Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoronaVirus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

I was planning on going somewhere up until this hit.

I have no problem postponing it,but my fear is that they actually lock everything down in a couple weeks and i'm almost tempted to get out now while i still can.

Anyone know whats the chances of airports being totally locked down in a couple weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭raxy

I was planning on going somewhere up until this hit.

I have no problem postponing it,but my fear is that they actually lock everything down in a couple weeks and i'm almost tempted to get out now while i still can.

Anyone know whats the chances of airports being totally locked down in a couple weeks

Unlikely, exporting the virus is allowed, its importing they're worried about.
    Unless it gets bad an here & where you plan on going doesn't allow planes from Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Following all existing official government advice would have us going to France on Saturday as planned. It's not a "do not travel" area. There are just two of us. We are going to an unaffected region and traveling through Geneva.

But there is huge fear about a French or Swiss lockdown being whispered into our ears, about getting stuck there.

Our companies are on work from home now. So self-isolating on our return wouldn't be a problem.

There is of course the risk of going through a highly infected airport. But it's all a risk as people are unable to predict the spread. We would pick it up and spread it just as easily now by going to our local Tesco.

This is more of a ramble than anything useful. Apologies. Show of hands who is still planning to travel to Europe over the next couple of weeks? Pending lockdown-esque measures there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

raxy wrote:
    Why so baffling? The government are not advising against travel to where he wants to go. The WHO do not recommend any travel restrictions as there is no evidence that they do anything to prevent the spread of the disease.

The WHO and the government have been specific in Saying that social distancing and personal responsibility are key to preventing the spread of the virus.

You seem to think that going on a holiday to a densely tourist area is ok unless explicitly told not to.

That's what's baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hotel offered me a refund. I booked with a non refundable rate so I find that exceptionally nice of them taking care of their guests like that.

Going to try and get one off Aer Lingus later, or at least a voucher to reuse, but not expecting much off them

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

If you booked with a credit card are you covered for any nonrefundable cancellations? I tried to look at this and I know in the UK there is a section 75 that deals with these situations but I was not sure about Ireland. I found the following link to mastercard

https://www.mastercard.ie/en-ie/consumers/features-benefits/card-benefits.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

titan18 wrote: »
    Going to try and get one off Aer Lingus later, or at least a voucher to reuse, but not expecting much off them

Air France/KLM, Lufthansa Group airlines, SAS, Croatia Airlines and Aegean are offering free rebooking for exising bookings, with AF/KL also offering a refund by means of a voucher valid for one year.

Aer Lingus and BA however are not allowing free changes for exisiting bookings. I wouldn't expect anything from Ryanair but with EI/BA you'd expect better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭raxy

Ironicname wrote: »
    The WHO and the government have been specific in Saying that social distancing and personal responsibility are key to preventing the spread of the virus.

You seem to think that going on a holiday to a densely tourist area is ok unless explicitly told not to.

That's what's baffling.

Actually I did not suggest anyone travel, maybe read my post properly.
    I mearly questioned peoples aggressive opinions when people are simply asking for advice.

VG31 wrote:
    Aer Lingus and BA however are not allowing free changes for exisiting bookings. I wouldn't expect anything from Ryanair but with EI/BA you'd expect better.

Ya, if it was Ryanair, I'd expect nothing. Hopefully Aer Lingus will do something. I fly with them often enough that it'd be nice if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Countries going on lock down, you don't think you should be entitled to a refund?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Countries going on lock down, you don't think you should be entitled to a refund?

Only Italy is on lockdown I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭wijam

Just called off trip to Girona on Saturday for 5 days, too many unknowns to risk it, got a refund from the hotel but think flights and bike rental money are a goner.

Also think week in Mallorca at Easter is a goner, but should be able to claim most back. Will have to wait and see for Amsterdam in May and Girona again in June.

And there was me thinking it was great to get everything booked and paid for by the end of the year

wijam wrote:
    Just called off trip to Girona on Saturday for 5 days, too many unknowns to risk it, got a refund from the hotel but think flights and bike rental money are a goner.

Ya, I'm not expecting much with the flight. Was on hold for 30 mins and just gave up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Meanwhile a Dutch national thought it was funny to create an air rage incident on an Aer Lingus aircraft, saying he had the corona virus.

What a spanner.

2 months in the Joy will sort him out .

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0312/1121915-hoax-covid-19-aer-lingus/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Only Italy is on lockdown I think?
    But the uncertainty!

Will they lock down Netherlands while I'm in Amsterdam?

Will Ireland ever lock down? (haha yea right)

Should be blanket refunds to put people at ease.

But we all know the ryaniar shower will run empty planes to double up on sweet sweet €€€€. Low-fueled, fully-booked empty planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Taylor365 wrote: »
    But the uncertainty!

Will they lock down Netherlands while I'm in Amsterdam?

Will Ireland ever lock down? (haha yea right)

Should be blanket refunds to put people at ease.

But we all know the ryaniar shower will run empty planes to double up on sweet sweet €€€€. Low-fueled, fully-booked empty planes.

I understand. Booked tickets for Madrid next weekend 3 months ago.

Taylor365 wrote:

Whatever about Ryanair, I'd expect better off Aer Lingus. Even if it wasn't a full refund, offer credit for the flight so that when it's over, you'll rebook. They can keep the money then at least, look good for PR and keep a customer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

easypazz wrote: »
    We need to get rid of a few billion people, so let it spread.

Be careful what you wish for

Mr.S wrote: »
    Most countries will get a couple of cases at this rate.

European countries are well prepared, I wouldn't worry.

I wouldn't be travelling to China, but apart from that :pac:

You called that spot on😂 mad looking back on early posts

• Advertisement

I've Lanzarote booked for end of July and absolutely not going as of now.
    I know alot of people think it'll be gone by then but I can see this playing out for a lot longer we're only starting off here in Ireland.
    Due to go to Spain too end of June, same won't be going.
    Our international student and all his group have just gotten word tonight that flights are booked to bring them home to Spain tomorrow. There's talk that all Spanish airports will be locked down in the coming weeks.
    My thinking is Im going g no where with my kids in 2020 either way.
    Time to refuel and keep healthy.
    Our son is a chronic asthmatic BTW.
    Well loose money on the Spanish flights and loose the deposit on the Lanzarote one, I suppose I'll still be expected to pay the balance on that soon but won't be happening either.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jake66

Going to Vietnam on April 4th.to visit daughter.
    Should we cancel now or chance going.
    If we go will we have to self isolate when we come home to Ireland??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Following all existing official government advice would have us going to France on Saturday as planned. It's not a "do not travel" area. There are just two of us. We are going to an unaffected region and traveling through Geneva.

But there is huge fear about a French or Swiss lockdown being whispered into our ears, about getting stuck there.

Our companies are on work from home now. So self-isolating on our return wouldn't be a problem.

There is of course the risk of going through a highly infected airport. But it's all a risk as people are unable to predict the spread. We would pick it up and spread it just as easily now by going to our local Tesco.

This is more of a ramble than anything useful. Apologies. Show of hands who is still planning to travel to Europe over the next couple of weeks? Pending lockdown-esque measures there?

I was supposed to be flying to Berlin tomorrow but finally decided not to go given the current circumstances and how rapidly they are developing.
    I'm losing €200 but it is what it is.

Getting 33 euro back on flights that cost 210 with Aer Lingus.

73 euro on government taxes but there's a 20 euro refund fee on each way.

Even easyJet are waiving all change fees, existing or new. It's a really bad look for Aer Lingus imo that they're really offering nothing.

Agent was quite helpful tbf, but hamstrung by management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Supposed to be off to Lisbon tomorrow with a group for a couple of nights. Knot forming in my stomach over the last hour.
    Am I mad to be going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Supposed to be off to Lisbon tomorrow with a group for a couple of nights. Knot forming in my stomach over the last hour.
    Am I mad to be going?

Yes. Don't be stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

as early as June 2019, we booked a holiday with our 2 kids (17 and 13) in Thailand (Bangkok and Phukett) on 02 April Holiday fully paid.
    Rang Trailfinder today as I read thatQatar yesterday reported a steep increase in COVID19 positive patients. Doha not allowing flights from Thailand if Qatar is the final destination but seem to be ok with transits. The lady on the phone said that no restrictions to visit Thailand arein operation so, business as usual. Any advice? First time there...

Spain has gone to avoid non essential travel now. Wonder can I get my money back fully now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Spain has gone to avoid non essential travel now. Wonder can I get my money back fully now

Normally needs to be 'do not travel' on the DFA site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

shower of selfish pricks on this thread

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Normally needs to be 'do not travel' on the DFA site.

My insurance kicks in at avoid non essential travel reading the document.

If after the time you booked your trip the
    Department of Foreign Affairs allocates
    a security status of ‘Avoid non-essential
    travel’ or ‘Do not travel’ to your intended
    destination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yes. Don't be stupid.

Don't go we are in albufeira till next Thursday , and it's looking like we will be locked in for weeks , place is like a ghost toem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Supposed to be off to Lisbon tomorrow with a group for a couple of nights. Knot forming in my stomach over the last hour. Am I mad to be going?

Mad? No. Stupid? Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

regedit wrote: »
    as early as June 2019, we booked a holiday with our 2 kids (17 and 13) in Thailand (Bangkok and Phukett) on 02 April Holiday fully paid.
    Rang Trailfinder today as I read thatQatar yesterday reported a steep increase in COVID19 positive patients. Doha not allowing flights from Thailand if Qatar is the final destination but seem to be ok with transits. The lady on the phone said that no restrictions to visit Thailand arein operation so, business as usual. Any advice? First time there...

#staycation

easypazz wrote: »
    #staycation

I would love to see this term banished from Ireland, as if it were snakes or a rampant virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yes. Don't be stupid.

Cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

decided that trip to NYC departong has been cancelled, too much of a risk

Gutted but sure there is more important things in life than my holiday and the place will always be there to visit another time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Myself and my partner are due to fly to London tomorrow for 3 nights. I'm really wary of going as I have elderly relatives and I'm just paranoid about potentially passing the virus onto them. My partner thinks I'm being stupid. I can see arguments galore today between us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

gazzer wrote: »
    Myself and my partner are due to fly to London tomorrow for 3 nights. I'm really wary of going as I have elderly relatives and I'm just paranoid about potentially passing the virus onto them. My partner thinks I'm being stupid. I can see arguments galore today between us.

As its already rampant here I dont see the point in not going. No higher risk of getting it over there.

Uk realistically have up to 10000 case there just not confirmed as they arnt testing people unless they are sick in hospital

We are all going to have to take a hit unfortunately at some time
    I know if there was w a risk of myself bringing it home I wouldn’t go
    I haven’t visited my dad (who has copd) in two weeks and have cancelled a city break later in the month
    These places went going anywhere they will still be here in a few months and hopefully we are too and our loved ones

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

My partner and I are leaving for Thailand on Saturday for 2 weeks. Dosent appear to be so bad there yet but still not looking forward to the flight, airport etc. Im sure they are doing some entry checks when we arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Mrs Dodge and our daughter should be on a flight to London now. Checked in yesterday morning but decided not to go about lunch time

Few quid down but honestly, she felt quite relieved. We’re not panicky people but this thing is moving so quickly it’s best to wait it out and try to stay away from people as best we can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

Does that include Canaries?

We're supposed to be going to Lanzarote over Easter. Don't think they have any cases of yet....but guessing the holiday will not be happening (although still 5 weeks out)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

daheff wrote: »

We're supposed to be going to Lanzarote over Easter. Don't think they have any cases of yet....but guessing the holiday will not be happening (although still 5 weeks out)

Friends of mine going to tenerife next week for a wedding,leaving 4 young children behind them to be minded by grandparents!! As of last night they are still going,I think they are very selfish but no talking to them

daheff wrote:

I'd say it does. No separate spot for them on DFA website so imagine it's counted under Spain

Dodge wrote: »
    Mrs Dodge and our daughter should be on a flight to London now. Checked in yesterday morning but decided not to go about lunch time

Few quid down but honestly, she felt quite relieved. We’re not panicky people but this thing is moving so quickly it’s best to wait it out and try to stay away from people as best we can

Similar situation here. It’s the travelling that I fear the most. Imagine being on an airplane where half the passengers don’t wash their hands after going to the toilet. (Figures based on observation by OH on a recent trip through Dublin Airport)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

redcup342 wrote: »
    I'm not going to live my life in fear either, I'll just follow what the advice from official channels pertaining to the Country I live in, nothing more nothing less.

At least you have your official advice now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Managed to get through to British Airways after 65 minutes on hold.

They are getting hammered.

Long story short..... I cancelled the flights to London and managed to recoup 60% of the fares. Pleasant surprise. I was expecting a few quid of government taxes.

The admin fees were waived.

The functionality on their website to cancel booking/calculate a refund has been inoperable for a long time.

Friends of mine going to tenerife next week for a wedding,leaving 4 young children behind them to be minded by grandparents!! As of last night they are still going,I think they are very selfish but no talking to them

And they are still friends😱

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Is Dublin Airport empty or are people still flying in large numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And they are still friends😱

I know!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement