Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I did not want to show the world the sadness in my eyes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Raconteuse wrote: »
    No there doesn't.

I certainly do blame people for being suspicious just because it's a woman who has made the claim.

You are completly wrong. Sure, if your opinion is that the scenarios I mentioned are exageretted have every right to be exagerated, then that is grand, but to completely deny that there are a huge amount of exagerations, whether right or wrong, is strange.

If a man said that he was kindapped and gangraped and drugged without a police investigations, cctv, missing report (there could be but they have not been mentioned) then people would be suspsicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Cork_Langer1

SusieBlue wrote: »
    1. Nope, PP called him a "lying dwarf kid" which would imply that he was being dishonest about his age. If they had taken issue with just the bullying video & him being exploited by his mother I'm sure they would have said so and not used such nasty language when speaking about a disabled child.

2. Call what out, though? There is currently absolutely no reason not to believe her. She hasn't even accused anyone of anything.
    The rush to dismiss what happened her based off pretty much nada is so transparent. And these people aren't sceptical, they have specifically stated they think she is lying about it, for fame, money, or for sympathy. And that's so pathetic.

1, You need to blame the momanger for that, she put the video up for the public to react, people rightly went threw everything, original video is now down and both their Instagrams.

2, People are calling it out because it was released on Instagram, the worst of the "social media" out there. Why no mention of the police having been informed? What good will it do for her to have the public questioning her titbit of a claim? Because that's all it is at the moment.
    People need to be alot more skeptical of anything released on any social media sites, especially if they were courting that attention to further their career, before any releases on social media of unverified claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

I have read my posts. You on the other hand, haven’t read them. I haven’t once said she should be believed and I’ve actually said I don’t believe her because there isn’t enough evidence to conclude one way or the other. You’re talking out your hoop.

Unless you can quote me saying I think she should be believed, even once. Just one instance of me saying she should be believed....
    You have repeatedly said that if someone says that they've been raped they should be believed.

Ninthlife wrote: »
    This thread has confirmed I shouldnt come to boards looking for sympathy or compassion
    If someone needs help or counseling they should consult professionals who can help them not ask random strangers on in internet forum.

No there doesn't.

I certainly do blame people for being suspicious just because it's a woman who has made the claim.
    Why make it about gender? A person who hasn't been in the spotlight for a decade releases a statement on Instagram claiming to have dropped out because she was drugged abducted and raped. She could have told her story but she decided instead to invite people to submit questions about it to her to be answered in what she calls a spoken interview in the coming weeks. Now I don't know about you but to me that's sounding an awful lot like making a comeback than anything else. I don't like being a cynical cold hearted bitch but I've been fooled too many times by people with bogus sob stories that I tend to take it with a pinch of salt. She's banging on about the thousands and thousands of days of wanting to walk with sunlight in her heart and her sacred love for her fans. Sorry but it just sounds like she's not entirely sane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

If someone needs help or counseling they should consult professionals who can help them not ask random strangers on in internet forum.

Twice today this has happened.

People really need to stop taking random posts (mainly mine) so serious :)

And sometimes the anonymity of a place like Boards can provide a comfort that would allow the sharing of a traumatic experience or internal sadness which may be beneficial to that individual

Twice today this has happened.

People really need to stop taking random posts (mainly mine) so serious :)

And sometimes the anonymity of a place like Boards can provide a comfort that would allow the sharing of a traumatic experience or internal sadness which may be beneficial to that individual
    I think there's a personal issues forum for that stuff, if I wanted compassion and support I wouldn't look for it in after hours. :D

I think there's a personal issues forum for that stuff, if I wanted compassion and support I wouldn't look for it in after hours. :D

After Hours always offers the beat advice and it usually involves fire and/or pi$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

1, You need to blame the momanger for that, she put the video up for the public to react, people rightly went threw everything, original video is now down and both their Instagrams.

2, People are calling it out because it was released on Instagram, the worst of the "social media" out there. Why no mention of the police having been informed? What good will it do for her to have the public questioning her titbit of a claim? Because that's all it is at the moment.
    People need to be alot more skeptical of anything released on any social media sites, especially if they were courting that attention to further their career, before any releases on social media of unverified claims.

1. That still isn’t justification for referring to a disabled child as ‘lying dwarf kid’, he is not responsible for the actions of his adult mother so I suggest any criticism be directed at her instead of her innocent 9yr old child.
    People ‘went through’ everything, added 2+2 and came up with 2719282.
    Anyone with an ounce of cop on could see that the child isn’t 18yrs old with 5 minutes of research but that clearly hasn’t stopped some people from spreading fake news about it.

2. She can’t win. Apparently she must be lying cause she didn’t give enough info, yet the very brief info she has given has already been torn to shreds and disregarded. Why are you assuming that she hasn’t informed the police? That’s an unfounded accusation based on nothing but your own prejudice.
    The irony - complaining that people are believing her yet insisting she mustn’t have reported it to the police based on pretty much nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I don’t imagine there were that many people wondering where she went, so this comes as somewhat out of the blue by way of explaining her absence from the music business.

There were quite a few people wondering why she disappeared all of a sudden. it wasn't simply, my Album bombed, it was clear this person wanted no attention whatsoever from public life.

I had put her absence down to serious illness or severe personal problems. There were other people on this thread too who were aware that she almost vanished without a trace.

The report was originally issued in the Mail (I know) but the comments underneath showed a large number of people who commented similarly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

You are completly wrong. Sure, if your opinion is that the scenarios I mentioned are exageretted have every right to be exagerated, then that is grand, but to completely deny that there are a huge amount of exagerations, whether right or wrong, is strange.

If a man said that he was kindapped and gangraped and drugged without a police investigations, cctv, missing report (there could be but they have not been mentioned) then people would be suspsicious.
    I'm "completely wrong"? How so? What are these very high in number cases that you referred to? I mean there's *talk* of it, certainly an increase in mistrust of women, but what cases are they? I'm not saying it doesn't happen btw - of course it does - but this talk of a huge increase seems to be just that: talk.

I would absolutely believe such a claim by a man.
    Why make it about gender?.
    Indeed. Ask those who have made it about gender before me, and whom I'm responding to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

This thread has confirmed I shouldnt come to boards looking for sympathy or compassion

Most people on here are some of the worst people i have ever encountered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

The drama

The drama

Its more getting an insight into people's lives that i didn't want.

Its more getting an insight into people's lives that i didn't want.

You don’t get to choose;)

You don’t get to choose;)
    Yes I realize. Maybe its a good thing.

It at least means i am not blind. :)

Again the anonymity allows them to express a side of their character that may not usually be shown in 'real life'

The wonders on the internet i suppose

Yes I realize. Maybe its a good thing.

It at least means i am not blind. :)

In fairness there are quite a few head bangers in this place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Presumably she did but then was too traumatised for several years to consider a very public career. Makes more sense than her popping up a week after the event all singing all dancing with a book and a dailymail cover interview.
    It's surprising and somewhat pitiful to see something so awful being ridiculed here ( not addressing you specifically OP).

It's pitiful but it's not surprising on this forum, I've seen threads where there has been an iron clad court decision sending a man down for rape and assault and people pop up in the thread managing to blame the victim. Every time there is a thread of this nature the swamp creatures emerge with their pure cancerous comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.qkme.me%2F3rmoyk.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I get the gist of the topic, and these days, more and more, it simply convinces me that the Internet is a joke.

Everything associated with the Internet is a joke.

Once you start treating anything on the Internet as more than a joke, you're in a for a rough time.

There are no friends here, no justice, no understanding, nothing legitimate. It's a marketing tool designed to make money from ads, and your life is essentially the product being sold.

All the scandals and movements and changes... It's fake. All of it is fake.

A celebrity says something/does something... Means nothing.

Yes, it's ironic using the Internet to moan about the Internet. But if you treat it all as a joke, or not, you'll see it means nothing in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

It would seem likely her ordeal occurred during her rough patch, after her career bombed a decade ago and she also had relationship trouble. Although, that is just me speculating. Seems like a nice girl, relatively down-to-earth so it is not nice to read about what happened to her I have to say.

I searched for further information on her and found this rather crass Guardian article from 2008; https://www.theguardian.com/music/2008/oct/02/duffy.nervous.breakdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

beejee wrote: »
    I get the gist of the topic, and these days, more and more, it simply convinces me that the Internet is a joke.

Everything associated with the Internet is a joke.

Once you start treating anything on the Internet as more than a joke, you're in a for a rough time.

There are no friends here, no justice, no understanding, nothing legitimate. It's a marketing tool designed to make money from ads, and your life is essentially the product being sold.

All the scandals and movements and changes... It's fake. All of it is fake.

A celebrity says something/does something... Means nothing.

Yes, it's ironic using the Internet to moan about the Internet. But if you treat it all as a joke, or not, you'll see it means nothing in the end.
    Absolutely every bit of it is false? Well we know that's not true in fairness, even though much of it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'm starting to worry about Mika now.

Where have The Carter Twins gone???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

It would seem likely her ordeal occurred during her rough patch, after her career bombed a decade ago and she also had relationship trouble. Although, that is just me speculating. Seems like a nice girl, relatively down-to-earth so it is not nice to read about what happened to her I have to say.

I searched for further information on her and found this rather crass Guardian article from 2008; https://www.theguardian.com/music/2008/oct/02/duffy.nervous.breakdown

I agree with you, she always did seem sensible and down to earth but the statement is odd to say the least.

That Guardian article is heinous, even without the current situation the writer needs to have a look at themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

The real dreggs of our society in this thread, Sinn Fein voters no doubt, i hope they remember these posts if karma visits their family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Absolutely every bit of it is false? Well we know that's not true in fairness, even though much of it is.

It's "false" and "fake" in that it all amounts to nothing in the end.

It's the pretense that it matters, that's what makes money. And at the end of the day, the Internet is all about money. Not 85% of it, not 97% of it, it is 100% about money.

Consider that Mickey Mickley, famous for something, had an egg thrown at him in Zimbabwe because of his views on cucumbers.

Cue the rabble rabble rabble on the Internet, "I think this!", "I think that" screams one anonymous person at another anonymous person. Nothing will happen, nothing will change, nothing is highlighted or solved or changed.

It's simply yet another story, real, half-real, fake about people you don't know in a situation you don't know with other people you don't know. But..... anonymous arguments and effort will generate money for the platforms hosting it, and that's what will change and that's what will be altered: profit. And nothing more.

So, the Internet is a joke. And I try to avoid all emotional involvement in it. What's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

The real dreggs of our society in this thread, Sinn Fein voters no doubt, i hope they remember these posts if karma visits their family.
    to come out with a statement like that makes you no better than them

beejee wrote: »
    It's "false" and "fake" in that it all amounts to nothing in the end.

It's the pretense that it matters, that's what makes money. And at the end of the day, the Internet is all about money. Not 85% of it, not 97% of it, it is 100% about money.

Consider that Mickey Mickley, famous for something, had an egg thrown at him in Zimbabwe because of his views on cucumbers.

Cue the rabble rabble rabble on the Internet, "I think this!", "I think that" screams one anonymous person at another anonymous person. Nothing will happen, nothing will change, nothing is highlighted or solved or changed.

It's simply yet another story, real, half-real, fake about people you don't know in a situation you don't know with other people you don't know. But..... anonymous arguments and effort will generate money for the platforms hosting it, and that's what will change and that's what will be altered: profit. And nothing more.

So, the Internet is a joke. And I try to avoid all emotional involvement in it. What's the point?

You’re off your trolley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Post one of every thread = little news story and maybe a littler question, then open to others viewpoints...

Skip to post 180'ish of every thread..."I hope the spirit of humanities bitterness visits your house and takes a dump in your tea pot and I hope Sinn Fein pours you a nice bitter helping from the very same pot."

Every thread, without fail.....:rolleyes::pac:

Jonybgud wrote: »
    Post one of every thread = little news story and maybe a littler question, then open to others viewpoints...

Skip to post 180'ish of every thread..."I hope the spirit of humanities bitterness visits your house and takes a dump in your tea pot and I hope Sinn Fein pours you a nice bitter helping from the very same pot."

A link to any other 180th post ever on boards with these words ?
    Didn’t think so

Jonybgud wrote: »

Go over to current affairs. You’ll have great craic

Didn’t think so

Rhetorical

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Didn’t think so

The belligerence is strong in this one!

Rhetorical ye clown

Judging by your grasp of the English language there’s only one clown here.

• Advertisement

Judging by your grasp of the English language there’s only one clown here.

Yurrr ma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

seamus wrote: »
    How the fvck did this degenerate into "I wonder if she's lying"?

Some sick people around here tbh.

A journalist tracked her down and got in touch with her to ask her where she'd gone, and she agreed to go ahead and talk about.

So it's not like she planned out some great burst into the spotlight on the back of a traumatic story.

I'm not certain that you include myself in this 'some sick people around here' comment but since you quoted noone else I'll assume you do.

I'll point out firstly that there is a big difference between questioning a media story as it is reported and questing the personal account of an individual.

Frankly the perpetually outraged posters 'around here' seem to turn off their critical faculties in order to engage in sanctimonious self-righteousness in order to engage in same.

A journalist tracked her down and got in touch with her to ask her where she'd gone, and she agreed to go ahead and talk about.

And since I haven't turned my critical faculties off I'll ask you this: Do you mean the journalist noticed her missing on account of being kidnapped for a few days or do you mean why she disappeared off the music scene. Source and journalist please.

Now if anyone thinks I'm being 'sick' by just asking a few simple questions and infer that by asking them I'm inferring Duffy's is both lying and she has never been raped I might suggest that boards isn't the place for you. Unless of course you dwell here to feed off outrage, which is actually 'sick'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

AllForIt wrote: »
    Now if anyone thinks I'm being 'sick' by just asking a few simple questions

Nah. I think you passed that bar all by yourself with your 'funny' lyric quote yesterday.

It’s genuinely fascinating to see people assume the worst. It must just be in some people’s nature to think the worst of people which, I think, would be a miserable way to live.

I don’t know if she was raped. Not enough evidence to conclude one way or the other. But I would definitely advocate treating someone who claims to have been raped, with compassion.

You can treat them with compassion and still have suspicions that you don't need to raise with the person directly or even to other people.

We are on a discussion forum. Being sceptical here is separate from being compassion to the alleged victim.

Lillyfae wrote: »

Louis Walsh's attic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You can treat them with compassion and still have suspicions that you don't need to raise with the person directly or even to other people.

We are on a discussion forum. Being sceptical here is separate from being compassion to the alleged victim.

To be honest I’m not seeing any need to be compassionate, let alone the slightest bit concerned about the latest goings on with a celebrity who’s been out of the limelight for a couple of years and now comes back with a bizarre story that they were kidnapped, held hostage and raped, but they’re ok now after talking to a journalist who sought them out to ask them where they were even though they had still been doing things throughout that time (albeit without the same level of fame).

If they were my best friend or someone close to be I would be more inclined to believe them, but a celebrity coming out on social media with a fantastical tale at a time when they know it’s likely to earn them plaudits for their bravery from the public they originally sought to avoid? Completely different standards apply tbh.

To be honest I’m not seeing any need to be compassionate, let alone the slightest bit concerned about the latest goings on with a celebrity who’s been out of the limelight for a couple of years and now comes back with a bizarre story that they were kidnapped, held hostage and raped, but they’re ok now after talking to a journalist who sought them out to ask them where they were even though they had still been doing things throughout that time (albeit without the same level of fame).

If they were my best friend or someone close to be I would be more inclined to believe them, but a celebrity coming out on social media with a fantastical tale at a time when they know it’s likely to earn them plaudits for their bravery from the public they originally sought to avoid? Completely different standards apply tbh.

That was the point I was trying to make actually. Being suspicious here on Boards does not equate to a lack or empathy or compassion. It also does not equate to "assuming the worst" in Duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'm starting to worry about Mika now.

He got squashed by a big girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Lillyfae wrote: »

I know one was selling sunbeds in Fairview a few years ago.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    It's pitiful but it's not surprising on this forum, I've seen threads where there has been an iron clad court decision sending a man down for rape and assault and people pop up in the thread managing to blame the victim. Every time there is a thread of this nature the swamp creatures emerge with their pure cancerous comments.
    By swamp creatures you mean people that find it a little curious that someone whose last album flopped turns up after a decade with an extremely sensational story claiming to have been raped drugged and held captive announces it on Instagram, invites people to submit questions about it to her and claims she will answer those questions in a spoken interview in a few weeks time, also that it will be serialised in Rolling Stone Magazine. Fook but the stupid is strong in some people.
    Maybe it's true maybe it's not but the whole thing stinks of striking while the iron is hot, a day after Weinsteins conviction and a week after Caroline Flacks suicide. Not all of us swallow people's stories without asking questions. When you plaster something like this on Social Media it's to invite the whole world in and that's exactly what she did now if you want to believe her then go right ahead but how dare you throw nasty names at people who aren't naive pawns who are willing to swallow any story to enable a has been to make a comeback? By all means she could use Social Media to discuss it but using her alleged experience to relaunch her career is bloody tacky.

By swamp creatures you mean people that find it a little curious that someone whose last album flopped turns up after a decade claiming to have been raped drugged and held captive announces it on Instagram, invites people to submit questions about it to her and claims she will answer those questions in a spoken interview in a few weeks time, also that it will be serialised in Rolling Stone Magazine. Fook but the stupid is strong in some people.
    Maybe it's true maybe it's not but the whole thing stinks of striking while the iron is hot, a day after Weinsteins conviction and a week after Caroline Flacks suicide. Not all of us swallow people's stories without asking questions. When you plaster something like this on Social Media it's to invite the whole world in and that's exactly what she did now if you want to believe her then go right ahead but how dare you throw nasty names at people who aren't naive pawns.

This

Obviously i'm a swamp creature or whatever else is being stated on this thread for questioning this, however i said it to Mrs S last night and she just said why the fcuk would she want people to do a Q&A about being raped.

She also said this sounded bizarre

But no doubt the "woke" brigade will be along soon to pour shame on me for vindicating rape, which i haven't done once in this thread

This

Obviously i'm a swamp creature or whatever else is being stated on this thread for questioning this, however i said it to Mrs S last night and she just said why the fcuk would she want people to do a Q&A about being raped.

She also said this sounded bizarre

But no doubt the "woke" brigade will be along soon to pour shame on me for vindicating rape, which i haven't done once in this thread
    I'm a woman so am probably an inverted misogynist or some such, I've seen the misogyny accusations thrown around on this thread. In our town we have an annual meeting where the local Gardai invite the public to submit questions they want answered to them in writing one week before they meet with the public for the general Q&A session, they only answer questions that were submitted in writing and which they are prepared for so no nasty surprises or getting caught out, that's exactly what this says to me about this ladies claims. I've never heard the like of it in my life, I mean I just don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Not much to add to this but I had heard she'd fallen in with "the wrong crowd" and was diving into the charlie a bit too much. Doesn't take much to presume this may have all spiralled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

razorblunt wrote: »
    Not much to add to this but I had heard she'd fallen in with "the wrong crowd" and was diving into the charlie a bit too much. Doesn't take much to presume this may have all spiralled.

Ah well that's the whole story right there, good man for clearing all that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Glad I am not the only one to have scepticism. No mention anywhere of reporting it to the police so assuming she never went to them.

I am increasingly suspicious of celebs revealing via social media that they were the victim of crimes. It is too easy to get attention, sympathy, publicity and does not require any evidence or verification.

I think the first step would be the legal route if you are the victim of a crime as serious as this. Name names. Let the authorities investigate.

Which is a perfectly reasonable position to hold from an objective viewpoint but for survivors of abuse and sexual crimes, this can be a very grey area. I read somewhere that on average it takes adult survivors of abuse 24 years to speak out (albeit this is in the case of historic sex abuse so is not exactly on par with the facts being stated here).

I first told people about being abused last year when I was 35 - a good 25 years after the event and I didn't go to the authorities. If the perpetrator is known to the family, victims can struggle with the idea of how this move might be the "hitting nuclear" option.

I can also say that when people asked me, "why didn't you tell us sooner" and "why are you only bringing this up now" it acted very much as an implied suggestion that I was somehow to blame for not bringing it up sooner. Meeting such scepticism and suggestions that I was "wrong" in how I dealt with the issue has indeed acted as a second wound, the pain of which is just as great as that inflicted by the first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement