Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoronaVirus

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

acequion wrote: »
    My hotel in the Algarve inPortugal offered refund or credit. So far I'm opting for the credit as it's a lovely hotel that I would love to stay in at some future point. The credit is valid until the end of 2021 and it's a well established hotel that you'd imagine unlikely to go bust.

But should I opt for the refund? What would people do?

There are a few hotels that I stay in regularly so I know I'll be going back. I'd be happy to take credit from them. If you know you're going back I'd take the credit. You're also helping them to get through this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What are Ryanair offering for cancelled flights? Refund or voucher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭acequion

There are a few hotels that I stay in regularly so I know I'll be going back. I'd be happy to take credit from them. If you know you're going back I'd take the credit. You're also helping them to get through this.

That's exactly what I think killbillvol2 and a little bit of optimism is nice.:) In fact I was quite happy with my decision but the pessimism on the Trip Advisor Algarve forum really dismayed me. Posters claiming this was the end for the tourist industry, hell even life as we know it and all that stuff :( While I know these are dreadful times and I'm not for one minute making light of anything, I prefer the glass half full approach and for my own sanity, need to look forward to a better time when we can do nice things again. I'll keep the credit.:)

Gael23 wrote: »
    What are Ryanair offering for cancelled flights? Refund or voucher?

Refund. But also the option to reschedule. My flight was to be on 6th April, I took the refund option and got an email saying that there's a backlog at the moment. Presume I'll get my money back eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Dovies wrote: »
    Folks anyone know how far Ryanair are up to with sending refund emails - we have flights booked for 25th April and nothing from them yet.

I have two flights on April 21st cancelled, but flights on 24th and 25th not cancelled yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭paddy19

You are giving the hotel an interest free loan that dies on Dec. 2021.

That's pretty nice terms for the hotel. An Irish debt is valid for 7 years.

Dec 2021 is not that far away!

If they offered me 5 years, as required under Irish consumer law I might consider it, but no way Dec 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭paddy19

Unfortunately those two things are connected. Some airlines will go under if they're forced to issue cash refunds.

I'm not getting into a debate on the rights and wrongs of it, anyone can quote regulations, but these are not normal circumstances.

It's not up to passengers to fund airlines that's what shareholders, banks and hedge funds are for.
    When these investors give airlines money they get a return in dividends and interest.

So passengers who accept vouchers are investing in the airline with no prospect of an upside.
    Instead passengers get a whole series of terms and conditions.

In fairness Aer Lingus and a few others are offering a 10% bonus, but the T&C's are very limiting.
    You can't change passengers is the major pain.

paddy19 wrote: »
    You are giving the hotel an interest free loan that dies on Dec. 2021.

That's pretty nice terms for the hotel. An Irish debt is valid for 7 years.

Dec 2021 is not that far away!

If they offered me 5 years, as required under Irish consumer law I might consider it, but no way Dec 2021.

It's me that asked that question! I'm delighted that I made the decision to opt for credit rather than refund. And I basically don't care if I'm offering them an interest free loan!! That credit for me symbolises a light in this horrible dark period. A light that good times will return and that we will once again have the opportunity to treat ourselves to nice things like holidays.

Worth every penny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I have two flights on April 21st cancelled, but flights on 24th and 25th not cancelled yet.

Got our cancellation email yesterday for 25th April flight :)
    Would rather be going but hey ho

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mikiezzz

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    was considering a trip this summer ?
    According to an article I read today, according to the latest discovery of a Iceland researcher, 2 types of virus were found to be carried by one person, one of which is a mutant. And subsequent people who have been infected by this person turn out to be carrying the mutant virus.

That means even if vaccine can be developed, it won't be effective for treating the mutant virus.

If that is the case, the future development of this pandemic is still not clear. Nobody is sure whether it will come to an end quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

mikiezzz wrote: »
    According to an article I read today, according to the latest discovery of a Iceland researcher, 2 types of virus were found to be carried by one person, one of which is a mutant. And subsequent people who have been infected by this person turn out to be carrying the mutant virus.

That means even if vaccine can be developed, it won't be effective for treating the mutant virus.

If that is the case, the future development of this pandemic is still not clear. Nobody is sure whether it will come to an end quickly.

Can you provide a link to said article? Otherwise this is just scaremongering.

Sorry. I am a new user and am not entitled to post any link yet.

There are many reports on this. If you put this keyword "iceland scientist virus mutations"
    in google, you can find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

There are many reports on this. If you put this keyword "iceland scientist virus mutations"

Maybe I can post part of the link without the prefix:

nypost.com/2020/03/24/iceland-scientists-found-40-mutations-of-the-coronavirus-report-says/

If I needed information on the size of Kim Kardashian's bra I might look in the New York Post.

I'd take anything scientific with a large grain of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Maybe I can post part of the link without the prefix:

nypost.com/2020/03/24/iceland-scientists-found-40-mutations-of-the-coronavirus-report-says/

Ok, this is not really new data as it's already been reported multiple times that there are different strains of the virus which can be traced back to different points of origin - even in Ireland https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/genetics-shed-light-on-origins-of-irish-strains-of-covid-19-1.4221383

Your interpretation of the article comes across as suggestion this is bad news, whereas the article itself explicitly says
    "it’s likely that the new virus will become more contagious, but the variants that cause severe symptoms may die out".

It's the same thing that happens with the flu, it constantly evolves into new strains in order to replicate and, most importantly for the virus, to survive. If the virus kills a high percentage of people then it can't survive to be passed to another host.

Calling it a "mutant virus" really makes it seem like you're just trying to stir people up and provoke a reaction. They certainly didn't use that term in the article, or in the source article at https://www.information.dk/indland/2020/03/forskere-sporet-40-mutationer-coronavirus-alene-paa-island

nibtrix wrote: »
    Ok, this is not really new data as it's already been reported multiple times that there are different strains of the virus which can be traced back to different points of origin - even in Ireland

Your interpretation of the article comes across as suggestion this is bad news, whereas the article itself explicitly says
    "it’s likely that the new virus will become more contagious, but the variants that cause severe symptoms may die out".

It's the same thing that happens with the flu, it constantly evolves into new strains in order to replicate and, most importantly for the virus, to survive. If the virus kills a high percentage of people then it can't survive to be passed to another host.

Calling it a "mutant virus" really makes it seem like you're just trying to stir people up and provoke a reaction. They certainly didn't use that term in the article, or in the source article at

Sorry. What I read was an article quoting the finding of the Iceland scientist. I thought the above link was talking about it, but it turned out to be not the original article. Thanks for pointing it out. Now I have dig it out the original article:
    grapevine.is/news/2020/03/24/patient-infected-with-two-strains-of-covid-19-in-iceland/

The original article reads:
    "It’s been confirmed that an individual who tested positive for COVID-19 in Iceland has been infected by two strains of the virus simultaneously. The second strain is a mutation of the original novel coronavirus. It is thought that this could be the first recorded dual infection case of this kind.

"Speaking to RÚV news yesterday, deCODE CEO, Kári Stefánsson confirmed the unusual infection. It is thought the mutated second strain could be more malicious or infectious because people infected by the dual-strain patient were only found to have the second strain. If this is the case, the virus could be mutating to become more infectious over time. However, Kári was unable to confirm this and suggested it could be a coincidence."

I have flights booked to Tenerife the start of June with Ryanair, what would ye think of the chance these would go ahead? What is Ryanair’s policy for refunds etc?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I got an email from them at 4pm today saying "Please rest assured your refund request is currently in the queue and will be processed."

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I got an email from them at 4pm today saying "Please rest assured your refund request is currently in the queue and will be processed."

I got a similar email yesterday about 2 flights I applied for refunds for. I have 3 further flights I waiting on to be cancelled. Was hoping to get my money back on all my flights. Vouchers don't particularly suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

I got a similar email yesterday about 2 flights I applied for refunds for. I have 3 further flights I waiting on to be cancelled. Was hoping to get my money back on all my flights. Vouchers don't particularly suit me.

They are obliged to refund you if they canx your flight. Obviously their preference would be for people to take vouchers for use at a later date to help their cash flow situation but if you are willing to wait you will get a refund....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Contacted BOI today to see if they received my Chargeback application form from two weeks ago. They couldn't confirm it as they're up the walls but will notify me shortly.

I'd say thousands are looking to pull a refund from travel operators this way. Will be interesting what final figures are.

Is anyone else waiting for confirmation?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gruser

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Each differ,

VHI covers either no essential travel or do not travel.

A lot only cover do not travel - check your policy.

I'm currently in a dispute with VHI over a trip to Lombardy, they are declining on the basis of me cancelling after the "non essential travel" dfa directive and before the "do not travel" directive.

On the subject of the Ryanair refunds for cancelled flights I requested a refund for my cancelled flight of 6th April. I got a mail weeks ago thanking me for my patience and assuring me that I was in the queue for refund.Fine. Now I've just spotted that I got a mail almost a week ago about a voucher valid for a year which I did not ask for. It says "click here" if you still want a refund, but it just takes you to a page all about vouchers. At the bottom there's a small piece basically saying that if you still want your money back you'll be in a queue until after the emergency has passed. A completely different story to when the flight was first cancelled.

I'm really furious over this messing. Surely that's not legal? I was happy enough to wait a while for my money but now it looks like I have to chase it! Can anyone advise please? I see people talking about chargeback on the credit card. Do I go that route? Or my insurance? Unfortunately I have more flights booked with Ryanair for June and I would imagine I'm hardly the only one who just wants their money back. Impossible to make future holiday plans at the moment.

A headache I really don't need right now. Thanks to anyone who can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Check out the millions of refund threads on this forum. All the info you need is there

Caranica wrote: »
    Check out the millions of refund threads on this forum. All the info you need is there

Thanks Caranica, found it. Thank heaven for all the help here on boards.ie :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement