Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoronaVirus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Ms2011 wrote: »
    We're supposed to be going to Orlando in the summer, first holiday in 6 years. The thoughts of having to disappoint my 5 & 8 year is killing me worse than the thoughts of losing any money :(

Exact same here. Due to go to Italy and they have been watching videos of pools for weeks. It's looking very unlikely right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Micky 32

We're supposed to be going to Orlando in the summer, first holiday in 6 years. The thoughts of having to disappoint my 5 & 8 year is killing me worse than the thoughts of losing any money :(

Are you really at more risk going than by staying here when it’s now all around us?

I’m heading to USA late April and unless something drastically happens i’ll be still going. There are no cases presently where i’m going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Are you really at more risk going than by staying here when it’s now all around us?

I’m heading to USA late April and unless something drastically happens i’ll be still going. There are no cases presently where i’m going.

We're flying direct, no stop over so that's a plus.

But I do have an autoimmune disease so would be worse off if I got sick over there than at home.

yellow hen wrote: »
    Exact same here. Due to go to Italy and they have been watching videos of pools for weeks. It's looking very unlikely right now.

We're the same, every bedtime they talk about what they are going to do when they get over:(
    Just crossing everything it does end up going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Hey, I'm due to travel to Seattle at the end of March with the wife and kids.
    I'm not pushed on going now as I'm a little worried about my kids, under what circumstances is it possible to get my money back for flights. Is it only if the airline aerlingus cancels or there is a travel ban?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭johnire

I know exactly what you mean. But the problem I have is whereas I’ve no real problem in travelling anywhere what’s the point if when you get to your destination the place is on lockdown? I’m hoping to travel to South America next month but it would be so disappointing to go all that way and then not be able to experience everything we had planned to.
    We're the same, every bedtime they talk about what they are going to do when they get over:(
    Just crossing everything it does end up going ahead.

johnire wrote: »
    I know exactly what you mean. But the problem I have is whereas I’ve no real problem in travelling anywhere what’s the point if when you get to your destination the place is on lockdown? I’m hoping to travel to South America next month but it would be so disappointing to go all that way and then not be able to experience everything we had planned to.

Yeah that's the worry too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We're really worried about our planned holiday
    3 weeks in france/Italy at end of June with a 21 month old
    Flying in and out of Milan via Frankfurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Gael23 wrote: »
    No but the trip I was going on is very likely to be

Check your T&Cs on the insurance but you are unlikely to be covered as in theory you could still take the flights.

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I really hate the limbo of it all.

It's a terrible thing to wish things will get worse in a particular location so that DFA might upgrade to a level where I won't lose a lot of money (I can't afford to lose) if I cancel.

In fairness I think there's a lot of us feeling like that.

Without a DFA notice, travel insurance is useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

DFA may update travel advice to Northern Italy by tomorrow..from "High degree of caution" to "Do not travel"

The Italian government intends to lock down the entire region of Lombardy, that region includes Bergamo and Malpensa airports...

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

The uncertainty is causing me a lot of anxiety. NYC - which we are due to fly to on Thursday and stay for 5 nights - has declared a state of emergency. I realise that this is in many ways a formality that has to be done to access funding, but like others, my worry is that we get there and events and attractions get shut down. My 12 year old daughter would be a ball of anxiety if it all feels strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

if this is like the flu (just worse), it will have fizzled out by then, just like the normal flu does in the summer.
    I wouldnt be worrying too much about it yet.

It is nothing like the flu. Its a pandemic with no vaccine..

Infact there is nothing that suggests that it disappears. Experts are now suggesting that its endemic.

STB. wrote: »
    It is nothing like the flu. Its a pandemic with no vaccine..

Infact there is nothing that suggests that it disappears. Experts are now suggesting that its endemic.

PANIC and, most importantly, SPEND SPEND SPEND.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

We're due to fly out to Tenerife the 21st so still undecided whether to go.

Guess we will have to monitor the situation. It definitely puts a damper on it and don't feel like getting ready to go.

The up side though we can cancel the hotel close to the travel date but will obviously have to swallow the flight fees unless they get cancelled!

• Advertisement

Dad is delaying his trip to Vietnam. Was meant to coming in a couple of weeks. Pity but it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

foxy_j wrote:

Don't go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Ironicname wrote: »
    Don't go.

Not sure if this poster is serious or taking the piss. Either way the last two weeks really have not shown boards.ie in a positive light.

Hey, I'm due to travel to Seattle at the end of March with the wife and kids.
    I'm not pushed on going now as I'm a little worried about my kids, under what circumstances is it possible to get my money back for flights. Is it only if the airline aerlingus cancels or there is a travel ban?
    Thanks

Why are you worried about your kids - is there something wrong with them?

Have you done any research on the impact (or lack of) of Covid 19 on children?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Not sure if this poster is serious or taking the piss. Either way the last two weeks really have not shown boards.ie in a positive light.

Deadly serious, I'd say. I for one will not be attending any St. Patrick's day parades too and anyone asking me for advice I'd say the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

foxy_j wrote: »

Guess we will have to monitor the situation. It definitely puts a damper on it and don't feel like getting ready to go.

The up side though we can cancel the hotel close to the travel date but will obviously have to swallow the flight fees unless they get cancelled!

I’d go to the canaries no problem and enjoy the holiday. Exercise the usual common sense practices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Mr.S wrote: »
    Lombardy region is now under lock-down until April 3rd but airports are still open and flight still scheduled.

Though, you'd be a bit mad to fly at this rate to Northern Italy. Hope the airlines pull all the flights.

What I find odd is none of the flight crews in to these areas appear to have got the virus as a result. I would have thought nobody would want to be rostered on these flights and unions would react to have them cancelled.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Italy has also closed all museums, archaeological sites, cinemas and theatres, which severely limits those who still might travel.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm very serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

We're meant to be going to the US in a month, and still plan to go. I see my travel insurance will only cover costs if the DFA say don't travel. My insurance is also void if the DFA say don't travel. So really the holiday is dictated by the DFA stance in the next few weeks.

But does anybody know what happens if I'm over there and the DFA declare the area a no-go? Do we have to get back home asap to still be insured?

Italy has also closed all museums, archaeological sites, cinemas and theatres, which severely limits those who still might travel.

There are still schools going on skiing trips from Ireland.

Nobody has told them they cannot and the daft parents refuse to lose the money that they have been told isn't refundable..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What does the lock down in Italy actually involve? From reading the italian subreddit it seems that people can still move around freely, airports and bus stations are still open etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭raxy

We're meant to be going to the US in a month, and still plan to go. I see my travel insurance will only cover costs if the DFA say don't travel. My insurance is also void if the DFA say don't travel. So really the holiday is dictated by the DFA stance in the next few weeks.

But does anybody know what happens if I'm over there and the DFA declare the area a no-go? Do we have to get back home asap to still be insured?

I think if the DFA change their guidance while you are there you will still be covered. If you want you can also go home early using your insurance, might depend who your insurer is. The AA have a FAQ on coronavirus with some questions answered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Im off to buy bog roll

I bought 9 rolls earlier, does that now make me immune?

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »
    There are still schools going on skiing trips from Ireland.

Nobody has told they cannot and the daft parents refuse to lose the money that they have been told isn't refundable..

My nieces school trip to Milian was cancelled on Friday, no sure how they are fixed for getting their money back.

My nieces school trip to Milian was cancelled on Friday, no sure how they are fixed for getting their money back.

Well it was mentioned to me that a school down this way was going ahead with their skiing trip as they couldn't get a refund! I don't know how true it is.

This is what Tony Holohan and the gang are presiding over. He is too busy copying the mistakes the Italians made.

Unless the decision is taken out of peoples hands, the potential remains for stupid decisions for such ridiculous reasons as the money people will have lost over the potential fast track spread among communities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

MadYaker wrote: »
    What does the lock down in Italy actually involve? From reading the italian subreddit it seems that people can still move around freely, airports and bus stations are still open etc

Yeah I was due to fly to Treviso in just under a fortnight. The city is shut down but the airport is still open so still not getting money back as it currently stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Irish citizens now advised not to travel to affected area in Northern Italy, how does this affect flights and cancellations now?

Irish citizens now advised not to travel to affected area in Northern Italy, how does this affect flights and cancellations now?

Airports are still open so not holding out much hope of getting money back from Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Caranica wrote: »
    Airports are still open so not holding out much hope of getting money back from Ryanair

But if there is a travel advisory notice your travel insurance should kick in.

Ironicname wrote: »
    I'm very serious.

Well then could you stop scaremongering and giving unsubstantiated advice without at least trying to back it up with some logic or statistics?

As things stands, there is absolutely no good reason why the poster shouldn't be able to go and enjoy his holiday to an island where there have been fewer cases than here and, to be honest, it is bordering on irresponsible to scaremonger in the manner you are doing. Really poor stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It effects people with travel insurance. Heard a guy from Blue insurance on the radio during the week. Only around 40 percent of people get travel insurance nowadays. The vast majority of these are still using travel agents. Most people who book online themselves don't have travel insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Bigoldhouse

Well then could you stop scaremongering and giving unsubstantiated advice without at least trying to back it up with some logic or statistics?

As things stands, there is absolutely no good reason why the poster shouldn't be able to go and enjoy his holiday to an island where there have been fewer cases than here and, to be honest, it is bordering on irresponsible to scaremonger in the manner you are doing. Really poor stuff.

I'm due to fly on Thursday to Tenerife. Chances of me catching something there are probably less than the chances of catching it walking around the city but one worry is about a quarantine in the hotel. Couldn't afford to turn my trip into a 3 week lockdown.

• Advertisement

Hey, I'm due to travel to Seattle at the end of March with the wife and kids.I'm not pushed on going now as I'm a little worried about my kids, under what circumstances is it possible to get my money back for flights. Is it only if the airline aerlingus cancels or there is a travel ban?

Call or go online and rebook your flights for another destination or ask for a refund if available..

Avoid Washington state.

Washington has emerged as the epicenter of the nation's coronavirus outbreak with more than 100 cases in six counties and at least 16 deaths. The virus has also been detected in at least four nursing homes. Inslee, who previously declared a coronavirus state of emergency, said that voluntary measures have been working and that more Washingtonians are telecommuting and avoiding large gatherings. But he also said those voluntary measures may not be enough.

"We may have to go to the next step and we are thinking about those seriously to get ahead of this curve," Inslee said, adding that he would be meeting with state officials Sunday to discuss additional measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭irishgeo

in the same boat, trip to NYC booked for the end of march. cant see a travel ban being applied. Most cases seem to be outside the city though.

My logic would be that I wouldn't want to take the chance of being quarantined or being abroad at this time. It's purely my opinion and my advise.

I don't want to scaremonger. I have no idea what's happening at the moment but the uncertainty of it would be enough to postpone any holiday I had to a popular tourist destination.

That's just me.

I'm due to fly on Thursday to Tenerife. Chances of me catching something there are probably less than the chances of catching it walking around the city but one worry is about a quarantine in the hotel. Couldn't afford to turn my trip into a 3 week lockdown.

I would still go, your chances of it being picked up are still high if you travel on a packed bus or train here in Ireland.

What I would do is not stay at a hotel, especially where you have communal dining areas with people touching the same items over and over.

I'd book a self catering bungalow where you can reduce the contact with large numbers of people.

You're unlikely to catch a virus at the beach so enjoy some sun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Caranica wrote: »
    My flight to Lombardy was cancelled by Ryanair and refunded.

My flight to Lombardy was cancelled by Ryanair and refunded.

Mine still showing as upcoming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Has anybody had any experience with Airbnb and Coronavirus cancellations yet?

The whole of Italy is now on lockdown.

Hopefully now I can argue with VHI Multitrip that going to Rome would be folly - nothing is open anyway!

Genealogy Forum Mod

The whole of Italy is now on lockdown.

Hopefully now I can argue with VHI Multitrip that going to Rome would be folly - nothing is open anyway!

Spoke to them the other day, they will only pay out once an area is listed on the DFA website as 'do not travel'

It hasn't been updated yet...

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/italy/

Yes, but I'm hoping that a) DFA will change position tomorrow following this announcement by Conti tonight b) there's an argument that my holiday is severely curtailed by an order that closes all tourist attractions, cinemas, theatres, etc.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Airports and public transport is still open which is pure madness.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement