Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New gas boiler advise

• 26-02-2020 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My old plumber has retired and no longer lives in the area so I want to make sure what my new plumber is telling me is correct. I currently have a Vokera Mynute 28se which is barely running and needs to be replaced. My plumber is recommending a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30i condensing boiler to replace it. He says the job will cost roughly 1900 euros which seems expensive because someone told me today it should only cost 1700 or so.

The plumber said that a filter of some sort needs to be put on the pipework near the boiler and a pipe needs to be drilled outside the house from the new boiler. My old plumber put in a pressure vessel under the boiler to make it work better 3 years ago and the new plumber said this can come out because it's not needed with the new boiler. I don't know much about heating so any advise is appreciated.

Edit: I should add that I have a climote installed so he's not supplying any controls or timers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The plumber said that a filter of some sort needs to be put on the pipework near the boiler and a pipe needs to be drilled outside the house from the new boiler. My old plumber put in a pressure vessel under the boiler to make it work better 3 years ago and the new plumber said this can come out because it's not needed with the new boiler. I don't know much about heating so any advise is appreciated.

I don't do boilers but price quoted may actually be a bit too cheap. He's obviously not including a power flush in that price & you probably need one. The filter is a Magnaclean of some kind. This will prolonge the life of the boiling & keep the heating system running better. There must be an expansion vessel inside the boiler so the one under the sink is no longer required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

That's a great price for that job.

I have the same boiler and can't recommend it enough.

The plumber probably knows more about the job than "someone". How extensive was "someone's" survey of your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

That's a very good price, but as mentioned make sure it includes a power flush to clean out any gunk in pipes before new boiler is installed. I paid 2100 for an Arrriston combi one condensing boiler + filter + power flush last year. The Worcester Bosch is a far better boiler than mine.

The pipe going outside is a small diameter pipe that drains away the condensate fluid from the boiler itself & your new boiler will have a brand new perfectly working pressure vessel so you won't need the external one your old plumber provided any-more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chargedforlife

That's a great price for that job.

I have the same boiler and can't recommend it enough.

The plumber probably knows more about the job than "someone". How extensive was "someone's" survey of your house?

It was neighbour of mine who told me they got their boiler changed last year and the plumber charged 1700 euros. It was a Vokera boiler that they got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It was neighbour of mine who told me they got their boiler changed last year and the plumber charged 1700 euros. It was a Vokera boiler that they got.

Again I state that I don't do boilers but I am a plumber and I do know that there are cheap jobs & good jobs. That not to say that the dearest one is the best.

It's a big purchase and you want value for money. Power flush may be required for the warranty & it will definitely leave your system in tip top condition. The magna clean is a must too. It prolongs the life of the boiler and along with the power flush improves the flow of the rads. The neighbours next door most likely didn't get the correct job done.

There are some great RGI guys on here. Hopefully they will be along to give better information than us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 chargedforlife

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Again I state that I don't do boilers but I am a plumber and I do know that there are cheap jobs & good jobs. That not to say that the dearest one is the best.

It's a big purchase and you want value for money. Power flush may be required for the warranty & it will definitely leave your system in tip top condition. The magna clean is a must too. It prolongs the life of the boiler and along with the power flush improves the flow of the rads. The neighbours next door most likely didn't get the correct job done.

There are some great RGI guys on here. Hopefully they will be along to give better information than us

The new plumber came highly recommended by others & has done a few small jobs in the house like fixing a toilet that wouldn't flush and changing the hot water tank in the hotpress last year. He seems to be very careful about how he leaves the house and while not as cheap as my old plumber wasn't overly expensive. I was just worried that he was now taking advantage as he had our trust. The neighbour had no filter, I looked up magna clean on google since you mentioned it and she must not have one because she would have noticed it due to it's size.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Good price, good boiler, fitting a magna clean also good.
    But I would leave the extra vessel that was perviously fitted (most boiler internal vessels are undersized for a house, so no harm leaving it there)

As above make sure your system is cleansed and flushed before new boiler fitted

Advertisement