Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avro Vulcan Bomber

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Seen it twice up north and was instantly one of my favorite aircraft.

It's presence is incredible, the sound and the howl would give you chills.

Was very very sad seeing her fly away from Portrush for the last time, such a pity she was grounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

My Uncle was a navigator in Vulcans for 6yrs in the early/mid 70's, told me some great stories.

When i was 14 i was in the local Air Cadets in North Wales and every summer we went to a different RAF Base for Summer Camp for a week. In '85 it was RAF Waddington, we got to have a tour inside a vulcan which was cool as fcuk, the cockpit area is so tiny.

A few times a day one of these beasts would take off, the whole base shook

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭cml387

Somewhere in Pprune is(was) an entire thread I think called "Did you fly the Vulcan" which was fascinating in the detail involving QRA exercises, Cold War tension and technical detail .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

YbFocus wrote: »
    Seen it twice up north and was instantly one of my favorite aircraft.

It's presence is incredible, the sound and the howl would give you chills.

Was very very sad seeing her fly away from Portrush for the last time, such a pity she was grounded.

Saw it may times over the years, but I'll never forget the sight of her coming in low and smokey from over the causeway that day. Absolutely teared up as she departed - a beautiful aircraft never to grace our skies again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

BeardySi wrote: »
    Saw it may times over the years, but I'll never forget the sight of her coming in low and smokey from over the causeway that day. Absolutely teared up as she departed - a beautiful aircraft never to grace our skies again.

The very same, was tough that day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭cml387

Since I mentioned the thread in PPRUNE, here it is.

Advertisement