Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Not related to anything I said.

Why is it not different?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Statement from AI around returning to race's from June 7th.

"Our goal is to keep everyone safe as we re-open and be mindful of others around us. To assist Athletics Ireland in planning during the initial return to competition a starting number of approximately 100 people on site at any one time is recommended. Note you may have more than one wave of 100 to assist in the management of your event.

This number would include participants, officials, management and essential support personnel."

Edit. Also no spectators

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Ceepo wrote: »
    Statement from AI around returning to race's from June 7th.

"Our goal is to keep everyone safe as we re-open and be mindful of others around us. To assist Athletics Ireland in planning during the initial return to competition a starting number of approximately 100 people on site at any one time is recommended. Note you may have more than one wave of 100 to assist in the management of your event.

This number would include participants, officials, management and essential support personnel."

Edit. Also no spectators

That was on 18th May. No official announcement since. I've heard plenty of stuff through the grapevine but 12 days out from AAI Games, still nothing official.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

YFlyer wrote: »
    Why is it not different?

Most countries have taken a different approach, some countries have bigger capacity in their healthcare.

We took the European approach at xmas, due to pressure from the general public, when common sense said most people would be indoor, most viruses go around in the winter months!!!

Chivito550 wrote: »
    That was on 18th May. No official announcement since. I've heard plenty of stuff through the grapevine but 12 days out from AAI Games, still nothing official.

I think will increase that number by a good bit. Probably no spectators till the trials are over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Ah right.

That was one of 2 email's sent out today.

Main points of the 2nd one.:

From 7 June

Outdoor sports matches & competition can recommence.
    The numbers permitted at organised outdoor events is a maximum of 100 for the majority of venues, with a maximum of 200 for outdoor venues with a minimum accredited capacity of 5,000.
    Indoor facilities such as gyms, swimming pools, leisure centres and sports clubs can reopen for individual training. Sport Ireland has previously provided guidance to the sector on the delivery of individual indoor sport. This Guidance is reattached for convenience.
    Swimming lessons and classes can also resume.

From 5 July (Subject to Public Health)

The numbers permitted at outdoor organised events can further increase to a maximum of 200 for the majority of venues, with a maximum of 500 for outdoor stadia/venues with a minimum accredited capacity of 5,000

Ceepo wrote: »
    Ah right.

That was one of 2 email's sent out today.

Main points of the 2nd one.:

From 7 June

Outdoor sports matches & competition can recommence.
    The numbers permitted at organised outdoor events is a maximum of 100 for the majority of venues, with a maximum of 200 for outdoor venues with a minimum accredited capacity of 5,000.
    Indoor facilities such as gyms, swimming pools, leisure centres and sports clubs can reopen for individual training. Sport Ireland has previously provided guidance to the sector on the delivery of individual indoor sport. This Guidance is reattached for convenience.
    Swimming lessons and classes can also resume.

From 5 July (Subject to Public Health)

The numbers permitted at outdoor organised events can further increase to a maximum of 200 for the majority of venues, with a maximum of 500 for outdoor stadia/venues with a minimum accredited capacity of 5,000

Gymnastic group classes can happen also which is great

• Registered Users Posts: 9,581 ✭✭✭Cartman78

MrSkinny wrote: »
    Clew Bay Half Marathon & 10k on 18 September. Limited to 200 entrants and already 50% full according to their FB page. Ran this 3 years ago; a great race on a very scenic and challenging course. I've entered again and hopefully it'll go ahead; if anything it's a nice excuse for a weekend away from the big smoke.

Meant to follow up with you a couple of weeks ago...signed up for this and didn't think too much of it but was actually in Louisburg over the weekend and it seemed very hilly and exposed in spots....not 100% sure how close I was to the route but there's only so many roads out there it can take :-)

Anyway would be interested to hear a little bit more about the course if you can remember it? There isn't a whole lot of info online from what I can see, but I managed to track down a Garmin profile from someone on Boards back in 2011.

No worries either way

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Andru93

Any word on our beloved Athletics Ireland and their "AAI Games" that is supposed to be happening in two weeks?

Entries Open Tomorrow :)

Andru93 wrote: »
    Entries Open Tomorrow :)

Where did you hear this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Meant to follow up with you a couple of weeks ago...signed up for this and didn't think too much of it but was actually in Louisburg over the weekend and it seemed very hilly and exposed in spots....not 100% sure how close I was to the route but there's only so many roads out there it can take :-)

Anyway would be interested to hear a little bit more about the course if you can remember it? There isn't a whole lot of info online from what I can see, but I managed to track down a Garmin profile from someone on Boards back in 2011.

No worries either way

first 5 miles are steady uphill, next 4 to 5 are good running, bastard of a hill around 10 nice last 2.5 miles. It's a tough course

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Possibly the incorrect thread, a bit of sunshine and the population of certain big cities in Ireland go bat**** crazy and gather in huge crowds to celebrate?

That’ll help everyone alright!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Possibly the incorrect thread, a bit of sunshine and the population of certain big cities in Ireland go bat**** crazy and gather in huge crowds to celebrate?

If only there were controlled places they could go instead. Think Homer. Think think think...

If only there were controlled places they could go instead. Think Homer. Think think think...

Well even if there was, they wouldn't be open yet.

No problem with the crowd as outdoor, rubbish they need lessons to carry it if bins are full. They managed to carry it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

OOnegative wrote: »

****s sake, now the whole city is "bat**** crazy" for a few kids doing doing what kids do.

Just like the whole of Ireland was apparently bat**** crazy at christmas for daring to see their families.

Pearl clutching nonsense.

****s sake, now the whole city is "bat**** crazy" for a few kids doing doing what kids do.

Just like the whole of Ireland was apparently bat**** crazy at christmas for daring to see their families.

Christmas and the weekend was very different.

Weekend was outside and the chance of spreading was very low, it was the state of the place afterwards that annoyed me.

Now Christmas, the government lacked the balls to do the right thing and not open up.

No one ever said it was crazy for meeting their families, they were asked to keep contacts low before meeting their family and afterwards.

Many failed to keep contacts low and because we were meeting indoors we created a mess.

Loads managed to meet families and keep contacts low, it wasn't that hard

if the mess left behind last Saturday is "what kids do" their parents have questions to answer. Absolutely didgusting and unacceptable.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    if the mess left behind last Saturday is "what kids do" their parents have questions to answer. Absolutely didgusting and unacceptable.

Was talking to some young people there on Sat night, they couldn't believe people were just tossing cans away and not even looking around. They carried their waste for 10 mins and found empty bins no problem!!

Was talking to some young people there on Sat night, they couldn't believe people were just tossing cans away and not even looking around. They carried their waste for 10 mins and found empty bins no problem!!

Its seems the number whom behaved responsibly was very low. The volume of rubbish left behind can not be attributed to a small minority or a few bad eggs.

Are we still locked down because of fly tippers? Is that what the OP was about, or was it the continued restrictions due to Covid?

• Advertisement

Are we still locked down because of fly tippers? Is that what the OP was about, or was it the continued restrictions due to Covid?

we are locked down because of a widespread inability to follow basic instructions such as social distance, wear a mask, put your rubbish in a bin you pig etc.etc.

we are locked down because of a widespread inability to follow basic instructions such as social distance, wear a mask, put your rubbish in a bin you pig etc.etc.

So restrictions are now about littering, races are on hold because of littering. Good to know.

So restrictions are now about littering, races are on hold because of littering. Good to know.

blah

The biggest problem is the lack of recycling bins in public places. Absolutely not excusing the disgusting littering, but whether cans and plastic are littered on the ground (and therefore cleaned up after) or put in a general refuse bin, they are still ending up eventually in landfill, where they will remain for hundreds of years.

There's a bigger problem here, and nobody seems to be questioning this aspect of it at all.

Only the other day Dogs Trust posted a highly irresponsible post saying "any bag and any bin will do" around cleaning up dog sh1t. It grinds my gears seeing people use non recyclable plastic to clean up dog sh1t. This is actually worse than doing nothing at all. To see this type of messaging from Dogs Trust made me sick in the stomach. Why biodegradable bags can't be pushed for such campaigns I can't understand.

We clearly don't care about climate change and our environment.

The biggest problem is the lack of recycling bins in public places. Absolutely not excusing the disgusting littering, but whether cans and plastic are littered on the ground or put in a general refuse bin, they are still ending up eventually in landfill, where they will remain for hundreds of years.

There's a bigger problem here, and nobody seems to be questioning this aspect of it at all.

The biggest problem is the behaviour of the people involved. Everything else is a side issue.

The biggest problem is the lack of recycling bins in public places. Absolutely not excusing the disgusting littering, but whether cans and plastic are littered on the ground or put in a general refuse bin, they are still ending up eventually in landfill, where they will remain for hundreds of years.

Only the other day Dogs Trust posted a highly irresponsible post saying "any bag and any bin will do" around cleaning up dog sh1t. It grinds my gears seeing people use non recyclable plastic to clean up dog sh1t. This is actually worse than doing nothing at all. To see this type of messaging from Dogs Trust made me sick in the stomach. Why biodegradable bags can't be pushed for such campaigns I can't understand.

We clearly don't care about climate change and our environment.

100% agree, recycling doesn't seem to be happening any where except at homes.

Go to any park from St Catherines to Phoenix and no recycling facilities.

Same with the beaches sadly

The biggest problem is the behaviour of the people involved. Everything else is a side issue.

Of course. But most people are hypocrites. Anyone who uses a non recyclable plastic bag to clean up their dog's sh1t, or who puts an empty coke bottle in general refuse, doesn't care much for the environment either.

Of course. But most people are hypocrites. Anyone who uses a non recyclable plastic bag to clean up their dog's sh1t, or who puts an empty coke bottle in general refuse, doesn't care much for the environment either.

Also very few dog bins around. Down home they provide the bags and the bin. Up here nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

All major sporting events in june was added to the list.

Would you get 400 spectators at the nationals?

I don't think we should judge the value of a sporting event on the number of spectators...

For me it is about the participants: road racing should trump horse racing...

• Advertisement

Also very few dog bins around. Down home they provide the bags and the bin. Up here nothing

Lack of bins is no excuse for the type of littering that happened over the weekend at several locations around the country. Facilities can always be improved upon but no authority could cater for the volume of piggery that occured last weekend.

Advertisement