Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can/Should a mediator be appointed for Government appointment talks?

Options
  • 26-02-2020 7:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,169 ✭✭✭✭

So it seems to me like at the moment we are heading for another election, because all I'm hearing is FF say SF said this insult and won't talk, SF say an insult back and on it goes.
    I don't think SF will be able to unite every other party purely on the premise that we all hate the other two. Greens with Solidarity PBP? And what I'm now calling southern SDLP (Social Democrats, Labour Parties) also agreeing with each other?
    SF will make gains in another election I think that's clear but will it be enough to break the deadlock.
    That's why I think somebody from outside the state (I was going to suggest the President or one of the independents who abstained from all Taoiseach nominations but some might still reckon they have bias in this) should be appointed to sit between the 3 (or 2 if FG are sure they want to stay out) and get us closer to a deal for Government. At this stage, I just want us closer to ending the trolley crisis and the homeless situation. I don't care about the egos anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It ll probably be ffg and others, I wouldn't overly worry about it, those lads don't want to give up power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Simple solution... Tell them they won't get paid unless they form a government, I'm sure all issues will find a solution quickly.

*I know it's probably illegal and not possible to administer but an interesting concept anyway.

*I know it's probably illegal and not possible to administer but an interesting concept anyway.

Not really, they d probably just all leave politics and do something else, it won't happen anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Not really, they d probably just all leave politics and do something else, it won't happen anyway

In most cases that would be no bad thing at all.

McMurphy wrote: »
    In most cases that would be no bad thing at all.

maybe, but would probably destabilize our political system a lot to potentially dangerous levels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It ll probably be ffg and others, I wouldn't overly worry about it, those lads don't want to give up power

What they want can only reflect what people voted for.

Yes the left increased their vote, but to hear some SF have a majority and the big meanies in the playground aren’t playing fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

While in the medium term this is bad, in the long term it'll be the final death throes for FFG, probably be worth it the long run. Might take out the Green Party as well. Win win.

_Brian wrote: »
    What they want can only reflect what people voted for.

Yes the left increased their vote, but to hear some SF have a majority and the big meanies in the playground aren’t playing fair.

yes and no, theres clearly big politics at play here also, its a power game, the voice of the electorate is an element in this game
    While in the medium term this is bad, in the long term it'll be the final death throes for FFG, probably be worth it the long run. Might take out the Green Party as well. Win win.

maybe, maybe not, who knows, i suspect ffg will be around for a long time yet, playing a significant part in governance, i wouldnt get overly excited about their demise

• Registered Users Posts: 13,169 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You've all sort of deviated from my original point. Imagine this was a trade dispute. (it kind of is) at this point the Labour court would get involved. Do you think we should put someone in the middle of SF and FF in order to hammer out a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

flazio wrote: »
    So it seems to me like at the moment we are heading for another election, because all I'm hearing is FF say SF said this insult and won't talk, SF say an insult back and on it goes.
    I don't think SF will be able to unite every other party purely on the premise that we all hate the other two. Greens with Solidarity PBP? And what I'm now calling southern SDLP (Social Democrats, Labour Parties) also agreeing with each other?
    SF will make gains in another election I think that's clear but will it be enough to break the deadlock.
    That's why I think somebody from outside the state (I was going to suggest the President or one of the independents who abstained from all Taoiseach nominations but some might still reckon they have bias in this) should be appointed to sit between the 3 (or 2 if FG are sure they want to stay out) and get us closer to a deal for Government. At this stage, I just want us closer to ending the trolley crisis and the homeless situation. I don't care about the egos anymore.
    Nothing is predictable in a new election. Who did you have in mind for mediator, given that any deal would have to go the people not in the room, party members, for approval?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You've all sort of deviated from my original point. Imagine this was a trade dispute. (it kind of is) at this point the Labour court would get involved. Do you think we should put someone in the middle of SF and FF in order to hammer out a deal.
    Hey, SF have got a Bee Gee!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There’s a process. It’s early days yet. Took 70 days last time out. If we need another election we can have one.
    Allot of what is going on is just posturing, not wanting to tip their hand or weaken their position in negotiations. I’d expect as we become closer to a repeat election thentalking will get more serious.

Advertisement