Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking at a Lenovo L340

• 26-02-2020 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hey, as per the title I'm looking at a Lenovo L340. With a student discount I can get the following configurations:

642.99 euro
    Intel Core i5-9300HF Processor (2.40GHz, up to 4.10GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 8MB Cache)
    8GB DDR4 2400MHz SoDIMM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 3GB GDDR5

768.99 euro
    Intel Core i7-9750HF Processor (2.60GHz, up to 4.50GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 Cores, 12MB Cache) +90e
    16GB DDR4 2400MHz SoDIMM +50e
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1650 4GB GDDR5 +50e

My main use will be for work and programming. So virtual machines and IDE's will be the heaviest usage. I would like the option for some gaming but not overly concerned.

Is this about as good an option as I'll get at this price point or any other suggestions?

Comments

not great for gaming as only single channel ram i.e. just one ram slot.
    dual channel improves gaming perf a lot.
    e,g, you can see the fps being 40 to 50% more here (same specs except for 1 v 2 ram sticks)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k5wA7EFwpo

if you're not truely not overly concerned about gaming I'd look elswhere and if you are get a gaming laptop with dual channel ram

edit - fixed link!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

Think you posted the wrong link Glasso! :)

Thanks for the input, didn't realise there was such a performance boost with 1 stick vs 2 sticks.

I was mainly drawn to Lenovo as I would get the student discount. Any suggestions on where else to look out there?

Mainly looking for <= 800e, windows 10, use is mainly programming with light gaming on the side (age of empires 2).

I've had a look on the Dell site and come across this G3 Model.

9th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-9300H (8MB Cache, up to 4.1 GHz, 4 cores)
    Windows 10 Home
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
    8GB 2x4GB DDR4 2666MHz - Expandable to 32gb
    512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive

There's a 14% off deal at the moment so I'd be able to get it for about 816e.

the g3 is ok - here is a review

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-G3-15-3590-Laptop-Review-Inexpensive-with-Easy-Upgrades.436972.0.html

such a pity that the lenovo L is single channel as it's a good deal with that cpu and the 16gb ram - could almost risk it at that price... maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Peck3277 wrote: »

I was mainly drawn to Lenovo as I would get the student discount.
    If you are talking about the Unidays discount, then be careful, because this week I could put it was fake. I was in the Lenovo website, also looking at the same models. The Unidays "discounted price" was about 35e more expensive than the standard price for everyone else. So make sure you check both prices before buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Eegorbishcan

I've had a look on the Dell site and come across this G3 Model.

9th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-9300H (8MB Cache, up to 4.1 GHz, 4 cores)
    Windows 10 Home
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
    8GB 2x4GB DDR4 2666MHz - Expandable to 32gb
    512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive

There's a 14% off deal at the moment so I'd be able to get it for about 816e.

What's the code for the 14% at the minute, (only just missed the one mid month that was GIFT14) but I can't find anything on their website?

It's PLAY14, not sure if it's only for the G3 though?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Eegorbishcan

It's PLAY14, not sure if it's only for the G3 though?

Cheers pal.... I think it's only on gaming laptops as it doesn't work for me, found this with a few codes on it if it's helpful to anyone about to order from Dell.ie, (although it might only be for outlet deals)

https://www.dell.com/learn/ie/en/iedfh1/campaigns/shop-outlet-deals-ie

Advertisement