of time, which is a bit of a kicker :( Can't see travel insurance paying up unless Morocco becomes a no travel area.

Or do we take a risk and see if we can reschedule flights and hotel for later in the year. Don't want to travel there during the oppressive summer heat though. We're getting married in September and hadn't intended on this being our honeymoon! So if we did reschedule, we could be looking at December.

A lot to think about in terms of the logistics of cancelling/rescheduling. Relatively speaking though, it's obviously not a problem. Taking a financial hit is nothing compared to people dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Here's hoping that hotels and accommodation will be understanding of the situation and allow people to move dates. That would be a big thing, certainly in my situation.

Airlines won't I would assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

I just checked with my villa provider in Lanzarote. They won't refund / postpone unless advice from DFA is not to travel.

Due to go out there next Wednesday.

Dunno what to do now. There's still no cases on the island, but don't want to get stuck there, or have to self isolate when I get home if things develop while we're away....

DublinCJM wrote:
    I just checked with my villa provider in Lanzarote. They won't refund / postpone unless advice from DFA is not to travel.

I'd take the hit man. Not worth the risk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

We're supposed to be off to Harry Potter World and London tomorrow for 4 nights.

Family of five.

Flights, hotel and Harry Potter World still operating.

We are 50/50. Any views?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Ironicname wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.

While people like you and your friends maintain your selfish attitude, any good work done by people regarding isolation and distancing is worth nothing.

What will it take for you to act responsibly?

I don't understand what you mean, Tenerife isn't on the list of places not to Travel to.

Has there been a travel advisory for there?

Are you suggesting that anyone travelling anywhere should cancel their plans ?

redcup342 wrote: »
    I don't understand what you mean, Tenerife isn't on the list of places not to Travel to.

Has there been a travel advisory for there?

Are you suggesting that anyone travelling anywhere should cancel their plans ?

It's on the US's list of places.

Basically all of Europe has active community transmission right now. We all need to limit all journeys to reduce spread.

It's on the US's list of places.

Basically all of Europe has active community transmission right now. We all need to limit all journeys to reduce spread.

https://es.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information/

Spain has been Level 2 since October 2019 (and that's in Barcelona and Catalonia due to civil unrest) , no change in risk assessment.

Level 3 is Reconsider travel
    Level 4 is Do not Travel

I also do not think this information from the US really applies as they've applied a restriction from the entire Schengen area (with very confusing restrictions)

Can you share this list you are talking about ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    We're supposed to be off to Harry Potter World and London tomorrow for 4 nights.

Family of five.

Flights, hotel and Harry Potter World still operating.

We are 50/50. Any views?

London could be risky given the reliance on the tube (social spacing or whatever they call it won't be possible).

https://es.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information/

Spain has been Level 2 since October 2019 (and that's in Barcelona and Catalonia due to civil unrest) , no change in risk assessment.

Level 3 is Reconsider travel
    Level 4 is Do not Travel

I also do not think this information from the US really applies as they've applied a restriction from the entire Schengen area (with very confusing restrictions)

Can you share this list you are talking about ?

Seriously, the US president was on TV last night and announced no travel to the Schengen area but you're ok because they havent got around to updating their website? Only the website can count?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Spain is fewer than 7 days behind Italy in terms of cases per million. All of Europe is in the same boat varying between 5 and 14 days.

This is Italy a few days ago, it's worse now:

https://mronline.org/2020/03/10/testimony-of-a-surgeon-working-in-bergamo-in-the-heart-of-italys-coronavirus-outbreak/

This virus kills 0.5-1% of sufferers until ICU beds run out.
    Then it kills 5-10%.

The time for dicking around is over.

Go home, lock your door, do not leave except to work an essential job or to buy groceries. The more we can reduce spread, the more people can get an ICU bed.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Need advice. I was hoping to go to Norway in a week's time. I don't have to go but it would be a nice break. Should I stay at home or go.

woodchuck wrote: »
    We're meant to be travelling to Morocco in 2 weeks..
    DublinCJM wrote: »
    I just checked with my villa provider in Lanzarote. Due to go out there next Wednesday.....
    Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    We're supposed to be off to Harry Potter World and London tomorrow for 4 nights.Family of five?

Ok, I am not an alarmist or fearful of the Virus and I had multiple flights booked from tomorrow to go on a 10 night holiday, I did everything to avoid having to cancel, part of my trip was to meet with friends and relatives in London, then onto Como in Italy, and onward to two other destinations afterwards...
    I am of good health, reasonably young and not in the vulnerable groups..

My advice to those of you considering traveling within the next 4 weeks?

CANCEL NOW!

Cut your losses and consider that it's best to protect yourself and your family from an escalating situation.

Would you be happy to be sent to a Moroccan hospital or holding area for 2 weeks and possibly struggle to get back....?

If someone starts coughing at your hotel in Lanzarote and they close it down while they test everyone, will you be happy to miss your flights and return to work?

In the UK they have registered 134 new cases in one day, so do you want to be caught up in that?

Mach Two wrote: »
    Need advice. I was hoping to go to Norway in a week's time. I don't have to go but it would be a nice break. Should I stay at home or go.

Denmark locked down lastnight, how long do you think before Norway follows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

A week maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Mach Two

What is a lockdown in layman's terms.

CANCEL NOW!

Cut your losses and consider that it's best to protect yourself and your family from an escalating situation.

Would you be happy to be sent to a Moroccan hospital or holding area for 2 weeks and possibly struggle to get back....?

If you'd read my full post I said I was MEANT to go, but obviously looking like we won't now. The only reason I haven't cancelled YET is because I want to figure out the best way to minimise the financial fall out first. E.g. wait for flights/hotel to cancel first or try to rebook for another date etc.

Our flight isn't for another two weeks, so I have the luxury of a bit of time to figure out the best course of action - 99% likely we WON'T be going, but need to figure out a plan first before I start cancelling all the bookings in a panic and potentially losing money unnecessarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm not travelling to Barcelona tomorrow now. Emailed hotel as they said I can re-arrange so seeing do they want the dates or not. If they don't, I'll cancel the flights and play it by air. If they do, I'll change the flights and put a time in for October.

If you'd read my full post I said I was MEANT to go, but obviously looking like we won't now. The only reason I haven't cancelled YET is because I want to figure out the best way to minimise the financial fall out first. E.g. wait for flights/hotel to cancel first or try to rebook for another date etc. Our flight isn't for another two weeks, so I have the luxury of a bit of time to figure out the best course of action - 99% likely we WON'T be going, but need to figure out a plan first before I start cancelling all the bookings in a panic and potentially losing money unnecessarily.

Of course it's up to each individual to decide what's best to do in each case...

Balance up the risks, which is more important, health or money..
    The potential loss of earnings from being infected.
    The risk of being quarantined in a foreign country.
    The cost of having to purchase new travel tickets at short notice and at a high cost due to lack of available flights...

Seriously, the US president was on TV last night and announced no travel to the Schengen area but you're ok because they havent got around to updating their website? Only the website can count?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Spain is fewer than 7 days behind Italy in terms of cases per million. All of Europe is in the same boat varying between 5 and 14 days.

This is Italy a few days ago, it's worse now:

https://mronline.org/2020/03/10/testimony-of-a-surgeon-working-in-bergamo-in-the-heart-of-italys-coronavirus-outbreak/

This virus kills 0.5-1% of sufferers until ICU beds run out.
    Then it kills 5-10%.

The time for dicking around is over.

Go home, lock your door, do not leave except to work an essential job or to buy groceries. The more we can reduce spread, the more people can get an ICU bed.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

I think you are reading a bit too much Internet and pulling pieces of information from wherever suits.

I'll follow the advisory from the local government here, rather than try and become and armchair expert myself, it's what they're paid for after all.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    A week maybe?

I heard that Oslo airport is to shut one of their runways to accommodate grounded planes due to the U.S travel restrictions..

Of course it's up to each individual to decide what's best to do in each case...

Balance up the risks, which is more important, health or money..
    The potential loss of earnings from being infected.
    The risk of being quarantined in a foreign country.
    The cost of having to purchase new travel tickets at short notice and at a high cost due to lack of available flights...

Again, you're making out like I said I was still seriously considering going. I'm not. I'm just deciding the best WAY to cancel before I actually do.

I think you are reading a bit too much Internet and pulling pieces of information from wherever suits.

I'll follow the advisory from the local government here, rather than try and become and armchair expert myself, it's what they're paid for after all.

I am not.

Ask yourself when is the last time flights between European countries were suspended?
    When is the last time flights between Europe and the US were suspended?
    When is the last time creches, schools and universities were shut down for a non-weather related emergency?

Governments around the world are throwing their countries into out and out recessions to stop this thing.

It is not possible to be too scared about this virus.

Again, you're making out like I said I was still seriously considering going. I'm not. I'm just deciding the best WAY to cancel before I actually do.

Dude chill, I honestly couldn't care less what you personally do.

My advice to those who are considering travel in the next 4 weeks is not to.

I won't be replying to you again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I am not.

Ask yourself when is the last time flights between European countries were suspended?
    When is the last time creches, schools and universities were shut down for a non-weather related emergency?

Governments around the world are throwing their countries into out and out recessions to stop this thing.

The sentences preceding your last one imply that it’s very possible

Jimbob1977 wrote:
    We are 50/50. Any views?

My view is that you would be absolutely irresponsible to even think about it. It's horrible to lose money but my god, if you are even contemplating travelling after the news over the last few days, its baffling to think where your priorities lie.

• Advertisement

Mach Two wrote:

Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭raxy

Ironicname wrote: »
    My view is that you would be absolutely irresponsible to even think about it. It's horrible to lose money but my god, if you are even contemplating travelling after the news over the last few days, its baffling to think where your priorities lie.

Why so baffling? The government are not advising against travel to where he wants to go. The WHO do not recommend any travel restrictions as there is no evidence that they do anything to prevent the spread of the disease.

Do you know more about this then either of those?

I'm not suggesting anybody travels or not, I've decided to forfit the deposit for my holiday, but the outrage of some posters of people asking questions is a bit over the top. People are as likely (in a lot of cases more likely) to get the disease staying here rather than travelling, they just need to excersise caution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Britain just changed the status to 'Delay'.

I think we'll postpone our trip

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Does anyone think that the government will issue a " Do not travel to Spain" in the next few days considering what's happening in Madrid?

I am not.

10 years ago, Volcano in Iceland

10 years ago, Same reason

Plenty of Times, there are outbreaks of TB and Measles all the time (and other Infectious diseases that pose a risk to Public Health), I myself had to be tested for TB along with 800 others that had been exposed.

Don't care, I follow the advice of Local Government Public Health Organisation. Recession is a topic for the Government I voted for to deal with.

Respect is what you should have for it, Fear just means people will irrational choices and see everything in a poor light.

I'm not going to live my life in fear either, I'll just follow what the advice from official channels pertaining to the Country I live in, nothing more nothing less.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement