Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Walter Mitty thread

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Quite a few Walter Mittys on the Coronavirus thread, I would say... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Dangerous gossips more like.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

anewme wrote: »

That too.

But definitely some Walter Mitty types wanting to place themselves at the centre of the 'story'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Since I saw this movie I wanted to go to Iceland with a skateboard and hit that road ! I might do it to since I still have my skateboard from when I was a teenager fckn years ago lol. Time to oil up those bearings perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

It's just occured to me that Trump is a serious Walt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Don’t know if they are Walter Mitty’s. More mouth-breathing thicks who struggle to tie their own shoelaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You only need a few of them to start panic buying to mess with everyone else's regular shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

mondeo wrote: »
    Since I saw this movie I wanted to go to Iceland with a skateboard and hit that road ! I might do it to since I still have my skateboard from when I was a teenager fckn years ago lol. Time to oil up those bearings perhaps.

I actually met a young lad in Iceland he was a big fan of the film and was visiting all the places they filmed it.

No skateboard though

Walter Mitty II has closed his account. A shame, no more pseudo-codology to chew on. At least for now, until an insatiable desire for attention takes over.

kowloon wrote: »
    You only need a few of them to start panic buying to mess with everyone else's regular shop.

Brennan's Bread Saga Mark II

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Don’t know if they are Walter Mitty’s. More mouth-breathing thicks who struggle to tie their own shoelaces.
    Internet ruined by them. And what they love to use as a riposte is "oh so anything you disagree with is stupid!" (handy way to deflect).

No, anything that's stupid... is stupid.

Not every opinion is valid despite what some insist.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Monkey2019

I worked with a girl a few years ago that lived in an absolute dream world.
    She was in her 20s and claimed to have 4 different college degrees along with being a beautician, a professional showjumper and a wiccan.

Previous jobs included teaching english to foreign kids, legal secretary, a mediator, worked in "car crash investigations",an engineer for a building company, chairperson for the credit unions...thats just the few i remember.

3 times she faked a heart attack in work - ambulance called each time, each time she was back in work the next day.

She was also able to "astro travel".

Said she was living in mansion down in Wexford.

A guy from Wexford that knew her started in our job soon after - it was obviously all lies. She lived at home and had done a couple of PLC courses.

If she wasnt so arrogant and horrible we could have felt sorry for her - clearly wasnt well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Walter Mitty II has closed his account. A shame, no more pseudo-codology to chew on. At least for now, until an insatiable desire for attention takes over.

The white knight came a cropper.

Brennan's Bread Saga Mark II

If the Cornonavirus Thread(s) are anything to go by all the pasta will disappear except for lasagne. Apparently, believing the end of the world is upon us is still not enough to get people to bother with layering up lasagne.
    I think people are also going for those big things of water in the assumption that water stops coming out of the taps when all the people who work at the water factory drop dead. Or maybe someone sneezes virus into the sea and the remarkably small amount of virus turns the Earth's entire unbottled water supply into super-potent homoeopathic Sars-CoV-2.

kowloon wrote: »
    If the Cornonavirus Thread(s) are anything to go by all the pasta will disappear except for lasagne. Apparently, believing the end of the world is upon us is still not enough to get people to bother with layering up lasagne.
    I think people are also going for those big things of water in the assumption that water stops coming out of the taps when all the people who work at the water factory drop dead. Or maybe someone sneezes virus into the sea and the remarkably small amount of virus turns the Earth's entire unbottled water supply into super-potent homoeopathic Sars-CoV-2.

I'd say they will be terrified of all Pasta.

Pasta comes from Italy.

ITALY!!

Panic, panic, panic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Pasta comes from Italy.

ITALY!!

Panic, panic, panic
    I won't even play Super Mario anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    It would appear the spoofee has become the spoofer.

"It seems that the cat has been caught by the very person who was trying to catch him."

:pac:

I knew one fellow who claimed arrogantly that he was the manager of an electronics store and that he knew powerful people that would hurt me.

Funny thing was I worked in that particular store and never saw him in my life before or since. Intriguing, that.

Pasta comes from Italy.

Feck! I had tortellini for lunch!:eek:

How long do you think I have?

There's quite a few who want to place themselves at the centre of the 'drama' imo. If they don't actually have the virus, the next door neighbour's cat has it. And on it goes...

• Advertisement

The white knight came a cropper.

He has now morphed into a firefly, also known as "I'll threaten legal action if you don't bury my name".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

This lad is hilarious.

https://youtu.be/ZwTb_lUS3Uo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Happened remarkably quickly. And with a name change too.

He'll be back, spewing the same nonsense. Lad can't help himself.

Confirmed in the Feedback thread that a username is changed if the poster requests it before closing their account.

Why would anyone be concerned about what they've posted under an anonymous pseudonym?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Why would anyone be concerned about what they've posted under an anonymous pseudonym?

It makes it easier to return and pull the same stunt again. With that in mind, assuming they do reappear, that individual should be ignored en masse by everyone who recognises them in AH, CA, Feedback, and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It makes it easier to return and pull the same stunt again. With that in mind, assuming they do reappear, that individual should be ignored en masse by everyone who recognises them in AH, CA, Feedback, and elsewhere.

Absolutely. Whatever reincarnation they’ll carve out for themselves next time, best just give them a wide berth.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. Whatever reincarnation they’ll carve out for themselves next time, best just give them a wide berth.

Sometimes takes ages to suss out people who re reg though.

Sometimes takes ages to suss out people who re reg though.

This guy has a particular set of obsessions and debating style.

The posts are usually punctuated with an unwarranted sense of self confidence and have a myriad of statistics pulled from their arsehole

Don't forget the tone of ultra defensivenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

All the cloak and dagger posts. I'd love to know who but I know you can't say.heh.The suspense!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

All the cloak and dagger posts. I'd love to know who but I know you can't say.heh.The suspense!
    Can you link to one of his posts?

Can you link to one of his posts?

His name had been changed on his old posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

His name had been changed on his old posts.

Link an old post?

Link an old post?

That's contentious, we don't know if that's allowed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Arghus wrote: »
    Don't forget the tone of ultra defensivenes.

And constant strawmen and shifting the goalposts. And also massive hypocrisy in criticizing people for doing something that'll he defend the following week.

You'll all be in trouble, sitting on a bubble.

Meh, another rage quit after his nonsense in Feedback wasn't entertained.

Brittle as a twig after a drought. One thing I've observed in my decade on this site, pedantic primadonnas never last. I get a kiki out of watching them implode.

Isn't it a pity some do it via narky PMs, rather than publicly embarrassing themselves?

The PMs is rather amusingly apt.

Now I really don't know who you speak of.

Can someone fill me in please, havnt a bulls notion who is stirring the drama and am not on bacefook

• Advertisement

Isn't it a pity some do it via narky PMs, rather than publicly embarrassing themselves?

The PMs is rather amusingly apt.

Usually they can't resist both. I've received a few parting gifts, treasured to this day. I don't take myself seriously, nor them. It's something they never come to terms with, the messianic complex doesn't allow any humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Permabear closed his account again.

Arghus wrote: »
    Now I really don't know who you speak of.

Lol, it's not connected...

Saying from years ago when you were in school....hint, hint, this discussion will go the same way of past reminiscing ..

This is it wrote: »

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

There's a guy in Dublin, maybe 4ft 8" tall, that has a limp, who walks around, slowly, telling people he's a garda detective. Regularly see him around Dame St confronting people, often taxi drivers, telling them to move on, that they're parked in a bus lane or whatever. Seen him one night tell a few English lads, who were shouting and roaring on Fleet St, to 'keep it down' before he then slowly limped on about his business. They all went quiet for a few seconds and then broke up laughing. A character.

There's a guy in Dublin, maybe 4ft 8" tall, that has a limp, who walks around, slowly, telling people he's a garda detective.

I wonder what the Gardai make of him. They don't appreciate strippers with realistic Garda uniforms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

This is it wrote: »

Probably too busy with his rich lifestyle, extremely well paying job, much younger wife, multiple kids and a nanny to book in the big house in America.

How anyone ever took that lad serious was beyond me. He used to have a cabal that loved him in politics as he bashed the shinners.

Funny how things work out 😊

Probably too busy with his rich lifestyle, extremely well paying job, much younger wife, multiple kids and a nanny to book in the big house in America.

How anyone ever took that lad serious was beyond me. He used to have a cabal that loved him in politics as he bashed the shinners.

Funny how things work out ��

Ah yea sure he be like a pull-through for a rifle with her insatiable sex drive. I really have to get in on this Mittying craic with an alt account. Really not because I have any fantasy about living a much better life (I am living the dream as it is) but I will dream harder for the sake of providing continued entertainment to boardsies after them giving so much to me

Ah yea sure he be like a pull-through for a rifle with her insatiable sex drive. I really have to get in on this Mittying craic with an alt account. Really not because I have any fantasy about living a much better life (I am living the dream as it is) but I will dream harder for the sake of providing continued entertainment to boardsies after them giving so much to me

The effort of inventing a fantasy life and maintaining the charade must be exhausting.

I'm far too lazy and lacking in imagination to bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

He dedicated years to it! Madness

Advertisement