Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reliant on medication

• 26-02-2020 7:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

This is just a post asking for advice not a medical question. So the start of last month, I started taking an antipsychotic called risperidone. It's been shown effective in reducing the negative symptoms of people on the autistic spectrum.

I'm now doing well in school and even my teachers think so. My mother is supportive but my father is a bit iffy. He says that you can't function in a high paying job if you're on medications like I am but I beg to differ. Okay, maybe he's right but right now my outlook on life has changed so I feel that boost of confidence I've never had.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Nobody can give you medical advice but unless your father is a doctor I'd ignore his advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

If you feel it is working for you then that is enough. What year are you in in school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You have to rely on the advice of a dr i am not sure anyone here can help you with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

If you feel it is working for you then that is enough. What year are you in in school?

I'm doing a PLC but have gotten good enough marks so I think I'l get a distinction hopefully to enable me to enter college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I'm doing a PLC but have gotten good enough marks so I think I'l get a distinction hopefully to enable me to enter college.

Great to hear you are feeling better and doing better 👍🏻 Good to hear both parents are looking after you....I’d stick with what your doctor is prescribing you and maybe go to a second doctor if you are looking for more medical advice...Keep talking to your parents all the time and keep them up to date on your mental health 👍🏻

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭foodaholic

If you where diabetic you wouldn’t think twice about taking insulin.
    Your the ultimate judge if your meds are working for you.
    Don’t let someone’s misguided prejudices about medications influence your decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

My dad warned me about going on statins as I'd be on them for life. (As he is and he's now 90)

My doctor told me that if have a 1 in 10 chance of a stroke or heart attack if I didn't take them and 1 in 100 chance if I did.

I decided to take the advice of the trained medical professional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

1. Being happy and comfortable in life is more important than anything. If you don't have your mental health, everything else is background noise.

2. Having a high-paying job is one possible goal in life, not the only one. Your father is wrong in any case - I would argue that most people in high-paying jobs are probably medicating to some level - whether that be prescription drugs, narcotics or alcohol.

But at the end of the day, having a high-paying job won't make you happy. If you make that your only goal in life, you'll eventually be 50, loaded, and you hate yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

zoobizoo wrote: »
    My dad warned me about going on statins as I'd be on them for life. (As he is and he's now 90)

My doctor told me that if have a 1 in 10 chance of a stroke or heart attack if I didn't take them and 1 in 100 chance if I did.

I decided to take the advice of the trained medical professional

Your dad is right - statins are for life - a longer life!

This is just a post asking for advice not a medical question. So the start of last month, I started taking an antipsychotic called risperidone. It's been shown effective in reducing the negative symptoms of people on the autistic spectrum.

I'm now doing well in school and even my teachers think so. My mother is supportive but my father is a bit iffy. He says that you can't function in a high paying job if you're on medications like I am but I beg to differ. Okay, maybe he's right but right now my outlook on life has changed so I feel that boost of confidence I've never had.

OP I'm not 100% sure what kind of advice you're looking for.

You've said you're taking medical advice, you're doing well, your teachers are pleased, your mother is supportive, you're feeling confident, and you're thinking about college and your future career.

OP it sounds like you're doing great.

If your father isn't as supportive, you can either ignore him or prove him wrong. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

zoobizoo wrote: »
    My dad warned me about going on statins as I'd be on them for life. (As he is and he's now 90)l

Actually, while each case is individual, not everyone has to be on them for life. I know some people who were on them for a fixed period of time, until the impact of certain life-style changes kicked in eg losing weight or lowering blood pressure.

OP, the fact you're doing much better on the meds is brilliant. Maybe point out to your dad, that since you're functioning much better now, you'd be far more able to cope with that 'high-flying' job (assuming you want this) than you would without the medication!

I believe, in time when he sees how well you're doing, there a good chance he'll come round!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Mod note:

Medical advice is STRICTLY not allowed on boards.

OP please discuss any potential drug interactions with a healthcare professional.

Advertisement