Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 year old girl restrained Florida

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

This is absolutely appalling. Glad to hear he was fired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

splinter65 wrote: »
    No I don’t think it was obvious to you at all, pardon the pun. Asking parents to parent and make their child their priority, the fact that teachers and other authority figures are only responsible for your child in a very secondary way, that you the parent are actually responsible for your child and how she/he behaves is now a nonsense idea to lots of people and I think you might be one of them.

Are you telling me what I’m thinking? How did you learn to read my thoughts? That’s quite the skill.

This child’s parents obviously didn’t prioritise her. So, apparently the next logical step is to arrest her, the blameless person in this scenario.

I’m happy enough to keep drawing this out, to be honest. You’re doing yourself no favours here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This cop likely has a wife and kids what about them?

Ex Wife and apparently he was disciplined before for injuring his own 7 year old son.
    Following Turner’s firing, which happened days after Kaia’s arrest was covered by outlets across the country, more details about the officer’s 23-year career with the Orlando Police Department were revealed. As the Sentinel reports, Turner was disciplined no less than seven times for violating department policy, including injuring his 7-year-old son. Records show Turner, who retired last year and was working in OPD’s Reserve Unit when he arrested Kaia, was also accused of racial profiling and sending threatening texts to his ex-wife

He tried to break his record at the same school in another incident.
    t was the second time that day Officer Turner arrested a child (he also attempted to arrest a 6-year-old boy at the same school, but employees prevented the arrest from being completed—details of that arrest have not been made public).

Like I said when I saw the video this absolute fúcktárd should not be let near adults let alone children.

So in reality we are dealing with an unhinged loon who zip tied a 6 year old girl for throwing a tantrum.

She had to be lifted into the back of the squad car FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

Do you think he woke up in the morning and said I am going to arrest a bratty six year old girl from school today?

Maybe he did. It wasn't the first time he arrested a child. In fact he arrested two children that day. Maybe he said to himself, "I'm going to arrest someone today, as I've done so every day for the last 23 years, and it don't matter to me whether she's 6 or 60."

https://reason.com/2020/02/25/video-orlando-cops-arrest-crying-six-year-old-girl/

"He told them he had arrested 6,000 people in his career—the youngest, to that point, was 7. When school employees told him Kaia was 6, not 8 like he thought, he did not seem concerned.

"Now she has broken the record," he said.

In fact, Turner ARRESTED ANOTHER SIX-YEAR OLD in an unrelated incident THAT SAME DAY."

Sounds like a right scumbag/psycho.
    And his life isn't ruined. He was semi retired anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

hgfj wrote: »
    Maybe he did. It wasn't the first time he arrested a child. In fact he arrested two children that day. Maybe he said to himself, "I'm going to arrest someone today, as I've done so every day for the last 23 years, and it don't matter to me whether she's 6 or 60."

https://reason.com/2020/02/25/video-orlando-cops-arrest-crying-six-year-old-girl/

"He told them he had arrested 6,000 people in his career—the youngest, to that point, was 7. When school employees told him Kaia was 6, not 8 like he thought, he did not seem concerned.

"Now she has broken the record," he said.

In fact, Turner ARRESTED ANOTHER SIX-YEAR OLD in an unrelated incident THAT SAME DAY."

Sounds like a right scumbag/psycho.

Ok there is something wrong with this guy why is he only getting fired now?

• Advertisement

No I don’t think it was obvious to you at all, pardon the pun. Asking parents to parent and make their child their priority, the fact that teachers and other authority figures are only responsible for your child in a very secondary way, that you the parent are actually responsible for your child and how she/he behaves is now a nonsense idea to lots of people and I think you might be one of them.

Erm, in most countries teachers effectively become guardians during school hours. Teachers are trained to deal with students and children depending on the situation do have special needs or don't necessarily behave within the absolute norm of behaviour.

Eg a friend of mine has a s on the autism spectrum, the child is only around 6/7 at the moment, both the mother and father regularly interact with the school around his behavior which can occasionally be violent. The school is perfectly able to cope with this, they have not felt an urge to call the Gardaí on him.

Spree killings in schools tend to be something that is associated with the US and if anything, the rest of the western world seems to be far more able to cope with violent behaviour than the US. The US seems to have a problem at every level including at the level of police. So honestly, cable tying children is unlikely to improve anything outside of highlighting general incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Are you telling me what I’m thinking? How did you learn to read my thoughts? That’s quite the skill.

This child’s parents obviously didn’t prioritise her. So, apparently the next logical step is to arrest her, the blameless person in this scenario.

I’m happy enough to keep drawing this out, to be honest. You’re doing yourself no favours here.

I have no idea why you’re so aggressive. It’s almost as if you feel other people have to be put back in their box when they don’t agree with you. You felt it was necessary to curse me in your second response to me. I’m not interested in wether you want to draw anything out or not. I’m hoping that the “doing yourself no favours” quip is not some kind of pointless threat?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Erm, in most countries teachers effectively become guardians during school hours. Teachers are trained to deal with students and children depending on the situation do have special needs or don't necessarily behave within the absolute norm of behaviour.

Eg a friend of mine has a s on the autism spectrum, the child is only around 6/7 at the moment, both the mother and father regularly interact with the school around his behavior which can occasionally be violent. The school is perfectly able to cope with this, they have not felt an urge to call the Gardaí on him.

Spree killings in schools tend to be something that is associated with the US and if anything, the rest of the western world seems to be far more able to cope with violent behaviour than the US. The US seems to have a problem at every level including at the level of police. So honestly, cable tying children is unlikely to improve anything outside of highlighting general incompetence.

There’s no suggestion that this child is on any spectrum. When a child has a diagnosis like that then parents and the school work together so that all of the pupils can learn and be safe at the same time.
    If my child is at risk of being hurt by another child who is having an episode at school then I expect the parent of the child to come to the school and take the child away.
    Apparently this child suffers from sleep apnoea which causes her to misbehave. She was misbehaving and her parent should have come and taken her home.
    It’s terrible to see the child upset but ultimately it’s the parents responsibility.

I have no idea why you’re so aggressive. It’s almost as if you feel other people have to be put back in their box when they don’t agree with you. You felt it was necessary to curse me in your second response to me. I’m not interested in wether you want to draw anything out or not. I’m hoping that the “doing yourself no favours” quip is not some kind of pointless threat?

Oh don’t be such a delicate doily.

Were the parents actually contracted by the school regarding the incident, I can't find anything saying that they were.

As for the teaching staff not stopping her physically while she was lashing out apparently the vice principal did

https://globalnews.ca/news/6597679/police-arrest-girl-handcuffs/

“Kaia became aggressive, hitting me with her hands in the chest and stomach area,” the assistant principal said in a statement obtained by CNN. “I restrained her by holding her forearms.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There’s no suggestion that this child is on any spectrum. When a child has a diagnosis like that then parents and the school work together so that all of the pupils can learn and be safe at the same time.
    If my child is at risk of being hurt by another child who is having an episode at school then I expect the parent of the child to come to the school and take the child away.
    Apparently this child suffers from sleep apnoea which causes her to misbehave. She was misbehaving and her parent should have come and taken her home.
    It’s terrible to see the child upset but ultimately it’s the parents responsibility.

For some reason you have just decided the family were contacted and just didn't bother showing up.

What are basing that on.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's this really weird "scared straight" obsession in the US. The concept isn't unique to the US of course. We all have a tendency to believe that someone's behaviour can change if they sufficiently get the sh1t scared out of them.

It can, but it's very rare.

In the US though they take it quite seriously. It's why they believe sending thugs to the army will "sort them out" (it doesn't), why their prison system is something from the third world, why they still execute people (even though it doesn't do anything), and why they have intimidating individuals with uniforms and guns patrolling primary school hallways and arresting children.

Americans believe authority is derived from fear, and lawfulness enforced through fear.

There's a forum on reddit called, "Am I the Asshole" (AITA) that's gold for this stuff. People post their stories and look for other people to validate their opinion, or declare, "Actually you're an asshole".

There was one a couple of days ago where a guy said he knew his teenage daughter was stealing money from her mother's purse. Or rather, taking more money than she was supposed to for her lunch.
    So he called the local cops to go down to the school and "scare her straight" in front of all her friends.

Now, on initial reading you might think, "Yeah, OK, I mean if this has been a pattern of behaviour, she's always in trouble, always stealing, breaking the law, etc., then maybe this is a reasonable last-ditch effort to save her".

But it was actually the guy's very first port of call. Didn't confront the daughter, didn't even speak to his wife. Called the local bored cops who happily obliged.
    Turned out she'd been taking the extra money to pay off a bully and buy lunch for a mate who's family had no money. But she had to reveal this in front of her entire class with a cop staring her down.

Americans are nuts.

I mean, could you imagine ringing the local Gards like that. They'd quicker come down to you and tell you to cop the fck on, do some parenting and stop wasting garda time.

Hush now, don't be silly.

Anyone with eyes could see the nature of this cop and he has history.

https://www.theroot.com/florida-officer-who-detained-a-6-year-old-for-throwing-1841917176

"Turner was disciplined no less than seven times for violating department policy, including injuring his 7-year-old son. Records show Turner, who retired last year and was working in OPD’s Reserve Unit when he arrested Kaia, was also accused of racial profiling and sending threatening texts to his ex-wife."

You do understand that internal discipline is not criminal don't you?

You do understand that internal discipline is not criminal don't you?

I don’t see any references in the post you quoted to the disciplinary actions against him being criminal in nature. It’s pretty clear from super furry’s post that he was pointing out that the cop was subject to disciplinary action by his employers. No mention of him being charged with anything criminal. Violating department policy seven times is hardly a glowing record, is it?

I dont intend ever to set foot in the United States again, except for maybe Hawaii

I don’t see any references in the post you quoted to the disciplinary actions against him being criminal in nature. It’s pretty clear from super furry’s post that he was pointing out that the cop was subject to disciplinary action by his employers. No mention of him being charged with anything criminal. Violating department policy seven times is hardly a glowing record, is it?

Indeed not but that was responding to my comment about the cop not being prosecuted as he hasn't committed a crime which in turn was in reply to a comment made on page 1 which I quoted where that user suggested the cop should be prosecuted.

So:
    User on page 1 comments that cop should be in jail

I reply that he didn't commit a crime and it's silly to start demanding criminal prosecutions for discipline matters.

Super furry then told me I was being silly and should be quiet and pointed to his previous discipline issues as proof.

I again pointed out that discipline is not grounds for criminal prosecutions.

Then you commented and here we are.

Advertisement