Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

426 New Houses approved for Delgany/Farrankelly

• 26-02-2020 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Cairn homes have had approval granted in Delgany,
    How on earth can the infrastructure support this?

Link

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Cairn homes have had approval granted in Delgany,
    How on earth can the infrastructure support this?

Link

here's the planning site for the Farrankelly SHD:
    https://www.farrankellyshdplanning.com/

there are another 350 going in at Charlesland ("Glenheron 3")
    https://www.cairngreystonesshd.com/

Also a lot of houses planned for Delgany and Newtown; and proposals for Kilcoole.

As for infrastructure:
    • there's a new secondary school opening in Charlesland (beside the Glenheron 3 development);
    • the new 24 class primary school is about to open across the road from there.
    • There are sports facilities included in the Farrankelly plan;
    • some community enterprise buildings in the Glenheron plan.
    • Works to enable a 20 minute DART service are in planning
    • BusConnects will increase the bus frequencies
    • N11 upgrade is in planning, will hopefully include bus-priority measures

I'm not saying this is sufficient, it's just a list of what's planned - in particular traffic in the town itself is becoming chronic at certain times of the day and building large housing estates on the outskirts is just going to encourage more driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

Look nice. I hear your concerns aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It cant. Greystones is bulging and cant cope.

Public transport cant/wont cope.

Charlesland needed a youth centre 5 years ago.

Schools cant cope with waiting lists

Traffic will become more of a nightmare.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

Stop building more homes!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

jpd wrote: »
    Stop building more homes in such a chaotic and uncoordinated manner without any ½ descent infrastructure in place!

FYP

• Advertisement

It cant. Greystones is bulging and cant cope.

Public transport cant/wont cope.

Charlesland needed a youth centre 5 years ago.

Schools cant cope with waiting lists

Traffic will become more of a nightmare.

These problems aren't insurmountable, though the traffic issue will (like everywhere in Ireland) require a serious attitude change.

I'd rather Greystones stayed the same size it was when I grew up here, but I'd be a hypocrite to say "this far and no further under any circumstances" as I've lived in Charlesland and other estates that people made the same complaints about when they were built.

At the end of the day, it's still not a large town; the expansion is the price we pay for living in the commuter belt. It was inevitable from the day the Dart opened, and the estates to the south of the town were inevitable from the day the Farrankelly road was built (I fully expect development all the way up to the N11 eventually).

The main thing is to stay on the back of the local politicians to ensure facilities keep pace with development. Schools are being built - is there enough capacity? I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

loyatemu wrote: »
    These problems aren't insurmountable, though the traffic issue will (like everywhere in Ireland) require a serious attitude change.

I'd rather Greystones stayed the same size it was when I grew up here, but I'd be a hypocrite to say "this far and no further under any circumstances" as I've lived in Charlesland and other estates that people made the same complaints about when they were built.

At the end of the day, it's still not a large town; the expansion is the price we pay for living in the commuter belt. It was inevitable from the day the Dart opened, and the estates to the south of the town were inevitable from the day the Farrankelly road was built (I fully expect development all the way up to the N11 eventually).

The main thing is to stay on the back of the local politicians to ensure facilities keep pace with development. Schools are being built - is there enough capacity? I don't know.

They are not insurmountable, though there is a lack of joined up thinking and planning between local government, regional government, national government, national agencies e.g. The dept of education won't build schools parallel to new development (they wait between 5-15 years), the National Transport Authority is limited in developing train services south of Greystones because it is not a strategic priority set out by the Eastern and Midlands Regional Assembly.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

Stop building more homes!

During the worst housing crisis ever in the State.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

I was being sarcastic - everyone wants more homes built but just not here!

We need to build homes where people want to live which, in this state, is as close to Dublin as possible for the majority of the population. I am tired of listening to people complaining about more homes being built when they should be complaining about the lack of strategic planning and infrastructure provision

More frequent DARTs would be great but unless we spend a fortune building a new line from Bray to Greystones under Bray Head, this is not very feasible. Widening the N11 is on the way but won't be done for 10 years or so.

Increasing the density within Dublin is the way to go - but that's a no no in many quarters, so suburbs and long commutes are the only other solution available

I was being sarcastic - everyone wants more homes built but just not here!

We need to build homes where people want to live which, in this state, is as close to Dublin as possible for the majority of the population. I am tired of listening to people complaining about more homes being built when they should be complaining about the lack of strategic planning and infrastructure provision

More frequent DARTs would be great but unless we spend a fortune building a new line from Bray to Greystones under Bray Head, this is not very feasible. Widening the N11 is on the way but won't be done for 10 years or so.

Increasing the density within Dublin is the way to go - but that's a no no in many quarters, so suburbs and long commutes are the only other solution available

increasing the density inside the M50 is certainly required and there is plenty of land available. People will still want to live in Greystones though because it's a nice location. There are cheaper places to live closer to town, yet people still choose to move to Greystones.

It's not like people moving to Portlaoise or wherever because they can't afford to live in Dublin; Greystones (and Wicklow in general) is an attractive, commutable place to live in it's own right. You can stop building here, but demand will remain high, prices will go up and local people (and their kids etc) won't be able to afford to live here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement