Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowel blockage but too old to operate

• 26-02-2020 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭

Not looking for medical advise but my dad is 79 has lot of health issues but lives well enough day to day. He has always had problems with adhesions and has had a few surgeries for this. We thought he would be operated on again as symptoms were as before. Tests were done but Dr said he is too old. He was recently diagnosed with dementia but it's mild enough. He was a non hodkins lymphoma but seems to be under control with long term treatment.

So is he has a blockage but can't be operated on what will happen. I'm puzzled.

Thanks anyone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

No medical advice permitted, especially of the heresay type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Of course if he is frail then operating on him could cause immense pain, prolonged recovery even death.

I would not take advice from people on the internet about fasting your elderly father. He could get very dehydrated and collapse and it could damage his kidneys. Definitely could hurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ReneeCali

margo321 wrote: »
    Not looking for medical advise but my dad is 79 has lot of health issues but lives well enough day to day. He has always had problems with adhesions and has had a few surgeries for this. We thought he would be operated on again as symptoms were as before. Tests were done but Dr said he is too old. He was recently diagnosed with dementia but it's mild enough. He was a non hodkins lymphoma but seems to be under control with long term treatment.

So is he has a blockage but can't be operated on what will happen. I'm puzzled.

Thanks anyone.

I would get a second opinion. Even if you have to go private, get a second opinion. At a minimum they should do an assessment of fitness for surgery.

Keep pushing OP.

Advertisement