Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corona Virus and events

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

And if juvenile, a parent is also allowed to.attend

Dont think thats confirmed, the GAA have just asked for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Nationals seniors are fine as they are behind closed doors.

But what sort of clowns are running our country? Outdoor sports training is 15 only, but indoor cinemas are 50.

This government are losing the general public now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

event wrote: »
    Dont think thats confirmed, the GAA have just asked for that

Yeah, it's an assumption from the GAA unless and until it's clarified further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

MY BAD wrote: »
    I don't see any issue with a track or xc meet with the current restrictions. I suppose it's a bit grey when it comes to road races

East Cork Road Championships took place tonight public roads in a really small rural village apparently with the blessing of Irish Athletics

Opted out of running in it myself so don't know how it went

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭omicron

deisedude wrote: »
    East Cork Road Championships took place tonight public roads in a really small rural village apparently with the blessing of Irish Athletics

Opted out of running in it myself so don't know how it went

All pre entry, small numbers, men and women started at separate ends of the course, crowd dispersed immediately after no hanging around, no spectators barring a couple of officials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

omicron wrote: »
    All pre entry, small numbers, men and women started at separate ends of the course, crowd dispersed immediately after no hanging around, no spectators barring a couple of officials.

Meanwhile a government minister and 80 odd cohorts can have a golf outing and meal in a hotel in Clifden.

Bollocks!!!

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Athletics Ireland have confirmed that the 15 person limit does not apply to competitions. (https://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/coronavirus-covid-19-update). A bit late for the race I was supposed to be doing tomorrow which has already been called off due to all the confusion. Also not sure how the clarification will affect permit situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Athletics Ireland YouTube channel is steaming the National Championships this weekend and next weekend..

RTE2 tomorrow at 5.30 pm is showing it

Men’s 1500 the pick of the bunch from these championships..

Epic finish in 1500 final..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Delighted for Paul Robinson, seriously gutsy stuff by both. Super race!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭healy1835

OOnegative wrote: »
    Delighted for Paul Robinson, seriously gutsy stuff by both. Super race!!

Yeah a great comeback story. And a lilywhite to boot :)

healy1835 wrote: »
    Yeah a great comeback story. And a lilywhite to boot :)

Sad he has a Dublin accent though!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭healy1835

Sad he has a Dublin accent though!!!!

Let's not get into the nuances of North Kildare.... We need a little bit of a good story right now B ;)

healy1835 wrote: »
    Let's not get into the nuances of North Kildare.... We need a little bit of a good story right now B ;)

I followed the man since he was an u20 as it was when I started running myself, he’s had rotten luck the past 2/3 years injuries wise but his class showed this evening. Tobin is a beast but Robinson had the guts & determination to haul him back. Helps he’s from the nicest town in Kildare!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Snodge

What a race, delighted for Robinson, exceptional belief and determination. Also a fine run from u23 darragh mcelhinney in the 5000, dipping under 14mins.

1500 metres and to win by a hair..

Pity they don’t just call these draws..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cassbag90

Cant wait for when all this is over to get back to events

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Cassbag90 wrote: »
    Cant wait for when all this is over to get back to events

not looking good for road racing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

IvoryTower wrote: »
    not looking good for road racing
    Grateful we at least have the national masters t&f going ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

You wait ages for a bus and then two come along together.........Feeling pre race nerves for the first time this year!! County 5k this evening followed by half on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Down South wrote: »
    Grateful we at least have the national masters t&f going ahead

Hopefully, although there is a caveat in the small print that that date could yet be changed. Hopefully not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

sideswipe wrote: »
    You wait ages for a bus and then two come along together.........Feeling pre race nerves for the first time this year!! County 5k this evening followed by half on Sunday.

Where is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Where is this?

Wicklow 5k champs last Thursday then Oylegate half.......which was since cancelled with no reason given after getting AAI clearance last weekend:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

opus wrote: »
    About that, wonder if Run the Line will go ahead in mid-Nov, it's all I've got left now that ever other thing I'd entered has bit the dust.

This went virtual a few weeks back. Opted for virtual route and that DWMRT retain the surplus cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Anyone aware of any clubs with provisional plans still in place for events before April?
    From what I can see the calendar staples up to that point are still up in the air with nobody commiting yet or even advertising.

Tom brennan/Athenry/Raheny 5/IMRA /Dungarvan/Trim/Bohermeen?

• Advertisement

Havent heard of anything. I'd hope a lot are preparing behind the scenes but want to see how December goes. Could be January before we know. There will be some scramble for entries for every race

Havent heard of anything. I'd hope a lot are preparing behind the scenes but want to see how December goes. Could be January before we know. There will be some scramble for entries for every race

Be surprise if an event happens before march

Be surprise if an event happens before march

It seems to be looking that way unfortunately, had April in mind and it seems everyone is afraid to be first to jump.

Lindie's blog is even down to a few ones in the North up to April.
    https://lindienaughton.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html?m=1

The big city marathons & Conn seem to be still standing but it's hard to be optimistic about them or the likes of Raheny with big corals at the start lines.

It seems to be looking that way unfortunately, had April in mind and it seems everyone is afraid to be first to jump.

Lindie's blog is even down to a few ones in the North up to April.
    https://lindienaughton.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html?m=1

The big city marathons & Conn seem to be still standing but it's hard to be optimistic about them or the likes of Raheny with big corals at the start lines.

Yeah cant see the government allowing much.
    Unless something changes 2021 could be as bad 2020 sadly

What we could do is everyone form a GAA team. Then instead of a game, one Sunday lets all just go for a run and see how we do against each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Anyone aware of any clubs with provisional plans still in place for events before April?
    From what I can see the calendar staples up to that point are still up in the air with nobody commiting yet or even advertising.

Tom brennan/Athenry/Raheny 5/IMRA /Dungarvan/Trim/Bohermeen?

http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/2020/10/the-2021-dungarvan-10-mile-road-race-is.html?m=1

Dungarvan isn't happening in February anyway.

What we could do is everyone form a GAA team. Then instead of a game, one Sunday lets all just go for a run and see how we do against each other.

Need to be elite though:)

Thanks, forgot about that site.
    Excellent breakdown of Cork Marathon and the course detail.

Trim not happening in February anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Given the hundreds playing soccer in a small area every weekend in St Anne's, this seems like a good idea.

No idea how it's ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Need to be elite though:)

After watching the Cork v Kerry match today..
    It really stretches the imagination to say they're elite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Ceepo wrote: »

You should have seen the Roscommon lads in the match before. Parkrun tail walker standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Dudda wrote: »
    You should have seen the Roscommon lads in the match before. Parkrun tail walker standard.

Really?? Well worth the avg €1m per county investment so.
    "On top of the €15m provided by the Government for the running of the current championships, the GAA, LGFA, and Camogie Association will be provided with close to €31m."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40074599.html

Glad I was watching real professional in the Vuelta so

Ceepo wrote: »

In fairness you wont see much quality in football terms in the current weather conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I've written off the indoor season completely and don't think I'll have a race until May.

Just ticking over 4 days a week at 70% at the moment, so I'll have a base for when I ramp it up. Absolutely no point killing myself at the moment when I don't need to be in shape for another 6 months.

Really dying for the gyms to open back up. Haven't been in one since March and was really hoping to build back up my strength over the winter. They'll probably open for 5 weeks then close again. Rinse, repeat.

It really sucks away the motivation to train hard.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I've written off the indoor season completely and don't think I'll have a race until May.

Just ticking over 4 days a week at 70% at the moment, so I'll have a base for when I ramp it up. Absolutely no point killing myself at the moment when I don't need to be in shape for another 6 months.

Really dying for the gyms to open back up. Haven't been in one since March and was really hoping to build back up my strength over the winter. They'll probably open for 5 weeks then close again. Rinse, repeat.

It really sucks away the motivation to train hard.

The vaccine news is the most positive thing we heard for awhile

Rotterdam Marathon not taking place as usual next April, moving to October 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Rotterdam Marathon not taking place as usual next April, moving to October 2021.

Jasus, we'll have 4\5 marathons per week then

Duanington wrote: »

Amsterdam is scheduled a week later at the minute!!!

Duanington wrote: »

Will give people plenty of choice in Autumn. Can try an ideal build up maybe, 5k10k till June, Summer the half and Autumn a marathon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Boston has moved from April to October also.

ariana` wrote: »
    Boston has moved from April to October also.

Dublin will surely have spaces in Oct. Also can see Cork/Waterford etc all happening close to then

Is this a sign that sports administrators and organisers have been told on the quiet that nothing will happen before summer 2021 for larger field events?

Larger events like big city marathons take massive logistical planning so hopefully we might still see the smaller races < 1000 back in the spring.

Would hope Limerick/Connn/Cork hold out till Feb at least.

Is this a sign that sports administrators and organisers have been told on the quiet that nothing will happen before summer 2021 for larger field events?

I dont think so. I'd say its just forward planning and they dont want to have to deal with constant questions.

• Advertisement

I dont think so. I'd say its just forward planning and they dont want to have to deal with constant questions.

If the vaccine is real, we should be up and running by April, summer the latest. That's just what i think

Advertisement