Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just stay at home, don't provoke anything, don't be the big I Am, just try to love your country and not be idiotic and try to justify your jolly abroad.

But some of these other countries are actually safer than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Limpy wrote: »
    Troll effort 1/10.

I know some hate having to face consequences of their actions. Easier to blame some kind of government conspiracy than look in the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Boards is not representative of normal life out there.

Gotta remember that always.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Fann Linn wrote: »

Its Just trying to troll, don't feed it.

Fann Linn wrote: »

Just spend your money at home. Doh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Boards is not representative of normal life out there.

Gotta remember that always.

This forum even moreso than usual :pac:

pjohnson wrote: »
    This forum even moreso than usual :pac:

Thank you.

It is troll central now sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Nice to see our DPC taking an interest.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40023047.html

OK, but there may be a bit of justifying their existence too. Have to keep the old gravy train going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

OK, but there may be a bit of justifying their existence too. Have to keep the old gravy train going.

How can you be so blasé as a police state is being erected before your Spanish Eyes?

It's unsettling how conformist you are.

• Advertisement

I'm happy that there is someone who believes our data deserves protection. Btw her office doesn't have to justify its existence, the fact you even said that shows basic ignorance of the work they do.
    If you're happy for government through their agents to run roughshod over your rights that's your prerogative not everyone feels the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

How do government departments continue to give out incorrect statements!! The mind boggles!!

Quote from Department of Social Protection
    "However we are not living in normal circumstances. Given that the clear public health advice is not to travel abroad except for essential reasons, the Department temporarily suspended this flexibility on 10 July."

Quote from Department of Foreign Affairs
    In accordance with Government policy, which is based on official public health advice, the Department of Foreign Affairs continues to advise against non-essential travel overseas. This includes Great Britain but does not apply to Northern Ireland. It also includes all travel by cruise ship. However, as of 21 July, travel to a very limited set of locations is exempted from this advice. The security status for those locations to which non-essential travel can resume has been changed to ‘normal precautions’ (“green”) rating. Individuals arriving in Ireland from these locations will not be required to restrict their movements on arrival. These locations are:

Can the Taoiseach brief his Ministers on the rules please, it is beyond a joke.

I think the GDPR is unreal. It is going the other way now.

I have no issue with my details being known to anyone via a Gov Department.

I don't understand the worry warts anymore.

This is the future and they know more about us on here, Facebook and Instagram anyway. Gwan now, it is a Government Department for the bewildered!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Once again our shambles government strikes.

Someone please explain, WHY would someone that was temporarily let go, and thus put on covid-19 payment until they resume work, be actively seeking work?

Complete and utter nonsense

And aswell to issue a greenlist last week, and now condemn those that go but are in receipt of SW payment.

Be more in their line to set up testing at airports instead of spending thousands on this stupid investigation to catch what hahaha 140 people last week out of about 60,000? They're more than happy to throw money at people who don't deserve it normally, so what's changed?!

. F*CKING IDIOTS.

And all these naive tools commenting on facebook 'U shudnt be going on holidayz anywai de government said so'

There are many many many reasons a person would travel right now. Not just holidays. Doesn't have to be completely essential either.

They are running this country into the ground. Taking the piss out of our citizens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

I think the GDPR is unreal. I really think there should be open information about everyone.

I have no issue with my details being known to anyone.

This is the future and they know more about us on here, Facebook and Instagram anyway. Gwan now, it is a Government Department for the bewildered!

Says the woman terrified of taking a holiday because of Covid 19.

The irony is off the charts! :eek:

I think the GDPR is unreal. I really think there should be open information about everyone.

I have no issue with my details being known to anyone.

You called this Troll Central, your post fits the definition of trolling.

How can you be so blasé as a police state is being erected before your Spanish Eyes?

It's unsettling how conformist you are.

Jesus. Hyperbole much?

Other countries issue fines for not wearing masks. Close their borders and force mandatory quarantine on arrivals.

Ireland..... Gave some advise and asked you nicely to follow it.

I fail to understand the angst regarding the DPC now.

Those who care obviously are afraid of something or other. Me, no I don't care there is so much out there about everyone that we just don't know anymore. But who really cares now, it is done I think.

Says the woman terrified of taking a holiday because of Covid 19.

The irony is off the charts! :eek:

You are on ignore now. Idiot.

You called this Troll Central, your post fits the definition of trolling.

Thanks so much. It is a minefield here now.

But you failed to say why my post was Trolling. Easily done no worries.

• Advertisement

I fail to understand the angst regarding the DPC now.

Those who care obviously are afraid of something or other. Me, no I don't care there is so much out there about everyone that we just don't know anymore. But who really cares now, it is done I think.

It annoys me and I'm not a regular social welfare recipient. Was on JB once before. Working now.

It just annoys me so much that the government are pretending to ensure everything is ''ooh so safe " then they go spend thousands on this ridiculous investigation when really if they cared about safety/covid-19 they would have ensured there was proper temperature checks, testing, medical professionals on site at the airport rather than DSP and Revenue officials trying to catch people out.

Thanks so much. It is a minefield here now.

But you failed to say why my post was Trolling. Easily done no worries.

I don't need to say anything, your post says it all.

I don't need to say anything, your post says it all.

You are so perfect of course. Well done my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ThatsNotMyCat

Travelled to Ireland from London last week, as stated in previous posts for family reasons.

Both airports practically deserted. Felt reassuringly safe. Temperature checked in London but not Dublin.

Plane 1/3 full. Everyone wearing masks with the exception of my small baby of course.

Handed over form as we went through passport control. No issues at all. No phone call yet, one week in.

Travelled to Ireland from London last week, as stated in previous posts for family reasons.

Both airports practically deserted. Felt reassuringly safe. Temperature checked in London but not Dublin.

Plane 1/3 full. Everyone wearing masks with the exception of my small baby of course.

Handed over form as we went through passport control. No issues at all. No phone call yet, one week in.

Not surprised you haven't had a phone call yet. I heard something crazy like less than 10% had been followed up or something. Could be wrong but heard it either from one of those prime time shows or simialr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

Interesting to read that in detail:
    It emerged on Sunday that 104 PUP cases have been stopped as a result of airport checks since July 7. In addition, 44 other social welfare payments (jobseekers' payments, means assessed payments) have also been closed.
    The rules changed on July 10, when Social Protection Minister Heather Humphrys signed a Statutory Instrument which amended the Social Welfare (Consolidated Claims, Payments and Control) Regulations 2007.

Now, the thing about 10 is that it's more than 7. So if people had PUP stopped when they came on July 7th, on what grounds was that based on. And the SI refers to the travel advisory, which by its nature isn't law. Because it's advice like. Which sounds pretty shaky to me. And I bet it sounds shaky to a lawyer too.

Also - the gov.ie website saying that you have to be "seeking work" to get PUP was only updated very recently. Like today. Today! The Irish version is still the same as before. The same!

To me, the thing is that over the last few months, the people of Ireland have just been going mad out of their way to play fair. Because we were asked to and the thing about Irish people is we have a sense of what's fair and what isn't and what we were asked to do seemed like the right and fair thing to do. If the govt had used a stick now, it would have been completely different. We don't do sticks.

And now the government is going "ah ha! we changed the rules while you weren't looking and didn't tell you and you tripped over them and we got you because you trusted the nice Guard at the airport and you got screwed because of it. Also we gave ourselves some more expenses.". Well. This is not the Right Way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Who did you travel with?

I'm considering going in a week and a half or so, from London to Dublin, also for family reasons. Absolutely dreading the very idea of it but am a bit more reassured after reading your post now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Who did you travel with?

I'm considering going in a week and a half or so, from London to Dublin, also for family reasons. Absolutely dreading the very idea of it but am a bit more reassured after reading your post now.

You've absolutely nothing to be afraid of. Airports and planes are so quiet at the moment and you'll probably have several rows to yourself. My experience was exactly the same as that poster's.A very safe and very distanced experience from A to B. And I, too, am one week in and no phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Ahhh hello government over-reach HELLO , did y”all ever hear of an airport called Belfast? Problem 100% solved. Have a nice day

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/status/1287680709038157825?s=20

Here's an interesting thread.

I don't think people should be travelling currently but this is a serious data protection issue and it's going to end up being incriminating to any number of people when it's investigated. Like, the buck stops somewhere.

521273.jpg

Well done Varadkar in wrecking people's faith in the app, rightly or wrongfully it's bollocksed now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement