Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corona Virus and events

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Can't see how something that would depend on shuttle buses will go ahead.
    Don't see Connemarathon in 2021 at all unfortunately given how much sh1te the HSE find themselves in now.
    Vaccination schedule seems to be screwed based on lack of people to administer it due to lack of hiring and illness. Also given the IT systems aren't in place to keep any track of daily cases over 2000, how are they going to manage 4 million plus vaccinations...

They managed the flu vaccine for the kids pretty well. IT system is probably written in cobol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Read today that the Donadea 50k in Feb has bit the dust, not exactly a surprise. That was the last event I took part in last year coincidentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

ger664 wrote: »
    Cheers

From the one area the government allow. I work in IT and have contract work with a lot of GP's so I have been extremely busy all year.

Surface contact (keyboard mouse) from a Desktop I was configuring for a temp nurse in a surgery. She showed symptoms a couple of days later. I was only tested as a precaution.

Jaysis. That sounds so avoidable (my own job has placed me in a similar position so I tend to have the map in front of me, so to speak) but so easy to let the guard down as time grinds on. Hope you recover well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ger664 wrote: »
    Cheers

From the one area the government allow. I work in IT and have contract work with a lot of GP's so I have been extremely busy all year.

Surface contact (keyboard mouse) from a Desktop I was configuring for a temp nurse in a surgery. She showed symptoms a couple of days later. I was only tested as a precaution.

Jeez Ger that is crappy but shows how easily it can be transmitted and makes me glad I'm still washing the shopping :pac:

Get well soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

opus wrote: »
    Read today that the Donadea 50k in Feb has bit the dust, not exactly a surprise. That was the last event I took part in last year coincidentally.

Just curious: where did you read that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

echancrure wrote: »
    Just curious: where did you read that?

It’s on there Facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

OOnegative wrote: »
    It’s on there Facebook page.

Thanks finally found it. Facebook is such a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Donadea 50Km cancellation notice.
    echancrure wrote: »
    Thanks finally found it. Facebook is such a mess.

It's the way they've set up Donadea 50Km on Facebook. They're using a public group which means anyone and everyone can post whatever they want which leaves the important info like event cancellation gets lost. Easier ways of doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

With the start to the year we've had you have to feel the opening up of events has been forced back again now.

The vaccine seems to be in the background with all that's happening this week, unreal to think that after waiting so long for it that it's not the main agenda...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

With the start to the year we've had you have to feel the opening up of events has been forced back again now.

The vaccine seems to be in the background with all that's happening this week, unreal to think that after waiting so long for it that it's not the main agenda...
    They can't begin to go into care homes to vaccinate while there is so much of the virus in the care homes :( And they have started front line workers. It will take months before we see the benefits of the vaccine unfortunately.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    They can't begin to go into care homes to vaccinate while there is so much of the virus in the care homes :( And they have started front line workers. It will take months before we see the benefits of the vaccine unfortunately.

Yeah my Dad is in a nursing home, 2 people tested positive for covid yesterday, was due to get vaccine next week, now have to wait till end of the month

Not sure what you mean. They are using the doses they have and will continue to do that. Supply is 35,000 a week.

It will pick up speed when more the get approved.

Yeah my Dad is in a nursing home, 2 people tested positive for covid yesterday, was due to get vaccine next week, now have to wait till end of the month

I'm very sorry to hear of your personal situation but unfortunately this is the situation all over the country. I sincerely hope your dad will get the vaccine at the end of the month and those cases don't spread any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Not sure what you mean. They are using the doses they have and will continue to do that. Supply is 35,000 a week.

It will pick up speed when more the get approved.

Less than 2000 in the 1st week, it's off to a slow start. It could be a very long time before we see the quoted 80% heard immunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Ceepo wrote: »
    Less than 2000 in the 1st week, it's off to a slow start. It could be a very long time before we see the quoted 80% heard immunity

Is there a tracker anywhere that shows daily vaccination numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Ah right, that's the one I have. Was hoping there would be an Irish one with much more detail.
    Would be nice to get these numbers reported daily, rather than just the daily ritual of misery reported to us.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Is there a tracker anywhere that shows daily vaccination numbers?

I haven't seen one specific to Ireland, My information was based on professor of immunology on Newstalk this evening, sorry but I can't remember her name.

Ceepo wrote: »
    I haven't seen one specific to Ireland, My information was based on professor of immunology on Newstalk this evening, sorry but I can't remember her name.

The current outbreak will slow everything down. Nursing homes can't get the vaccine if covid present in it. Same will apply everywhere else.

We should of kept the lockdown for xmas and this could of been avoided.

The germans and dutch had the right idea.

The current outbreak will slow everything down. Nursing homes can't get the vaccine if covid present in it. Same will apply everywhere else.

We should of kept the lockdown for xmas and this could of been avoided.

The germans and dutch had the right idea.

Well if they can't get the vaccines to certain care homes because of Covid outbreaks, they should be getting the vaccines to other groups in the meantime. Sitting around twiddling their thumbs benefits nobody.

• Advertisement

Well if they can't get the vaccines to certain care homes because of Covid outbreaks, they should be getting the vaccines to other groups in the meantime. Sitting around twiddling their thumbs benefits nobody.

It also applies to hospital staff and other vulnerable groups. The virus is rampant out there so getting hard to get to the correct groups.

They aren't twiddling their thumbs either.

I don't think anybody is twiddling their thumbs. Things can seem frustratingly slow (probably due to bureaucracy) but I'm sure the individuals involved are working flat out. My sister in law got the vaccine this morning and her report is that the vaccination clinic was full on, multiple rooms going, queues of staff (front line) and a real positive buzz about the place. Keep the faith.

ariana` wrote: »
    I don't think anybody is twiddling their thumbs. Things can seem frustratingly slow (probably due to bureaucracy) but I'm sure the individuals involved are working flat out. My sister in law got the vaccine this morning and her report is that the vaccination clinic was full on, multiple rooms going, queues of staff (front line) and a real positive buzz about the place. Keep the faith.

I hope the rollout will be quick and run smoothly. I really fear that by summer we will be well behind our European counterparts in this regard and will be among the last to come out of restrictions. Our health system isn't in good shape.

I hope the rollout will be quick and run smoothly. I really fear that by summer we will be well behind our European counterparts in this regard and will be among the last to come out of restrictions. Our health system isn't in good shape.

Do you need to have a covid test first to prove you don't have the virus before the vaccine?

We are waiting for the Oxford vaccine as we can let the gp's give that out easily and faster. Like they did for the kids flu vaccine. They did a great job there

Do you need to have a covid test first to prove you don't have the virus before the vaccine?

We are waiting for the Oxford vaccine as we can let the gp's give that out easily and faster. Like they did for the kids flu vaccine. They did a great job there

If that was the requirement, then it will be 5 years before we vaccinate everyone.

I sincerely hope not.

If that was the requirement, then it will be 5 years before we vaccinate everyone.

I sincerely hope not.

I know you can't get it if you have covid!!!!

Were you able to access a track lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Don't see why possibly having Covid should be an issue for getting the vaccine.

I know you can't get it if you have covid!!!!

Were you able to access a track lately?

Got onto indoor track in Abbotstown for 4 sessions in December. Back to square one now.

Stark wrote: »
    Don't see why possibly having Covid should be an issue for getting the vaccine.

Immune system probably couldn't cope.

If you have had covid previously, and are recovered then you can receive the vaccine
    The 1st care home resident to receive the vaccine had recovered from covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Shot in the dark stuff but if you had to pick a month when we see small local 5k or 10k races with less than 200 people start back what month would you pick? I'm going to pick April but I've no scientific data or analysis. It's a hopeful guess! When do ye think?

Dudda wrote: »
    Shot in the dark stuff but if you had to pick a month when we see small local 5k or 10k races with less than 200 people start back what month would you pick? I'm going to pick April but I've no scientific data or analysis. It's a hopeful guess! When do ye think?

I suspect we will have outdoor track meets in May. Maybe June or July for any kind of small mass participation races, with big races back by the autumn.

I suspect we will have outdoor track meets in May. Maybe June or July for any kind of small mass participation races, with big races back by the autumn.

I think late June before any races will happen, if we are lucky. Big races maybe late Oct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

Can't see any sort of races before May atleast based solely on the fact that they're currently saying we can expect high level of lockdown until Spring (March?) and then give it a month of relaxing conditions and time to set up a small/medium size field race.

Awful prediction really as I've got my name in for a few races which were delayed until early this year which I now know will be either pushed back further or cancelled all together.

What do people think the different race organisers are going to do with regards to races which were pushed into 2021 from 2020? I mean at some stage it's just going to be easier to scrap the idea of the postponed race altogether and just plan for the original 2021 race - give postponed 2020 racers entry into the 2021 race and just try and get past that. I understand the larger marathons have done/looking at some model like this but I'm thinking more the small-mid sized race 100-500 people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Can't see a proper road race for considerable time. Whatever happens going forward I guess it will be slow pace for any type of gathering of a few hundred people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It could be a long time yet. If things open up again after the elderly get vaccinated it will inevitably spread wildly again and people of any age could be vulnerable. People in their 40s and 50s are dying from it.

Whether that will be enough to lockdown again who knows. There are more vaccines coming on stream especially the one that can be stored in an ordinary fridge and be administered by GPs so that could speed things up.

I see the boxer Joe Ward's manager died from Covid in the USA. He was only 54.
    https://www.the42.ie/joe-winters-5317277-Jan2021/

• Advertisement

It could be a long time yet. If things open up again after the elderly get vaccinated it will inevitably spread wildly again and people of any age could be vulnerable. People in their 40s and 50s are dying from it.

Whether that will be enough to lockdown again who knows. There are more vaccines coming on stream especially the one that can be stored in an ordinary fridge and be administered by GPs so that could speed things up.

I think once the vulnerable group is covered, deaths will drop.

How many healthy people in their 30's and 40's have died from it? Believe its very low and less than cancer!!!

I think late June before any races will happen, if we are lucky. Big races maybe late Oct

Well the Olympics are late July, so Nationals will need to be late June. There'll be at least a month's build up into Nationals. I think the season will start early May. If they could manage a season in 2020, then they'll manage it this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

At a guess perhaps June or July. The reason for this is that you would really need dry mild weather as the races may have to be run at staggered starts and people in particular race organisers and marshalls would be outside for a lot longer. 50 runners is manageable, 200 a lot more difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I think once the vulnerable group is covered, deaths will drop.

How many healthy people in their 30's and 40's have died from it? Believe its very low and less than cancer!!!

I think one thing people are missing is that the longer this is out there the better chance it has of mutating (like it seems to have done in the UK) and the more it mutates you could end up back at square one looking for a brand new vaccine. Vaccined vulnerable people could quickly become vulnerable again. At least that's my basic understanding of it.

SO its hard to see anything race related happening soon, even when the vulnerable are vaccinated.

It's taboo to mention it, but if you're obese you are at risk. I suspect the vast majority of people on their 40s and 50s dying from Covid who don't have underlying conditions, are actually obese.

I saw a tweet from someone talking about a man who died in his 40s and had no underlying condition supposedly. Freaked tons of people out judging by comments. Then I saw a photo of him. About 30 stone!!

• Advertisement

I think one thing people are missing is that the longer this is out there the better chance it has of mutating (like it seems to have done in the UK) and the more it mutates you could end up back at square one looking for a brand new vaccine. Vaccined vulnerable people could quickly become vulnerable again. At least that's my basic understanding of it.

SO its hard to see anything race related happening soon, even when the vulnerable are vaccinated.

In the vast vast vast majority of cases, when viruses mutate, they mutate into something milder. More infectious, but less dangerous.

Its generally only in movies that viruses mutate into killer diseases which wipe out half the earth!!

This virus has already mutated several times. I read that the original Wuhan strain is not even in circulation anymore.

Well the Olympics are late July, so Nationals will need to be late June. There'll be at least a month's build up into Nationals. I think the season will start early May. If they could manage a season in 2020, then they'll manage it this year.

The nationals might go ahead but that will be it, if there is an olympics. Things not good over there right now.

Also will there be an requirement all athletes have the vaccine? Who will supply it?

In the vast vast vast majority of cases, when viruses mutate, they mutate into something milder. More infectious, but less dangerous.

Its generally only in movies that viruses mutate into killer diseases which wipe out half the earth!!

This virus has already mutated several times. I read that the original Wuhan strain is not even in circulation anymore.

Also we have perfected the base for all vaccines going forward, meaning we can turn new vaccines around quicker. This took 9 years, but they got there in 2020

The nationals might go ahead but that will be it, if there is an olympics. Things not good over there right now.

Also will there be an requirement all athletes have the vaccine? Who will supply it?

The Olympics will go ahead. This isn't like March/April 2020. Sport is back up and running around the world now. Why should the Olympics be any different to NFL, Tour de France, Champions League etc.

I was on a Media Update online seminar awhile back and they are planning on the assumption that there will be no vaccine. They said if there's a vaccine, then all the better, but they were pushing on with plans on the basis that there will be none. This was before Pfizer and Moderna vaccine trial results were made public.

It will be a big operation, and it won't be an enjoyable games in all likelihood, but they'll happen nonetheless. Supposedly baseball in Japan has had 50% attendances so there is definitely a chance of spectators too.

Hopefully they can rollout the vaccine quickly in Japan. The quicker they protect people, the more likely we will have a Games a bit closer to normal. Would be sad to have a Games in front of empty stands, or very small attendances. But it's better than a generation of athletes giving 5 years of their lives for nothing!!

And I suspect you will be proved very wrong about the Irish outdoor season. There were tons of meets in the summer of 2020, so why would it be any different in 2021, particularly with a vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

The Olympics will go ahead. This isn't like March/April 2020. Sport is back up and running around the world now. Why should the Olympics be any different to NFL, Tour de France, Champions League etc.

I was on a Media Update online seminar awhile back and they are planning on the assumption that there will be no vaccine. They said if there's a vaccine, then all the better, but they were pushing on with plans on the basis that there will be none. This was before Pfizer and Moderna vaccine trial results were made public.

It will be a big operation, and it won't be an enjoyable games in all likelihood, but they'll happen nonetheless. Supposedly baseball in Japan has had 50% attendances so there is definitely a chance of spectators too.

Hopefully they can rollout the vaccine quickly in Japan. The quicker they protect people, the more likely we will have a Games a bit closer to normal. Would be sad to have a Games in front of empty stands, or very small attendances. But it's better than a generation of athletes giving 5 years of their lives for nothing!!

And I suspect you will be proved very wrong about the Irish outdoor season. There were tons of meets in the summer of 2020, so why would it be any different in 2021, particularly with a vaccine?

Just have the Olympics in Wuhan sure. No lockdowns or vaccine mandates required there. Normality resumed.

Japan is currently in emergency lockdown. Hope the games go.ahead, but not sure under what terms.

How many summer meets went ahead in Ireland last summer?

Would love to.see them all happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It's taboo to mention it, but if you're obese you are at risk. I suspect the vast majority of people on their 40s and 50s dying from Covid who don't have underlying conditions, are actually obese.

I saw a tweet from someone talking about a man who died in his 40s and had no underlying condition supposedly. Freaked tons of people out judging by comments. Then I saw a photo of him. About 30 stone!!

I had 2 in laws get it. One is 20 stone plus. He was asymptomatic. The other fella is a lean 6 footer. He got a dose of it, body was sore to touch and had chest pains 2 or 3 months later.

There is no definite science on who does or doesn't suffer from it. We don't know if the viral load you receive makes a difference or not.

There may be some evidence that people low in Vit D suffer more and Blacks and Asians living in the NH are often lower in Vit D due to their skin colour.

It is really hard to know still.
    Hopefully some local races will open up again but if they start to open up inter county travel again we will be back in the same spot again.

Maybe the health authorities will be happy once the vulnerable are vaccinated as hospitals won't be overrun but that could still leave a lot of middle aged people vulnerable if things open up too quickly.

Japan is currently in emergency lockdown. Hope the games go.ahead, but not sure under what terms.

How many summer meets went ahead in Ireland last summer?

Would love to.see them all happening

No idea how many went ahead, but I competed in 9 different meets. I suspect at least double that. Likely more again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Google reminded me today (with a photo) that the Ballyhoura midnight marathon was this Fri last year. Had high hopes at the time of getting to a few more IMRA events as a friend of mine in Dublin tries to take part in his local ones but we all know how that idea turned out.

Btw if anyone has a contact in IMRA, you might tell them to update the year on their site :)
    Error
    Application error
    Exception information:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Peterx

At the moment the IMRA message is very apt..
    Not very valid at all, at all :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement