Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arthriaid

• 26-02-2020 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My vet recommended arthriaid for my old lab (12.5 years). Tbh I don’t think her arthritis is bad....anyway is this the best thing to buy? If so am I better getting it off the vet....she has pet insurance.

Currently I am getting propalin for her from vet at €85 a bottle....viovet sell it for £41.50 After insurance it is costing me €30 so that is not too bad.

Thanks a mil
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Arthriaid is a food supplement, not a medicine, so I'm not sure if it's covered by pet insurance. We gave it to our cat for a number of years, although I'm not sure if it had any effect to be honest. The dosage was quite low, and we didn't use that much of it so got it at the vet as it was also relatively cheap, but for a dog the dosage would be higher so might be worth looking at getting it from the UK. We used vetuk.co.uk for other similar things in the past and they were the cheapest, but as always shop around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Millem wrote: »
    Hi all,

My vet recommended arthriaid for my old lab (12.5 years). Tbh I don’t think her arthritis is bad....anyway is this the best thing to buy? If so am I better getting it off the vet....she has pet insurance.

Currently I am getting propalin for her from vet at €85 a bottle....viovet sell it for £41.50 After insurance it is costing me €30 so that is not too bad.

Thanks a mil
    :)

The thing I’d say about arthritis the key is to start treatment before it gets bad not when it gets bad.

I didn’t find arthriaid any good but I did find Yumove advance 360 (also ordered via your vet and reclaimable via Allianz)

Personally no one thing ‘works wonders’ a multi action / layered treatment plan is the best outcome for the dog long term:

Good quality supplements
    Pain relief (galliprant if needed)
    Tumeric paste
    Bone broth daily / chicken feet

Keep weight down

Decent orthopedic dog bed

Hydro therapy
    Cold laser therapy
    Acupuncture

By putting a few things in place will make a huge difference long term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Alun wrote: »
    Arthriaid is a food supplement, not a medicine, so I'm not sure if it's covered by pet insurance. We gave it to our cat for a number of years, although I'm not sure if it had any effect to be honest. The dosage was quite low, and we didn't use that much of it so got it at the vet as it was also relatively cheap, but for a dog the dosage would be higher so might be worth looking at getting it from the UK. We used vetuk.co.uk for other similar things in the past and they were the cheapest, but as always shop around.

I claimed for arthriaid years ago on pet insurance.
    Anyway if I get it online I presume I can’t claim?

Also got these outrageously expensive supplements for her liver....can’t remember the name they are blue and a week’s supply was meant to be €80!!! I was told I can claim these back!

The vet also suggested these injections which I have said no to. Not putting her through anything else....she has had lots of tests recently and gets very stressed in car/vet.

I claimed for arthriaid years ago on pet insurance.
    Anyway if I get it online I presume I can’t claim?

Also got these outrageously expensive supplements for her liver....can’t remember the name they are blue and a week’s supply was meant to be €80!!! I was told I can claim these back!

The vet also suggested these injections which I have said no to. Not putting her through anything else....she has had lots of tests recently and gets very stressed in car/vet.

OP no you can only reclaim stuff you buy via your vet...

You also say your not putting her through anything else ... don’t understand estimate pain here dogs are very good at hiding it .. personally I’d rather a pain free dog and get the injections (if they help) than a dog suffering in silence

cocker5 wrote: »
    OP no you can only reclaim stuff you buy via your vet...

You also say your not putting her through anything else ... don’t understand estimate pain here dogs are very good at hiding it .. personally I’d rather a pain free dog and get the injections (if they help) than a dog suffering in silence

Tbh my previous dog had arthritis so I am comparing it to her. She gets very very stressed in vet. So much so it affects her heart rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Good quality marine fish oil like Omega Wild is what you want to start with. Canine Arthritis management have loads of resources on what to look for, how to gauge if it's working, body scoring etc etc so a really good resource. https://caninearthritis.co.uk

tk123 wrote: »
    Good quality marine fish oil like Omega Wild is what you want to start with. Canine Arthritis management have loads of resources on what to look for, how to gauge if it's working, body scoring etc etc so a really good resource. https://caninearthritis.co.uk

Amazing might try that! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Amazing might try that! Thanks

It's usually cheaper on Amazon than from their own website! ;) Also not as smelly as salmon oil and very high quality. When we had Lucy's diet made up Nordic Naturals was recommended at three times the price(!) - the nutritionalist cleared it after checking the quality, what plant it was from etc etc

Tbh my previous dog had arthritis so I am comparing it to her. She gets very very stressed in vet. So much so it affects her heart rate.

Totally understand my guy was the same x try giving her something to relax her before a vet trip may help .. rescue remedy etc

cocker5 wrote: »
    Totally understand my guy was the same x try giving her something to relax her before a vet trip may help .. rescue remedy etc

We are taking a break from the vets at the mo. She has had a lot of appointments and investigations lately so just want to leave her for a while tbh. She has another issue going on at the minute which I suspect is a major problem but we can’t get a definitive answer as I don’t want to put her under a GA.
    There is no treatment for it anyway.

Her next appointment is in 4 weeks. I am happy to just try her on a arthritis supplement for the month.

• Advertisement

We are taking a break from the vets at the mo. She has had a lot of appointments and investigations lately so just want to leave her for a while tbh. She has another issue going on at the minute which I suspect is a major problem but we can’t get a definitive answer as I don’t want to put her under a GA.
    There is no treatment for it anyway.

Her next appointment is in 4 weeks. I am happy to just try her on a arthritis supplement for the month.

Makes sense x I hope she’s doing ok

I feel your pain my 14 year old cocker who had a grade 2 heart murmur, hip dysplasia and arthritis was diagnosed with liver cancer last July .. moved to his spleen and squashing on his pancreas giving Him pancreatitis symptoms... nothing we could do :( ... we said goodbye.. 3 weeks later x it’s awful

I feel for you .. uncertainty and the worry it’s awful
    X I wish her well

Advertisement