Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoronaVirus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Managed to get through to British Airways after 65 minutes on hold.

They are getting hammered.

Long story short..... I cancelled the flights to London and managed to recoup 60% of the fares. Pleasant surprise. I was expecting a few quid of government taxes.

The admin fees were waived.

The functionality on their website to cancel booking/calculate a refund has been inoperable for a long time.

Would you mind if I asked if you could give more detail on the conversation? Since your flights weren't to a "do not travel" or "avoid traveling" area how did the conversation go? I am looking at doing this later this afternoon for our flights to paris from dublin with transavia (flight is tomorrow) and flight back from geneva with aer lingus (next Sunday).

Thank you in advance for any insight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Would you mind if I asked if you could give more detail on the conversation? Since your flights weren't to a "do not travel" or "avoid traveling" area how did the conversation go? I am looking at doing this later this afternoon for our flights to paris from dublin with transavia (flight is tomorrow) and flight back from geneva with aer lingus (next Sunday).

Thank you in advance for any insight :)

When I got through to BA's Call Centre, I explained that my flight to London was this evening and whether it was possible to refund the flight.

The lady said that the flight was still running because the British and Irish Authorities had not imposed restrictions, so they couldn't refund me in full. It was, unfortunately, my loss.

When I asked about amending/rescheduling the flight, she said that the cost of amendment was €80 per person.... plus the differential fare of the new flight.

As we are a family of five, the amendment fee was €400 minimum. I wasn't going to pay €400+..... so I asked the lady to refund the basic government and airport charges/taxes.

She ran through the computation on their booking system and, remarkably, said that the refund would be €180 out of €330. It was already a low-cost fare, so we are getting back 60% in five working days.

Harry Potter World also offered to honour our tickets at any date in the future - without any administration fees.

These companies have been very nice. I feel sorry for their Call Centres - they are getting hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

the canary islands seem to have very few cases and the ones that cropped up appear to have been brought in, surely the advise against spain would include them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    When I got through to BA's Call Centre, I explained that my flight to London was this evening and whether it was possible to refund the flight.

The lady said that the flight was still running because the British and Irish Authorities had not imposed restrictions, so they couldn't refund me in full. It was, unfortunately, my loss.

When I asked about amending/rescheduling the flight, she said that the cost of amendment was €80 per person.... plus the differential fare of the new flight.

As we are a family of five, the amendment fee was €400 minimum. I wasn't going to pay €400+..... so I asked the lady to refund the basic government and airport charges/taxes.

She ran through the computation on their booking system and, remarkably, said that the refund would be €180 out of €330. It was already a low-cost fare, so we are getting back 60% in five working days.

Harry Potter World also offered to honour our tickets at any date in the future - without any administration fees.

These companies have been very nice. I feel sorry for their Call Centres - they are getting hammered.

Thank you, great to know this. I will be trying this later if other avenues fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

seamie78 wrote: »
    the canary islands seem to have very few cases and the ones that cropped up appear to have been brought in, surely the advise against spain would include them

The virus has been circulating in the Canaries Islands for longer with the first case in La Gomera detected on 31 January - imported from Germany
    https://www.epochtimes.de/politik/deutschland/coronavirus-erreicht-la-gomera-deutscher-tourist-ist-erster-coronafall-in-spanien-a3142994.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

dunnerc wrote: »
    Don't go we are in albufeira till next Thursday , and it's looking like we will be locked in for weeks , place is like a ghost toem

I thought there were very few cases in the Algarve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Flight change fees seem to have been dropped by Ryanair for anyone that wants to change dates, I've just changed dates and destination for 4 people and cost €110 in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

Aer Lingus are allowing free changes now on existing bookings.

https://twitter.com/AerLingus/status/1238403123175141377

AdpRo wrote: »
    Flight change fees seem to have been dropped by Ryanair for anyone that wants to change dates, I've just changed dates and destination for 4 people and cost €110 in total.

I have a flight booked with them from BRU-DUB later this month and it looks like I just have to pay the fare difference now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Why couldn't they gave done that sooner ffs

At least I can reschedule my next flight with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭clones1980

Did you do this online or phone them. I am supposed to be taking two kids to Birmingham on the 4th April but think ill cancel. If I cant change does anyone know can you claim back the tax on the cost of the tickets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

VG31 wrote: »

A week too late for me. I got back 54 out of 500 last week

clonesbabe wrote: »
    If I cant change does anyone know can you claim back the tax on the cost of the tickets?

Yes but there's a €20 refund administration fee so that could likely be more than the taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

It is a necessary move. It certainly did not look good that they were guaranteeing waiver of change fees for any new bookings, but not on existing ones.

We are due to fly US-IRE the last weekend in May. At the moment we are waiting, in hopes that the increased action in Ireland will allow some normalcy to resume sooner rather than later, but it is reassuring to know that we would be able to make a change if needed. They still will only issue refunds if the flight is cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

clonesbabe wrote: »
    Did you do this online or phone them. I am supposed to be taking two kids to Birmingham on the 4th April but think ill cancel. If I cant change does anyone know can you claim back the tax on the cost of the tickets?

Online, not sure about the tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Good move by Aer Lingus, even if a little late

62 Countries so far restrict access to travellers coming from Spain:
    https://www.elmundo.es/internacional/2020/03/13/5e6ad0ff21efa0941a8b463b.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Good news. Still a bit of a gamble what date you rebook for, but I suppose it's no worse than the current situation for the US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Did they announce this officially like Aer Lingus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Did they announce this officially like Aer Lingus

Yes but only flights up until the 31st of March

• Advertisement

NewCorkLad wrote: »

OK, thanks. I had booked to fly tomorrow. I looked to push it out to Oct but can only get so far and it seems to hang. I'll keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 up-&-at-dem

OK, thanks. I had booked to fly tomorrow. I looked to push it out to Oct but can only get so far and it seems to hang. I'll keep trying.

Are you checked in already? If your checked in you have to call them to uncheck.

Id say the site is getting hammered at the moment, so keep trying. #

Im due to fly the 04th of April so will have to wait, hoping the DFA will upgrade to do not fly at this stage..

I did check in but it is not giving me any error. It will be a nightmare on their call lines.
    Thanks for the info.
    No email from Ryanair though

• Registered Users Posts: 27 up-&-at-dem

I did check in but it is not giving me any error. It will be a nightmare on their call lines.
    Thanks for the info.
    No email from Ryanair though

https://www.ryanair.com/sk/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Online-check-in-airport-bag-drop-desks/Can-I-change-a-booking-after-I-check-in-online

When trying to select the flights to change it doesn't allow you to continue.

Its a nightmare calling though. The calls keep dropping after being on hold for 20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

NewCorkLad wrote: »

Our flight out is before that and our flight back is after that. Booked a return trip obviously though. Wonder if they'll waive the rebooking fee for both flights?

Does anyone know how far out you can push the bookings? If we do change the dates, it might not be until the end of the year or ideally this time next year. Still considering just cancelling altogether instead of changing the dates :/

I'm surprised Ryanair are actually doing something to benefit the customer for once though. Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

How long will Ryanair allow this I wonder?

My flights to Spain are for the 5th of April.
    I would rather wait it out a while and see if the flights get cancelled.

There is no guarantee that things will get any better later in the year either, things could be far worse in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

woodchuck wrote:
    I'm surprised Ryanair are actually doing something to benefit the customer for once though. Fair play!

The sceptic in me thinks that they know they might have to cancel many flights in the coming weeks, better people change dates now than them having to issue refunds.

woodchuck wrote: »
    . Still considering just cancelling altogether instead of changing the dates :/

I would say they are doing this in case "do not fly" restrictions start coming in to avoid cancellations and guarantee future bookings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lettuce97

If gatherings of > 100 indoors are not allowed, how are flights still ok?

Are travellers being checked and quarantined if necessary on arrival in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

The sceptic in me thinks that they know they might have to cancel many flights in the coming weeks, better people change dates now than them having to issue refunds.

Good point actually. Our flight isn't for a couple of weeks, so we can always hold tight for now and see if it gets cancelled. I'd much prefer a refund tbh. Getting married later this year and wasn't intending this to be our honeymoon destination :P And only have so much annual leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭wijam

Trying to get through to RyanAir the last few hours to un-check-in my flight for tomorrow and next week, their number is now no longer accepting calls, on to their chat the last hour and no response

Keep the fingers crossed that I can get them unchecked these evening and rescheduled but doubtful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

wijam wrote: »
    Trying to get through to RyanAir the last few hours to un-check-in my flight for tomorrow and next week, their number is now no longer accepting calls, on to their chat the last hour and no response

Keep the fingers crossed that I can get them unchecked these evening and rescheduled but doubtful

I wonder if we are unable to get through, will we have a case to retrospectively get the bookings moved?

I cannot get through to booking.com either. trying to contact the accommodation directly and they are not exactly playing ball.

Was meant to be travelling tomorrow so only have a small window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Just my fecking luck.....after I chose not to take my flight to Berlin this afternoon I just receive an email from Ryanair now that I can change my flights for free, but I can't as my flight already left over three hours ago so it's tough luck.

• Advertisement

That answers that question so

Denmark just announced that they are closing their borders tomorrow.

Sorry to be very narrow-minded, but I assume that that means by flights & accommodation that are for tomorrow onwards would be refunded / allowed to be changed for a future date, irrespective of when I do it?

FitzShane wrote: »
    Has anyone been on a Ryanair flight recently? Are they disinfecting surfaces before / after each flight or just leaving it to chance?

Obviously I will be bringing my own wipes to do it anyways, but would be nice to know that they are trying to help some bit. But it is Ryanair....

they "have enhanced overnight cleaning with every aircraft interior being treated with hospital-grade disinfectant."
    "fleet is fitted with extremely efficient HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Arrestors) filters, which remove particles in the air, down to the size of microscopic bacteria and virus clusters (with an efficiency of better than 99.99%)."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

FitzShane wrote:
    Sorry to be very narrow-minded, but I assume that that means by flights & accommodation that are for tomorrow onwards would be refunded / allowed to be changed for a future date, irrespective of when I do it?

I'd email the hotel asking for a refund, and try airline too. I'd imagine most hotels at least, especially independent ones, are refunding as you'll come back to them then.

If you don't yet have travel insurance, get one until it is still possible.

From the Guardian

"Many of Britain’s biggest insurers are pulling down the shutters to new travel insurance customers, with Aviva, Direct Line and Churchill the latest to stop selling policies as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.

Responding to the moves, the consumer body Which? said the government, insurers and the travel sector needed to “urgently” work together to tackle the challenge because “the industry depends on people having the confidence to travel knowing they will be covered”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/13/coronavirus-live-updates-uk-us-australia-italy-europe-school-shutdown-share-markets-sport-events-cancelled-latest-update-news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

otnomart wrote: »
    If you don't yet have travel insurance, get one until it is still possible.

From the Guardian

"Many of Britain’s biggest insurers are pulling down the shutters to new travel insurance customers, with Aviva, Direct Line and Churchill the latest to stop selling policies as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.

Responding to the moves, the consumer body Which? said the government, insurers and the travel sector needed to “urgently” work together to tackle the challenge because “the industry depends on people having the confidence to travel knowing they will be covered”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/13/coronavirus-live-updates-uk-us-australia-italy-europe-school-shutdown-share-markets-sport-events-cancelled-latest-update-news

Getting insurance now isn't going to cover you for anything related to Covid 19. If you don't already have insurance that ship has sailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just cancelled accommodation on Booking.com.
    Very simple and straightforward process.
    Once you are within the cancellation date for your booking it's 100% refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Tippgirl74

Getting insurance now isn't going to cover you for anything related to Covid 19. If you don't already have insurance that ship has sailed.

I thought we were insured as have had annual multitrip gold with insureandgo for the past 5 years. With a trip to Tenerife later this month and Málaga in May, I rang today to see how we could claim, only to be told (very unempathically) that we were not covered as 'government directives' was listed under the exclusions on page 10!! Bitterly disappointed!! Time to change insurer!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

elperello wrote: »
    Just cancelled accommodation on Booking.com.
    Very simple and straightforward process.
    Once you are within the cancellation date for your booking it's 100% refund.

Provided you selected a refundable booking, obviously...

nibtrix wrote: »
    Provided you selected a refundable booking, obviously...

Yes, I should have added that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yes, I should have added that.

Send a message to Booking.com customer service and ask for a refund, they may help you, worth a try at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

lettuce97 wrote: »
    If gatherings of > 100 indoors are not allowed, how are flights still ok?

Because airside of an airport (after you pass security) is deemed international territory (hence duty free etc) so national rules about no gatherings over 100 people don't apply just as national rules about no serving alcohol before Xam or Ypm etc don't apply.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Send a message to Booking.com customer service and ask for a refund, they may help you, worth a try at least.

Thanks but my second last post was pointing out how good the refund service is on Booking.com.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Tippgirl74 wrote: »
    I thought we were insured as have had annual multitrip gold with insureandgo for the past 5 years. With a trip to Tenerife later this month and Málaga in May, I rang today to see how we could claim, only to be told (very unempathically) that we were not covered as 'government directives' was listed under the exclusions on page 10!! Bitterly disappointed!! Time to change insurer!!

You'll probably find all insures will have similar clauses for government directives and pandemics

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Tippgirl74

Thanks but my second last post was pointing out how good the refund service is on Booking.com.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm sorted.

Yes depends on what kind of rate you book. I had non refundable rate booked on ebookers and can't contact them. Phone call keeps cutting out while holding. Not too optimistic about any refund there! Málaga hotel booked for May on loveholidays.ie is refundable minus 30euro admin fee! Hoping flights will be cancelled...so might have some chance of refund. Don't really have any appetite to reschedule at this stage!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement