Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compensation paid on the basis proximity to Windfarm may be a health threat

Options
  • 26-02-2020 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭

In a stunning decision sure to have repercussions and devoid of any scientific basis, an irish judge awarded damages to a family that claimed a windfarm, 700m from their home caused them injury.
    Three children who allegedly became ill and had to move out of their family home as a result of disturbance from a nearby wind farm have secured a total €225,000 as settlement of their High Court damages claims.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/children-who-were-made-ill-by-wind-farm-near-their-home-get-225000-38991415.html

Doubtless this opens a floodgate of similar claims.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

BluePlanet wrote: »
    In a stunning decision sure to have repercussions and devoid of any scientific basis, an irish judge awarded damages to a family that claimed a windfarm, 700m from their home caused them injury.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/children-who-were-made-ill-by-wind-farm-near-their-home-get-225000-38991415.html

Doubtless this opens a floodgate of similar claims.

I don't normally agree with the judiciary but glad to hear this. Not a fan of these windfarms. They're loud, a blight on the scenery and possibly a public health hazard.

I'm sure lots of jackeens will be on now to.tell me I'm wrong in the comfort of knowing they'll never have to live near them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The article indicates it was settled out of court. Did I misunderstand something??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

OP is totally wrong
    The defendants had denied all the claims. The case yesterday came before Ms Justice Leonie Reynolds, who was told by John Rogers SC, for the Kellehers, the case had been settled.

The defendants, in denying the claims, said the wind farm was operated in a lawful manner. Mr Rogers said the settlement arose following mediation between the parties conducted by retired Judge Paul Gilligan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

This is a classic example fo how journalism has fallen to the gutter.

They have a click bait story. Badly written. Someone half reads it and then screams on boards "Irish Judge decides proximity to Windfarm is a health threat"

May I suggest to the OP you read the article fully, understand the level of poor journalism and realise that the judge #1 was a retired judge and acting as a mediator. #2 - no confirmation of health risk has been mentioned. #3 Understand the mind is powerful and the power of suggestion is significant.

So here's the reality.

These people were possibly told that this wind farm would affect them by some nimbys. They believed it and it became an obsession and their mental state started to cause health issues. A settlement was reached with a relatively small amount paid out for disturbance.

Similar story a few years ago when high powered electricity pylons were erected in the midlands. Again nimbys put it in the mind of a couple that it wold cause heath issues. She believed these fools and her mental state changed and she claimed all sorts of ailments. - She claimed these went away almost immediately if she stayed elsewhere.

ESB Networks had no power going through those lines for about 6 weeks without saying anything but she still got all the ailments.

People with agendas will try and exert control over people without any regard for their health. These are usually busy body nimbys and unfortunately you get them a lot in rural areas where they want to be seen as the sage of the area.

Try and cut these people down and the sheep that follow them will bleat you out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭facehugger99

silver2020 wrote: »
    A settlement was reached with a relatively small amount paid out for disturbance.

€225k according to the article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,673 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And parts of the case are still outstanding. The children's case has been settled, the parents case not.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

That's sizeable.
    Expect more cases to follow.

While I'm all for sustainability, I am not sure about all of these wind farms popping up all over the place in the Irish countryside. There are a number of questions to be answered e.g. health risks, the non-recyclable massive turbine blades and the length of time that they last, the initial costs, the cost/benefit of the wind farms, and has it become more of a visual effect of Ireland trying to lower their carbon footprint more than a real solution to sustainable energy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I don't normally agree with the judiciary but glad to hear this. Not a fan of these windfarms. They're loud, a blight on the scenery and possibly a public health hazard.

I'm sure lots of jackeens will be on now to.tell me I'm wrong in the comfort of knowing they'll never have to live near them.

I live beside a wind farm and you are full of shite.

TBH it's gas watching all the ex-bnm office furniture in the midlands viciously opposing windfarms because "they'll wreck the view and scenery" as if depleting the bog and filling it back up with rubbish was a good thing.

This payout is a joke, I sincerely hope this is not a floodgates moment. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Read this yesterday:

https://www.thejournal.ie/high-court-siblings-settle-wind-farm-action-5021713-Feb2020/

Surprised it wasn't posted already

3 children aged 17, 15 and 10 received a combined (out of court) settlement of €225,000 over alleged illnesses caused by a wind farm situated 700m from where they lived.

It was alleged that noise, vibration and light flicker from the farm (which went into operation in early 2016) caused nosebleeds, ear aches, skin rashes, swollen and painful hands, loss of power in their limbs, sleep disturbance, and headaches.

They ended up moving 8 miles away.
    Their parents case has been postponed until March.

2 things from this:
    1: I am very surprised the Energy company settled, given the claimants injuries.
    2: This is a massive hit to "Green Energy" in Ireland, every Tom, Dick and Harry is going to cite this case now in their claims against wind turbines/farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

House near us gets shadow flicker from turbines, have to say it would drive me nuts if it were my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Surprised it wasn't posted already
    It was ...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058057218

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Settled without admission of liability is usually shorthand for "how much can we pay to make this go away".

It's also worth remembering that while they mention the name of the company as paying out, it's usually an insurer who pays out on their behalf and has been making a call on it.

The insurance company will run some figures that will work out how much the legal costs will be versus the likelihood that they will be able to recoup those costs from the family.

Then the team assess it and work out that paying the family €225,000 to fvck off is cheaper than defending the case and having it dismissed.

They don't care what precedent it sets, it's all about minimising the cost of this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,673 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

TBH it's gas watching all the ex-bnm office furniture in the midlands viciously opposing windfarms because "they'll wreck the view and scenery" as if depleting the bog and filling it back up with rubbish was a good thing.

I suspect that there are other issues at play here. There must have been an issue with the wind farm. It is unlikely a wind farm company would have settled unless they had made errors.

This may only be a one off case.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So what's your house value like? Appreciating?

So what's your house value like? Appreciating?

Not sure tbh, I don't own it.

What do property values have to do with anything anyway? :confused:

Not sure tbh, I don't own it.

What do property values have to do with anything anyway? :confused:

It's not really hard to figure out, I live within 3 miles of a couple of windturbines. No effect on the value on my home but I do know it has effected the value and quality of life of a few people I know that live within close proximity to them. One of the houses is a lovely dormer bungalow which has sat on the market for over 6 years, no offers strange when there is such a demand for housing locally. Wonder what the reason could be?

It's not really hard to figure out, I live within 3 miles of a couple of windturbines. No effect on the value on my home but I do know it has effected the value and quality of life of a few people I know that live within close proximity to them. One of the houses is a lovely dormer bungalow which has sat on the market for over 6 years, no offers strange when there is such a demand for housing locally. Wonder what the reason could be?

Figure what out? Are we all supposed to be guaranteed a certain value for our houses now?

Quality of life, would like to hear more on this.

I know plenty folk who didn't have a motorway beside them when they built/bought their houses, and now they do. Should we ban motorways?

I wonder have they got their house priced too high, perhaps they should lower it - might get an offer that way.

Figure what out? Are we all supposed to be guaranteed a certain value for our houses now?

Since you don't own the house value is of no concern to you, but to home owners it is particularly if they ever wish to sell.
    Quality of life, would like to hear more on this.

The people I know refer to flicker during bright days and say it's annoying , they also maintain they hear a low background buzz. No interest in calling them liars as I never stay at their home long enough to get bothered by it.
    I know plenty folk who didn't have a motorway beside them when they built/bought their houses, and now they do. Should we ban motorways?

That's awesome but this is about wind turbines.
    I wonder have they got their house priced too high, perhaps they should lower it - might get an offer that way.

Actually the house is 15k below homes of similar spec and location, excluding the wind turbine.

Actually the house is 15k below homes of similar spec and location, excluding the wind turbine.

Possibly something to do with the turbine so - but tell me, who said anyone is guaranteed a value on a property?

• Advertisement

Possibly something to do with the turbine so - but tell me, who said anyone is guaranteed a value on a property?

Let me know your thoughts when you become a home owner.

Let me know your thoughts when you become a home owner.

I will be one, very soon! and I'm under no illusion that I will be guaranteed any kind of value on it in the future. It's not an investment, it's a house.

If I wanted guaranteed values I'd be buying prize bonds or something - not houses.

Pretty much the textbook definition of a mé féiner above, "don't build anything near me because I might want to sell my house sometime and I feel entitled to a high price for it"

I will be one, very soon! and I'm under no illusion that I will be guaranteed any kind of value on it in the future. It's not an investment, it's a house.

Great stuff, excellent value to be had close to a windfarm, floodplane etc.

Great stuff, excellent value to be had close to a windfarm, floodplane .

what?

Have you dropped all the straws?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭facehugger99

There's a sizable cohort in this country, who want every mod-con available to them but will whinge and whine if a necessary part of the underlying infrastructure, to support their modern lives, is placed within a few miles of them.

There's a sizable cohort in this country, who want every mod-con available to them but will whinge and whine if a necessary part of the underlying infrastructure, to support their modern lives, is placed within a few miles of them.

In addition - They want cheap purchase prices for houses, and high selling prices for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They'll wreck the scenery! Says someone living in a pink mansion on the top of a hill.

what?

Have you dropped all the straws?

No straws dude but if you think the value of a house beside a wind turbine is not adversely affected you are being wantonly naive.
    Anyway best of luck with your property purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Thread title should be charged IMO. Irish judge didn’t decide anything - more garbage attacks on the judicially which are baseless.

• Advertisement

No straws dude but if you think the value of a house beside a wind turbine is not adversely affected you are being wantonly naive.
    Anyway best of luck with your property purchase.

I accepted it can be affected in an earlier post sure, I'm still waiting to be told why that should be anyone's concern other than the property owner themselves.

Again, if they wanted a solid investment, they should not have picked a house.

Advertisement