Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoronaVirus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Have flights and accommodation booked for July to hike part of the Vie Francegina. Flying into Geneva, flying home from Milan, hiking a lot of the interim distance. AirBNB bookings mostly so only partially refundable at best. Vaguely concerned for obvious reasons.

Also have flights booked to NYC in June, Hamburg in August and Dominican Republic in October. Could be a very expensive bundle of cancellations for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Have flights and accommodation booked for July to hike part of the Vie Francegina. Flying into Geneva, flying home from Milan, hiking a lot of the interim distance. AirBNB bookings mostly so only partially refundable at best. Vaguely concerned for obvious reasons.

Also have flights booked to NYC in June, Hamburg in August and Dominican Republic in October. Could be a very expensive bundle of cancellations for me.

Do you have Travel Insurance ?

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Do you have Travel Insurance ?

Yes, won't be TOO bad but there'll undoubtedly be some small print stuff that doesn't cover something or other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ryanair curtailing flights:
    Ryanair

Ryanair has been forced to cancel up to 25% of all Italian short haul flights for a three week period from the 17th March to 8th April, in response to the Covid19 virus. All impacted customers are being notified by email and SMS and given the option to request a refund, rebook or re-route their journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ryanair curtailing flights:

I'm due to fly direct Dublin to Treviso and haven't heard from them so presume it's among the 75% still going ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

I’m hoping to go to New York in October, checking out flights at the moment.
    Is it risky to book flights? Currently have no travel insurance, do I need to purchase it before I book my flights? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

October?!

If there's still a coronavirus pandemic in October, it's not holidays you need to be worried about, it's a complete breakdown in society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

phobia2011 wrote: »
    I’m hoping to go to New York in October, checking out flights at the moment.
    Is it risky to book flights? Currently have no travel insurance, do I need to purchase it before I book my flights? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.

I think that if you are planning on traveling anywhere in 2020 then now is a good time to buy travel insurance. The risk of disruption is higher than normal.
    In addition I can only see the price on travel insurance going in one direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

October?!

If there's still a coronavirus pandemic in October, it's not holidays you need to be worried about, it's a complete breakdown in society.

Can I get insurance for that kind of breakdown 😳

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

I'm going in 2 weeks and I'm not even the slightest bit worried

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    I'm due to fly direct Dublin to Treviso and haven't heard from them so presume it's among the 75% still going ahead.

What they may do is reduce the frequency of flights and stop any additional seats being booked online... Seems to be 4 per week, so not sure if they had 7 per week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Has anyone successfully cancelled and had a trip refunded due to a medical reason? I have a child with asthma and we're due to go to London but the thoughts of the tube and overcrowded museums terrifies me. If the Respiratory consultant provides him with a letter not to travel, does anyone actually accept that? We have travel insurance too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am meant to be flying into Verona mid April staying in lake Garda...I am really not keen given the number in Italy...but husband pretty insistent we are going if the flights aren't cancelled...

yellow hen wrote: »
    Has anyone successfully cancelled and had a trip refunded due to a medical reason? I have a child with asthma and we're due to go to London but the thoughts of the tube and overcrowded museums terrifies me. If the Respiratory consultant provides him with a letter not to travel, does anyone actually accept that? We have travel insurance too.
    Ok silly question why did you book London in that case? The tube is always overcrowded as are the mueseums.
    I doubt travel insurance will pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

gmisk wrote: »
    I am meant to be flying into Verona mid April staying in lake Garda...I am really not keen given the number in Italy...but husband pretty insistent we are going if the flights aren't cancelled...

Go enjoy yourself and stop worrying about a bloody flu

i've bad asthma and been on the tube hundreds of times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

It's pretty standard that insurance policies don't cover pre-existing conditions. As someone else said, why did you book the trip if it's an issue for your son? That's what the insurance company will ask.

@gmisk and @killbillvol2 Seeing as you are both very curious as to why we booked a family break, I'll tell you. we booked it before there was any incidence of coronavirus. In general, asthma would not prevent him travelling anywhere. At this moment in time, the prevalence of germs in crowded areas coupled with his increased vulnerabilty is why we no longer wish to travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

@gmisk and @killbillvol2 Seeing as you are both very curious as to why we booked a family break, I'll tell you. we booked it before there was any incidence of coronavirus. In general, asthma would not prevent him travelling anywhere. At this moment in time, the prevalence of germs in crowded areas coupled with his increased vulnerabilty is why we no longer wish to travel.

I have no interest in why you booked a holiday. I told you why a claim is very unlikely to be successful.

• Advertisement

I have no interest in why you booked a holiday. I told you why a claim is very unlikely to be successful.

With respect, why did you ask then? By the way, I do appreciate your other response but I don't like being questioned as to why I booked a holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yellow Hen, I think in your case Id just wait and see. Cancel what you can. Make a decision closer to the time. And if you cant get refunds I'd just try and absorb it. Its unfortunate but best to be cautious. I think travel insurance will only pay out if there is an official travel advisory (not beyond realms of possibility - but unlikely).

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

With respect, why did you ask then? By the way, I do appreciate your other response but I don't like being questioned as to why I booked a holiday.

You'll need to check fine print of actual policy. I know ours has a list of exemptions and one was in the case of epidemic or pandemic..
    We have 2 weeks to decide , Barcelona booked for June, can forego the flights but need to decide re accommodation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Spain now under the spotlight:
    Spanish victim died on the 13 February, that was well before than:
    First French case - showing symptoms from 13 February, and diagnosed on 25 February
    First Italian case - diagnosed on 20 February
    (On 19 February, Valencia fans travelled to Bergamo for match with Atalanta)

DFA now advising against all non-essential travel to Northern Italy and raised the caution level.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/italy/

DFA now advising against all non-essential travel to Northern Italy and raised the caution level.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/italy/
    Ok so I am flying to Verona and staying in lake Garda in April.
    Will aerlingus give me a refund now?
    Will be calling hotel as well paid upfront....so I am guessing I can claim on insurance if they won't refund?

• Advertisement

Will be calling hotel as well paid upfront....so I am guessing I can claim on insurance if they won't refund?

I see that U.S Airlines are going to waive flight change or cancellation fees to Coronavirus regions such as Asia..

No indication that the European airlines will do the same... Yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Aer Lingus have been offering flight changes for a certain period afaik.

I'm due to go to Veneto region in 2.5 weeks. Flights, hotel and parking prepaid. Will start fight with travel insurance (AIB) tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You'll get back taxes .
    I was looking at rescheduling but it worked out dearer than just cancelling and and rebooking at a later date

You'll get back taxes .
    I was looking at rescheduling but it worked out dearer than just cancelling and and rebooking at a later date
    Does the non essential travel thing from DFA not make a difference RE flight?

I'm due to go to Veneto region in 2.5 weeks. Flights, hotel and parking prepaid. Will start fight with travel insurance (AIB) tomorrow
    Let me know how you get on I am in very similar boat will be arguing with Allianz myself!

• Advertisement

Does the non essential travel thing from DFA not make a difference RE flight?

It's when they change "Avoid non-essential" travel to "Do not travel" is what would make the difference... so far is still on yellow..

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

It's when they change "Avoid non-essential" travel to "Do not travel" is what would make the difference... so far is still on yellow..

Our holiday company will only refund if it's a 'do not travel' advice..would imagine most would be the same. Aer lingus allowing you to change flights to other areas free of charge...they will all do their level best not to refund if they can avoid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If anyone tries claim under the MultipTrip.com optional extra for Travel Disruption, please let us know how you get on.

If you have travel disruption cover as an extra on your travel insurance policy you can claim under these conditions e.g. for MultiTrip.com
    Covers cancellation or curtailment charges should the Foreign & Commonwealth Office or World Health Organisation advise against travel to the country or specific area you are travelling to.

https://www.multitrip.com/ie/what-to...led-or-delayed

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Our holiday company will only refund if it's a 'do not travel' advice..would imagine most would be the same. Aer lingus allowing you to change flights to other areas free of charge...they will all do their level best not to refund if they can avoid

AA travel insurance seem to accept a "non-essential" travel warning from the DFA as grounds for a claim.
    See here: https://www.theaa.ie/blog/aa-travel-insurance-coronavirus-faq/

It is a little ambiguous but the section titled "An alert advising against travel to my destination has been issued. Can I make a travel insurance claim?" seems pretty clear.

I am going to lose 240 for flights and 2.5k for hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Ludo wrote: »
    AA travel insurance seem to accept a "non-essential" travel warning from the DFA as grounds for a claim.
    See here: https://www.theaa.ie/blog/aa-travel-insurance-coronavirus-faq/

It is a little ambiguous but the section titled "An alert advising against travel to my destination has been issued. Can I make a travel insurance claim?" seems pretty clear.
    in the terms and conditions (which are what counts, the FAQ is just there as a user friendly help to navigate the actual terms) theres no direct mention of cancellation due to a government warning

In the exclusions applicable to the whole policy, they " will not pay for claims arising directly or indirectly from:"
    Your travel to a country or specific area or event to which a government agency in the Republic of Ireland, the travel advice unit of the department of Foreign Affairs* or the World Health Organisation (WHO) or similar body has advised against all or all but essential travel. *
    in the trip cancellation section, one exclusion is "Any claim resulting from the delay or amendment of your booked trip because of Government action or restrictive regulations."
    https://www.theaa.ie/~/media/Files/AA-Ireland/Travel/AATravel-Val-PolicyBooklet-May18-v03-WEB.ashx?la=en

which contradicts what the FAQ says unless I am reading it wrong - or at least gives Axa insurance plenty of reasons to refuse a claim if they are minded to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I’m flying to the US this morning and I have never seen the airport as empty. Straight through security, no queues. No more than 20 people at preclearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

emeldc wrote: »
    I’m flying to the US this morning and I have never seen the airport as empty. Straight through security, no queues. No more than 20 people at preclearance.

Due to fly to NY next week with my husband and two teenagers. I'm torn. Seems by your observation a lot of people are deciding not to go to the US. It's a hard call to make. Even if we go I don't want us to remember the holiday for all the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Due to fly to NY next week with my husband and two teenagers. I'm torn. Seems by your observation a lot of people are deciding not to go to the US. It's a hard call to make. Even if we go I don't want us to remember the holiday for all the wrong reasons.
    These flights are usually fairly full, I’ll post back when I see if there are many empty seats. As far as I know there is only one case of the virus in Manhattan and she is in quarantine.

i'm flying over on the 14th (via Philadelphia and train up) and not in the slightest bit worried,

honesltly youll be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

We're due to fly to Orlando the first two weeks in August, I think by then things will either be a lot worse or alot better so might be easier to make any decisions.

I would have no issue flying to most places atm.
    But I can't really risk flying to northern Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

in the terms and conditions (which are what counts, the FAQ is just there as a user friendly help to navigate the actual terms) theres no direct mention of cancellation due to a government warning

In the exclusions applicable to the whole policy, they " will not pay for claims arising directly or indirectly from:"

in the trip cancellation section, one exclusion is "Any claim resulting from the delay or amendment of your booked trip because of Government action or restrictive regulations."
    https://www.theaa.ie/~/media/Files/AA-Ireland/Travel/AATravel-Val-PolicyBooklet-May18-v03-WEB.ashx?la=en

which contradicts what the FAQ says unless I am reading it wrong - or at least gives Axa insurance plenty of reasons to refuse a claim if they are minded to.

I think that usually relates to immigration regulations e.g. if the US won't let you specifically in. Rather than government advising people in general not to travel.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Friend just came back from the U.S this morning, New York.. Aircraft was pretty much full, the odd few people wearing surgical masks, everything fairly normal.

If I had flights booked and paid for to the U.S i'd still be going and not loose the money.

I have personally cancelled flights in and out of Malpensa and Bergamo this month, I won't get a refund apart from the taxes..

Did you have any luck?
    I had zero with aerlingus direct or with Allianz!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

I was flying out to venice at the end of this month, flying back through Verona. Aer lingus have email to say the flights have been cancelled and my account has been refunded.

The hotels in the area i staying in, booked through Expedia ,are refusing to refund the payment, but is offering dates to be used by the end of the year. This is unacceptable to me as I can't get the time off later in the year. Expedia who I booked through, say there policy is to except the hotels policy on the matter.

I have Blue insurance, I will see if they will cover the hotel costs.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

NORTH1 wrote: »
    I was flying out to venice at the end of this month, flying back through Verona. Aer lingus have email to say the flights have been cancelled and my account has been refunded.

The hotels in the area i staying in, booked through Expedia ,are refusing to refund the payment, but is offering dates to be used by the end of the year. This is unacceptable to me as I can't get the time off later in the year. Expedia who I booked through, say there policy is to except the hotels policy on the matter.

I have Blue insurance, I will see if they will cover the hotel costs.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

I am due to travel mid April to Venice also, do you mind me asking did you request the cancellation 1st or have they cancelled the flight you were booked on?
    I am just starting to look into options myself....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

testtech05 wrote: »
    I am due to travel mid April to Venice also, do you mind me asking did you request the cancellation 1st or have they cancelled the flight you were booked on?
    I am just starting to look into options myself....

Aer lingus emailed to say the flights have been cancelled. I followed up with a call and they refunded the flights.

I also was waiting to see which route this issue was going to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Was meant to be going to Seattle over Easter, its somewhat in doubt now...

• Advertisement

Due to travel to Geneva in July, hiking over the pass and then home from Milan about 10 days later, getting a bit worried at this stage. Mostly AirBNBs booked along the route so very likely we'll be out of pocket by a fair bit with those.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement