Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flexi-Rent Lost Item

Options
  • 26-02-2020 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Morning All,
    2 years ago I have signed contract with Flexirent (biggest mistake of my life) for Canon Camera witch I end up paying double for it and now it's been stolen and by the end of the contract term i have to return the item which is no longer with me, have anyone been in such situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

aniutikas wrote: »
    Morning All,
    2 years ago I have signed contract with Flexirent (biggest mistake of my life) for Canon Camera witch I end up paying double for it and now it's been stolen and by the end of the contract term i have to return the item which is no longer with me, have anyone been in such situation?

What does your contract state must happen at the end of the contract term? Usually you either return the item, or buy it. If you can’t return it, that means you probably have to “buy” it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

I got a MacBook air with them in Jan 2019 for one year rent with option to buy at the end of contract
    I rang them last month to make an "offer" (expecting 2 months extra rent) so that I could own it

the person on the line told me the flexi rent service had been finished and as a result I would automatically become the owner of the item at the end of the term - no need to make any offer and no more payments due

you always had the option to make them an offer to own the stuff at the end but I think you are in luck in that as the product (flexi rent) is no longer being offered in Ireland, you will not need to.

It might be worth ringing them to check (perhaps being conservative with what u tell them regarding stolen camera during the call wold be in your interests)

I also read horror stories about this company after I signed up with them so am glad to have gotten away from them without too much issue - altho I did pay quite a bit more than the item should have cost had I just paid cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Morning All,

What does your contract state must happen at the end of the contract term? Usually you either return the item, or buy it. If you can’t return it, that means you probably have to “buy” it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 aniutikas

Thanks for reply guys , i have actually emailed them yesterday to see whats the story and their reply was:
    Hi,

Thanks for your email.

Unfortunately the option to retain the goods and set up a new contract is no longer available. There is currently two options available:

1: Return the goods in a good working order and no further payments are due.
    2: Pay all remaining rental instalments and make an offer to purchase the goods.

Please note, Flexirent retain the right to decline or accept your offer.
    Does anyone know is it covered by any sort of the insurance ?
    As it says they will replace the item with similar product but i have to pay about two hundred for report

It says that i have to make an offer to purchase and own it or return in a same condition

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

If you don't have the camera any more, you'll have make the offer to purchase so

exactly and if you ring them to enquire they will tell you this flexi rent product is no longer available in Ireland and as a result they have close the contracts for all holders - i.e. it is your "lucky" day.

Do you suggest saying that i dont have an item ? :(

You're going to have to call them either way, it's up to you what you tell them

yeah youre going to have to call
    just tell them you heard that the flexi rent product is no longer available in Ireland and ask them for your options on how to close your account
    absolute worst case scenario you will have to make them an offer to "own" the product
    if for some reason they make u do this then obviously mention you paid twice the cost of the product over two years and would like to offer like 20 euro or something, I dunno - you should be fine as when I called them last month they just closed my acc.

• Advertisement

Thanks Naked Lepper, lucky you!
    This camera costed me a fortune not willing to pay one more 1k for it ;(

Got sorted, made them an offer which they accepted, thanks everyone for reply

Got sorted, made them an offer which they accepted, thanks everyone for reply

Great, I'm glad it worked out

hope the offer u made was very little!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

You have insurance with Flexirent, get the garda report and speak to whoever sold it to you, you just need to pay the excess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

As above, the item is fully covered for loss and theft under the flexirent insurance which you paid as part of your payments

Here's the details in the stakelums post
    https://www.stakelums.ie/blog/post/why-wait-to-buy-flexi-rent-payments-options-available-now/

It may end up as not being the biggest mistake :D

Advertisement