Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing thermostat

• 27-02-2020 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I have a Heatmiser DS1-L v1 thermostat in our upstairs hallway. It controls the air source heat pump for all rads upstairs.
    I'd like to replace it with a receiver and wireless thermostat and have the thermostat in the master bedroom. The hallway has no rads so there's often a huge difference in temperature between it and the rooms.

Can anyone recommend something for the job?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Deanicus

I believe that the general advice is to keep wired thermostats in the halls because they do tend to be colder

Having said that you could look into a smart heating system like tado

I've had it for a couple of years and it works great

You might get away with one of their radiator thermostats and the extension kit. Replace your current heating controller with the extension kit and install the rad stat in the master bedroom. That way you can control the heat separately in your bedroom

I'm not 100% sure if your existing wired stat will work in this scenario though so you might need one of their room stats.

If it is something you are interested in, their support is very good. You could call them to explain your setup and what you want to do and they will tell you what will work

It is expensive enough though so there might be a much simpler way to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Conar

Deanicus wrote: »
    I believe that the general advice is to keep wired thermostats in the halls because they do tend to be colder

Having said that you could look into a smart heating system like tado

I've had it for a couple of years and it works great

You might get away with one of their radiator thermostats and the extension kit. Replace your current heating controller with the extension kit and install the rad stat in the master bedroom. That way you can control the heat separately in your bedroom

I'm not 100% sure if your existing wired stat will work in this scenario though so you might need one of their room stats.

If it is something you are interested in, their support is very good. You could call them to explain your setup and what you want to do and they will tell you what will work

It is expensive enough though so there might be a much simpler way to do it

Thanks for the response. The hallway has no vents or windows and it's actually usually warmer than the bedrooms. If we turn up the heat though often it gets too hot in the bedrooms because there are no rads in the hallway. (Rads on full but doors are closed so hallway doesn't see the temperature change the rooms do)
    So it's a strange situation that probably warrants the stat being moved.

I've enough smart tech in the house already and the heating runs 24/7 so I don't really want to go down the smart route if I can avoid it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭froshtyv

Conar wrote: »
    Hi.

I have a Heatmiser DS1-L v1 thermostat in our upstairs hallway. It controls the air source heat pump for all rads upstairs.
    I'd like to replace it with a receiver and wireless thermostat and have the thermostat in the master bedroom. The hallway has no rads so there's often a huge difference in temperature between it and the rooms.

Can anyone recommend something for the job?

Heatmiser Slimline RF thermostat and an RF switch will do what you want it to do.
    The RF switch will need to be located beside your motorised valve as you will have to hardwire between the heatmiser receiver and valve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Conar

froshtyv wrote: »
    Heatmiser Slimline RF thermostat and an RF switch will do what you want it to do.
    The RF switch will need to be located beside your motorised valve as you will have to hardwire between the heatmiser receiver and valve

I had thought that replacing the wired stat with a switch/transmittor would do for now (and that I could do it myself) and maybe would put wireless switches/transmittors on the valves down the line when I could afford to get an electrician in and then put wireless stats in a few rooms.

Do you reckon it'll need to be done at the valve/actuator level anyway?
    Essentially the house has 2 zones; downstairs underfloor, and upstairs rads.
    Each room, unless I'm much mistaken, has its own actuator valve but they are wired together into 2 zones.

Most of the thermostats I see seem to want to control hot water too but the Daikan Altherma heat pump does all that.

Advertisement