Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Varadkar is saying they get the information from the airports!!:eek::eek:

https://twitter.com/rtetwip/status/1287345081016635394

I hope this only applies to people arriving and not leaving the state.

Edit: of course the info comes from the passanger locator forms! Everything makes sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Nasty Nasty Nasty

Really pathetic to go after people like that at the airport.

Whatever minister made that decision should be ashamed of themselves.

I want to know who made that decision?

What type of country have we turned into.

Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

Varadkar is saying they get the information from the airports!!:eek::eek:

https://twitter.com/rtetwip/status/1287345081016635394

Edit: of course the info comes from the passanger locator forms! Everything makes sense now.

According to the Irish Times, "Dublin Airport clarified this morning that it doesn’t share data with third party agencies".

In the same article, it was stated that the data was obtained in a much simpler manner than that by Gardai:
    Sources say most people stopped at the airports were simply requested to give their names, addresses and PPS numbers and they complied (perhaps not being aware that they had a choice).

As the IT points out, Gardaí have no general power to demand a name and address unless they have a reasonable suspicion you have committed a road traffic or public order offence. They can request one however and, in practice most people provide it.

carveone wrote: »
    According to the Irish Times, "Dublin Airport clarified this morning that it doesn’t share data with third party agencies".

In the same article, it was stated that the data was obtained in a much simpler manner than that by Gardai:
    Sources say most people stopped at the airports were simply requested to give their names, addresses and PPS numbers and they complied (perhaps not being aware that they had a choice).

As the IT points out, Gardaí have no general power to demand a name and address unless they have a reasonable suspicion you have committed a road traffic or public order offence. They can request one however and, in practice most people provide it.

People were basically tricked into giving their data, this is grotesque.

And now they've lost their money, what will happen to them? There's sweet fa jobs due to the lockdown.

Good grief, I hope the government would be pale with terror if Gardai started looking for details from people leaving the state. I'm not trying to start anything here but if it was, say a pregnant woman going to the UK, that would be a complete sh*itstorm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

So....

Leo points at the airport, people believe him.

The airport points at the Gardai, people believe them

Social cite a number of ways they obtain info, people make presumptions.

Gardai don't answer officially....... Yet

The newspaper blames both the Gardai and social.

Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

People were basically tricked into giving their data, this is grotesque.

And now they've lost their money, what will happen to them? There's sweet fa jobs due to the lockdown.

Its almost like they shouldn't have gone on holiday?

Again actions have consequences. Hope the holiday was worth it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Good grief, I hope the government would be pale with terror if Gardai started looking for details from people leaving the state. I'm not trying to start anything here but if it was, say a pregnant woman going to the UK, that would be a complete sh*itstorm.

Is Britain on the green list?

Especially after a referendum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

According to the government we are part of the EU and you can't stop people coming in to the country so testing at the borders wouldn't achieve a whole lot.

The CMO is wrong on that. Within a month we will have some kind of testing regime at the airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Please could someone tell me what the problem is. I'd have no problem giving my PPSN, my address etc.

What is all the foaming about? Genuinely would like to know now.

Please could someone tell me what the problem is. I'd have no problem giving my PPSN, my address etc.

If it's the Gardai, they are doing socal welfares dirty work for them without any remit.

If it's social welfare putting people in the airport askibg random people for personal information, it's over the line.

Other than that, people disagree with pup bring cut because people went on holiday and see being punished for it. A position I personally agree with.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Is Britain on the green list?

I did say I wasn't trying to start anything! :o

No it isn't but that wasn't the point of the post. The point of the last few posts is that the government is making a balls of things. It takes time to organise a holiday - I was under the impression a few weeks ago that Spain might be ok and I was on JB (not now - I was laid off in February and it's run out so I'm on zero income now). And suddenly it isn't.

Here's one I just thought of - is a holiday in Limavady a staycation or not? (OK, that's definitely starting something. I suppose it isn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Do you have any official link? I am not on the PUP but if I am asked I am not showing them anything

If the Govt don't want people to fly legislate for it correctly. Simples.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

pjohnson wrote: »
    Its almost like they shouldn't have gone on holiday?

Again actions have consequences. Hope the holiday was worth it for them.

Troll effort 1/10.

If it's the Gardai, they are doing socal welfares dirty work for them without any remit.

If it's social welfare putting people in the airport askibg random people for personal information, it's over the line.

Other than that, people disagree with pup bring cut because people went on holiday and see being punished for it. A position I personally agree with.

Fair enough. thanks.

Don't see why you think it is "dirty work" though. I think it is well warranted and should have been done long ago.

Seriously, you think this type of behavior is acceptable?

Whatever your opinion on people who are doing this is, this is a scary move.

Who dare judge a person getting on a plane out of this country for their own reasons.

To think a Minister in this government actually arranged this is disturbing. I want to know who it was that made this decision.

For a country that has boasted about how liberal it is in recent years, the current actions of our government are among the most conservative and dangerous we have seen in Europe.

People look a gasp at what is going on in Poland and Hungary and yet at home in Ireland, this sort of thing is going on.

It is disgusting.

Fair enough. thanks.

Don't see why you think it is "dirty work" though. I think it is well warranted and should have been done long ago.

It's sneaky and not the job of the police.

• Advertisement

Who dare judge a person getting on a plane out of this country for their own reasons.

To think a Minister in this government actually arranged this is disturbing. I want to know who it was that made this decision.

For a country that has boasted about how liberal it is in recent years, the current actions of our government are among the most conservative and dangerous we have seen in Europe.

People look a gasp at what is going on in Poland and Hungary and yet at home in Ireland, this sort of thing is going on.

It is disgusting.

Social protection has always been a bad name for the department. Do all they can to deny decent people. Junkie with ten kids? Want fries with that?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Fair enough. thanks.

How about the Gardai catch criminals causing trouble in housing estates ect. There's hundreds of other things they should be doing. Saving the government a year's pup won't even pay for Jack Chamber's 16k top up.

gral6 wrote: »
    Do you have any official link? I am not on the PUP but if I am asked I am not showing them anything

Well, no I don't. I was taking the Irish Times word for it in this instance (I don't usually take anyone's word for anything!)
    Fann Linn wrote: »
    If the Govt don't want people to fly legislate for it correctly. Simples.

Exactly - it's hard to say you aren't supposed to travel to Spain when Aer Lingus have two flights a day going out (45 quid each way!). It's even harder to say you lose PUP when the gov.ie website said nothing about "actively looking for a job" until today. And still doesn't say it in Irish. And there was no rule at all until two weeks ago and few people seemed to have known about the change anyway.

And two weeks before that Spain was just fine and holidaymakers were going there in droves (I'm speculating on that based on the number of sold out Aer Lingus flights to Malaga).

It's justifiable to say you have to self-isolate when you come back though. Might be more justifiable if someone was checking though. If I went to Spain (which I could do without social welfare issues because i'm on zero income now) I'd self-isolate when I came back. Well I'd have to - I can't very bitch about others not doing it and not do it myself :P

It is disgusting.

Calm down. It is nothing like Poland and Hungary, that is their problem it is not ours.

Realistically leaving this country for frivolous beer drinking or whatever jollies is not looking good, but those people will, and don't give a shyt.

We have pulled together so much so far, but there will always be the rebellious sort and the entitled who will fk it up for us all.

Am all in favour of more checks at our ports and airports. Nothing to hide, nothing to fear. If you think differently join ICCL.

It's sneaky and not the job of the police.

Few care, except on here. Which in fairness is not the barometer of the country's thinking.

I am happy anyway and I reckon very many are too.

People said I was crazy for returning from my holiday courtesy of our northern neighbours.

Looks like it was a masterstroke! :eek:

Calm down. It is nothing like Poland and Hungary, that is their problem it is not ours.

Realistically leaving this country for frivolous beer drinking or whatever jollies is not looking good, but those people will, and don't give a shyt.

We have pulled together so much so far, but there will always be the rebellious sort and the entitled who will fk it up for us all.

Am all in favour of more checks at our ports and airports. Nothing to hide, nothing to fear. If you think differently join ICCL.

Jesus, that is a scary reply- hopefully not a representation of what goes through the heads of any of our elected representatives.

Few care, except on here. Which in fairness is not the barometer of the country's thinking.

I bet your ancestors supported General Franco.

Any links to back that up?

• Advertisement

Just stay at home, don't provoke anything, don't be the big I Am, just try to love your country and not be idiotic and try to justify your jolly abroad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement