Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corona Virus and events

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Well I'm invested in next winter as my wedding is supposed to be then. So forgive me for taking the doom and gloom from the powers that be to heart.

I feel winter is very risky to be planning anything given the current messaging, so pure fear is probably going to push us to pushing it back.

Tough one for ye. But i do believe come Sept we be open.
    But my beliefs are no use to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Massive risk to wait and see, as realistically we won't know that everything will be OK until the week before, as the rug has been pulled from many couples at the last minute during all of this. Summer 2022 dates will likely be then gone. Throw in travel restrictions too. It's a headache.

Of course, we could push it back, and everything ends up being back fully to normal, and we'll have put our lives on hold for no reason by 7 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

ultrapercy wrote: »
    thats the type of common sense that almost collapsed our health service in Dec/Jan

We are all aware of what happened over Dec/Jan periods. This had nothing to do with kids training for any sport or adults meeting up outside golf, tennis, cycling or running.
    Surely I don't have to point that the influx of people coming into the country was a huge driver aided by the numbers of houses parties etc.

We are supposed to be in lv5 lockdown, as we were this time last year, however this one looks nothing like this time last year.
    My buddy got hunted out of local playing fields this week as he was doing some rep's on his own, while 300m up the road the kids playground was full with kids and adult's,
    The same kids that can't train in a group, but that's some how OK.
    This not common sense..
    Its bull****..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I think September is optimistic...be the new year I reckon.

It's a real balls though, the government seem to be stuck to the levels they set out a year ago, when this was all new. I do wonder if they are exploring other options...lift travel restrictions, allow outdoor sports and small outdoor gatherings but keep pubs closed...you could allow restaurants to open with limitations.

Ultimately it is the people who don't follow the rules that f*ck it up for everyone else. Restaurants *should* be very hygienic but some aren't. Salons, hairdressers, barbers should be clean and sterile...but some aren't.

Everyone has their own reasons they'd like to see different things relaxed, but we cannot keep this up at this level for another 3 months, I'm a solitary creature and even I can feel the strain of it, can't imagine how extroverted people are feeling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Ultimately it is the people who don't follow the rules that f*ck it up for everyone else.

Nail on the head there, you can protest, give out and moan & whinge all you want about what’s happening but unless you follow the rules & figures start to decrease we’re in his ****storm for a hell of a lot longer.

Not preaching or giving out, hell I’m living in a country with a 9pm curfew but I know unless figures start to come down that’s going to continue. Do your bit and think about your fellow man also as well as yourself.

Could be a long time before we race again unless we do.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Nail on the head there, you can protest, give out and moan & whinge all you want about what’s happening but unless you follow the rules & figures start to decrease we’re in his ****storm for a hell of a lot longer.

Not preaching or giving out, hell I’m living in a country with a 9pm curfew but I know unless figures start to come down that’s going to continue. Do your bit and think about your fellow man also as well as yourself.

Could be a long time before we race again unless we do.

You're right.

But there's not a chance of getting full compliance on this stuff, unless living in a Stalinist regime, which is obviously not something anyone would be advocating.

That's the price of democracy though. There will always be people who will break guidelines. It's not human nature to live like this.

I think compliance was incredible during the first lockdown. But now it's very much half hearted. It's hard to blame people, particularly young people, who have had a year of their youth stolen, or single people, who can't meet a new partner and move on with their lives.

I think we should all be a bit more compassionate towards other people. None of us know what another person is going through.

You'll get a few lunatics who really don't give a sh1t, but most people are doing their best, but there's only so much we can handle.

You're right.

But there's not a chance of getting full compliance on this stuff, unless living in a Stalinist regime, which is obviously not something anyone would be advocating.

That's the price of democracy though. There will always be people who will break guidelines. It's not human nature to live like this.

I think compliance was incredible during the first lockdown. But now it's very much half hearted. It's hard to blame people, particularly young people, who have had a year of their youth stolen, or single people, who can't meet a new partner and move on with their lives.

I think we should all be a bit more compassionate towards other people. None of us know what another person is going through.

You'll get a few lunatics who really don't give a sh1t, but most people are doing their best, but there's only so much we can handle.

And I don’t disagree with one word you say either(that’s a first!!).

Only so much people can handle is 100%, I haven’t seen my parents and sisters since July 2019 between the pandemic and health issues. My father has a heart issue and I’m fcuked if I’m potentially dragging something with me to jeopardize his health.

But I’ll abide by what’s being advised here, not out of want or being told what to do but in the hope I’ll hug my Mam soon and share a look with my Dad that says we love each other endlessly.

See this is it. So many people trying to monopolise how hard it is for them or saying be grateful you haven't lost anyone, be grateful you have a job, be grateful you are safe at home etc etc etc...
    Everyone is having a hard time and everyones reasons for finding it hard are as valid as the next persons. Annoys the sh*t out of me when people try to make their situation worse than yours.

People who are living in difficult or violent domestic situations.
    People who are living in cramped conditions.
    People who are living alone.
    People who are not living with their partner and aren't getting to see them.
    People who are not living alone but have their heads wrecked being at home all the time with the people they love.
    All of these things are hard. All of them.

I live alone and work from home, haven't see himself since before Christmas and have no idea when we will see each other again. Haven't hugged my mam or dad in over a year in that time my brother has gone into hospital twice (about to go in again) and my dad's sister has passed and I have to fight the urge to comfort them. All three of us are vulnerable. But in Ireland, the way vaccinations are going you can't even do a countdown to a time when I can hug them again without worrying we might kill each other. :pac:

The levels, I've thought for some time just needs to be discarded and reworked. Level 5 has gone as far as it can. They don't have to let us start racing again but it's time to loosen up on travel restrictions and outdoor activity.

I live alone and work from home, haven't see himself since before Christmas and have no idea when we will see each other again.

He’ll be a LUCKY man when you see each other again so.....

• Advertisement

He’ll be a LUCKY man when you see each other again so.....

Any man that I deem worthy of any sort of attention is lucky, you know that. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ceepo wrote: »
    My buddy got hunted out of local playing fields this week as he was doing some rep's on his own, while 300m up the road the kids playground was full with kids and adult's,

Hunted out by who? If it's private grounds I can see why but not public, and GAA clubs have left their grounds open for recreational use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Hurrache wrote: »
    Hunted out by who? If it's private grounds I can see why but not public, and GAA clubs have left their grounds open for recreational use.

Would you believe I've know idea about who's is charge of the ground.
    It was previously run by the rosminian brothers but is under the state now. The playing fields have been used by a local soccer team, and also a lot runners and walkers over the year's.
    I take your point and public v private grounds,

It's still mad all the same. One of the places I bring the kids to get our for an hour or two, semi state owned I suppose, regularly has a Garda checkpoint between here and there but the Gardai never question going there and employees in the grounds don't care.

And I don’t disagree with one word you say either(that’s a first!!).

Only so much people can handle is 100%, I haven’t seen my parents and sisters since July 2019 between the pandemic and health issues. My father has a heart issue and I’m fcuked if I’m potentially dragging something with me to jeopardize his health.

But I’ll abide by what’s being advised here, not out of want or being told what to do but in the hope I’ll hug my Mam soon and share a look with my Dad that says we love each other endlessly.

Are your parents outside Ireland?

We managed to have our in laws over for xmas and saw them in jan/feb as we were isolating so was safe. We brought them into our bubble. Now we see them from 2m apart outside their house daily. Safest way to do it.

Sadly my father went into a nursing home during covid, haven't seen him since xmas but will next week. Visits are back on

Are your parents outside Ireland?

No I am, living in The Netherlands with my family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Athletics Ireland released a provisional 2021 competition calendar a few days ago for anyone interested:

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/competition/fixtures

There's plenty of track planned for June and July, along with Masters' T&F and the Road Relays in September.

Obviously, it's a lot more likely that we'll be restricted to Zorb ball racing until 2023 but, if we manage to turn everything around in the next couple of months, I guess there's the possibility of some Dublin Graded nights too and, less likely, Irish Milers' Club events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Well if the Gardai are turning a blind eye to that then you'd have to wonder how they'd respond to ParkRuns, club races etc.??

If all the participants cite mental health issues does it make it ok (??)

Sacksian wrote: »
    Athletics Ireland released a provisional 2021 competition calendar a few days ago for anyone interested:

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/competition/fixtures

There's plenty of track planned for June and July, along with Masters' T&F and the Road Relays in September.

Obviously, it's a lot more likely that we'll be restricted to Zorb ball racing until 2023 but, if we manage to turn everything around in the next couple of months, I guess there's the possibility of some Dublin Graded nights too and, less likely, Irish Milers' Club events.

See I don't get this current attitude. We had a track season with every national championship from junior up last year, when we had no vaccines, yet now with vaccines, people think we will have no track races?

I recall you saying last year we would probably end up with no races and yet you ended up with getting to run at Nationals. Not a dig at you, just a dig at this perennial negativity that has enslaved this nation.

Very hard not to become so disillusioned with this.

17 deaths in UK today. It was 1820 on January 20th. Only 87 cases in NI today, lowest in 6 months. The vaccines are working. AND Summer is coming.

Wottle wrote: »

"Unusually for a running club, they cater for very young kids, but this has led to a lot of young families joining up."

Would love to know what the definition of 'very young kids' is. Sounds like a massive ambulance chasing claim waiting to happen, doubt they're affiliated or have insurance so good luck the them with that...

• Advertisement

See I don't get this current attitude. We had a track season with every national championship from junior up last year, when we had no vaccines, yet now with vaccines, people think we will have no track races?

I recall you saying last year we would probably end up with no races and yet you ended up with getting to run at Nationals. Not a dig at you, just a dig at this perennial negativity that has enslaved this nation.

That really doesn't sound like something I'd say - I definitely err on the side of optimistic at all times when it comes to track racing! This is what I said in May (measured and balanced as ever):
    I think official AI competition - track races and probably xc - are a lot more likely this year than road races. There may be additional licensing / public liability considerations for road races that make it prohibitive for smaller races (and the larger races may be unlikely to be sanctioned).

We'll know by August whether the roadmap has been a responsible policy or not and, at that point, if we do have officially sanctioned races, it's up to the individuals involved to gauge their personal risk. They will likely only be officially sanctioned if the social risk is considered to be minimal.

If everyone has lost the run of themselves by June or July, then there'll be no racing. But, if not, it would be hard to argue against races that are being held with the backing of public health advice.

You might have taken my post above a bit too literally - I don't seriously believe that we'll be racing in Zorb balls until 2023.

Honestly, I try to stay away from making predictions. Like last year, if the government will allow races, they'll happen. It doesn't really matter much what we think. Like last year, I'll prepare my training based on the planned races that are announced and my (generally) optimistic belief that if there's any possibility of races happening, the good people of Dublin athletics and Athletics Ireland will do all they can to make it happen. I'm aiming to be ready for track races, if they happen, and if they don't, I'll enjoy the process and get fit for xc!

That really doesn't sound like something I'd say - I definitely err on the side of optimistic at all times when it comes to track racing! This is what I said in May (measured and balanced as ever):

You might have taken my post above a bit too literally - I don't seriously believe that we'll be racing in Zorb balls until 2023.

Honestly, I try to stay away from making predictions. Like last year, if the government will allow races, they'll happen. It doesn't really matter much what we think. Like last year, I'll prepare my training based on the planned races that are announced and my (generally) optimistic belief that if there's any possibility of races happening, the good people of Dublin athletics and Athletics Ireland will do all they can to make it happen. I'm aiming to be ready for track races, if they happen, and if they don't, I'll enjoy the process and get fit for xc!

Fair enough. It might have been your log I read something, and maybe my mind is playing tricks on me and embellishing what you said with the passage of time.

I find it so hard to fathom how there can be no races when we have vaccines when we had races when we had none. Makes no sense to me. Then again, not much of any of this makes sense right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I find it so hard to fathom how there can be no races when we have vaccines when we had races when we had none. Makes no sense to me. Then again, not much of any of this makes sense right now.

It's the B.1.1.7 variant, makes the virus much harder to suppress. Seen some suggestions that the reduction in case numbers in recent weeks might have been due to vaccination of healthcare workers while cases grew slowly in the general population and we're no longer seeing that vaccination bonus now they're all fully vaccinated (vaccinating a bunch of 80+ year olds isn't going to do a whole lot for reducing overall transmission).

I think track runners are fairly likely to get a race/season at some point and June-July seems like a reasonably cautious timeframe, especially if vaccine supplies ramp up - but who knows what's going to crop up between now and then?

Masters scheduled for September looks safe enough.

(please note liberal use of hedging: "fairly", "I think", "seems like" and "looks"!!)

Stark wrote: »
    It's the B.1.1.7 variant, makes the virus much harder to suppress. Seen some suggestions that the reduction in case numbers in recent weeks might have been due to vaccination of healthcare workers while cases grew slowly in the general population and we're no longer seeing that vaccination bonus now they're all fully vaccinated (vaccinating a bunch of 80+ year olds isn't going to do a whole lot for reducing overall transmission).

Will reduce the hospital admission. Over 70's will be starting this week also. Once they are done we be in a stronger position

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1374110600087883779?s=19

Comment at the end about potentially scrapping travel restrictions entirely and focusing on the number of contacts and indoors vs outdoors instead is interesting. Too good to be true by all likelihood but good to know they're at least starting to think about things in those terms and not "magic distance from your house limit keeps you safe". Even if the message can trickle down to the general public it could make a big difference. The amount of people I know who are happily meeting people indoors #within5km but react like you're the devil's spawn if you dare suggest going for a nice walk/run/cycle outside of the magic bubble is crazy.

not "magic distance from your house limit keeps you safe".

But you know that's not the reasoning, it's simply to reduce the potential likelihood and pool size of it spreading, not that it will keep you safe.

That proposal though, if introduced, will be great.

Hurrache wrote: »
    But you know that's not the reasoning, it's simply to reduce the potential likelihood and pool size of it spreading, not that it will keep you safe.

That proposal though, if introduced, will be great.

Dr. Glynn explained it at a press conference a few weeks ago. The main reason for having a distance limit on exercise was they were afraid without it, people would give "exercising" as a loophole excuse when they were stopped travelling for socialising purposes. He said the actual distance itself, whether 2km, 5km or 10km was meaningless and not based on any scientific rationale, it was simply a "proxy signal to stay at home" (his words). The "rationales" that people have been coming up for why someone who is genuinely exercising (and not socialising) infecting everyone with covid by exceeding the limit are nothing more than self-flagellation.

The "rationales" that people have been coming up for why someone who is genuinely exercising (and not socialising) infecting everyone with covid by exceeding the limit are nothing more than self-flagellation.

Flagellation of others surely, not self-flagellation as they're not the ones doing the exercise?

Dr. Glynn explained it at a press conference a few weeks ago. The main reason for having a distance limit on exercise was they were afraid without it, people would give "exercising" as a loophole excuse when they were stopped travelling for socialising purposes. He said the actual distance itself, whether 2km, 5km or 10km was meaningless and not based on any scientific rationale, it was simply a "proxy signal to stay at home" (his words). The "rationales" that people have been coming up for why someone who is genuinely exercising (and not socialising) infecting everyone with covid by exceeding the limit are nothing more than self-flagellation.

Sure all anyone has to do when stopped is to say they are visiting a grave. It doesn't have to be anyone you know, it simply says "to visit a grave" in the list of exceptions.

I haven't done this myself personally, as I haven't gone anywhere, other than running about 7km from home, to an area guards would never ever be. But it's a simple get out of jail card for anybody stopped far from home.

A friend of mine was talking to a senior guard he knows who told him that they just want the people to give them something - give them a reason for why they are out. They don't seem to care if it's a lie. They don't want to be out there hassling people either.

The government really are out of touch with the reality right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Belfast to Dublin cancelled.

Sad News .... Dublin 2 Belfast Ultra is Postponed to 1st April 2022 .
    Northern Ireland is going in the right direction in its fight against covid-19 and events will soon be starting again, unfortunately Ireland is slow with its vaccination roll out and still has high numbers. This means we will not be able to cross the border as a running event.
    We can't push it back any further as we have other events planned and have to take into consideration other event organisers and there events.
    Everyone that has entered will be transferred to 2022 and an email will be sent to you. This will explain what you should do if the new date doesn't suit or you want a refund.
    Sorry for any inconvenience caused by the date change.
    Adrian, Sammy, Amy and Dianne
    Atlas Running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

My 14 year old nephew was playing football with 5/6 of his friends yesterday on their local green. They were dispersed by 2 Guards, after we can only assume, someone reported them.

I think we need to get used to the likes of Luxembourg beating us.:rolleyes:

That was last week, all gone now for 4 weeks

My 14 year old nephew was playing football with 5/6 of his friends yesterday on their local green. They were dispersed by 2 Guards, after we can only assume, someone reported them.

I think we need to get used to the likes of Luxembourg beating us.:rolleyes:

They are playing on the green here all the time. Gardai dont looked at them even

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

They are playing on the green here all the time. Gardai dont looked at them even

Yeh, I'd imagine most gardai wouldn't bother and it's the first time I heard of it happening. Bit mad all the same .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

And they had 220 deaths in the last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

event wrote: »

restrictions are tight in most European countries despite what the "only in Ireland" mob claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yep. A lot of European countries in a bad place right now. :(

• Advertisement

Yeah they had a longer lead in time for that B.1.1.7 fecker so got to enjoy an easier time of it than us up to now. That's changing in places like Germany though.

Friend of mine is in Luxembourg at the moment and it's like a different world though. No travel limits, kids enjoying indoor trampoline parks and indoor basketball etc. I offered to come visit him and bring some of the B.1.1.7 variant with me :D Though it's interesting to note that they had similar success to us in bringing down cases in January (they were Europe's highest in Nov/Dec) with a more balanced common sense approach (mainly focused on household visits and not silly outdoor activity restrictions).

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

restrictions are tight in most European countries despite what the "only in Ireland" mob claim.

Very 2021 response- a group of people with a different view to your own is a mob!

Ireland has one of the longest lockdowns in the world. Restrictions may be tight in various places but they don’t have a ‘stay in lockdown to avoid lockdown’ approach.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Very 2021 response- a group of people with a different view to your own is a mob!

Ireland has one of the longest lockdowns in the world. Restrictions may be tight in various places but they don’t have a ‘stay in lockdown to avoid lockdown’ approach.

1. it's 2021
    2. you can insert crowd or shower, if it makes you happier.
    3. it isn't "lockdown to avoid lockdown, it's lockdown to avoid collapsing our health system.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

1. it's 2021
    2. you can insert crowd or shower, if it makes you happier.
    3. it isn't "lockdown to avoid lockdown, it's lockdown to avoid collapsing our health system.

I’m not getting into the debate but indefinite lockdown without proper leadership and guidance on a road out of this is what has a mob of people angry at seeing things being handled differently/better in other countries.
    It just seems that people nowadays (2021) can’t make a point without thinking those of a different opinion are a ‘crowd, mob, shower’.
    Time will tell what collapses the health system- at this stage it’s as likely to come from pent up demand from non Covid care coupled with crippling national debt as it is from Covid itself. History will tell I suppose. As somebody who will not be able to reopen my business forgive me for being a pissed off mob member who can look across Europe and see businesses in my sector allowed to operate albeit with some restrictions rather than shut down.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

I’m not getting into the debate but indefinite lockdown without proper leadership and guidance on a road out of this is what has a mob of people angry at seeing things being handled differently/better in other countries.
    It just seems that people nowadays (2021) can’t make a point without thinking those of a different opinion are a ‘crowd, mob, shower’.
    Time will tell what collapses the health system- at this stage it’s as likely to come from pent up demand from non Covid care coupled with crippling national debt as it is from Covid itself. History will tell I suppose. As somebody who will not be able to reopen my business forgive me for being a pissed off mob member who can look across Europe and see businesses in my sector allowed to operate albeit with some restrictions rather than shut down.

Ignore him.

Sorry to hear how this has affected your business. :(

event wrote: »

Adjusting for population that's approx 95 in Ireland in a week. Is that hugely different to what's happening here?

7-day average here is 10 per day, so 70 per week.

These deaths are "with Covid" too. How many are "of Covid" we'll never know as we are never told.

EDIT: Just making a simple comparison, before some self-righteous holier-than-though pr**k jumps in and tries to compare me to Joseph Stalin again!!

• Advertisement

For those who have blind faith in everything the Government and NPHET are doing and saying:

Mauritius is on Ireland's high risk list for mandatory hotel quarantine. Population 1.25m, total cases 871, deaths 10, no deaths in 11 months. Clear copy and paste job from the UK list, who have Mauritius on their list due to political reasons over a dispute over the Chagos Islands. Incompetence of our Government is truly staggering.

The sheer arrogance and ignorance to put a country on our risk list that has had 1.5% our total cases per million and 0.9% our total deaths per million. In other words, per capita, Ireland has had 67 times more cases and 111 times more deaths than Mauritius. Yet they are a danger to us?

How can anyone have faith in our Government and NPHET with sh1te like this?

Ignore him.

Sorry to hear how this has affected your business. :(

you're like a 12 year old girl. Josephine Stalin.
    * just editing to say its thow not though.

you're like a 12 year old girl.

Capitalise the first word there, and put hyphens in "12-year-old" , and then come back to me with your derogatory remark about me being a child of the opposite sex.

Also what has gender got to do with it? Why not say a "12-year-old boy" when you know I'm male? Are you implying something negative about a girl over a boy here?

Capitalise the first word there, and put hyphens in "12-year-old" , and then come back to me with your derogatory remark about me being a child of the opposite sex.

Also what has gender got to do with it? Why not say a "12-year-old boy" when you know I'm male? Are you implying something negative about a girl over a boy here?

yes I am.

yes I am.

Good to know where you stand on that. Says a lot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement