Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoronaVirus

Comments

Professor of Immunology at TCD calling for stricter travel protocol re Northern Italy. I see theres 2/3 flights a day to/from Milan. Isn’t it time that suspension of these services is considered? Its like holding up a welcome sign to the virus otherwise. Probably too late at this stage though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Professor of Immunology at TCD calling for stricter travel protocol re Northern Italy. I see theres 2/3 flights a day to/from Milan. Isn’t it time that suspension of these services is considered? Its like holding up a welcome sign to the virus otherwise. Probably too late at this stage though.

It's not just Milan, it's Venice and Treviso too. Ryanair have just told me my flight is going ahead and there is no refund option. Waiting for my travel insurance to get back to me but I suspect that's a no too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

NORTH1 wrote: »
    I was flying out to venice at the end of this month, flying back through Verona. Aer lingus have email to say the flights have been cancelled and my account has been refunded.

The hotels in the area i staying in, booked through Expedia ,are refusing to refund the payment, but is offering dates to be used by the end of the year. This is unacceptable to me as I can't get the time off later in the year. Expedia who I booked through, say there policy is to except the hotels policy on the matter.

I have Blue insurance, I will see if they will cover the hotel costs.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
    I am in similar boat tbh
    Allianz will not cover hotel.

I'd say aerlingus will cancel my flights nearer time (they won't give me a refund currently)....hotel won't budge will only let me move booking to end off Nov...when things probably be worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

gmisk wrote: »
    I am in similar boat tbh

I'd say aerlingus will cancel my flights nearer time (they won't give me a refund currently)....hotel won't budge will only let me move booking to end off Nov...when things probably be worse!

or everything will be back to normal, its nearly 9 months away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Was meant to be going to Seattle over Easter, its somewhat in doubt now...

Why's that? Flights are still running to Seattle now...

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    It's not just Milan, it's Venice and Treviso too. Ryanair have just told me my flight is going ahead and there is no refund option. Waiting for my travel insurance to get back to me but I suspect that's a no too.

What if they upgrade the alert to a more mandatory sounding ‘do not go’ status before you go? Does your insurance provider provide any clarity at all on what alert status may trigger a compensation payout?

or everything will be back to normal, its nearly 9 months away
    True but given the madness in Italy I am not too hopeful, plus hard to pick a date out of thin air at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I am in similar boat tbh

But they will be worse EVERYWHERE including here...so you may as well go to Italy and enjoy a holiday.

Ludo wrote: »
    But they will be worse EVERYWHERE including here...so you may as well go to Italy and enjoy a holiday.
    I have a dog (who will be with a minder), plus had pneumonia before so rather be locked down in my own home if it comes to that.

so you may as well go to Italy and enjoy a holiday.

As I've said in previous posts, i'd be less worried about getting there and where to stay, rather that when you're on hols looking for something to do that bars, restaurants and other public attractions would be closed and public transport curtailed also..

Italy is the epicenter of the virus in Europe, and I would hope that no other country will have to experience the virus to that level and we start to see a reduction in new cases..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Have Aer Lingus cancelled all Flights to Northern Italy from Ireland ?

Travel Insurance confirmed this am that if DFA Travel Advisory is the same as now or higher (worse) 14 days before we are due to travel to Italy, then they will cover our Flights and Accommodation.

Too far away (June) for Aer Lingus or Eurocamp to offer anything yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    As I've said in previous posts, i'd be less worried about getting there and where to stay, rather that when you're on hols looking for something to do that bars, restaurants and other public attractions would be closed and public transport curtailed also..

Italy is the epicenter of the virus in Europe, and I would hope that no other country will have to experience the virus to that level and we start to see a reduction in new cases..

Or worse - needing to be hospitalised or quarantined in a country that isn't you own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭testtech05

SusanC10 wrote: »

Travel Insurance confirmed this am that if DFA Travel Advisory is the same as now or higher (worse) 14 days before we are due to travel to Italy, then they will cover our Flights and Accommodation.

Here's what they told me earlier:

Hi, we continue to closely follow developments on the Coronavirus outbreak and will provide further updates on our website if there is any significant change to the situation.
    At this time, we have cancelled service to:
    Milan/Linate (LIN) - 05MAR to 31MAR except 08/09/10MAR
    Milan/Malpensa (MXP) - 06MAR to 31MAR except 08/09MAR
    Verona (VRN) - 14MAR to 31MAR
    Venice (VCE) - 06MAR to 31MAR
    Mayumi profile
    We are not offering refunds nor waiving change fees for flights not listed above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I am going to lose 240 for flights and 2.5k for hotel.

Holy smokes Batman! 2.5k is a lot money to be going down the sh!ter but I’m not sure what you can do. Hotels are going to lose out big over this so they’ll be avoiding as many refunds as possible. If you took out a travel insurance policy before you booked the hotel you can try claiming but if that’s not an option I’d say you just have to swallow it.

testtech05 wrote: »
    Here's what they told me earlier:

Hi, we continue to closely follow developments on the Coronavirus outbreak and will provide further updates on our website if there is any significant change to the situation.
    At this time, we have cancelled service to:
    Milan/Linate (LIN) - 05MAR to 31MAR except 08/09/10MAR
    Milan/Malpensa (MXP) - 06MAR to 31MAR except 08/09MAR
    Verona (VRN) - 14MAR to 31MAR
    Venice (VCE) - 06MAR to 31MAR
    Mayumi profile
    We are not offering refunds nor waiving change fees for flights not listed above.
    From talking to them online as well chances are the flights in April will be cancelled to those places too in April and you will be offered a refund or to change your dates

MadYaker wrote: »
    Holy smokes Batman! 2.5k is a lot money to be going down the sh!ter but I’m not sure what you can do. Hotels are going to lose out big over this so they’ll be avoiding as many refunds as possible. If you took out a travel insurance policy before you booked the hotel you can try claiming but if that’s not an option I’d say you just have to swallow it.
    I have travel insurance with Allianz but they aren't covering it....which is hugely helpful...
    So went back to hotel to see if they will consider extending time period when we could visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

I have travel insurance with Allianz but they aren't covering it....which is hugely helpful...
    So went back to hotel to see if they will consider extending time period when we could visit.

I'm in the same boat with the hotels. They are not offering refunds on the hotel stay, but they are offering dates later in the year.

I'm in the same boat with the hotels. They are not offering refunds on the hotel stay, but they are offering dates later in the year.
    At least I am not alone in it.
    I am gonna try and convince them to move to next year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

SusanC10 wrote: »

Can I enquire which insurer that was please?
    Hope that's not a personal question :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

I'm suppose to go to Amsterdam this weekend husband wants to go I'm not too sure. I keep saying see what happens tomorrow.
    Would you travel this weekend?

• Advertisement

I rang hotel directly they were really nice and hugely understanding.
    No refund.
    But!...They have given me til the end of 2021 to visit! So happy with that no rush to rebook etc.
    Good luck with yours.
    Just need to try for flights now (good chance aerlingus will cancel) but I'd happily lose the money nearly at this stage

channaigh wrote: »
    I'm suppose to go to Amsterdam this weekend husband wants to go I'm not too sure. I keep saying see what happens tomorrow.
    I personally would (number of cases fairly small) take usual precautions, but make sure you have your EHIC and travel insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

I personally would (number of cases fairly small) take usual precautions, but make sure you have your EHIC and travel insurance.

Thanks for that have travel insurance but think my ehic card is out of date
    Might try hotel and see if they will let us rebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I have a aerlingus flight to JFK and then i go on to CT in late April.

Any thoughts on the risk factor? Dublin airport and JFK could be risky with all the people in one place?

Are you over 60?
    Any underlying health issues?
    Are you immunosuppressed?

If no to the above then go, take normal precautions, wash hands, use antibacterial gel, stay away from people coughing/sneezing and don't touch your face after being on public transport...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

No refund.
    But!...They have given me til the end of 2021 to visit! So happy with that no rush to rebook etc.
    Good luck with yours.
    Just need to try for flights now (good chance aerlingus will cancel) but I'd happily lose the money nearly at this stage

I think you're jumping the gun with the flights. Aer Lingus will almost certainly cancel flights in April if the situation doesn't change. They just don't want to say it yet. I'd say bide your time and you'll get refunds when they cancel the flights.

Very decent of the hotel btw.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the risk factor? Dublin airport and JFK could be risky with all the people in one place?

I haven't heard any news on multiple infections for airport staff, so take normal precautions..

Thanks for that have travel insurance but think my ehic card is out of date
    Might try hotel and see if they will let us rebook
    Handy to have it anyway.
    I just printed filled it out and posted.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/ehic/ehic.html
    RE hotel definitely no harm in trying

I think you're jumping the gun with the flights. Aer Lingus will almost certainly cancel flights in April if the situation doesn't change. They just don't want to say it yet. I'd say bide your time and you'll get refunds when they cancel the flights.

Very decent of the hotel btw.
    Thanks for that I would say you are right.
    Tbh the hotel was priority believe me.

Really nice of hotel was seriously delighted I realised they had no obligation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Can I enquire which insurer that was please?
    Hope that's not a personal question :D

VHI Multi-trip Annual Policy which we have continually renewed for the past few years so they said we had continued cover.

You must have private health insurance to get to policy we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭mikesavo2003

Due to travel to Liverpool game this weekend with my son. Fly from Knock to Liverpool. Don't really mind the travel bit but nervous of the 60,000 at the game with all advice saying to avoid mass gatherings. What would most ppl do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Due to travel to Liverpool game this weekend with my son. Fly from Knock to Liverpool. Don't really mind the travel bit but nervous of the 60,000 at the game with all advice saying to avoid mass gatherings. What would most ppl do?

give me your tickets to the game :)

honestly, you'll be grand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Someone posted on another thread that they weren't going to the game in Paris next week - was sorely tempted to say the same as you! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

nobody under 10 has died anywhere in the world, barely anyone under 60 has died anywhere in the world, in italy only 60+ year olds with existing chronic conditions died.

So.... if you are a 60+ year old father of a 10 year old, with chronic illnesses, preferably respiratory (but heart and kidney ilnesses also can be problematic) then be worried, buy 2 months worth of food and hide.

Otherwise, go to the match. The chances of you ending up a gonner through the virus is probably less than the chance of dying on the way to the airport in a car accident. And dont worry about your son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Silvius

Supposed to be going to an event in Barcelona at the end of March - haven't flights or hotel booked yet so won't lose much money if I don't go. Have been looking forward to this trip and need a break BUT have an underlying health condition that could make coronavirus a very big deal for me so don't know what to do. What would most people do?

• Advertisement

Silvius wrote: »
    Supposed to be going to an event in Barcelona at the end of March - haven't flights or hotel booked yet so won't lose much money if I don't go. Have been looking forward to this trip and need a break BUT have an underlying health condition that could make coronavirus a very big deal for me so don't know what to do. What would most people do?
    I wouldnt travel. Whether the virus is more prevalent there or in Ireland is an open question.

I wouldnt want to be caught out abroad needing intensive care PLUS if you need repatriation (private medical jet back) this might not be covered by insurance which has clauses excluding payments for existing conditions and some also now refusing to pay for corona virus related claims

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭mikesavo2003

Thanks for replies everyone. Not overly concerned about myself or young lad getting it but more concerned about picking it up and spreading it when I get home. Young baby at home (I know there is no huge evidence of it affecting them but still nervous of it) and also father 80yo with weak immune system

Thanks - didn't think about the medical insurance side of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've booked a trip to Puglia flying out on April 3rd, I'm going to wait until a few days before travelling to decide if we go or not and what the Dept. of Foreign Affairs advise.

In case this may be relevant to anyone else - I've checked out my travel/health insurance situation and would be covered for coronavirus-related medical care as long as the Dept. of Foreign Affairs advice is that it is safe to travel. If they advise against non-essential travel then I wouldn't be covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

No refund.
    That was really class on their part !
    I am really impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Silvius wrote: »
    In case this may be relevant to anyone else - I've checked out my travel/health insurance situation and would be covered for coronavirus-related medical care as long as the Dept. of Foreign Affairs advice is that it is safe to travel. If they advise against non-essential travel then I wouldn't be covered.

It seems a bit of a catch 22 to me with insurance. If you don't go, you won't get travel expenses back unless DFA has explicitly banned it, but if you go when there's an advisory only, you won't be covered either.

Insurance and airlines win every time ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I really hate the limbo of it all.

It's a terrible thing to wish things will get worse in a particular location so that DFA might upgrade to a level where I won't lose a lot of money (I can't afford to lose) if I cancel.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I really hate the limbo of it all.

Yeah this is the real kicker. I'm supposed to be going to Morocco in 3 weeks and normally I'd be getting really excited, planning activities etc. Atm I'm still planning to go, but a lot can change in 3 weeks. Like if I'm asked to self-isolate or something.

We're also getting married this year and haven't booked our honeymoon yet. Can't seem to get excited about it for some reason :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree with everything you’ve said. We due to go to South America in a few weeks and even if we do get going the issue still remains is everything going to be open and will there be restrictions in general? If that’s the case it takes the whole good out of the trip.
    woodchuck wrote: »
    Yeah this is the real kicker. I'm supposed to be going to Morocco in 3 weeks and normally I'd be getting really excited, planning activities etc. Atm I'm still planning to go, but a lot can change in 3 weeks. Like if I'm asked to self-isolate or something.

We're also getting married this year and haven't booked our honeymoon yet. Can't seem to get excited about it for some reason :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭Ms2011

We're supposed to be going to Orlando in the summer, first holiday in 6 years. The thoughts of having to disappoint my 5 & 8 year is killing me worse than the thoughts of losing any money :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have an escorted tour booked to Italy which is likely to be cancelled. I booked my flights separate to the tour so will my travel insurance pay out for those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Gael23 wrote: »
    I have an escorted tour booked to Italy which is likely to be cancelled. I booked my flights separate to the tour so will my travel insurance pay out for those?

are the flights benig cancelled by the airline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    are the flights benig cancelled by the airline?

No but the trip I was going on is very likely to be

Ms2011 wrote: »
    We're supposed to be going to Orlando in the summer, first holiday in 6 years. The thoughts of having to disappoint my 5 & 8 year is killing me worse than the thoughts of losing any money :(
    if this is like the flu (just worse), it will have fizzled out by then, just like the normal flu does in the summer.
    I wouldnt be worrying too much about it yet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement