Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick child advice

Options
  • 26-02-2020 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

So our 7 year old son has been sick over the past week and he is only picking at food, lethargic and constantly going in and out of a fever. He's also lost 2kg. He is a fussy eater at the best of times.

Brought him to the doc on Monday and they couldn't find anything wrong, stating it was viral and sent him home with a referral letter for Temple Street if it got worse.

Not happy with this we went into Temple Street yesterday and a doctor did a full exam and couldn't find anything and went off got a second doctor who also did the whole exam again to no avail - again quoting a virus. Urine came back fine too.

So they decided to take some bloods and the nurse prepped him and told us to wait 30 mins. 90 mins went by so we asked for the first doctor who came out and told us to wait 10 min. He returned (obviously after consulting doctor 2) and said that they decided not to take any bloods as he's not well enough and for us to return with him in 4-5 days if he does not get better. Sent us off with no medication either.

Any advice would be great as we've never had to bring either of our kids to hospital and I'm just worried he's going to loose more weight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Make him his favourite food and try to get that into him.

Keep his fluids up.

As a side note, my first got sick brought him to hospital seen put on "a plan" all good, discharged life went on. Until a few weeks later they got sick again, we were in a relatives house and needed an ambulance, they took us to the closest hospital. Obviously seen by different Dr's a different "plan" was devised. They've been flying it since... That was a few years ago.

There's 2 other children's hospitals in Dublin, you can go for a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Is there anything that appeals to him to eat? My little boy is a fussy eater and when sick we always get him ice pops as the little bit of sugar helps stimulate his appetite and usually gets him to eat something even if it’s small. There is a horrible virus going around (High temps, no appetite, lethargic) so hopefully it’s just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Make him his favourite food and try to get that into him.

He's so indifferent when it comes to food but I suppose we could try a McDonalds. :)
    Blingy wrote: »
    My little boy is a fussy eater and when sick we always get him ice pops as the little bit of sugar helps stimulate his appetite and usually gets him to eat something even if it’s small. There is a horrible virus going around (High temps, no appetite, lethargic) so hopefully it’s just that.

Will defo try some ice cream and hopefully that will give him a little boost. Yes hopefully it is just a a virus going around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We cant have people asking for medical advice OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement