Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Walter Mitty thread

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He wasn't right in the head.

And still isn't, I'm sure.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

He dedicated years to it! Madness

Probably easy enough to do with a refill pad and some ink. You just compile a back-story as if you're creating a character for an RPG, make notes every time the story develops, and assume most readers aren't connecting all the dots.

There's a scary thought. Imagine Boards.ie was just the fantasy universe for a band of hyper-dedicated D&D style role-playing gamers. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Probably easy enough to do with a refill pad and some ink. You just compile a back-story as if you're creating a character for an RPG, make notes every time the story develops, and assume most readers aren't connecting all the dots.

Don't police always say the person with the perfect story that matches up is the one with something to hide?
    I know if I'm telling a story and forget some details I'll just fill them in with whatever. Later I might tell the same story and get the details different. Not major stuff but there's always going to be variations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There’s a lad I play golf with who is a proper bullshïtter. Not sure if it’s Walter Mitty or just compulsive lying.

This lad has had an ongoing threesome arrangement with two women since they all were teenagers. They meet once or twice a year for a night of coke and riding.

Did he ask you if you wanted to make it a fourball?

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

There's a scary thought. Imagine Boards.ie was just the fantasy universe for a band of hyper-dedicated D&D style role-playing gamers. :eek:

That might explain the chainmail I found in my wardrobe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That too.

But definitely some Walter Mitty types wanting to place themselves at the centre of the 'story'.

and folk believe they are who they say they are.... walters rely on that adulation,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

This is it wrote: »
    Permabear closed his account again.

WTF!

I had a couple of discussions with him over the years and i never noticed anything odd. He did mention one time that he had a really high paying job and i just thought good for you! I couldn't care less what anyone but me earns!

Damn my gullibility and my naive trusting ways:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's been ages since I've seen it but it's on again.

Sony Classic
    Tue 17.03.2020 The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
    16:35 - 17:30 (55 min.)
    17:35 - 18:50 (75 min.)
    [Movie] (1947)

A bumbling dreamer is treated with disdain by everyone he knows. He retreats into a fantasy world to escape grim reality, until an encounter with a mysterious woman sweeps him up into a real-life adventure and gives him the courage to change his life for the better. Comedy based on James Thurber's short story, starring Danny Kaye, Virginia Mayo and Boris Karloff. Norman Z McLeod Danny Kaye Virginia Mayo Boris Karloff Fay Bainter Ann Rutherford Thurston Hall Gordon Jones Florence Bates.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I think the all-time winner of Walting has to be Norton the First, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico. It got the the point that he was given uniform components by Federal and Local government officials, and he printed his own money, which was accepted by the locals for him to buy food. When he was placed under a citizen's arrest for being a bit looney, there was public outcry and the Chief of Police had him released. The US Census of 1870 lists his occupation as "Emperor"

Over 10,000 people attended his funeral.

I've been accused of being a Walt a few times (Technically, "Stolen Valor", as it's called here in the US). It's interesting the lengths of self-delusion/confirmation bias folks will go if they believe that you aren't who or what you say you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

I think the all-time winner of Walting has to be Norton the First, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico. It got the the point that he was given uniform components by Federal and Local government officials, and he printed his own money, which was accepted by the locals for him to buy food. When he was placed under a citizen's arrest for being a bit looney, there was public outcry and the Chief of Police had him released. The US Census of 1870 lists his occupation as "Emperor"

I've been accused of being a Walt a few times (Technically, "Stolen Valor", as it's called here in the US). It's interesting the lengths of self-delusion/confirmation bias folks will go if they believe that you aren't who or what you say you are.
    I understand that, there are a lot of vets and non-vets who come up with wild stories. But the whole stolen valor cause got to be so frequent anymore you have to carry around your DD214 just to prove your telling the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Sounds like a bit of a loony. Aren't you a libertarian though?

Advertisement