Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Walter Mitty thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Van driver from my job a few years back was an out and out Walter Mitty.

He flew helicoptors, had a cruiser on the shannon (despite not knowing where Shannon was when required to deliver stuff to a job we were doing there) and bedded a never ending stream of beautiful women (he was quite obese and not what you'd call a looker)
    A few gems among his long list of previous jobs - he was a cabinet maker, an underwater welder, a golf pro and my own personal favourite - a special diplomatic armed postman!

The guy was fúcking nuts to say the absolute minimum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I will admit, I've made up mad stories to strangers sometimes. Like for example on a flight when you're on your own and the person next to you thinks this is licence to ask you everything about your life I just make up a mad story for the laugh.

Get a kick out of it I have to be honest. :D:D
    I've done that on flights to the US. More to practice my story for immigration. No body ever believed me !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I remember reading about a poster on this website who claimed to be an independently wealthy Libertarian stockbroker and Joycean scholar.

He also said he had a smoking hot teen bride from the Deep South in the US who used to babysit for him and who later bore him more children. All of this and he still found time to argue eighteen hours a day on Boards.ie about absolute twaddle.

I found this out after he left the website and dozens of people came out of the woodwork slagging him off, such was his renown as a ****e-talker non-pareil.

he was the greatest of them all. it never occurred to me that anyone believed him but when it all came out apparently a load of people thought he was for real.

it was absolutely bananas stuff and he had an opinion on everything.
    the smokin hot teenage wife and mother for 4 who he turned from a teenage high school drop out to a successful part time futures trader was just brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭anewme

farmchoice wrote: »
    he was the greatest of them all. it never occurred to me that anyone believed him but when it all came out apparently a load of people thought he was for real.

the smokin hot teenage wife and mother for 4 who he turned from a teenage high school drop out to a successful part time futures trader was just brilliant.

I came across that person one time about how he was afraid to let his future Bride out in public wearing an expensive ring in case she was targeted!

My Bad. I was worse to entertain him.

I hadn't put enough of it together at that stage to realise it was makey up stuff.

I suppose it's very true that a liar needs a good memory.

I beg to differ. Takes a somewhat troubled mind to weave such a narrative. One perpetually starved of attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Hang on, isn’t that guy still posting?

Doesn’t seem to be about the trading and wife anymore. He’s now angling to be boards’ own “yellow-pack” Jordan Peterson.

He’s already got a few “followers” behind him too, real “Current Affairs” forum types.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Who, ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TrampFighter

lad i used to work with is a prime example of this.

told us all he was a Hindu from India,
    the Security guard who was a Pakisti muslim used to give him loads becuse he was actually a Pakistiani Muslim,

keeps telling us stories of his Audi RS7 that owns but drove his ganky ford feista to work.

i follow him on instagram and he constanly posts pics of an Audi RS7 thats customized to the hilt, talking about hes living his best life.
    The car actually belong to some lad in dubai, found this out through a reverse image search.

Doesn’t seem to be about the trading and wife anymore. He’s now angling to be boards’ own “yellow-pack” Jordan Peterson.

He’s already got a few “followers” behind him too, real “Current Affairs” forum types.

I took it that it was a different person altogether and just slagging the name. Maybe not.

I dont know who that person Jordan Peterson is. I saw a big thread on him but it did not seem that engaging.

anewme wrote: »
    I took it that it was a different person altogether and just slagging the name. Maybe not.

I dont know who that person Jordan Peterson is. I saw a big thread on him but it did not seem that engaging.

Oh, I wasn’t aware of that. You could well be right, I’ll let someone who knows more about “them” give a more “informed” decision.

You’re better off. A particularly nasty thread that really belongs in the “Current Affairs” forum

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

The Irish forgive a lot of spoofing.

I really think we do not. If you spoof or talk sh1te you're more than likely going to get called out on it. Particularly in a public house.

Either that or you'll be a fcuking running joke for the rest of your days in your locality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

MOOD: As previously advised, there is no discussion of former posters. Any further breaches will result in your posts being deleted and your threads being moved to a dead forum.

That's a bad MOOD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

I beg to differ. Takes a somewhat troubled mind to weave such a narrative. One perpetually starved of attention.

apologies i have just seen the above post from the mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

If it's a different person, they've certainly done their homework.

Going from a libertarian to a Jordan Peterson knock-off is probably the most realistic thing about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

At least Aongus is actually funny, most Mitties arent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

At least Aongus is actually funny, most Mitties arent

Nah, he's tiresome, desperate and trying too hard.

Just like me trying to get the bang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You should ask LaptopGremlin for advice, he's up to his knees in high school graduates looking for the bang.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

You meet some classic bullsh1tters when travelling/backpacking- I remember some English guy in Thailand telling me he designed the Predator costume. He was about 20 so maybe 3 or 4 years old when that film was released...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

That's "yet" to be established, Emmet, no matter how many times we politely enquire.
    A mod did not delete the call out post, it was the poster him/her self that deleted it because they felt bad about outing him. I know because I was pmd by the poster. Now the mystery can be put to bed.
    Sorry about the confusion

Notdeco wrote: »
    A mod did not delete the call out post, it was the poster him/her self that deleted it because they felt bad about outing him. I know because I was pmd by the poster. Now the mystery can be put to bed.

Better late than never, thanks for clearing things up. Mods received a harsh rap after all.

I'm sure they felt bad alright, a new account that just happened to find that post. ;)

It disappeared at the same time of the account closure so it did look like they were linked.

No one was having a go at the mods either, just wondering if you could drag up old posts. The poster involved had no problem doing it themself.

I'm sure they felt bad alright, a new account that just happened to find that post. ;)

It disappeared at the same time of the account closure so it did look like they were linked.

No one was having a go at the mods either, just wondering if you could drag up old posts. The poster involved had no problem doing it themself.

Hmmmm, Mind goes into over load and conspiracy theories....

I accept I need to get a life, but allow me my fun! :D

I accept I need to get a life, but allow me my fun! :D

Im talking about me....I've solved it...

• Advertisement

Ahh I'm immune to it at this stage. The auld cloak and dagger sh1te has been a recurring theme in Boardsian circles for donkeys' years now

Im talking about me....I've solved it...

Don't ruin the suspense! ;)

I've just been thinking how privileged you are that a new poster pmed you to fill you in. ;)

The original poster may well have deleted their own post but that still doesn’t explain why other posts were deleted in such “haste”, why clarification requests were ignored, why any posts referencing it were deleted and why “interesting” threads were locked.

One piece of the “puzzle” has been explained here, and that’s a good thing. But there is more going on here than meets the eye. Much more.

One piece of the “puzzle” has been explained here, and that’s a good thing. But there is more going on here than meets the eye. Much more.

One has to wonder how a particular poster was chosen as the one to PM and explain why the "outing" post was deleted though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

The original poster may well have deleted their own post but that still doesn’t explain why other posts were deleted in such “haste”, why clarification requests were ignored, why any posts referencing it were deleted and why “interesting” threads were locked.

The auld boy likely threatened legal action and if we know anything about Boards it is that they shít their pants at such threats. His posts were anonymised much more quickly than normal also, further pointing to the above theory being true.

The auld boy likely threatened legal action and if we know anything about Boards it is that they shít their pants at such threats. His posts were anonymised much more quickly than normal also, further pointing to the above theory being true.

A fair point, depending on which thread you visit "he who shall not be named" has been scrambled into random three word combinations. A pointed tactic to obfuscate his posting history as much as possible. Then again, nothing surprises me anymore on this site.

A fair point, depending on which thread you visit "he who shall not be named" has been scrambled into random three word combinations. A pointed tactic to obfuscate his posting history as much as possible. Then again, nothing surprises me anymore on this site.

Now, Bertie, let's use logic here. That seems to done be when an account is closed.

Deleting posts, closing threads and ignoring genuine questions is not the norm though.

Now, Bertie, let's use logic here. That seems to done be when an account is closed.

Deleting posts, closing threads and ignoring genuine questions is not the norm though.

It has to be specifically requested, it's not the de facto behaviour on closing an account. It also usually takes up to 30 days as per GDPR rules. This case was done in a day or two.

I've seldom come across it. Obviously you have a keener eye than mine.

I noticed it when a poster closed their account after the thread about old posters was closed.

It has to be specifically requested, it's not the de facto behaviour on closing an account. It also usually takes up to 30 days as per GDPR rules. This case was done in a day or two.

Are you sure? I noticed it with a few others.

One has to wonder how a particular poster was chosen as the one to PM and explain why the "outing" post was deleted though.
    Because I was the one to explain the deleted post. And why the " rich retiree" left.
    If you are implying that I had two accounts and was making sh1t up, pm a adim to look into it. Or go back and read the time frame.

Really, the bull**** is beyond ridiculous now.

Any questions, feel free to pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Van driver from my job a few years back was an out and out Walter Mitty.

He flew helicoptors, had a cruiser on the shannon (despite not knowing where Shannon was when required to deliver stuff to a job we were doing there) and bedded a never ending stream of beautiful women (he was quite obese and not what you'd call a looker)
    A few gems among his long list of previous jobs - he was a cabinet maker, an underwater welder, a golf pro and my own personal favourite - a special diplomatic armed postman!

The guy was fúcking nuts to say the absolute minimum!

Ah the underwater welder. We had one at a place I worked.

Ah the underwater welder. We had one at a place I worked.

Had he much luck with the ladies?

Because I was the one to explain the deleted post. And why the " rich retiree" left.
    If you are implying that I had two accounts and was making sh1t up, pm a adim to look into it. Or go back and read the time frame.

Really, the bull**** is beyond ridiculous now.

Any questions, feel free to pm me.

I'm not implying that at all!

• Advertisement

I'm not implying that at all!

Yet insinuating it.

Are you sure? I noticed it with a few others.

Yep. This explains it

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108786728&postcount=1

Basically it's boards solution to their own idiotic decision to delete posts en masse which, unsurprisingly, was destroying threads. One of the other Mittys mentioned in this thread availed of the post deletion service when it was available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bout 15 years ago i met an english lad in the south of spain who apparently owned a hurley factory in Romania. We broke our holes laughing at him, but he was adamant. Ended up on the beer with him, he also had the usual supermodel wife, staying in a villa near by etc. By the end of the night he had drunkenly tried it on with my (male) friend, was rebuffed and promptly disappeared. Never heard of a romanian hurl since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Or when you post on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Or when you post on here.

Ah dont be like thst Wokey Hogey :(

Out of all the rereggers on the site, yours is the only opinion that matters to me.

I has a sad now and its only 07:17:(

Jaysis I hope I can make it through the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ah dont be like thst Wokey Hogey :(

Be careful Signore.
    I hate Barry Egan more than any living person this planet.

I hate his column in the Sunday Independent. I hate how he pretends to be "in on the joke" when he loves rubbing shoulders with the D4 airheads. I hate his long red hair. I hate Brendan O'Connor. I hate everything about him.

I was at a social function where I saw him chortling vilely into a flute of champagne. My wife had to talk me out of walking over to him and offering him outside for a straightener. She reasoned that he wouldn't have had a clue who I was and we would probably have been ejected from the event. So I finished my own drink and insisted we leave. When I arrived home I ran fifteen miles at two in the morning to clear my head I was so angry. I hate Barry Egan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

Manager in one of the places I worked claims to know everything and has seen everything. So he's always right and you are wrong. Absolute numpty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

daheff wrote: »
    Manager in one of the places I worked claims to know everything and has seen everything. So he's always right and you are wrong. Absolute numpty.

A rent a brain they’re called here.ive met plenty of them fcukers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Omackeral wrote: »
    Be careful Signore.

Here comes crisp guy trying to stick his dainty little boot in.

You can have a pop at me as much as you like, crisp guy, after you stop running to the moderators every time I hand your arse back to you. Good man.

• Advertisement

I'm never sure half the time if people are messing or serious.

Advertisement