Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corona Virus and events

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Sacksian wrote: »
    Looks like the track season begins and ends next Wednesday.

Moyne AC meet still going ahead within the 200 guidelines. Got myself an entry thankfully. The hottest ticket in town now it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Moyne AC meet still going ahead within the 200 guidelines. Got myself an entry thankfully. The hottest ticket in town now it seems.

Seems to have star studded fields lined up.

I hope to go up to watch it.

Ceepo wrote: »
    Seems to have star studded fields lined up.

I hope to go up to watch it.

It's going to be streamed online. They surely can't be allowing spectators given the 200 limit.

It's going to be streamed online. They surely can't be allowing spectators given the 200 limit.

That is true.
    However I don't live that far from there and I know a gap in the ditch ;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Dublin graded saying they're reviewing also, will know later hopefully...

If they were working off the assumption that it's 200 people outdoors, then it's potentially under threat.

It comes down to whether they go with the argument that most athletes will be just there for their race and then leave, and that there'll never be more than 200 people present but, I think between the entries and officials, you're probably getting close to an expected audience of 200.

Obviously, spectators won't be encouraged - are coaches/parents allowed turn up?! And, once you get into those sort of judgement calls, maybe the cautious thing to do is cancel.

I'm happy either way - race next Wednesday or train through until xc (2021/22!).

• Advertisement

Update from Moyne AC

📣📣Moyne AC Summer Games Update📣📣

Following on from the Government's decision last night to keep numbers at outdoor events to 200 people, Moyne AC has decided that our event on July 25th will still go ahead however it will be an athletes and coaches only event. We ask that no spectators arrive on the day as we will be unable to allow you entry.
    Moyne AC is delighted however to announce that our entire programme will be streamed live on our Facebook Page from 3pm.
    Strict Covid 19 regulations will be in place for all our athletes, with all athletes receiving an email on this in the coming days. We thank everyone for their patience at this time and we look forward to still hosting our event on the 25th!
    Please share!

Sacksian wrote: »
    If they were working off the assumption that it's 200 people outdoors, then it's potentially under threat.

It comes down to whether they go with the argument that most athletes will be just there for their race and then leave, and that there'll never be more than 200 people present but, I think between the entries and officials, you're probably getting close to an expected audience of 200.

Obviously, spectators won't be encouraged - are coaches/parents allowed turn up?! And, once you get into those sort of judgement calls, maybe the cautious thing to do is cancel.

I'm happy either way - race next Wednesday or train through until xc (2021/22!).

I've heard they were working off 250, not 200. Poor oversight if that's true.

Update from Moyne AC

📣📣Moyne AC Summer Games Update📣📣

Following on from the Government's decision last night to keep numbers at outdoor events to 200 people, Moyne AC has decided that our event on July 25th will still go ahead however it will be an athletes and coaches only event. We ask that no spectators arrive on the day as we will be unable to allow you entry.
    Moyne AC is delighted however to announce that our entire programme will be streamed live on our Facebook Page from 3pm.
    Strict Covid 19 regulations will be in place for all our athletes, with all athletes receiving an email on this in the coming days. We thank everyone for their patience at this time and we look forward to still hosting our event on the 25th!
    Please share!

Great work by Moyne AC. Really looking forward to it now.

Great work by Moyne AC. Really looking forward to it now.

Yes indeed, great work from a very small rural club. Outstanding facilities to have in a small village..
    Great credit to the club and community

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'm guessing they have a sugar daddy or won the lotto cause that's about the only thing that makes sense, the facility looks bigger than the town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I'm guessing they have a sugar daddy or won the lotto cause that's about the only thing that makes sense, the facility looks bigger than the town

Mike Lowry country!!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Mike Lowry country!!!!

That's ture but very little to do with him.

Lisheen mine was just up to road, and was very good to the local communities. Reported to have gifted a few Bob when it closed

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisheen_Mine

That aside the club have a great committee and the local community are great to support events as well as fund raise.

I've been to a good few of the events over the years. Always a very friendly atmosphere around the place..

The very best of luck to them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Dub graded going ahead as planned

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Trampas wrote: »

That is some daft regulations for running alright. Maximum of 4 people racing an 800m and not sure how many in the dual 1500m races starting at the same time on opposite sides of the track, but it's not a race and totally pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

robinph wrote: »
    That is some daft regulations for running alright. Maximum of 4 people racing an 800m and not sure how many in the dual 1500m races starting at the same time on opposite sides of the track, but it's not a race and totally pointless.

Looks reasonable to me, to be honest - working within the restrictions, and why wouldn’t they be conservative, given the less than stellar handling of the crisis to date over there? Fair play to EA.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Murph_D wrote: »
    Looks reasonable to me, to be honest - working within the restrictions, and why wouldn’t they be conservative, given the less than stellar handling of the crisis to date over there? Fair play to EA.

Would be more reasonable to admit that they can't allow racing to happen rather that allow the government on to claim that it's able to restart competitive sports. 4 people running 800m in lanes all the way is not a race, 2 people starting a 1500m on opposite sides of the track is not racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Would be more reasonable to admit that they can't allow racing to happen rather that allow the government on to claim that it's able to restart competitive sports. 4 people running 800m in lanes all the way is not a race, 2 people starting a 1500m on opposite sides of the track is not racing.

I see they won't let women race the 5k

Why should sprinters and field event athletes suffer then? Your proposal is to bin everything because the middle distance events are run in an unconventional manner.

Why should sprinters and field event athletes suffer then? Your proposal is to bin everything because the middle distance events are run in an unconventional manner.

No, 4 people racing a 100m is very nearly as pointless... Other than you can at least still tell who is winning as normal.

Not seeing the problem with 8 people running in a straight line together. So long as they don't hug at the end then there really is no risk during the 100m they are running only a meter apart.

Didn't read the regulations about field events, but not sure what they need to do other than put their seats further apart from each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Is it me or is Northern Ireland Athletics doing a much better job than the AAI?
    Would not be the first time that things go awry (e.g. Football Association of Ireland, Irish Olympic Committee)

I see they won't let women race the 5k

Just seen a new thing that they might ignore the distancing requirements for races up to 15 minutes in duration... But they would still for some reason only allow running in every other lane for up to 800m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Just seen a new thing that they might ignore the distancing requirements for races up to 15 minutes in duration... But they would still for some reason only allow running in every other lane for up to 800m.

It's all bollocks anyway.

The likelihood of catching the virus from a runner while running outside is minuscule.

Enclosed place is the problem: that's why flu cases explode in the winter, that's why things will get much worse unless you stay the **** out of enclosed spaces.

No, 4 people racing a 100m is very nearly as pointless... Other than you can at least still tell who is winning as normal.

Not seeing the problem with 8 people running in a straight line together. So long as they don't hug at the end then there really is no risk during the 100m they are running only a meter apart.

Didn't read the regulations about field events, but not sure what they need to do other than put their seats further apart from each other.

Why is 4 people running in a sprint race pointless? Everyone gets a time and is in a proper race with each other. The fundamentals of the race is no different. I'd happily run in a race like that if I had to.

Why is 4 people running in a sprint race pointless? Everyone gets a time and is in a proper race with each other. The fundamentals of the race is no different. I'd happily run in a race like that if I had to.

You missed the nearly bit.

100m and 200m it's just a 50% drop in numbers and the races are over quick enough you can get the next one going soon enough. 400m it is also a 50% drop in numbers but for no gain as everyone is distanced for all but the last 80m anyway, and then only if they have all run exactly the same speed for the duration.

Making running in every other lane and all the way round for the likes of 800m is stupid and achieves nothing.

You missed the nearly bit.

100m and 200m it's just a 50% drop in numbers and the races are over quick enough you can get the next one going soon enough. 400m it is also a 50% drop in numbers but for no gain as everyone is distanced for all but the last 80m anyway, and then only if they have all run exactly the same speed for the duration.

Making running in every other lane and all the way round for the likes of 800m is stupid and achieves nothing.

But it's not "nearly" as pointless. Not even close. You've obviously not run in many sprint races. Having 4 in a race instead of 8 does not change the fundamentals of a sprint race. The race is still the same, just with less people in it. Running an 800m in lanes or a 1500m like some sort of cycling persuit type time trial is a completely different set up to what those events normally look like.

Very few sprinters will care if they've got 3 instead of 7 competitors as long as they've got starting blocks, have a genuine race and are electronically timed.

Middle distance runners on the other hand would look at this majey uppy setup as a pile of pants.

Totally different.

Good luck anyone running the graded, very jealous

But it's not "nearly" as pointless. Not even close. You've obviously not run in many sprint races. Having 4 in a race instead of 8 does not change the fundamentals of a sprint race. The race is still the same, just with less people in it. Running an 800m in lanes or a 1500m like some sort of cycling persuit type time trial is a completely different set up to what those events normally look like.

Very few sprinters will care if they've got 3 instead of 7 competitors as long as they've got starting blocks, have a genuine race and are electronically timed.

Middle distance runners on the other hand would look at this majey uppy setup as a pile of pants.

Totally different.

I'll have you know I am the former 11th ranked V35 in the UK over 100m. :D
    OK, so there was clearly only 10 other V35's ever bothered to run a 100m in that entire year and my time was probably 2-3 seconds slower than all of them, and that was the only time I ran 100m, and I ran an 800m and 3000m race the same evening as well.

It is pretty pointless to be putting people running in lanes so far apart. The race itself may not be pointless and barely any different from normal for sprinters who are only ever really racing the clock anyway. Or by the time you realise there is someone ahead of you or chasing you down it's too late to do a whole lot about it in a sprint as you've already lost.

100m, 200m and 400m should just be run as per normal.

800m should be as per normal, but probably don't put two people in a single lane any more.
    1500m should be run as per normal, but possibly split the field in two for the first bend as they do on very busy races and do that at a lower threshold of numbers n the field.
    Those changes are only to do with limiting the point where there is a tiny risk where people are milling around before the start. During the race it's really irrelevant doing any daft changes for social distancing. Get rid of pacemakers if they are really concerned about people following behind the same person for 1 second too long, but otherwise in a race there is minimal risk of passing anything along and nobody is actually following in the wake of someone for the whole duration anyway as people chop and change places.

I'll have you know I am the former 11th ranked V35 in the UK over 100m. :D
    OK, so there was clearly only 10 other V35's ever bothered to run a 100m in that entire year and my time was probably 2-3 seconds slower than all of them, and that was the only time I ran 100m, and I ran an 800m and 3000m race the same evening as well.

It is pretty pointless to be putting people running in lanes so far apart. The race itself may not be pointless and barely any different from normal for sprinters who are only ever really racing the clock anyway. Or by the time you realise there is someone ahead of you or chasing you down it's too late to do a whole lot about it in a sprint as you've already lost.

100m, 200m and 400m should just be run as per normal.

800m should be as per normal, but probably don't put two people in a single lane any more.
    1500m should be run as per normal, but possibly split the field in two for the first bend as they do on very busy races and do that at a lower threshold of numbers n the field.
    Those changes are only to do with limiting the point where there is a tiny risk where people are milling around before the start. During the race it's really irrelevant doing any daft changes for social distancing. Get rid of pacemakers if they are really concerned about people following behind the same person for 1 second too long, but otherwise in a race there is minimal risk of passing anything along and nobody is actually following in the wake of someone for the whole duration anyway as people chop and change places.

Agreed. Zero point changing the events themselves. Social distancing is for officials, spectators, warm up area etc.

But having every second lane free in a sprint isn't a drastic change and most sprinters would happily take that over nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭healy1835

Rotterdam gone...... Hamburg gone now. That's it for the year I'd imagine.

Agreed. Zero point changing the events themselves. Social distancing is for officials, spectators, warm up area etc.

But having every second lane free in a sprint isn't a drastic change and most sprinters would happily take that over nothing.

And yet we seen plenty of Gaa matches taken place over the weekend. And while there was something resembles of social distance amongst spectors, the players are in very close contact for 2 x 30 min halves

Without getting into "they can, we should" debate it does seem to be 2 different sets of guidelines

And yet we seen plenty of Gaa matches taken place over the weekend. And while there was something resembles of social distance amongst spectors, the players are in very close contact for 2 x 30 min halves

Without getting into "they can, we should" debate it does seem to be 2 different sets of guidelines

Who came up with the Athletic guidelines?

Who came up with the Athletic guidelines?

Do you know?

Do you know?

Nope, that is why I asked. As you said there seems to be 2 different guidelines.

I know Wexford gaa streamed their matches on youtube over the weekend. 5 euro a game

Nope, that is why I asked. As you said there seems to be 2 different guidelines.

I know Wexford gaa streamed their matches on youtube over the weekend. 5 euro a game

I've no idea either.

Tipperary athletics had announced dates for road races in August and September.

They now have cancelled all 2020 championship road races.
    They are still hopeful that some cross country races might go ahead.
    There would usually only be 40 to 60 taking part in these races..

Very frustrating I have to say when you see Gaa and cycling races taken place at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I've no idea either.

Tipperary athletics had announced dates for road races in August and September.

They now have cancelled all 2020 championship road races.
    They are still hopeful that some cross country races might go ahead.
    There would usually only be 40 to 60 taking part in these races..

Very frustrating I have to say when you see Gaa and cycling races taken place at the weekend.

With every athlete having to be 2m apart on the start line it was not really feasible to do this. There is a huge amount of red tape being laid down by AAI for clubs who are to hold championship races as well. Not all the host clubs of the remaining events would have a sufficient volunteer base to be able to manage all the extra safety requirements.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    With every athlete having to be 2m apart on the start line it was not really feasible to do this. There is a huge amount of red tape being laid down by AAI for clubs who are to hold championship races as well. Not all the host clubs of the remaining events would have a sufficient volunteer base to be able to manage all the extra safety requirements.
    But the 2m rule doesn't apply to Gaa matches or the cycling race during the game/race.

And to be fair there's isn't any need to have a big number of volunteers.

But the 2m rule doesn't apply to Gaa matches or the cycling race during the game/race.

True, the social distancing is a bit daft at the start, after 50 yards there will be groups of runners together.

It is more of a case of the extra work that volunteers have to do. Sign up in advance,

• Staff and volunteers should be provided
    online training/Briefing, to cover event
    protocols and HSE guidelines. Must be
    completed at least 24 hours before the
    event day. With waiver signed by staff
    and volunteers.

This is one of the recommendations too.
    Extra course marshals should be stationed to police and encourage social distancing while running.

True, the social distancing is a bit daft at the start, after 50 yards there will be groups of runners together.

It is more of a case of the extra work that volunteers have to do. Sign up in advance,

and volunteers.

At this rate Athletics will be the only sport not back. Races could implement a feature like we have at our Athletic club where you fill out an online form, saying no temp, were in no danger areas and email for contact tracing.

Or even better use the hse app as evidence.

Do a staggered start line, say 150 a go, be on the start line for 5 mins max, no worst than me training the kids in gaa.

At this rate Athletics will be the only sport not back. Races could implement a feature like we have at our Athletic club where you fill out an online form, saying no temp, were in no danger areas and email for contact tracing.

Do a staggered start line, say 150 a go, be on the start line for 5 mins max, no worst than me training the kids in gaa.

Online only entry is what is force at the moment.

The staggered start would totally diminish the feel and ethos of races. The person who is overall winner could be 5th over the line & doesn't get any of the glory of winning the event.

• Advertisement

A staggered start doesn't really solve the only actual issue with mass running races which is the assembling at the start area and milling around. It's not keeping people apart during a race that needs to be solved, it's stopping people breathing on each other in small spaces before the start.

The Hamburg marathon (?) solution of wearing a mask at the Expo, start and finish line is about the only sensible idea except a vaccine that we've seen so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

The Hamburg marathon (?) solution of wearing a mask at the Expo, start and finish line is about the only sensible idea except a vaccine that we've seen so far.

That marathon was cancelled yesterday. At least they came up with some new ideas to try and make it happen.

leinsters pushed back a week and if the 200 people rule doesnt change it will be cancelled, u17/19 is cancelled

We would have around 15 volunteers for a training session, about 50 kids

Online only entry is what is force at the moment.

The staggered start would totally diminish the feel and ethos of races. The person who is overall winner could be 5th over the line & doesn't get any of the glory of winning the event.

They did a staggered 10k at the weekend in the north. Elites went off first. Winner will come from that group sure.

So no issue

and volunteers.

We did all that for the GAA also. And we use an app for every session where the parents say they took the kids temp and the kid is good to go.
    Mentors also have to follow this

A staggered start doesn't really solve the only actual issue with mass running races which is the assembling at the start area and milling around. It's not keeping people apart during a race that needs to be solved, it's stopping people breathing on each other in small spaces before the start.

Use the HSE app. If that says you are good then you can race. If you don't have the app you can't race

They did a staggered 10k at the weekend in the north. Elites went off first. Winner will come from that group sure.

So no issue

This is grand for open races. For championship races, everyone needs to start at the same time. The distancing requirements does away with these as some will have an unfair advantage of being on the start line v 10 metres back.

The wearing of the masks at the start is an idea, but then the logistics of what to do with them when the gun goes comes into play.

leinsters pushed back a week and if the 200 people rule doesnt change it will be cancelled, u17/19 is cancelled

And now changed to a 3 day event including a Friday! And entry won't open until 4 days beforehand. An absolute mess. If we don't go to Phase 4 on August 10th then goodbye to any national championship events too.

This is grand for open races. For championship races, everyone needs to start at the same time. The distancing requirements does away with these as some will have an unfair advantage of being on the start line v 10 metres back.

The wearing of the masks at the start is an idea, but then the logistics of what to do with them when the gun goes comes into play.

From the pictures of the event in the north, they had around 20 people in the first group, all close together.

People are getting hung up on this 2 meter thing. Its sport and Athletics Ireland need to understand that life goes on

• Advertisement
Advertisement