Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 year old girl restrained Florida

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

He shouldn’t have been there at all is what he should have done.

How do teachers manage disruptive children in other countries?

He was called, he came. What do you think should have happened then instead of calling the police.
    Everyone wants to criticise the teachers and the police but no one can make any suggestions as to how the incident SHOULD have been dealt with.
    Apparently the child’s grandmother came to get her from the police station later.
    Personally I have a problem with that.
    A parent is at work and the school rings to say that your 6 year old is,unfortunately, having a meltdown again ( apparently the child has sleep apnoea and thus has happened before), what do you do? Obviously you, or another adult has to go to the school. There’s no excuses for this.
    If the school rang and said that your child had fallen and broke their leg then you would have to go the school so whats the difference?
    He was fired but not for arresting the child. He was fired because he didn’t follow the protocol. Some of the school staff were uncomfortable but not enough to make a complaint immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

splinter65 wrote: »
    He was called, he came. What do you think should have happened then instead of calling the police.

I’m just going to stop you there. You think this was the only logical thing to do? Really? From the article I added, at least two staff members at the school were not happy with how it was handled. The cop was also fired. Disruptive children are everywhere. Many of us went to school with them. Law enforcement was never anywhere close to required in any instances I was witness to. Because of course it wasn’t. Asking in a faux innocent manner “Why, what else could have been done in this scenario?” - come the fuck on. And this a six year old, not a major physical threat. Restraining would be ludicrously easily and, as others have said, is allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

BattleCorp wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm very conflicted here.

The little girl hit 3 members of staff. You can't let a child get away with that.

Now here's the kicker. What can the teachers do to restrain a child that's trying to hit them? They can do sweet fcukall to be honest because as soon as they put their hand on the child, then they are in trouble.

So, the teachers call the cops. I personally would have called her parents but we don't know the full story, maybe they weren't available to collect the child.

From looking at the video clip, the cop seems to be gentle enough with the child.

Do I think there is any need to restrain a child in this instance? Probably not. But I'm sure the procedure is there to handcuff whoever is being taken away so the cop was probably only following procedure.

I'd prefer to live in a world where 6 year olds don't have to be handcuffed but you can't have kids being allowed to punch people willy nilly with no consequences.

Sounds but the cop was white he gets fired and his mug plastered all over the world.

The teacher in charge there was black the school called the police.

The child had to be restrained think about it.

If the child opened the door and ran out into traffic big problem.

Schools are not allowed enforce rules these days parents do give a hoot.

Just my 2 cents not really that pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sounds but the cop was white he gets fired and his mug plastered all over the world.

What has color got to do with this?

The cop was black. Though maybe that is what you were saying, there’s a typo there. Anyway, it’s not got anything to do with it really, just thought I’d clarify.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »

Very first post
    Black child, black member of staff in background and a black police officer arrives to restrain the child and the tide pod generation of upper class white people are commenting white privilege, racism etc. The biggest recruiters for the far right.

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1232412627428691973?s=21
    Not that I really care that much anyway the Virus thread is the main event here at the moment.;)

The cop was black. Though maybe that is what you were saying, there’s a typo there. Anyway, it’s not got anything to do with it really, just thought I’d clarify.

Just looked again so he was he was pretty light skinned.

Still feel very sorry for him being fired parents passed this brat onto the school and school passed it onto the cops.

Just looked again so he was he was pretty light skinned.

Still feel very sorry for him being fired parents passed this brat onto the school and school passed it onto the cops.

In the video, it’s hard to tell but google him. He’s not particularly light-skinned.

I don’t feel sorry for him. Power-tripping jobsworth.

Parents kind of have to pass their children onto schools. It’s that whole education malarkey.

In the video, it’s hard to tell but google him. He’s not particularly light-skinned.

Do you think he woke up in the morning and said I am going to arrest a bratty six year old girl from school today?

The school called the police.

This cop likely has a wife and kids what about them?

Jesus we really are living in the outrage culture.

Not saying this was the smartest thing he ever did but Jesus his life is ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The officer obviously had some issue when it came to children as he's apparently arrested loads of kids.

Handcuffing a 6 year ffs, what the hell 'murica?
    Its creepy. Two fully grown men needing to handcuff a kid.

They are always doing this to kids ..all kids both genders ..all races. I have seen them. America's cops are creepy and strange.

• Advertisement

Do you think he woke up in the morning and said I am going to arrest a bratty six year old girl from school today?

The school called the police.

This cop likely has a wife and kids what about them?

Jesus we really are living in the outrage culture.

Not saying this was the smartest thing he ever did but Jesus his life is ruined.

What about them? :confused:

To be honest, you sound like the one getting worked up. For someone who apparently doesn’t care.

The school called the police - you know that doesn’t mean the police are compelled to visit the school, right?

I’m just going to stop you there. You think this was the only logical thing to do? Really? From the article I added, at least two staff members at the school were not happy with how it was handled. The cop was also fired. Disruptive children are everywhere. Many of us went to school with them. Law enforcement was never anywhere close to required in any instances I was witness to. Because of course it wasn’t. Asking in a faux innocent manner “Why, what else could have been done in this scenario?” - come the fuck on. And this a six year old, not a major physical threat. Restraining would be ludicrously easily and, as others have said, is allowed.

I don’t know why you’re so upset that you’ve felt the need to curse me.
    I’ll have to conclude it’s because you genuinely have no clue as to what you think the policeman SHOULD have done, and you find that frustrating.
    If the police were called to the school then that must have been part of school protocol when a child becomes out of control.
    There’s no reports of anyone at the school being disciplined for calling the police.
    I’m not commenting either way on that. You’re still not making any suggestion as to what the policeman should have done?
    If the staff weren’t happy then they sure stayed quiet while he put the cable ties on.
    The cop was not fired for arresting the child, cable ties, taking away... he was fired because he didn’t ring a superior before he arrested the child.
    Ok you think the child should have been restrained before the cops were called.
    What kind of restraint do you mean? Restrained how?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Everyone wants to criticise the teachers and the police but no one can make any suggestions as to how the incident SHOULD have been dealt with.
    Apparently the child’s grandmother came to get her from the police station later.
    Personally I have a problem with that.
    A parent is at work and the school rings to say that your 6 year old is,unfortunately, having a meltdown again ( apparently the child has sleep apnoea and thus has happened before), what do you do? Obviously you, or another adult has to go to the school. There’s no excuses for this.
    If the school rang and said that your child had fallen and broke their leg then you would have to go the school so whats the difference?
    He was fired but not for arresting the child. He was fired because he didn’t follow the protocol. Some of the school staff were uncomfortable but not enough to make a complaint immediately.

That's the problem , right there. Also as I understand it he was the "Resource Officer" assigned to the school so he was most likely already on-site or nearby.

The very fact that a primary school needs to have an onsite police officer is chilling enough as a measure of a broken society before you start to contemplate the utter madness of a teacher calling the police for a 6 year old having a tantrum.

Lots of blame to go round there -
    • Incompetent, incapable, under resourced teachers.
    • The Litigious culture meaning that the teacher is possibly terrified to put hands on the kid
    • The clearly wildly incompetent Police officer who decided the best course of action was to arrest a 6 yr old child

You ask "what should he have done once he was called?"

How do you think a Garda here would react to walking into a similar scenario in a local national school here?

Do you imagine them hooking the kid up and putting them in the back of the squad car and then bringing them to the station for printing and mug-shots??

Because I don't - I picture the Garda having a not so quiet word with the Teacher - something along the lines of "What the actual f**k is this all about.. This is not a police matter - Do your bloody job , call the parents/guardians and deal with this through the school disciplinary process. Call us for something like this again and I'll have you charged with wasting police time. I'm out of here!!"

Absolutely nothing whatsoever.

Parents kind of have to pass their children onto schools. It’s that whole education malarkey.

When your child is in danger at school or the source of danger then it’s time for parents to take over. It’s that whole parenting thing.

What about them? :confused:

To be honest, you sound like the one getting worked up. For someone who apparently doesn’t care.

Don't really care that much to be honest.

But if I was on a panel debating if he should be fired or not that is they way I would go.
    Ever watch Judge Judy we all have an opinion on the case when the 5.30 news comes on we have forgot all about it.

Feel sorry for the guy being fired but hey better him than me life goes on.:D

I don’t know why you’re so upset that you’ve felt the need to curse me.
    I’ll have to conclude it’s because you genuinely have no clue as to what you think the policeman SHOULD have done, and you find that frustrating.
    If the police were called to the school then that must have been part of school protocol when a child becomes out of control.
    There’s no reports of anyone at the school being disciplined for calling the police.
    I’m not commenting either way on that. You’re still not making any suggestion as to what the policeman should have done?
    If the staff weren’t happy then they sure stayed quiet while he put the cable ties on.
    The cop was not fired for arresting the child, cable ties, taking away... he was fired because he didn’t ring a superior before he arrested the child.
    Ok you think the child should have been restrained before the cops were called.
    What kind of restraint do you mean? Restrained how?

The officer should have said “This is something the school can resolve itself”. The end.

Maybe people didn’t give you “suggestions” because they couldn’t imagine why they would have to. It’s that common sense thing. It was reported that at least two staff members weren’t happy. One protested.

I’ve been in classrooms with very disruptive fellow classmates. It was always resolved and many were far older and stronger than a six year old.

The officer should have said “This is something the school can resolve itself”. The end.

Maybe people didn’t give you “suggestions” because they couldn’t imagine why they would have to. It’s that common sense thing.

Policeman who is employed in this area of policing walks in and says “sort this out yourself” and walks back out again. 15 minutes later the 6 year old knocks herself out on the edge of a desk while having another unrestrained meltdown because no parent or guardian has come to take her home.
    Who is to blame, the school, the cop or the parent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

What ever happened to calling the kid's parents and suspending her for a few days FFS?
    Most black kids in America have a parent not parents.

Policeman who is employed in this area of policing walks in and says “sort this out yourself” and walks back out again. 15 minutes later the 6 year old knocks herself out on the edge of a desk while having another unrestrained meltdown because no parent or guardian has come to take her home.

A bit of a rock and a hard place big payouts whichever way you cut it I think.

• Advertisement

That is what should have happened, yes.

Resorting to an imaginary scenario (because you couldn’t successfully defend what actually happened) - alrighty then.

The adult she was sitting with seemed to be doing a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Nobody. The child needs compassion and professional care.

Not an arrest and a perp walk.

Can't believe anyone would actually agree or argue that the only available option here for all these adults was to put a six year old child in restraints.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Again - He should not have put a 6 yr old in handcuffs in the back of a police car , nor should he have arrested her , fingerprinted her and had mugshots taken. He's a school resource officer.. Do they not have the concept of "Community policing" there at all???

Every single step in the process is Terrible Public Service.

Terrible Teacher , Terrible School Principal/Administrator , Terrible Police Officer.

Every single adult involved in that ****-show should hang their head in utter abject shame.

And if they were "Following policy" then the drafters of that policy are equally or even more to blame.

The very fact that any of this happened at all is simply appalling - jumping in to the last step or two of it and trying to justify or explain that single element is a cop out and a diversion to be honest.

Every single step that led to that scenario being handled in that fashion is utterly appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

What is happening American society. The regular police appear to act more like a military force. Guns blazing at every opportunity.
    The level of aggression is staggering and totally counter productive

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Again - He should not have put a 6 yr old in handcuffs in the back of a police car , nor should he have arrested her , fingerprinted her and had mugshots taken. He's a school resource officer.. Do they not have the concept of "Community policing" there at all???

Terrible Teacher , Terrible School Principal/Administrator , Terrible Police Officer.

Every single adult involved in that ****-show should hang their head in utter abject shame.

And if they were "Following policy" then the drafters of that policy are equally or even more to blame.

The very fact that any of this happened at all is simply appalling - jumping in to the last step or two of it and trying to justify or explain that single element is a cop out and a diversion to be honest.

Every single step that led to that scenario being handled in that fashion is utterly appalling.

Lucky it did not end up in a shootout.:D

Being serious we are living in a country that has dead babies buried in a mass graves and young children were never very safe here in Ireland.

The UK let countless girls be raped by Muslim gangs for the sake of Political Correctness.

Before we have a go at the USA maybe we should turn our attention a bit closer to home?

Nobody. The child needs compassion and professional care.

Not an arrest and a perp walk.

Can't believe anyone would actually agree or argue that the only available option here for all these adults was to put a six year old child in restraints.
    Quin_Dub wrote: »

Both great posts.

The bolded bit - you just know some Johnny Big Balls will probably roll in here to say that the six year old girl doesn’t deserve compassion because she’s a brat (we assume).

A bit of a rock and a hard place big payouts whichever way you cut it I think.

Nobody seems to want to say that this child should have been collected by an adult family member long before a policeman got involved. It’s as if criticising parents is a total no no.
    Little lady attacking physically attacking people at school? Home you go.

That is what should have happened, yes.

Resorting to an imaginary scenario (because you couldn’t successfully defend what actually happened) - alrighty then.

The adult she was sitting with seemed to be doing a good job.

You can’t tell me who would be to blame if the child’s behaviour escalated and she or someone else got hurt?
    Why is that?
    Also you seem to think that it’s satisfactory and completely acceptable for a child to go to school and spend the day in isolation being read to by a member of staff. Should all disruptive children get this treatment? Who will pay for this?

Nobody seems to want to say that this child should have been collected by an adult family member long before a policeman got involved. It’s as if criticising parents is a total no no.
    Little lady attacking physically attacking people at school? Home you go.

People probably aren’t saying it because it’s obvious. Yes, obviously a parent or guardian should have picked her up. If nobody was available to do so, that’s really sad for the little girl. Why, of course the next step is to arrest her. Just what a potentially vulnerable child needs.
    You can’t tell me who would be to blame if the child’s behaviour escalated and she or someone else got hurt?
    Why is that?
    Also you seem to think that it’s satisfactory and completely acceptable for a child to go to school and spend the day in isolation being read to by a member of staff. Should all disruptive children get this treatment? Who will pay for this?

The child seemed pretty calm when the cop arrived. So let’s stick to the scenario that we know about.

Splinter, why do you think people are absolving the parents? If the parents are awful, is arresting the young child in a bad home situation the right thing to do? How does that help the child who may be a victim of bad parenting? Let’s demonise her on top of everything else. That makes the kind of sense that doesn’t.

• Advertisement

People probably aren’t saying it because it’s obvious. Yes, obviously a parent or guardian should have picked her up. If nobody was available to do so, that’s really sad for the little girl. Why, of course the next step is to arrest her. Just what a potentially vulnerable child needs.

No I don’t think it was obvious to you at all, pardon the pun. Asking parents to parent and make their child their priority, the fact that teachers and other authority figures are only responsible for your child in a very secondary way, that you the parent are actually responsible for your child and how she/he behaves is now a nonsense idea to lots of people and I think you might be one of them.

Advertisement