Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Comments

yabadabado wrote: »
    That could happen in dozens of situations. These people choose to fly and should be aware of the risks beforehand.
    Planes are by their very nature perfect places to spread the virus and social distancing is near impossible.None of that should be news to the people on board that flight

No one willing to take some personal responsibility anymore.

Agreed. I'm supposed to be back at work in China right now. I'm not flying out yet because I'm not comfortable with the measures being taken by airports or airlines. I'll probably fly out in a months time when some real effort has been made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭sporina

are travel insurance companies giving refunds for trip cancelled? not flights but tours etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

But you have to go in to the supermarket, you need to exercise, etc. Was everybody's flight really necessary?
    I have no sympathy for anybody on the flight, just anybody who is infected by such a bell end.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

xzanti wrote: »
    Going to Tenerife in July.

Spoke with my travel agent yesterday on a different matter and brought up the subject.

She informed me that in the event that our hotel is quarantined as per the hotel in the news, the hotel price will be refunded, but not the flights.

Full holiday will only be refunded if the Department of Foreign Affairs issues a statement that the Island is a no-go.

As it stands; I fully intend on going on my holiday.

Update:

I was given the option by my travel agent to wait and see if the July flights are cancelled, resulting in a cash refund (but could take months). Or cancel our flights now and avail of the 110% vouchers.

I took the vouchers and I'm not planning to try to travel this year.

I have my vouchers for next year and that's what I'll be working towards.

Not worth the stress and hassle of watching and waiting to see what happens imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 avg3078

It would be interesting to know what personal situations people find themselves in during these crazy times. Surely I am not the only one greatly affected by the lack of air travel.

We are a multinational family living in Ireland. Neither my husband nor I have relatives in Ireland. When the schools closed suddently on the 12 March I made a quick decision to fly to my parents as my 4 young kids would be very bored at home for 5 weeks of no school and playschool. I could have never imagined that I would be stuck at my parents for months to come. Shortly after we arrived countries closed borders and there are still no flights. My husband stayed behind and now he can't see the children and children are left without their father.
    It's a horrible situation to be in, I don't know if we will be able to return home before the new school year. The Irish Embassy can't help us as we are not Irish citizens even though we've been living in Ireland for more than 10 years, we own a house and my kids were born there.
    At the same time I am worried if we leave for home we will not be able to see my parents for a long time. It feels unreal that this is accually happening in the 21 century.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

avg3078 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know what personal situations people find themselves in during these crazy times. Surely I am not the only one greatly affected by the lack of air travel.

We are a multinational family living in Ireland. Neither my husband nor I have relatives in Ireland. When the schools closed suddently on the 12 March I made a quick decision to fly to my parents as my 4 young kids would be very bored at home for 5 weeks of no school and playschool. I could have never imagined that I would be stuck at my parents for months to come. Shortly after we arrived countries closed borders and there are still no flights. My husband stayed behind and now he can't see the children and children are left without their father.
    It's a horrible situation to be in, I don't know if we will be able to return home before the new school year. The Irish Embassy can't help us as we are not Irish citizens even though we've been living in Ireland for more than 10 years, we own a house and my kids were born there.
    At the same time I am worried if we leave for home we will not be able to see my parents for a long time. It feels unreal that this is accually happening in the 21 century.

If Ireland is your "home" then why didn't you quarantine here, why did you up sticks and run. I have no sympathy for you. Sorry.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Land travel is still possible between some countries if you have a valid reason, or at least that's what they say I'm not actually sure how it works in practice. Germany for example will let you in for travelling through them or work. And it will always be possible to travel in to your home country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,881 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You made a decision and now you have to live with it, unfortunately. My housemate flew to Spain on March 13th to be with her parents and is now thoroughly sick of them and annoyed that she's "stuck" there but she flew out in the full knowledge that she wouldn't be able to get home any time soon. You had to have known you'd be in the same situation, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 AineM2013

Hi there

Hoping someone can advise/help me.

I’ve to take my son to the UK in the coming days to stay with his father. I plan to take him on the ferry as a foot passenger from Dublin to Holyhead, and return on the same day myself.

I’m just wondering when I get to the UK will they allow me back on my return journey to Dublin? I see they have 14 day quarantine requirement or are about to introduce same.

Any advice help would be great.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

AineM2013 wrote: »
    Hi there

Hoping someone can advise/help me.

I’ve to take my son to the UK in the coming days to stay with his father. I plan to take him on the ferry as a foot passenger from Dublin to Holyhead, and return on the same day myself.

I’m just wondering when I get to the UK will they allow me back on my return journey to Dublin? I see they have 14 day quarantine requirement or are about to introduce same.

Any advice help would be great.

Thanks
    Doesn't apply to travel from Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 avg3078

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You had to have known you'd be in the same situation, surely?

No, did they tell us on the 13th March that there would be a world wide lockdown and there won't be airplanes flying? They closed schools for 2 weeks till the 29th.
    My post was to find people in similar situations not to get judged or be pitied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

It could but what has been proven beyond question is prolonged exposure to someone breathing out Coronavirus infected air. Two hours in a plane is high risk.

How are you managing to go shopping or get on public transport? Do you have any idea how long air stays inside an aircraft for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

avg3078 wrote: »
    No, did they tell us on the 13th March that there would be a world wide lockdown and there won't be airplanes flying? They closed schools for 2 weeks till the 29th.
    My post was to find people in similar situations not to get judged or be pitied.

You mentioned 5 weeks in your original post?

When you say "they" do you mean the government?

Its a rapidly changing environment and you took the decision to leave your home ,its on you and no one else.It boils down to personal responsibility again.

You must have known there was huge risks with the way the virus had been spreading in the previous 8-10 weeks ?

Even if you were an irish citizen I dont think the embassy could help you at present or even what help you are seeking from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Even if you were an irish citizen I dont think the embassy could help you at present or even what help you are seeking from them.

Depends on where you are located, the Irish embassies around the world have coordinated repatriation flights for Irish citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

LeYouth wrote: »
    If Ireland is your "home" then why didn't you quarantine here, why did you up sticks and run. I have no sympathy for you. Sorry.

Already outlined, to see her parents. They have no family in Ireland. No one foresaw this happening, no need for that tone at all. Plus every country has slight differences in how they are handling their lockdowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Hi guys, just asking here as the webchat on DFA website is not working.

I see Dublin Airport have live flights coming/going to UK, Amsterdam, Berlin, Chicago & New York the last few weeks

I know Ryanair have said they will resume most of their flights by July 1st all going well.

My friend travelled to see a very ill relative about 6 weeks ago and said she wasn't asked for proof of anything despite expecting to have been.

My question is, I know Italy are opening their borders in June, will I be able to travel in July if Ryanair has resumed their flights?

The DFA 'advice' is a little bit misleading in that it says we are advised not to travel, not that we are not permitted.

Can you clear this up for me, have any of you travelled during the pandemic and were you stopped and questioned? asked for proof of where/ why you were going?

(and no, I'm not planning on going on holiday before anyone cracks up :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

My question is, I know Italy are opening their borders in June, will I be able to travel in July if Ryanair has resumed their flights?
    Flight services are suspended until the dates outlined in link, however these may be subject to change so don't go booking just yet.
    https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2020/03/27/29-airlines-suspend-services-at-dublin-airport-due-to-covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ck0

Hi there,
    I am struggling to find any answers online about the following case and I hope you will be able to assist. Maybe someone already had similar experience?
    My parents are working in Spain and theirs contract is due to finish at the end of June. Theirs home is in another EU country. We have booked flights for them through Dublin - in July they are coming to Dublin, stay here for 3 days and then continue with the flight to theirs home country (EU). In light of current situation of Covid-19 and 14 days self-isolation for those who arrive from another country, will that require my parents to stay for at least 14 days in Ireland before they can fly to the home country? Perhaps there are some exceptions for that no? This is with assumption that by July this 14 day self-isolation won't be lifted.
    My another concern is theirs stay as guests in my house - is that allowed or they have to find some place to leave where they won't be able to interact with anyone (hotel?) ?
    Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Hi

I am just wondering when is it likely that flights will resume between Dublin and a London again.
    Also am I write in saying that people traveling from ireland don’t have to self isolate when we travel to the uk but we do when we return to Ireland.
    And
    does this mean giving your address to customs?

Kind Regards
    Molly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

My understanding from the official Gov FAQ is: No - until the 20 July (phase 4).
    The current rules apply till then.

"there is a nationwide restriction on travel outside of 5 kilometres from your home, except for the reasons listed"
    "- to travel to and from work
    - to attend medical appointments
    - for vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people - but excluding social family visits"
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/#transport-and-travel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

otnomart wrote: »
    My understanding from the official Gov FAQ is: No - until the 20 July (phase 4).
    The current rules apply till then.

"there is a nationwide restriction on travel outside of 5 kilometres from your home, except for the reasons listed"
    "- to travel to and from work
    - to attend medical appointments
    - for vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people - but excluding social family visits"
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/#transport-and-travel

The 5km limit changes to 20km form 8th June ie in Phase 2.

Squiggle wrote: »
    The 5k limit changes to 20k form 8th June ie in Phase 2.
    That's great,

However 5KM and then 20KM is the total distance for which travelling (for not essential reasons) is allowed.
    Being within 5KMs (and then 20KM) from the airport is not (per se) a valid reason to go to the airport and then catch a flight.

The valid reasons to travel are only these three: work, medical, or urgent family assistance, to children or parents (which does not mean a "normal" family visit).

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

molly09 wrote: »
    Hi

I am just wondering when is it likely that flights will resume between Dublin and a London again.
    Also am I write in saying that people traveling from ireland don’t have to self isolate when we travel to the uk but we do when we return to Ireland.
    And
    does this mean giving your address to customs?

Kind Regards
    Molly

Flights have never stopped. You can go there and back any time. You have never been obliged to give your address.

That's great,

However 5KM and then 20KM is the total distance for which travelling (for not essential reasons) is allowed.
    Being within 5KMs (and then 20KM) from the airport is not (per se) a valid reason to go to the airport and then catch a flight.

The valid reasons to travel are only these three: work, medical, or urgent family assistance, to children or parents (which does not mean a "normal" family visit).

5km or 20km restrictions have no relation to travel to the airport with the intention to leave the country. Ireland has never closed it's borders.

5km or 20km restrictions have no relation to travel to the airport with the intention to leave the country. Ireland has never closed it's borders.
    True.

And it is only possible to leave the Country for those three reasons.

True.

And it is only possible to leave the Country for those three reasons.

Wrong. I don't need a reason if I want to leave the country.

Wrong. I don't need a reason if I want to leave the country.
    You do.
    You either have those three reasons: work/medical/urgent assistance to family; or repatriation (if you are not Irish)
    The official Gov FAQ states that travel is not allowed until the 20 July (phase 4).

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭d15ude

You do.
    You either have those three reasons: work/medical/urgent assistance to family; or repatriation (if you are not Irish)
    The official Gov FAQ states that travel is not allowed until the 20 July (phase 4).

Says here https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/e885b2-covid-19-coronavirus-travel-advice/

The department is advising against all non-essential travel overseas.

So it's allowed without any reason.

You do.

No. The travel restrictions relate to within the nation. Anyone can travel by air should they wish to do so.... if there are flights available. The problem is that most airlines are shut down until june/july.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Andhonest

I have a flight booked to Gatwick on the fifth of June. As it is non essential travel I cannot go. I contacted Ryanair on their live chat service to see what Ryanair are doing about customers who cannot travel. I think I got a person, not a robot, but they said that 'Unless the flight is cancelled there is no voucher or refund as Ryanair is a non refundable line'. That sounds to me like a standard policy - not a Covid 19 policy. The free change of date appears to be for travel up to 31 May. Surely if the government tells us we cant go beyond 5km Ryanair cant tell me it is turn up, or tough???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement